Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,528 members, 7,823,299 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:19 AM

My Opinion About The Viral "Calm Down" Video, What Is Yours? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Opinion About The Viral "Calm Down" Video, What Is Yours? (4059 Views)

Mummy Calm Down: Oreofeoluwa Becomes Estate Ambassador In Abuja (PHOTOS) / Lady Recreates The "Calm Down" Video Of Boy And His Mother / Boy Becomes 'Calm Down' Ambassador After "Mummy Calm Down" Viral Video (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Opinion About The Viral "Calm Down" Video, What Is Yours? by Fuckspambot: 4:54pm On Jul 31, 2020
[s]
Hathor5:

Maybe or maybe you are used to a lot of fear and despair and the child sounds normal to you.
[/s]
Re: My Opinion About The Viral "Calm Down" Video, What Is Yours? by Fuckspambot: 4:55pm On Jul 31, 2020
[s]
Hathor5:

This is normal in your life, definitely not in my life and not for the people surrounding me.
[/s]
Re: My Opinion About The Viral "Calm Down" Video, What Is Yours? by UjuJoan2: 4:56pm On Jul 31, 2020
Unnerve:

Lol, drama cheesy cheesy

I already like her, she discovered your mumu button very early cheesy

Ahhh, she's a drama queen that girl. I laughed so hard when I watched that 'calm down' video because he reminded me so much of her. I was shocked when I found out it was an act . . she was barely 5 then. I never knew children that age could be so manipulative.

May God help us with them . . . Amen!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Opinion About The Viral "Calm Down" Video, What Is Yours? by Hathor5(f): 5:04pm On Jul 31, 2020
UjuJoan2:

I don't know how you see this spanking of a thing. It's not like whenever they do something wrong we go all out to beat them up. IT doesn't really work that way. Most times I only resort to flogging after ALL other methods have failed. . . . And only for very grievous offenses that were repeated over and over again.

I know it's easy to assume any child being flogged is being abused, but it's not necessarily true. A lot of children need that flogging for their brains to reset. What is important is to know what works for each child, and try not to go beyond any boundaries.

I also had parents who knew how to use the cane, and I used to think they went too far. But now, raising kids of my own, I see now that you just have to do that for some kids, sometimes. And funny enough, somehow, I didn't get as much beating as my siblings. I knew what was expected of me, and I just did it. If I made a mistake, I showed true remorse and somehow I never got flogged as much. My siblings used to think I was favored, but the truth is, I was so eager to make my parents happy and proud that I never even considered doing anything that would upset them.

People are made differently, just because some children turned out well without being flogged doesn't mean others won't need the cane to be responsible.

I am glad you see spanking as the last resort. I have found a thread here today where people narrate stories of the punishment they received from their parents during childhood. Go through this thread and maybe you will better understand why I am alarmed whenever I see a child cry and beg like the boy did.

I can't stand the sound of it and I won't apologize for it.
Re: My Opinion About The Viral "Calm Down" Video, What Is Yours? by joseph1832(m): 5:16pm On Jul 31, 2020
Ishilove:

And you had to highlight rod cheesy
ain't ma fault. Lol.
Re: My Opinion About The Viral "Calm Down" Video, What Is Yours? by OneMillionBoys(m): 5:32pm On Jul 31, 2020
[s]
Hathor5:

I am glad you see spanking as the last resort. I have found a thread here today where people narrate stories of the punishment they received from their parents during childhood. Go through this thread and maybe you will better understand why I am alarmed whenever I see a child cry and beg like the boy did.

I can't stand the sound of it and I won't apologize for it.
[/s]
Re: My Opinion About The Viral "Calm Down" Video, What Is Yours? by Queenlovely(f): 6:19pm On Jul 31, 2020
Omoyele Sowore
Re: My Opinion About The Viral "Calm Down" Video, What Is Yours? by DeeMain(m): 7:05pm On Jul 31, 2020
realtalk19:

The video was funny and he was being disciplined not tortured. Most of us got disciplined and flogged too either from parents or school as far back as the 1980s and we turned out great and so why making this issue a big deal. Some Kids these days dont respect or fear their parents or elders any more. Talking doesn't work for me all the time but constantly raising my Cain along without using it passes the message. I don't entertain misbehaving kids.

Fear is a wrong teacher. It can achieve you your goal of getting compliance but it can mess up or warp the mind of your child.

Most Nigerian parents use the line, "my parents beat me and I still turned out great" to justify child abuse or using violence to train their children. If you all turned out great as being touted Nigeria wouldn't have been this bad, unruly and ill--trained as a nation.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Opinion About The Viral "Calm Down" Video, What Is Yours? by realtalk19: 8:15pm On Jul 31, 2020
DeeMain:

Fear is a wrong teacher? It can achieve you your goal of getting compliance but it can mess up or warp the mind of your child.

Most Nigerian parents use the line, "my parents beat me and I still turned out great" to justify child abuse or using violence to train their children. If you all turned out great as being touted Nigeria wouldn't have been this bad, unruly and ill--trained as a nation.

Your opinion.

1 Like

Re: My Opinion About The Viral "Calm Down" Video, What Is Yours? by NoToPile: 11:16am On Aug 01, 2020
I was just laughing throughout ,Its only someone who hasn't raised or lived with children that would find the video unusual. They can be so dramatic.

Would I record my child displaying such -Yes
Would I upload on SM - nope

This one is not abuse at all.

