Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,845 members, 7,810,255 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:55 AM

Contradictions In Gospel Accounts Of Jesus' Tomb - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Contradictions In Gospel Accounts Of Jesus' Tomb (905 Views)

Errors And Biblical Contradictions In The Bible / Bishop Oyedepo Fumes Over Plans By Government To Close Accounts Of Churches / DEBATE: Pls Present All The Biblical Contradictions And Lies Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Contradictions In Gospel Accounts Of Jesus' Tomb by AntiChristian: 12:39pm On Aug 07, 2020
By Austin Cline

Jesus’ burial is important because, without it, there can be no tomb from which Jesus can arise in three days. It’s also historically implausible: crucifixion was intended as a shameful, horrible execution which included allowing the bodies to remain nailed up until they rotted off. It’s inconceivable that Pilate would have agreed to turn the body over to anyone for any reason. This may have something to do with why the gospel authors all have different stories about it.

How Long Was Jesus in the Tomb?
Jesus is portrayed as being dead and in the tomb for a given length time, but how long?
Mark 10:34—Jesus says he will “rise again” after “three days.”
Matthew 12:40—Jesus says he will be in the earth “three days and three nights...”

No resurrection narrative describes Jesus as being in a tomb for three full days, or for three days and three nights.

Guarding the Tomb
Would the Romans have guarded Jesus’ tomb? The gospels disagree on what happened.
Matthew 27:62-66—A guard is stationed outside the tomb the day after Jesus’ burial
Mark, Luke, John—No guard is mentioned. In Mark and Luke, the women who approach the tomb do not appear to expect to see any guards

Jesus Is Anointed Before Burial
It was tradition to anoint a person’s body after they died. Who anointed Jesus and when?
Mark 16:1-3, Luke 23:55-56—A group of women who were at Jesus’ burial come back later to anoint his body
Matthew—Joseph wraps the body, and the women come the next morning, but no mention is made of anointing Jesus
John 19:39-40—Joseph of Arimathea anoints Jesus’ body before burial

Who Visited Jesus’ Tomb?
The women visiting Jesus’ tomb is central to the resurrection story, but who visited?
Mark 16:1—Three women visit Jesus’ tomb: Mary Magdalene, a second Mary, and Salome
Matthew 28:1—Two women visit Jesus’ tomb: Mary Magdalene and another Mary
Luke 24:10—At least five women visit Jesus’ tomb: Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, Joanna, and “other women.”
John 20:1—One woman visits Jesus’ tomb: Mary Magdalene. She later fetches Peter and another disciple

When Did the Women Visit the Tomb?
Whoever visited and however many there were, it’s also not clear when they arrived.
Mark 16:2—They arrive after sunrise
Matthew 28:1—They arrive at about dawn
Luke 24:1—It is early dawn when they arrive
John 20:1— It is dark when they arrive

What Was the Tomb Like?
It’s not clear what the women saw when they arrived at the tomb.
Mark 16:4, Luke 24:2, John 20:1—The stone in front of Jesus’ tomb had been rolled away
Matthew 28:1-2—The stone in front of Jesus’ tomb was still in place and would be rolled away later

Who Greets the Women?
The women aren’t alone for long, but it’s not clear who greets them.
Mark 16:5—The women enter the tomb and meet one young man in there
Matthew 28:2—An angel arrives during an earthquake and rolls the stone away, and sits on it outside. Pilate’s guards are also there
Luke 24:2-4—The women enter the tomb, and two men suddenly appear — it’s not clear if they are inside or outside
John 20:12—The women do not enter the tomb, but there are two angels sitting inside

What Do the Women Do?
Whatever happened, it must have been pretty amazing. The gospels are inconsistent in how the women react, though.
Mark 16:8—The women keep quiet, despite being told to spread the word
Matthew 28:8—The women go tell the disciples
Luke 24:9—The women tell “the eleven and to all the rest.”
John 20:10-11— Mary stays to cry while the two disciples just go home

https://www.learnreligions.com/contradictions-in-gospel-accounts-of-jesus-tomb-250141

CodeTemplar, Sagenaija,

This should strictly be biblical.

1 Like

Re: Contradictions In Gospel Accounts Of Jesus' Tomb by krushdripper(m): 12:56pm On Aug 07, 2020
Quran stories, budhist, sikhist, taoist, hindu stories are just as inconsistent as the jesus story you told, key ones too.. so what's the point?
Re: Contradictions In Gospel Accounts Of Jesus' Tomb by AntiChristian: 2:05pm On Aug 07, 2020
krushdripper:
Quran stories, budhist, sikhist, taoist, hindu stories are just as inconsistent as the jesus story you told, key ones too.. so what's the point?

