Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,822 members, 7,810,152 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:51 PM

Richard Gbadebo Death: Factory Mgt Holds Oyo Govt Officials Hostage - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Richard Gbadebo Death: Factory Mgt Holds Oyo Govt Officials Hostage (35803 Views)

Richard Gyamfi Arrested As 3 Human Heads Are Found In His Fridge (Graphic) / EFCC Arraigns 5 Sokoto Govt Officials Over ₦500m Scam / Armed Robbers Attack Union Bank In Igede Ekiti, Hold Town Hostage. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Richard Gbadebo Death: Factory Mgt Holds Oyo Govt Officials Hostage by Islie: 6:35pm On Aug 02, 2020
The government, then, directed that all workers in the factory, should exit the premises and later locked all the gates and sealed off the factory.

The Permanent Secretary, Oyo State Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources, Dr Bashir Olanrewaju, told journalists and ministry officials, numbering five that they were held hostage by the factory management.

Recalled that Richard Gbadebo, a 300-level student of the Department of European Studies, Faculty of Arts, University of Ibadan, died in an industrial accident on Monday.

The 21-year-old Richard was said to have died after he fell into the factory’s soap-making machine. The deceased student was said to be on a night shift.

Nylon was said to have rolled round his hand and in the process of trying to detach himself, the nylon drew him into the machine, which was said to have crushed him.

The mild drama occurred, when officials of the Department of Pollution Monitoring and Quality Control of the ministry, led by Dr Olanrewaju, got to the factory at Oluyole Estate Extension, to seal it to pave way for investigation.

It was learnt some of the workers resisted government’s move by holding them hostage for about 30 minutes, before the State Commissioner of Police, Nwachukwu Enwonwu, intervened and got them released.

Olanrewaju said: “The intention was to talk to them, not necessarily to disgrace them, as they need to be producing under a very safe environment. It was also to investigate to know how it actually happened, with a view to preventing such in the future.”

“But the management resisted our men, when we got there. We were held hostage. I was one of those held hostage. We invited the police and we were rescued, when the police came. Immediately, we called the police and they rescued us.”

“We are conducting investigation. After that, we will decide the next line of action to determine their culpability, whether the accident was preventable or not preventable, whether they made some mistakes and how the mistakes could have been prevented,” he explained.

SOURCE

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Richard Gbadebo Death: Factory Mgt Holds Oyo Govt Officials Hostage by Croccityboi123(m): 7:02pm On Aug 02, 2020
grin
Re: Richard Gbadebo Death: Factory Mgt Holds Oyo Govt Officials Hostage by ademidedavid(f): 7:29pm On Aug 02, 2020
It is only the authorities that can question the authority....I learnt the WAW company belongs to madam Ajimobi! The more reason for the confident resistance and even holding a whole government officials hostage......my fellow nairalanders o wrong gaan nau.

54 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Richard Gbadebo Death: Factory Mgt Holds Oyo Govt Officials Hostage by whytediamond(m): 7:30pm On Aug 02, 2020
What a reportage undecided

5 Likes

Re: Richard Gbadebo Death: Factory Mgt Holds Oyo Govt Officials Hostage by sammyj: 7:30pm On Aug 02, 2020
shocked shocked Holding government officials hostage is treasonable. Why not allow them conduct the investigation first and if need be they can seek the intervention of the court. I hope the family of the deceased will be well compensated. shocked shocked

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Richard Gbadebo Death: Factory Mgt Holds Oyo Govt Officials Hostage by SAMBARRY: 7:31pm On Aug 02, 2020
Rip

So that's how an avoidable job hazard just wasted this young boy's life.

The young boy who has potentials and died in his prime will just be ignored like tolu.

But if it's some irrelevant bull shii now Nigerians will turn it to rave of the moment sad

RIP young boy.i guess your ONLY crime was being a Nigerian

Honestly being a Nigerian Is a challenge on its own

Going to work on this deadly roads and coming back everyday is a miracle that requires you thank God because as you are avoiding touts you're avoiding pickpockets, senseless Okada drivers that can even leave their lane and run into you,drunk drivers,road rage, kidnappers,high way robbers, police brutality/extortions and other dangers on the road

Sleeping and waking up in an environment with no security but God is a miracle

Not being attacked by this maurading Islamic boys that call themselves herds men is a miracle.

When I see those guys that wrap those huge things round their head down to their neck with jumper trousers and long moustache I cringe with fear.they just have a problem with living in peace and harmony with others lipsrsealed

37 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Richard Gbadebo Death: Factory Mgt Holds Oyo Govt Officials Hostage by Slawormir: 7:31pm On Aug 02, 2020
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Rest in peace young niggarrr
Re: Richard Gbadebo Death: Factory Mgt Holds Oyo Govt Officials Hostage by mynaijadj(m): 7:31pm On Aug 02, 2020
Such a fine young man gone too soon. He was doing a honest work and got killed by it. Rest well soldier boy.

18 Likes

Re: Richard Gbadebo Death: Factory Mgt Holds Oyo Govt Officials Hostage by RAGEofFIRE: 7:31pm On Aug 02, 2020
undecided
In a sane country, this company will be sued successfully and the boy's family heavily compensated. Of course, mistakes happen but in most Nigerian factories, the safety guidelines are not strictly adhered to and avoidable tragedy occurs...

