Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,237 members, 7,818,795 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:02 AM

Househusband? How Does It Feel Like - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Househusband? How Does It Feel Like (1468 Views)

I Feel Like Giving Up, I Have Failed My Children / How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? / What Does It Mean For Babies To Be Looking Through Their Legs? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Househusband? How Does It Feel Like by Casemiro(m): 4:17pm On Jul 28, 2020
It is known that some men prefer housewives who are always at home.

Now let's look at it from a different angle. What about househusbands? How does it feel like to be one.

By househusbands, I don't mean a man who sits at home washing the dishes, cooking, and doing the laundry while the wife is out there doing one business or the other to bring food to the table.

By househusband, I mean a man who makes his money passively and doesn't need to go out everyday to bring food to the table. He probably has a business that fetches him money, maybe he is into real estate, works online as a freelancer, has many shops with boys, or any other source that gives him ample time to stay at home.

such men prefer staying at home than hanging out all day.

So, how does it feel like to be a househusband?

Your input is highly appreciated
Re: Househusband? How Does It Feel Like by bukatyne(f): 4:41pm On Jul 28, 2020
Casemiro:

Now let's look at it from a different angle. What about househusbands? How does it feel like to be one.

By househusbands, I don't mean a man who sits at home washing the dishes, cooking, and doing the laundry while the wife is out there doing one business or the other to bring food to the table.

By househusband, I mean a man who makes his money passively and doesn't need to go out everyday to bring food to the table. He probably has a business that fetches him money, maybe he is into real estate, works online as a freelancer, has many shops with boys, or any other source that gives him ample time to stay at home.

@bold:

That is the corresponding definition of a househusband.

What you are describing is a work from home husband.

If you are sure that your 'passive' income is enough to be financially responsible to your family, why not?

4 Likes

Re: Househusband? How Does It Feel Like by Casemiro(m): 5:58pm On Jul 28, 2020
bukatyne:

@bold:

That is the corresponding definition of a househusband.

What you are describing is a work from home husband.

If you are sure that your 'passive' income is enough to be financially responsible to your family, why not?

it's alright.

don't you think it could lead to some minor issues especially if the wife stays home too?

For instance, this lockdown turned some lovers into haters
Re: Househusband? How Does It Feel Like by merieam16(f): 6:53pm On Jul 28, 2020
Re: Househusband? How Does It Feel Like by bukatyne(f): 7:02pm On Jul 28, 2020
Casemiro:

it's alright.

don't you think it could lead to some minor issues especially if the wife stays home too?

In a healthy marriage, why should a couple staying together all day lead to minor issues?

If they are afraid to stay together all day, then they should work on their marriage.

9 Likes

Re: Househusband? How Does It Feel Like by Hathor5(f): 7:05pm On Jul 28, 2020
Casemiro:

If my job brings in more money, this solution would be highly welcomed.

I am suspicious of this solution and I don't want a man who hangs out all day even if he can afford to.
Re: Househusband? How Does It Feel Like by mariahAngel(f): 8:06pm On Jul 28, 2020
No hardworking man would like to be a househusband, even if he earns a lot working from home.
Even the word Househusband is unattractive. A total turnoff.
One would easily get bored of such men even as a housewife.

There's something very attractive about men who go out to work and come home later in the day.
For such men, you'd do anything to please. cool
To me, a handsome man is a hardworking man, not a fine boy.

Munzy14, I wu househusband k'owu hardworking Dike? cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Househusband? How Does It Feel Like by mariahAngel(f): 8:10pm On Jul 28, 2020
Hathor5:

I am suspicious of this solution and I don't want a man who hangs out all day even if he can afford to.

Who wants a househusband? grin
Re: Househusband? How Does It Feel Like by Unnerve: 8:27pm On Jul 28, 2020
Casemiro:

This is the definition of a househusband, and if feminism and gender equality should ever be taken seriously, then there's nothing wrong with a househusband going by the above definition.

It's a brave new world and I recommend that all feminists (in staying true to their belief) ought not to have any issues with househusbands, they may also ensure they are married to such.
I love women who can walk their talk.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Househusband? How Does It Feel Like by Hathor5(f): 8:43pm On Jul 28, 2020
mariahAngel:

Who wants a househusband? grin

Me! I hate chores and I don't enjoy playing with children all day long so I'd rather work than change diapers. So unless it doesn't make sense financially for him to stay at home because he makes more money than I do, I don't see why turning traditional roles upside down should be a problem.

It would be for a limited period of time anyway because I don't see why anyone would want to sit at home when the kids are old enough to be at nursery. Most mothers I know have resumed work, even if only part-time, once the kids were old enough to visit nursery.