This thread is simply for the Christian story!
Re: Contradictions In Gospel Accounts Of Jesus' Tomb by krushdripper(m): 6:30am On Aug 08, 2020
AntiChristian:

This thread is simply for the Christian story!
Why pick on christianity in particular, What are your grieviances?

1 Like

Re: Contradictions In Gospel Accounts Of Jesus' Tomb by AntiChristian: 9:02am On Aug 08, 2020
krushdripper:
Why pick on christianity in particular, What are your grieviances?

You just need to know there's no smoke without fire!
Re: Contradictions In Gospel Accounts Of Jesus' Tomb by krushdripper(m): 9:16am On Aug 08, 2020
AntiChristian:

You just need to know there's no smoke without fire!
I already know that. I want to know this; what is the reason you dislike christianity so much?
Re: Contradictions In Gospel Accounts Of Jesus' Tomb by AntiChristian: 11:11am On Aug 08, 2020
krushdripper:
I already know that. I want to know this; what is the reason you dislike christianity so much?

I don't. If they don't disturb me....
Re: Contradictions In Gospel Accounts Of Jesus' Tomb by Dtruthspeaker: 11:36am On Aug 08, 2020
AntiChristian:
By Austin Cline

Jesus’ burial is important because, without it, there can be no tomb from which Jesus can arise in three days. It’s also historically implausible: crucifixion was intended as a shameful, horrible execution which included allowing the bodies to remain nailed up until they rotted off. It’s inconceivable that Pilate would have agreed to turn the body over to anyone for any reason. This may have something to do with why the gospel authors all have different stories about it.

How Long Was Jesus in the Tomb?
Jesus is portrayed as being dead and in the tomb for a given length time, but how long?
Mark 10:34—Jesus says he will “rise again” after “three days.”
Matthew 12:40—Jesus says he will be in the earth “three days and three nights...”

No resurrection narrative describes Jesus as being in a tomb for three full days, or for three days and three nights.

Guarding the Tomb
Would the Romans have guarded Jesus’ tomb? The gospels disagree on what happened.
Matthew 27:62-66—A guard is stationed outside the tomb the day after Jesus’ burial
Mark, Luke, John—No guard is mentioned. In Mark and Luke, the women who approach the tomb do not appear to expect to see any guards

Jesus Is Anointed Before Burial
It was tradition to anoint a person’s body after they died. Who anointed Jesus and when?
Mark 16:1-3, Luke 23:55-56—A group of women who were at Jesus’ burial come back later to anoint his body
Matthew—Joseph wraps the body, and the women come the next morning, but no mention is made of anointing Jesus
John 19:39-40—Joseph of Arimathea anoints Jesus’ body before burial

Who Visited Jesus’ Tomb?
The women visiting Jesus’ tomb is central to the resurrection story, but who visited?
Mark 16:1—Three women visit Jesus’ tomb: Mary Magdalene, a second Mary, and Salome
Matthew 28:1—Two women visit Jesus’ tomb: Mary Magdalene and another Mary
Luke 24:10—At least five women visit Jesus’ tomb: Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, Joanna, and “other women.”
John 20:1—One woman visits Jesus’ tomb: Mary Magdalene. She later fetches Peter and another disciple

Whoever visited and however many there were, it’s also not clear when they arrived.

What Was the Tomb Like?
It’s not clear what the women saw when they arrived at the tomb.
Mark 16:4, Luke 24:2, John 20:1—The stone in front of Jesus’ tomb had been rolled away
Matthew 28:1-2—The stone in front of Jesus’ tomb was still in place and would be rolled away later

Who Greets the Women?
The women aren’t alone for long, but it’s not clear who greets them.
Mark 16:5—The women enter the tomb and meet one young man in there
Matthew 28:2—An angel arrives during an earthquake and rolls the stone away, and sits on it outside. Pilate’s guards are also there
Luke 24:2-4—The women enter the tomb, and two men suddenly appear — it’s not clear if they are inside or outside
John 20:12—The women do not enter the tomb, but there are two angels sitting inside

What Do the Women Do?
Whatever happened, it must have been pretty amazing. The gospels are inconsistent in how the women react, though.
Mark 16:8—The women keep quiet, despite being told to spread the word
Matthew 28:8—The women go tell the disciples
Luke 24:9—The women tell “the eleven and to all the rest.”
John 20:10-11— Mary stays to cry while the two disciples just go home

https://www.learnreligions.com/contradictions-in-gospel-accounts-of-jesus-tomb-250141

CodeTemplar, Sagenaija,

This should strictly be biblical.