RIP young man. Nigeria failed you as it has millions of citizens.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Richard Gbadebo Death: Factory Mgt Holds Oyo Govt Officials Hostage by CASTOSVILLA(m): 7:31pm On Aug 02, 2020
Mods ban all the people booking unnecessary space here angry angry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Richard Gbadebo Death: Factory Mgt Holds Oyo Govt Officials Hostage by Brute2162: 7:31pm On Aug 02, 2020
I sell ps4 digital games. It's cheap and affordable

Check my profile
Re: Richard Gbadebo Death: Factory Mgt Holds Oyo Govt Officials Hostage by crossfm: 7:32pm On Aug 02, 2020
Just negodu.The people of Nigeria are not yet ready to be liberated.

Government came to investigate, but workers are frustrating their efforts.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Richard Gbadebo Death: Factory Mgt Holds Oyo Govt Officials Hostage by Gwagone: 7:32pm On Aug 02, 2020
We fight and struggle to survive in Nigeria but our lives aren't safe anymore

Too bad

2 Likes

Re: Richard Gbadebo Death: Factory Mgt Holds Oyo Govt Officials Hostage by mctfopt: 7:32pm On Aug 02, 2020
Nigeria!

I hope by the end of the day the factories will put in place more safety measures for their workers.

I hope the family of the deceased gets some compensation for this needless death. Not that it will bring back the deceased, but it sure can be useful.

I hope the police are not just there to further enrich themselves in the guise of investigation.

I can only hope.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Richard Gbadebo Death: Factory Mgt Holds Oyo Govt Officials Hostage by dyera(m): 7:32pm On Aug 02, 2020
Someone died in a factory does not mean the factory must be shut down, it is called occupation hazard.

3 Likes

Re: Richard Gbadebo Death: Factory Mgt Holds Oyo Govt Officials Hostage by SirJerrie(m): 7:32pm On Aug 02, 2020
b
Re: Richard Gbadebo Death: Factory Mgt Holds Oyo Govt Officials Hostage by aimsbaba(m): 7:32pm On Aug 02, 2020
May his soul rest in peace.
Re: Richard Gbadebo Death: Factory Mgt Holds Oyo Govt Officials Hostage by thesicilian: 7:33pm On Aug 02, 2020
No one will ''hold you hostage'' unless you yourself have done something to them. They should tell us the full story.

1 Like

Re: Richard Gbadebo Death: Factory Mgt Holds Oyo Govt Officials Hostage by recievesense: 7:33pm On Aug 02, 2020
wtf
Re: Richard Gbadebo Death: Factory Mgt Holds Oyo Govt Officials Hostage by merieam16(f): 7:33pm On Aug 02, 2020
Nawa o. They even get mind hold govt officials. Its really pathetic

Rip
Re: Richard Gbadebo Death: Factory Mgt Holds Oyo Govt Officials Hostage by Openbusiness4: 7:34pm On Aug 02, 2020
shocked
Re: Richard Gbadebo Death: Factory Mgt Holds Oyo Govt Officials Hostage by GODISABOVEDEVIL: 7:34pm On Aug 02, 2020
Hi
Re: Richard Gbadebo Death: Factory Mgt Holds Oyo Govt Officials Hostage by Fulks217: 7:34pm On Aug 02, 2020
Haa!!!
Re: Richard Gbadebo Death: Factory Mgt Holds Oyo Govt Officials Hostage by illicit(m): 7:35pm On Aug 02, 2020
RIP Young blood
Re: Richard Gbadebo Death: Factory Mgt Holds Oyo Govt Officials Hostage by paulolee(m): 7:35pm On Aug 02, 2020
holding them hostages would change nothing because they would jus promise to change things and after a while the .matter is forgotten...
that's a very bad and painful way for such a young lad to die all in the name of hustling...
worked in an indian factory in lagos bk then and a bad accident happened during work, a big machine fell on a man and killed him instantly
the death was too painful and we protested for a saver working environment and went on a week strike..
only for us to resume the next week to see that all workers involved in the strike action were sacked and the painful thing was that it was a fellow Nigerian brother that gave the company all the names involved..
were all sacked under the condition that we write and submit an apology letter for protesting..
that was how i left that factory because i cnt be poor and stupid at the same time..

8 Likes

Re: Richard Gbadebo Death: Factory Mgt Holds Oyo Govt Officials Hostage by Wiseandtrue(f): 7:36pm On Aug 02, 2020
paulolee:
good
What's good about it

A young boy fell into a soap making machine, was crushed and died, Government officials went to investigate and was held hostage

Is the factory already admitting guilt or what

I ask again, what's good about it

RIP to the dead!!!

Aside the investigation, the government officials should ensure that the company commiserate with the family but compensate them heavily

To train up a child to 300 level no be moi-moi!!!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Richard Gbadebo Death: Factory Mgt Holds Oyo Govt Officials Hostage by Iamgrey5(m): 7:36pm On Aug 02, 2020
ademidedavid:
It is only the authorities that can question the authority....I learnt the WAW company belongs to madam Ajimobi! The more reason for the confident resistance and even holding a whole government officials hostage......my fellow nairalanders o wrong gaan nau.
It belongs to late Ajimobi himself not his wife.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Woman Survives An Alfa's Attempt To Butcher Her / Video Of A Lady Almost Beating A 3-Month-Old Baby To Death Goes Viral / Assistant Commissioner Of Police Commits Suicide In Edo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.