Though I enjoy cooking, I imagine the husband to be waiting for me at home with the kind of meals the gentlemen from the food section prepare. cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Househusband? How Does It Feel Like by Hathor5(f): 8:48pm On Jul 28, 2020
Unnerve:

This is the definition of a househusband, and if feminism and gender equality should ever be taken seriously, then there's nothing wrong with a househusband going by the above definition.

It's a brave new world and I recommend that all feminists (in staying true to their belief) ought not to have any issues with househusbands, and may also ensure they are married to such.

Isn't feminism about the freedom of choice?

1 Like

Re: Househusband? How Does It Feel Like by mariahAngel(f): 8:56pm On Jul 28, 2020
Hathor5:

Me! I hate chores and I don't enjoy playing with children all day long so I'd rather work than change diapers. So unless it doesn't make sense financially for him to stay at home because he makes more money than I do, I don't see why turning traditional roles upside down should be a problem.

It would be for a limited period of time anyway because I don't see why anyone would want to sit at home when the kids are old enough to be at nursery. Most mothers I know have resumed work, even if only part-time, once the kids were old enough to visit nursery.

Though I enjoy cooking, I imagine the husband to be waiting for me at home with the kind of meals the gentlemen from the food section prepare. cheesy

Well, for me, I'm very traditional.
I do not fancy a man being a househusband at all. cheesy

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Househusband? How Does It Feel Like by Hathor5(f): 9:00pm On Jul 28, 2020
mariahAngel:

Well, for me, I'm very traditional.
I do not fancy a man being a househusband at all. cheesy

It's good you know what works for you.
Re: Househusband? How Does It Feel Like by Unnerve: 9:05pm On Jul 28, 2020
Hathor5:

I wouldn't know. Is it?

What I do know however, is that feminists are never happy with women who chose to be completely submissive, to worship, and to grovel at the feet of their husbands.

It's possible that this freedom of choice in feminism is strictly limited to only those choices already deemed appropriate in the feminist handbook.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Househusband? How Does It Feel Like by pocohantas(f): 9:07pm On Jul 28, 2020
Hathor5:

They can twist logic on its head sha. Anything to counter their feminism. grin

1 Like

Re: Househusband? How Does It Feel Like by pocohantas(f): 9:23pm On Jul 28, 2020
Unnerve:

I wouldn't know. Is it?

What I do know however, is that feminists are never happy with women who chose to be completely submissive, to worship, and to grovel at the feet of their husbands.

It's possible that this freedom of choice in feminism is strictly limited to only those choices already deemed appropriate in the feminist handbook.

And this is what ALL housewives do? All Nigerian housewives are completely submissive to worship and grovel at their husbands feet.

I will quote this for reference. grin grin grin

Take a chill pill and stick to the topic.

2 Likes

Re: Househusband? How Does It Feel Like by Hathor5(f): 9:27pm On Jul 28, 2020
Unnerve:

I wouldn't know. Is it?

You seem to know many feminists and how they always or never feel so you should also know that feminists can choose whichever roles they deem fit in their families. wink
Re: Househusband? How Does It Feel Like by Hathor5(f): 9:28pm On Jul 28, 2020
pocohantas:

They can twist logic on its head sha. Anything to counter their feminism. grin

The things I learn on NL. Truly impressive. cheesy
Re: Househusband? How Does It Feel Like by pocohantas(f): 9:30pm On Jul 28, 2020
Hathor5:

The things I learn on NL. Truly impressive. cheesy

Creating issues where there are none. Topic is very simple. E done bring feminist, e done add am submissive. Chineke! What next? Family planning will enter this matter. cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Househusband? How Does It Feel Like by Munzy14(m): 11:26pm On Jul 28, 2020
mariahAngel:
No hardworking man would like to be a househusband, even if he earns a lot working from home.

There's something very attractive about men who go out to work and come home later in the day.

House husband..cheesy very strange... We have not finish with housewife, and the challenges, ma ya fo kwa nke husband....

A man who wakes up, get dressed and leave for either work place or business venture has huge respect from the wife, than the one that sits at home, watching zee world, and always on laptop doing whatever... Even if you are earning from home, just go out, and come in... cheesy.

It's better when your wife opens the gate to welcome u, than the other way.

Ihe m wu, wu smart working Odogwu... grin

Just read OP's explanation... It's totally different from what we see in housewife.. A man in op's narrative is comfortably rich na... Even at that, I will still drive to biz office, interact with workers, learn one or two and return home... I am not even too extroverted nor introverted sef... just in middle as an Aquarius.

2 Likes

Re: Househusband? How Does It Feel Like by Nobody: 11:37pm On Jul 28, 2020
Unnecessary thread..