Another one? What is inconsistent here? Have you not learnt the teachings of a cup is half full or half empty or half, whichever way it can be viewed?
Re: Contradictions In Gospel Accounts Of Jesus' Tomb by AntiChristian: 1:29pm On Aug 08, 2020
Dtruthspeaker:

Another one? What is inconsistent here? Have you not learnt the teachings of a cup is half full or half empty or half, whichever way it can be viewed?

That analogy aint applicable here!

Re: Contradictions In Gospel Accounts Of Jesus' Tomb by krushdripper(m): 1:51pm On Aug 08, 2020
AntiChristian:

I don't. If they don't disturb me....
But you're already antichristian which means christians must have been disturbing you. How? If i may ask? you seem like the one disturbing.
Re: Contradictions In Gospel Accounts Of Jesus' Tomb by AntiChristian: 1:58pm On Aug 08, 2020
krushdripper:
But you're already antichristian which means christians must have been disturbing you. How? If i may ask? you seem like the one disturbing.

Thou shall not Judge for as thou judge...

Go to our threads and see for yourself.

Bye!
Re: Contradictions In Gospel Accounts Of Jesus' Tomb by Dtruthspeaker: 2:02pm On Aug 08, 2020
AntiChristian:

That analogy aint applicable here!

Is sunrise not dawn?

Is early dawn not dawn?

When it is dawn is it not also dark?

You just want to find fault where none exist!!

1 Like

Re: Contradictions In Gospel Accounts Of Jesus' Tomb by AntiChristian: 2:08pm On Aug 08, 2020
Dtruthspeaker:

Is sunrise not dawn?

Is early dawn not dawn?

When it is dawn is it not also dark?

You just want to find fault where none exist!!

There is a clear difference between dawn and sunrise!

The holy spirit could have been more scientific!
Re: Contradictions In Gospel Accounts Of Jesus' Tomb by Dtruthspeaker: 4:02pm On Aug 08, 2020
AntiChristian:

There is a difference between dawn and sunrise?

I evacuate! You appear reasonable but you are surely twisted!
Re: Contradictions In Gospel Accounts Of Jesus' Tomb by krushdripper(m): 5:23pm On Aug 08, 2020
AntiChristian:

Thou shall not Judge for as thou judge...

Go to our threads and see for yourself.

Bye!
Oh, I already saw your threads on christianity before we started this conversation. You create threads to attack christianity then you claim they're the ones disturbing you? Cmon.. Don't be rietarded! You must be a Nigerian muslim.

1 Like

Re: Contradictions In Gospel Accounts Of Jesus' Tomb by ContractKiller: 1:27pm On Aug 11, 2020
[img]https://images./4Qplt6O5UyKD4OvM66hvc4.jpg[/img] [img]https://images./4WA2QsgzM3DwxuYWtKUakX.jpg[/img]

AntiChristian:

Re: Contradictions In Gospel Accounts Of Jesus' Tomb by AntiChristian: 8:21am On Aug 12, 2020
krushdripper:
Oh, I already saw your threads on christianity before we started this conversation. You create threads to attack christianity then you claim they're the ones disturbing you? Cmon.. Don't be rietarded! You must be a Nigerian muslim.

Have you ever checked my posts and the responses of Christians whom I discuss with?

May you be judged as you have judged. If ever you use any abuse language on my mentions again I will just report you and neglect your mention.
Re: Contradictions In Gospel Accounts Of Jesus' Tomb by advocatejare(m): 8:24am On Aug 12, 2020
Antichristian still on the matter.

Does Allah speak directly with people?
No:
It is not fitting for a man that Allah should speak to him except by inspiration, or from behind a veil,
Quran 42:51

Yes, to Moses:
"Of some messengers We have already told thee the story; of others We have not;- and to Moses Allah spoke direct"
Quran 4:164

How long is Allah's day?
One thousand years:
"Yet they ask thee to hasten on the Punishment! But Allah will not fail in His Promise. Verily a Day in the sight of thy Lord is like a thousand years of your reckoning."
Quran 22:47

Fifty thousand years:
"The angels and the spirit ascend unto him in a Day the measure whereof is (as) fifty thousand years:"
Quran 70:4
Re: Contradictions In Gospel Accounts Of Jesus' Tomb by Ehiscotch(m): 12:55pm On Aug 12, 2020
I think your name is should be Mr Contradictions instead.

