Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,472 members, 7,812,453 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:37 PM

Question: Did Sudan Actually Get Indepedence Before Ghana? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Question: Did Sudan Actually Get Indepedence Before Ghana? (7711 Views)

What Sort Of Dumb Question Did Ashafa Ask / QUESTION: Did Jonathan Remove Copies Of Buhari's Certificates? / Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Question: Did Sudan Actually Get Indepedence Before Ghana? by PhysicsMHD(m): 3:00pm On Feb 13, 2011
I sometimes read and hear the claim that Ghana was the first colonized African country to gain independence.

Is this actually true?

When did Sudan get independence?

Just a simple question.
Re: Question: Did Sudan Actually Get Indepedence Before Ghana? by Chyz2: 3:17pm On Feb 13, 2011
Yes. It Sudan got its independence in 1956 from both the british and egypt. Ghana got theirs 1957.
Re: Question: Did Sudan Actually Get Indepedence Before Ghana? by PhysicsMHD(m): 3:21pm On Feb 13, 2011
Chyz*:

Yes. It Sudan got its independence in 1956 from both the britiash and egypt. Ghana got theirs 1957.

That's what I thought. But I'm always hearing this Ghana claim, especially (but not only) from Ghanaians. I wonder if I shouldn't post this same topic on ghanaweb.com, but with a more provocative title. grin
Re: Question: Did Sudan Actually Get Indepedence Before Ghana? by Chyz2: 3:24pm On Feb 13, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

That's what I thought. But I'm always hearing this Ghana claim, especially (but not only) from Ghanaians. I wonder if I shouldn't post this same topic on ghanaweb.com, but with a more provocative title. grin

They've been in so much much internal war that I guess it went unnoticed to the world some how. Hey, whatever you post there, please give us the link to read and enjoy professa PhysicsMHD. grin
Re: Question: Did Sudan Actually Get Indepedence Before Ghana? by PhysicsMHD(m): 6:55pm On Feb 13, 2011
Hmm, apparently the UN classified Sudan as part of North Africa for reasons best known to them and not sub-Saharan Africa.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sub-Saharan_Africa

I think the Ghana claim is basically based on a bizarre classification technicality.  My point was that Ghana was second in black Africa, and if not for the strange Sudan classification (because we all know the Sudanese are not North Africans, regardless of whatever rubbish the UN comes up with) by some uninformed body like the UN, that Ghana claim would have died out quickly.

This UN classification is especially silly because Mali, which is classified as West African and also in "sub-Saharan" Africa by everybody, is not lower geographically than Sudan, but is never classified as North African.  undecided undecided

I won't bother about slamming them at ghanaweb.com now though, because they'll just resort to nonsensical technicalities if I do.

1 Like

Re: Question: Did Sudan Actually Get Indepedence Before Ghana? by Ikengawo: 7:06pm On Feb 13, 2011
well south africa was independant long before anyone of those two
Re: Question: Did Sudan Actually Get Indepedence Before Ghana? by PhysicsMHD(m): 7:12pm On Feb 13, 2011
Ikengawo:

well south africa was independant long before anyone of those two

Don't be deliberately obtuse.  undecided It's clear I meant black controlled Africa. I didn't include Ethiopia too even though it was briefly held by Italy, for the simple reason that I was referring to specific kinds of black African countries, of which Ghana was actually second, not first.

1 Like

Re: Question: Did Sudan Actually Get Indepedence Before Ghana? by EzeUche2(m): 7:18pm On Feb 13, 2011
Maybe they were referring Sudan as an North African nation. Remember that this country supposedly has many "Arabs."
Re: Question: Did Sudan Actually Get Indepedence Before Ghana? by Ikengawo: 7:21pm On Feb 13, 2011
so why is ethiopia not a part of black africa?
Re: Question: Did Sudan Actually Get Indepedence Before Ghana? by PhysicsMHD(m): 7:24pm On Feb 13, 2011
Ikengawo:

so why is ethiopia not a part of black africa?

It is. They had independence before Ghana and Sudan of course, but they were not really colonized. They were just occupied. If Ethiopia were a candidate for consideration, the Ghana claim would definitely not have arisen, not even from the Ghanaians themselves.

1 Like

Re: Question: Did Sudan Actually Get Indepedence Before Ghana? by PhysicsMHD(m): 7:28pm On Feb 13, 2011
EzeUche_:

Maybe they were referring Sudan as an North African nation. Remember that this country supposedly has many "Arabs."

Yeah, that's precisely the problem. Sudan is still a black country, with only a very small amount of non-black Arabs. Even the Arabs there are overwhelmingly black Arabs.

Considering Sudan a North African country when Mali is just as high up north geographically and just as Muslim, is just disingenuous or a blatant falsehood. I've never seen Sudan referred to as North African anywhere else, but maybe I haven't read enough. I stand to be corrected, but until then, I have to conclude that the Ghana claim is just based on error.