1 Like

Re: Househusband? How Does It Feel Like by Casemiro(m): 7:27am On Jul 29, 2020
bukatyne:

In a healthy marriage, why should a couple staying together all day lead to minor issues?

If they are afraid to stay together all day, then they should work on their marriage.

True.

But some of these couples were living a fairly happy life before the lockdown.

Don't you think such level of closeness may lead to 'see finish' ?

Re: Househusband? How Does It Feel Like by Casemiro(m): 7:29am On Jul 29, 2020
Hathor5:

If my job brings in more money, this solution would be highly welcomed.

so you would prefer a househusband who does more chores at home, provided you earn more.

Would the table turn around if he begins earning more
Re: Househusband? How Does It Feel Like by Casemiro(m): 7:31am On Jul 29, 2020
mariahAngel:

Traditionally, that's how it should be.
Re: Househusband? How Does It Feel Like by Casemiro(m): 7:33am On Jul 29, 2020
Unnerve:

It's a brave new world and I recommend that all feminists (in staying true to their belief) ought not to have any issues with househusbands, they may also ensure they are married to such.

Really. This concept isn't traditional
Re: Househusband? How Does It Feel Like by Casemiro(m): 7:38am On Jul 29, 2020
Munzy14:

House husband..cheesy very strange... We have not finish with housewife, and the challenges, ma ya fo kwa nke husband....

A man who wakes up, get dressed and leave for either work place or business venture has huge respect from the wife, than the one that sits at home, watching zee world, and always on laptop doing whatever... Even if you are earning from home, just go out, and come in... cheesy.

It's better when your wife opens the gate to welcome u, than the other way.

Ihe m wu, wu smart working Odogwu... grin

Just read OP's explanation... It's totally different from what we see in housewife.. A man in op's narrative is comfortably rich na... Even at that, I will still drive to biz office, interact with workers, learn one or two and return home... I am not even too extroverted nor introverted sef... just in middle as an Aquarius.

True.

That respect will begin to dwindle with time.

And respect is very important in marriage

1 Like

Re: Househusband? How Does It Feel Like by Unnerve: 7:48am On Jul 29, 2020
Casemiro:

Really. This concept isn't traditional
That's the point.
Feminism/gender equality is anti-traditional, much more modern and very progressive. Something we should all aspire to.

That aside, the concept/definition of a househusband is the direct equivalent of a housewife.
Working from home is an entirely different thing and does not make a man a househusband.

It's important that you get the definitions right, so the topic can be centered around what you really want to talk about, which I believe, are husbands who work from home.

1 Like

Re: Househusband? How Does It Feel Like by Acidosis(m): 8:12am On Jul 29, 2020
mariahAngel:

What's your definition of hardworking man?

And why do you feel you would get bored living with a man that works from home?

Have you ever met, dated, or married to a man that works from home?

1 Like

Re: Househusband? How Does It Feel Like by Acidosis(m): 8:15am On Jul 29, 2020
Casemiro:

it's alright.

If lockdown turned lovers into haters, then the lovers are f00lish and shouldn't be together in the first place.
Re: Househusband? How Does It Feel Like by Hathor5(f): 8:26am On Jul 29, 2020
Casemiro:

so you would prefer a househusband who does more chores at home, provided you earn more.

Would the table turn around if he begins earning more

Him earning more would not make me enjoy sitting at home all day long more but it would be better for our finances for him to be working.
Re: Househusband? How Does It Feel Like by Acidosis(m): 8:28am On Jul 29, 2020
Casemiro:

True.

But some of these couples were living a fairly happy life before the lockdown.

Don't you think such level of closeness may lead to 'see finish' ?

If your marriage hasn't gotten to the see finish level, then it is not a marriage but a WAR.

Couples are meant to see finish. And BTW, respect has nothing to do with going out of your house and coming back at night everyday. I've been working from home since 2014 and will continue to do so. Yet, respect has never been an issue to talk about in my years of dating and even now that I'm married.

Unless one lives in a slum or hell, leaving your home daily shouldn't be something you enjoy more than staying at home
with your family even if your job demands you travel 24/7.

Should one go out? Of course, that's why we have legs for mobility.

3 Likes

Re: Househusband? How Does It Feel Like by mariahAngel(f): 8:38am On Jul 29, 2020
Acidosis:

What's your definition of hardworking man?
A man who makes the most of his 24hrs

And why do you feel you would get bored living with a man that works from home?

What is there to look forward to in a man who stays home all day?
What is there to miss about him?

Have you ever met, dated, or married to a man that works from home?

Yes, I have.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How They Found A Fortune In The Belle Of A Whale! (Pictures) / Is It Possible To Love And Not Fight Your Mother-in-law / Shocking Response Nigerians Gave a Woman Whose Husband Raped Her 15yrs Daughter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.