You have to realise that the Holy Spirit inspired them to write the books; it wasn't dictated word for word. Some of the gospels were not even written by the original witnesses, directly.

So it is possible to see different perspective but the same essence or background.

You are just wrestling with what is beyond you. Calm down!

1 Like

Re: Contradictions In Gospel Accounts Of Jesus' Tomb by krushdripper(m): 4:13pm On Aug 12, 2020
AntiChristian:

Have you ever checked my posts and the responses of Christians whom I discuss with?

May you be judged as you have judged. If ever you use any abuse language on my mentions again I will just report you and neglect your mention.
Moniker ''AntiChristian'' crying foul for he's being disturbed by christians on his Christianity attacking threads.. How misplaced is that? Find your head wherever it is man, find it.
Re: Contradictions In Gospel Accounts Of Jesus' Tomb by AntiChristian: 11:39am On Aug 13, 2020
krushdripper:
Moniker ''AntiChristian'' crying foul for he's being disturbed by christians on his Christianity attacking threads.. How misplaced is that? Find your head wherever it is man, find it.

grin

See this one.
Re: Contradictions In Gospel Accounts Of Jesus' Tomb by krushdripper(m): 1:39pm On Aug 13, 2020
AntiChristian:

grin
See this one.
?
Re: Contradictions In Gospel Accounts Of Jesus' Tomb by ANTIlSLAM(m): 5:28pm On Aug 13, 2020
Quran 10:94

But if you are in doubt as to what We have revealed to you, ask those who read the Book before you; certainly the truth has come to you from your Lord, therefore you should not be of the disputers.

1 Like

Re: Contradictions In Gospel Accounts Of Jesus' Tomb by AntiChristian: 9:53am On Aug 14, 2020
ANTIlSLAM:

But if you are in doubt as to what We have revealed to you, ask those who read the Book before you; certainly the truth has come to you from your Lord, therefore you should not be of the disputers.

What's the context of this verse?
Re: Contradictions In Gospel Accounts Of Jesus' Tomb by krushdripper(m): 8:53am On Aug 15, 2020
AntiChristian:

Mugu
Re: Contradictions In Gospel Accounts Of Jesus' Tomb by sonmvayina(m): 9:19am On Aug 15, 2020
John's Jesus did not even die... Joseph and Nicodemus brought myrrh and aloes, about a hundred pound weight.. Those herbs are used for healing.. Not for embalming..

Something to think about..
Re: Contradictions In Gospel Accounts Of Jesus' Tomb by ANTIlSLAM(m): 9:42am On Aug 15, 2020
AntiChristian:

Is to tell you that you're CLUELESS says your god allah
Re: Contradictions In Gospel Accounts Of Jesus' Tomb by AntiChristian: 9:43am On Aug 15, 2020
krushdripper:
Mugu

See ignoramus! Shebi u sabi quote verse. Explain the context, holy spirit abi na Satan incited you to type "Mugu"

Mugu ko Mugun ni!
Re: Contradictions In Gospel Accounts Of Jesus' Tomb by AntiChristian: 9:44am On Aug 15, 2020
ANTIlSLAM:

Is to tell you that you're CLUELESS says your god allah

Mugun!
Re: Contradictions In Gospel Accounts Of Jesus' Tomb by krushdripper(m): 9:51am On Aug 15, 2020
AntiChristian:

See ignoramus! Shebi u sabi quote verse. Explain the context, holy spirit abi na Satan incited you to type "Mugu"

Mugu ko Mugun ni!
Religion has severely fvcked up your sentience & emotions. It would do you well to get yourself away from that destruction in the name of peace.
Re: Contradictions In Gospel Accounts Of Jesus' Tomb by ANTIlSLAM(m): 9:56am On Aug 15, 2020
AntiChristian:

Mugun!

Wait Ode, are you now insulting your god allah for telling you to ask Christians questions when you're CLUELESS and HOPELESS grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Church Dropouts, Why Did You Stopped Going To Church? / Jesus Saved Me , He Can Save You Too / I Have Removed Myself From Heavenly Race -bobrisky Informs Preachers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.