Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,484 members, 7,823,125 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:54 AM

No Record Of Obasa As A Lawyer In Our Registry - Supreme Court - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / No Record Of Obasa As A Lawyer In Our Registry - Supreme Court (39843 Views)

Pictures Of Lagos Speaker, Obasa As A Lawyer Emerge / Obasa’s Wife Receives N10m Illegal Monthly Allocation From Lagos Assembly - SR / Obasa Gets N17m Monthly For Maintenance Of Personal Residence, Guest House (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: No Record Of Obasa As A Lawyer In Our Registry - Supreme Court by christinme224(m): 11:29am On Jul 28, 2020
NOC1:
Are they talking about being a lawyer or a barrister?

People mistake this two things, however I read where they said he went to law school, he might have, but didn’t pass, so you can’t see his name on register but that doesn’t stop him from answering a law graduate.

On his biography as pasted here, he never claimed to have graduated from Law School, he ended it at his University degree. If that’s what he has been using to work he has no problem.

Is just like an Engineering graduate who is not registered with COREN you have Engineering degree but you are not a registered Engineer but not human can stop you from saying you graduated as an Engineer from university.

I know same is applicable to pharmacy and Accountancy
NOC1:
Are they talking about being a lawyer or a barrister?

People mistake this two things, however I read where they said he went to law school, he might have, but didn’t pass, so you can’t see his name on register but that doesn’t stop him from answering a law graduate.

On his biography as pasted here, he never claimed to have graduated from Law School, he ended it at his University degree. If that’s what he has been using to work he has no problem.

Is just like an Engineering graduate who is not registered with COREN you have Engineering degree but you are not a registered Engineer but not human can stop you from saying you graduated as an Engineer from university.

[quote author=NOC1 post=92163892]Are they talking about being a lawyer or a barrister?

thank you very much , you are enlightened, this shows that you are graduate or undergraduate,
Re: No Record Of Obasa As A Lawyer In Our Registry - Supreme Court by hardbody: 12:24pm On Jul 28, 2020
SmartyPants:

See, those who work only with their law degrees are akin to a person with a degree from another field doing the same work. For example, a degree holder in biology can read a few articles online and go on to draft contracts for people. That is fine, and it doesn't make them a legal professional.

See Section 2(1) of the Legal Practitioners Act copied here under:

2. Entitlement to practise
(1) Subject to the provisions of this Act, a person shall be entitled to practise as a bar‐
rister and solicitor if, and only if, his name is on the roll.

While there is some merit in your analogy, i beg to differ on the interpretation that you have ascribed to S.2(1) of the LPA (LFR). It may take us further to check the definition clauses to determine how 'practice' has been defined. What does practice include? However, I will rather stick to your postulation for the time being. Kindly note though that it will be stretching it beyond reasonable proportions to assume that a person with any other degree will be able to take up the function that a trained 'law graduate' will be able to carry out.
Re: No Record Of Obasa As A Lawyer In Our Registry - Supreme Court by SmartyPants(m): 12:31pm On Jul 28, 2020
hardbody:

While there is some merit in your analogy, i beg to differ on the interpretation that you have ascribed to S.2(1) of the LPA (LFR). It may take us further to check the definition clauses to determine how 'practice' has been defined. What does practice include? However, I will rather stick to your postulation for the time being. Kindly note though that it will be stretching it beyond reasonable proportions to assume that a person with any other degree will be able to take up the function that a trained 'law graduate' will be able to carry out.

1. There is no need need to seek for a legal interpretation of practice. The first canon of interpretation is that ordinary words must be given their ordinary meaning and technical words must be given their technical meaning. Within both contexts, it is clear what practice means, i.e the application of one's training.

Having said that, the key is that one cannot practice as a Solicitor going by that povision.

The Act is available online.

2. As a trained law graduate myself I can tell you categorically that at University level Law is a theoretical and academic pursuit that teaches you more of the what and the why but less of the how. upon graduation you are only marginally more enlightened as to the how than the layman. This is the reason we then proceed to the Law school/Bar school, where we are trained on the hows.
Re: No Record Of Obasa As A Lawyer In Our Registry - Supreme Court by TheAdvocate(m): 12:33pm On Jul 28, 2020
LegendHero:
The Supreme Court stated in the letter that:

He is at liberty to come to this honorable court with his Call to bar and qualifying certificates for enrollment.

