Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,192 members, 7,818,629 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:12 PM

7 Ways How You Can Have A Great Conversation With Strangers - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / 7 Ways How You Can Have A Great Conversation With Strangers (512 Views)

My Girl Is Always On The Fone With Strangers. / Lady Proposes To Boyfriend In Front Of Friends, Family And Strangers In A Park / UBUNJA's MISEDUCATION: Sex With Strangers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Ways How You Can Have A Great Conversation With Strangers by LawyerGodwin(m): 9:18am On Aug 06, 2020
If you are an introvert, just the thought of speaking to a complete stranger can give you the heebie-jeebies. What? Talking to someone I don't know from Adam, "that is not happening right now!".
Many just keep mute and miss various opportunities that a simple conversation can bring. From friendship to Business to marital and much more.

How can you have a great conversation with a complete stranger? Can it be that easy to enjoy a conversation with someone you know nothing about?.

The answer is Yes!

And the first thing is you must be willing to set the ball rolling. Put yourself out there!

Follow below to see how you can begin a great conversation with anyone.

1. Compliment them

Everyone likes compliment. We all spend a deal of time behind the mirror to make sure we look good and attractive. And when someone from Adam sees how much effort we went through, we will feel comfortable to speak with that person.
Compliment can begin from the hairstyle, the designer tops, the wristwatch, the handbag, the shoes, and the list goes on. Warning, don't try to give sexual compliments unless you are at a club or something related (At your own risk).

This can be a great conversation started, and you can explore their response and see how you can sustain the conversation along the object of compliment. You will be amazed how interested the stranger will be to share how they got the object, how long it took to finish up and before you know it they will feel good around you.

2. At an Event

When you are invited to a gathering, party, etc. You already have what can spark an interesting conversation. You can begin speaking with the stranger commenting on the environment e.g how the food taste, or a particular section of the event. Then move on to questions like, "How did you come to know the host?". After they are done, you recount your own experience with the host. And as you keep the conversation going both you and the stranger wouldn't even know when you two begin to have a good laugh.

3. Ask Open-ended Questions

To have a great conversation, you need to avoid asking questions that results in you hearing Yes or No. They are conversation killers, KEEP OFF. Instead ask questions with How, What, When, Where, this type of question will cause the stranger to share more details. And such details can be the vehicle to a new conversation along the line.
Instead of asking "How was your day?", Ask "What was most challenging for you today"? Or "Tell me what made your day?".

4. Be a Good listener

Your ability to be a good listener gives you the keys to having a great conversation. You just don't listen, you have to be able to convince the person that you are actually paying full attention. Nobody wants to talk when the other person isn't listening. It gives off the feeling that you don't care about what they say, and no one wants to feel that way.
Ask follow up questions, like "so what happened next?, Where you scared? How did you get out of the situation? Etc. It sends a signal across to the person that you are paying attention, and this makes them feel good and want to keep the conversation going.
Listening also gives you the next topic for conversation.

5. Probe for Common Interest

We all have our unique area of interest. Every individual have some set of things they are more passionate about. From movies to politics to education to business to agriculture etc. Your aim here is to look for an interest you both share. This will spark a connection between you and the stranger. You both we have something to bring to the table at the same time speaking from different perspectives. This is the gold mine of a conversation. When you hit this gusher, you would not know how time passed in your conversation. And the stranger will feel real good about the discuss.

6. Be Empathetic

Watch the emotion the stranger is communicating. If it's a sad one, react in a sympathetic way, give your condolences. If it's a joke he trying to crack, you should laugh even when it is not funny to you. Act surprise from time to time. This will build a connection between you and the stranger. And try not to be judgmental at the beginning of the conversation.

7. Don't be Discouraged

There are different type of people. You would meet the good, the bad, the beast. If you reach out to a stranger and he is all cold towards you, don't think you have a problem. Especially when you are just building your conversation skills. You can't control how people react to you when you reach out. So it has nothing to do with you, it's about them and their personality.
Don't be discouraged after few resistance. Still keep building your conservation skills. Practice makes perfect.

Finally you can use two or more methods. You can also use all 7 with a stranger. And see the connection you two will build and where it will lead to. And the more you practice the more it becomes natural to initial a conversation with anyone and have a good talk with them.
Also be ready to reveal certain details, in opening yourself up, you encourage the other person to do so you.

What other method do you thing can make a good conversation... I would like to hear from you...

1 Like

Re: 7 Ways How You Can Have A Great Conversation With Strangers by ashewoboy(m): 10:06am On Aug 06, 2020
if she is a lady, if she nor follow me go house, wetin I gain?cheesy. fvck eniqurlcheesy.

1 Like

Re: 7 Ways How You Can Have A Great Conversation With Strangers by LawyerGodwin(m): 10:43am On Aug 06, 2020
ashewoboy:
if she is a lady, if she nor follow me go house, wetin I gain?cheesy. fvck eniqurlcheesy.

You can actually take the conversation to that level, and the lady can follow you to your home happily.

The focus here is general conversation.
Re: 7 Ways How You Can Have A Great Conversation With Strangers by ashewoboy(m): 10:54am On Aug 06, 2020
LawyerGodwin:

You can actually take the conversation to that level, and the lady can follow you to your home happily.

The focus here is general conversation.

true. I was just saying. don't take it seriously.

1 Like

Re: 7 Ways How You Can Have A Great Conversation With Strangers by LawyerGodwin(m): 6:31pm On Aug 06, 2020
ashewoboy:

true. I was just saying. don't take it seriously.

Thank you

(1) (Reply)

Big Brother Cameroun 237 / Nigeria Should Organise A Friendly War With China / Dear Future Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.