1 Like

Re: My Opinion About The Viral "Calm Down" Video, What Is Yours? by lilioj: 12:54pm On Aug 01, 2020
I'm a mother and I do spank my kids when necessary but.... I couldn't watch that video for long, the way the kid was crying uncontrollably made me feel like crying. Call me emotional, putting out a video like that was all shades of cringyyyy. Well what do I know my fellow Nigerians say he has has blown all thanks to the video!!

1 Like

Re: My Opinion About The Viral "Calm Down" Video, What Is Yours? by Usorohtheman(m): 12:56pm On Aug 01, 2020
Hathor5:

Another one bringing up white kids for no good reason at all.

I pity all of you who think that this kind of crying is normal and your children to whose pleas and pain you will be deaf.

That video protray some of the reasons, why Nigerians can't protest and fight for their rights. Most Nigerians were intimidated by their parents during the growing up stage and so, fear has sticked to their minds.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Opinion About The Viral "Calm Down" Video, What Is Yours? by Hathor5(f): 3:21pm On Aug 01, 2020
Usorohtheman:

That video protray some of the reasons, why Nigerians can't protest and fight for their rights. Most Nigerians were intimidated by their parents during the growing up stage and so, fear has sticked to their minds.

They celebrate the boy for 'speaking up' and negotiating his way out of the punishment but at the same time refuse to get rid of disciplining methods that silence children. I put speaking up in quotation marks because they boy is begging and pleading and not really encouraged to speak up.
Re: My Opinion About The Viral "Calm Down" Video, What Is Yours? by Hathor5(f): 3:24pm On Aug 01, 2020
lilioj:
I'm a mother and I do spank my kids when necessary but.... I couldn't watch that video for long, the way the kid was crying uncontrollably made me feel like crying. Call me emotional, putting out a video like that was all shades of cringyyyy. Well what do I know my fellow Nigerians say he has has blown all thanks to the video!!

The last thing I would think of is to take out my phone to make a video when my child is in such an emotional state.
Re: My Opinion About The Viral "Calm Down" Video, What Is Yours? by descarado: 3:43pm On Aug 01, 2020
When people will know that lady did a despicable thing is if she want to migrate to a sane environment or got an international post e.g. UN. Just reference that video and that's the end.

Look at them celebrating child abuse proudly. Where has this training landed Nigeria and Nigerians?

U have been using this method donkey years, it hasn't produced the desired effect, so why continue?

And it's ladies that are championing this abomination shocked
Grow up and see that the world have left you all behind.
Re: My Opinion About The Viral "Calm Down" Video, What Is Yours? by liberalchick(f): 4:03pm On Aug 01, 2020
I don’t find the video funny and I don’t know why the video went viral. From the outside looking in its cringeworthy a mother will video a child in distress but we have to know it’s only the mother that knows if the child is really in distress. Some children are extremely dramatic that distress to an outsider is what the mother faces daily. While I will never video my child and post on social media, I think it’s a stretch to say the child is abused without knowing the child. For the person that referenced abroad and visa etc even a welfare worker will not jump to conclusions, he/she will interview neighbors, family, teachers etc.

I remember when social services was called on me because my child always came to school distressed and looked like someone that just finished a crying bout. My child absolutely hated breakfast, she would start crying once she sees you dishing the food. Now that she’s grown it’s a running joke how she would have been in foster care now.

4 Likes

Re: My Opinion About The Viral "Calm Down" Video, What Is Yours? by Ebenezer2030: 5:55pm On Aug 01, 2020
[s]
Hathor5:

The last thing I would think of is to take out my phone to make a video when my child is in such an emotional state.
[/s]
Re: My Opinion About The Viral "Calm Down" Video, What Is Yours? by Ebenezer2030: 5:55pm On Aug 01, 2020
[s]
Hathor5:

They celebrate the boy for 'speaking up' and negotiating his way out of the punishment but at the same time refuse to get rid of disciplining methods that silence children. I put speaking up in quotation marks because they boy is begging and pleading and not really encouraged to speak up.
[/s]
Re: My Opinion About The Viral "Calm Down" Video, What Is Yours? by Usorohtheman(m): 9:02am On Aug 15, 2020
Hathor5:

That's why Nigerians are suffering and smiling. We celebrate mediocrity in this country.

1 Like

Re: My Opinion About The Viral "Calm Down" Video, What Is Yours? by Hathor5(f): 2:52pm On Aug 15, 2020
Usorohtheman:

That's why Nigerians are suffering and smiling. We celebrate mediocrity in this country.

I agree!

2 Likes

Re: My Opinion About The Viral "Calm Down" Video, What Is Yours? by Usorohtheman(m): 3:41pm On Aug 15, 2020
Hathor5:

I agree!
How many times, do you agree??
Re: My Opinion About The Viral "Calm Down" Video, What Is Yours? by PropertyBuying(f): 3:49pm On Aug 15, 2020
Your opinion.
Re: My Opinion About The Viral "Calm Down" Video, What Is Yours? by PropertyBuying(f): 3:55pm On Aug 15, 2020
Your opinion..
Re: My Opinion About The Viral "Calm Down" Video, What Is Yours? by Nobody: 6:57pm On Jan 17, 2021
It corroborates the sayings in some quarters that most people give birth for selfish reasons

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

A Tribute To My Best Friend / Do We Still Feed Our Babies This Way??? / Best Divorce Letter Ever!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.