Could it be the lawyers have to enroll to be included in the Rolls of Legal Practitioner record?

That's the practice. Immediately you are called to the bar by the Body of Benchers, you carry your call to bar certificate to the Supreme Court for enrollment. It's possible to have a lawyer practicing without being enrolled. Some of them found out this during the verification.

In 2007 during my call, I went straight from Law School Bwari to the Supreme Court and my name was written in a book we call "Book of Life".

1 Like

Re: No Record Of Obasa As A Lawyer In Our Registry - Supreme Court by Sunnyja: 12:40pm On Jul 28, 2020
Newboss:

Attendance is not graduation. If you don't pass the exam, you won't be called to Bar. That doesn't change the fact that you have a degree in law. You're not just licensed to practice law in Nigeria
How can he graduate from law school if he didn't pass the exam. Can a final year student of engineering walk away from the Last semester exam and then boldly tell his friends 5 years later, "I graduated 5 years ago?!

1 Like

Re: No Record Of Obasa As A Lawyer In Our Registry - Supreme Court by hardbody: 1:22pm On Jul 28, 2020
SmartyPants:

1. There is no need need to seek for a legal interpretation of practice. The first canon of interpretation is that ordinary words must be given their ordinary meaning and technical words must be given their technical meaning. Within both contexts, it is clear what practice means, i.e the application of one's training.

Having said that, the key is that one cannot practice as a Solicitor going by that povision.

The Act is available online.

2. As a trained law graduate myself I can tell you categorically that at University level Law is a theoretical and academic pursuit that teaches you more of the what and the why but less of the how. upon graduation you are only marginally more enlightened as to the how than the layman. This is the reason we then proceed to the Law school/Bar school, where we are trained on the hows.

What law School does is to teach you procedure. That is basically what you need in Law practice. Procedure deals mostly with interactions with the courts, filing of papers, preparing pleadings, making appearances, etc. These are the only things you do not learn in the university. If procedure (and bits of legal drafting and conveyancing) is what is taught in the law school, it stands to reason that your University training has given you enough knowledge to stand you apart from the non law graduate. There is a reason you must take a minimum number of core courses.

On interpretation, while ordinary words must be given their ordinary meanings, where there is ambiguity as to how I understand the ordinary words what then happens? I have my views as to what practice means.

As an example, is a person who has been called to the bar but is working in a paid employment practicing law? Who has the right of appearance before a court, who indeed is a legal practitioner? Practice therefore is not that clear cut Sir.
Re: No Record Of Obasa As A Lawyer In Our Registry - Supreme Court by bigfish3k: 5:58pm On Jul 28, 2020
SirBunky85:
keep deceiving urself.someone dat hates godfatherism still went begging pdp godfathers with Edo peoples money just to get their ticket yet,you see nothing wrong in dat abi?Mr man ,its either gullible or you are just a hypocrite
But even if anybody wants to be a Godfather in edo state it shouldn't be oshiomole who rose to the top on the premise of fighting Godfatherism

You will be more hypocritical than me if you support him to be a Godfather after supporting him to fight it
And also
Oshiomole will be more hypocritical than me if he aspires to be a Godfather which he fought against to rise or maybe he was just jealous of the former Godfathers that he wanted to only displace them to install himself

With the above you can now see that you and oshiomole are better hypocrites
Re: No Record Of Obasa As A Lawyer In Our Registry - Supreme Court by SirBunky85(m): 10:12am On Jul 29, 2020
bigfish3k:

But even if anybody wants to be a Godfather in edo state it shouldn't be oshiomole
can u now see how u have finally revealed ur true self as a hypocrite?so any other person with the exception of oshiomole can assume the role of a godfather abi?welldone
Re: No Record Of Obasa As A Lawyer In Our Registry - Supreme Court by bigfish3k: 10:24am On Jul 29, 2020
SirBunky85:
can u now see how u have finally revealed ur true self as a hypocrite?so any other person with the exception of oshiomole can assume the role of a godfather abi?welldone
Yes, I stand by my statement because oshiomole is against Godfatherism.
He has not explained his u-turn which will benefit him
I expect him to desist from being a godfather and also to join hands with obaseki to fight other would be Godfathers
Re: No Record Of Obasa As A Lawyer In Our Registry - Supreme Court by SirBunky85(m): 10:26am On Jul 29, 2020
bigfish3k:

Yes, I stand by my statement because oshiomole is against Godfatherism.
He has not explained his u-turn which will benefit him
it's good u stand on ur statement but stop deceiving the gullible ones with ur hypocrisy dat u are against godfatherism when in the actual sense,u like godfatherism but u don't want oshiomole to assume such
Re: No Record Of Obasa As A Lawyer In Our Registry - Supreme Court by bigfish3k: 10:29am On Jul 29, 2020
SirBunky85:
it's good u stand on ur statement but stop deceiving the gullible ones with ur hypocrisy dat u are against godfatherism when in the actual sense,u like godfatherism but u don't want oshiomole to assume such
Oshiomoles principles against godfatherism is standing against him not me
Re: No Record Of Obasa As A Lawyer In Our Registry - Supreme Court by SirBunky85(m): 10:30am On Jul 29, 2020
bigfish3k:

Oshiomoles principles against godfatherism is standing against him not me
u can't stand against oshiomole but u are a hypocrite for supporting godfatherism once it's not oshomole
Re: No Record Of Obasa As A Lawyer In Our Registry - Supreme Court by bigfish3k: 10:42am On Jul 29, 2020
SirBunky85:
u can't stand against oshiomole but u are a hypocrite for supporting godfatherism
I am against godfatherism of any sort
Nigerians should be allowed freedom of choice and not a godfather imposed governors

Hope you remember all these mess/quarrels
1.ladoja VS adedibu - Oyo state
2.akpabio VS udom - akwa ibom
3.wike VS amaechi - Rivers
4.jonathan VS Dickson - bayelsa
5.obaseki VS oshiomole - edo
6.sullivan VS chimaroke - enugu
7.t.a orji VS orji kalu - Abia
8.obiano VS Peter obi - anambra

Godfatherism cannot thrive in the SS and SE. It's impossible, we are free thinkers

1 Like

Re: No Record Of Obasa As A Lawyer In Our Registry - Supreme Court by SirBunky85(m): 4:31pm On Jul 29, 2020
bigfish3k:

I am against godfatherism of any sort
Nigerians should be allowed freedom of choice and not a godfather imposed governors

Hope you remember all these mess/quarrels
1.ladoja VS adedibu - Oyo state
2.akpabio VS udom - akwa ibom
3.wike VS amaechi - Rivers
4.jonathan VS Dickson - bayelsa
5.obaseki VS oshiomole - edo
6.sullivan VS chimaroke - enugu
7.t.a orji VS orji kalu - Abia
8.obiano VS Peter obi - anambra

Godfatherism cannot thrive in the SS and SE. It's impossible, we are free thinkers
I hold u by ur words which is,"any other person can be a godfather in Edo state with the exception of oshiomole"
Re: No Record Of Obasa As A Lawyer In Our Registry - Supreme Court by bigfish3k: 5:05pm On Jul 29, 2020
SirBunky85:
I hold u by ur words which is,"any other person can be a godfather in Edo state with the exception of oshiomole"
I said it because you were insisting there must be a godfather
I said, OK, if there must be then it shouldn't be oshiomole whose principles are against it
Re: No Record Of Obasa As A Lawyer In Our Registry - Supreme Court by SirBunky85(m): 6:24pm On Jul 29, 2020
[quote author=bigfish3k post=92238961]
I said it because you were insisting there must be a godfather
I said, OK, if there must be then it shouldn't be oshiomole whose principles are against it [/quote
U didnt say any "if"u categorically said any other person can be the godfatherism in Edo but not oshiomole.therefore,you are a hypocrite

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

This Kumuyi Is Simply Different - Femi Adesina / Usuman Baba Brings Back SARS, Releases New Terms And Conditions - SR / Obaseki Can Rejoin Our Party Only If He Drops From Governorship Race- APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.