Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,401 members, 7,815,876 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:04 PM

Why Have We Refused To Stop Body-shaming? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Why Have We Refused To Stop Body-shaming? (285 Views)

How Do I Tell This Guy To Stop Eating In My House? / What Meals Do I Need To Avoid To Stop Growing Fat? / "I Bought Plastic Fake Fish That Refused To Cook" - Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Have We Refused To Stop Body-shaming? by Theladysroom: 1:28pm On Jul 22, 2020
There is a story my mum often tells. She says that when I was a baby, I was very fat. I had round chubby cheeks, with rolls on my neck, thighs, and hands. Our neighbours and my mum’s colleagues decided it was more than baby fat.

“She is a girl,” they told my mum

“You better watch her weight now that she is still a baby”

They even advised my mum to reduce my food or give me only water to drink until I shed the fat. My mum was confused, she didn’t want me to grow in a society where people would treat me terribly for being fat and blame her for not “watching” my weight. She took me to a doctor who promptly dismissed those concerns and encouraged her to feed me properly because babies need good food to develop their brains and motor skills.

A few years later, I became very skinny, and it was those same neighbours and friends who started hounding my mum: “Are you feeding this child at all? Why is she so thin?”

The thing is, our culture of body shaming women dates back to pre-adolescence. And people who are guilty of body shaming are always quick to say, “It’s because I care about the person,” or “I was only pointing out the fact” etc. Evidence has shown that body-shaming deeply affects people, especially women and most of the victims end of taking their life. If you really care about people here are some ways to help without body shaming.
https://theladysroom.ng/why-have-we-refused-to-stop-body-shaming/

Re: Why Have We Refused To Stop Body-shaming? by thesicilian: 1:38pm On Jul 22, 2020
Body shaming young children is totally despicable. But for those adults who decide to expose themselves indecently online for whatever reasons, I don't feel sorry for them when they're being body-shamed and cyber-bullied

(1) (Reply)

Peanut Bar - Your Homemade Energy Bar / Baked Pasta With Mozzarella And Chickens / Thailand Fish Dealers.....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.