1 Like

Re: Question: Did Sudan Actually Get Indepedence Before Ghana? by Obiagu1(m): 7:40pm On Feb 13, 2011
Liberia was no colonized too.
Re: Question: Did Sudan Actually Get Indepedence Before Ghana? by PhysicsMHD(m): 7:48pm On Feb 14, 2011

A man painted with Ghanaian colours dances during celebrations of the 50th anniversary of Ghana's independence in Accra. (Xinhua/Reuters Photo)

1 Like

Re: Question: Did Sudan Actually Get Indepedence Before Ghana? by kabna(m): 8:22am On Feb 16, 2011
Before I comment on this, I will reveal my identity: AM A PROUD GHANAIAN. ( NOW LET YOUR PREJUDICE BECLOUD YOUR THINKING)

Technically and strictly speaking the term sub means under or beneath. So sub saharan in its strictest sense denotes countries lying beneath the saharan desert. since sudan and mali lies within the sahara, they should not be subsaharan countries. my simple reasoning for this is from information it seems much of sudanese population are within the sahara whiles much of malians are immediately without so in terms of the demographics it seems fairly reasonable to put mali in sub sharan africa while sudan is out hence ghana's status as the first black african country south of the shara to gain independence. the accurate refernce to ghana's status is as i have stated first black country south of the shara.
Re: Question: Did Sudan Actually Get Indepedence Before Ghana? by cheikh: 8:53pm On Feb 16, 2011
PhysicsMHD
I think the Ghana claim is basically based on a bizarre classification technicality. My point was that Ghana was second in black Africa, and if not for the strange Sudan classification (because we all know the Sudanese are not North Africans, regardless of whatever rubbish the UN comes up with) by some uninformed body like the UN, that Ghana claim would have died out quickly.
This UN classification is especially silly because Mali, which is classified as West African and also in "sub-Saharan" Africa by everybody, is not lower geographically than Sudan, but is never classified as North African.

@PhysicsMHD

Thank you for bringing such a topic up. It's truly educational. I've also wondered about it. My thoughts/answer can only be that the Europeans as well as Ghana were inadvertently complicit to a bad propaganda that went badly wrong. You correctly pointed out that the so called UN and I'll add the British, especially, were ever too keen to 'define' and 'interpret' our history and geography as well. They obviously lumped Sudan with the Arab north of Africa because of linguistic affiliation and perhaps for political expediency, to undermine the Mahdi liberation impact on Sudan. The colonialist is adept at psychological warfare and disinformation. We cannot underestimate their thinking and motivation. The only worry should be why did Ghana fall for such falsehood and barefaced self perpetuating lies/propaganda? It clearly demonstrates the power of disinformation as a tool for social control and miseducation. Thanks.
Re: Question: Did Sudan Actually Get Indepedence Before Ghana? by cheikh: 10:02pm On Feb 16, 2011
kabna
Technically and strictly speaking the term sub means under or beneath. So sub saharan in its strictest sense denotes countries lying beneath the saharan desert. since sudan and mali lies within the sahara, they should not be subsaharan countries. my simple reasoning for this is from information it seems much of sudanese population are within the sahara whiles much of malians are immediately without so in terms of the demographics it seems fairly reasonable to put mali in sub sharan africa while sudan is out hence ghana's status as the first black african country south of the shara to gain independence. the accurate refernce to ghana's status is as i have stated first black country south of the shara.

@kabna

Your reply may appear plausible but that's an exercise in sophistry. It has nothing to do with the 'demographics' you're trying to peddle.  Who 'Technically' defined and coined the phrase 'Sub' -  when and for what purpose? The only reason Sudan was seen as non African was because of pseudo-political and linguistic affinity with the Arabs of the Middle East who were very keen to 'Arabise' Sudan by co-opting Sudan into the Arab league hence the wars in the Sudan with the attendant gross and spurious interpretation 'sub' this and 'sub' 'that' which sadly has gained currency even amongst Africans. It's amazing how persistent lies become legitimised and then become 'technically'^ truth wink. Pls I am not trying to negate your history or the stories that Ghanains have consistently told themselves. I am happy for you if it makes you happy and us as fellow Africans share in your progressive matchgrin.
Re: Question: Did Sudan Actually Get Indepedence Before Ghana? by PhysicsRND(m): 10:30pm On Feb 16, 2011
cheikh:

kabna

@kabna

Your reply may appear plausible but that's an exercise in sophistry. It has nothing to do with the 'demographics' you're trying to peddle.  Who 'Technically' defined and coined the phrase 'Sub' -  when and for what purpose? The only reason Sudan was seen as non African was because of pseudo-political and linguistic affinity with the Arabs of the Middle East who were very keen to 'Arabise' Sudan by co-opting Sudan into the Arab league hence the wars in the Sudan with the attendant gross and spurious interpretation 'sub' this and 'sub' 'that' which sadly has gained currency even amongst Africans. It's amazing how persistent lies become legitimised and then become 'technically'^ truth wink. Pls I am not trying to negate your history or the stories that Ghanains have consistently told themselves. I am happy for you if it makes you happy and us as fellow Africans share in your progressive matchgrin.

Lol, don't worry about that false claim.

I've already responded to that guy's post twice and put his idea in the dustbins of history with facts, but this anti-spam bot kept getting me, so I'll wait to see if the post reappears. If not I'll post a modified version of my earlier rebuttal in separate parts.
Re: Question: Did Sudan Actually Get Indepedence Before Ghana? by PhysicsRND(m): 12:40am On Feb 17, 2011
kabna:

Before I comment on this, I will reveal my identity: AM A PROUD GHANAIAN. ( NOW LET YOUR PREJUDICE BECLOUD YOUR THINKING)

PhysicsQED,PhysicsMHD,PhysicsHD, etc.:

lol, Prejudice? Not at all. Lighten up.

I have a lot of admiration for Ghanians. The Ashanti empire, Akan symbols, art, architecture, J.E. Casely Hayford, James Aggrey, Jerry Rawlings, etc. But you guys are so cheeky sometimes with your claims. One Ghanaian poster on this board made some claim a while back about some obscure Ghanaian physicist being the only African with any scientific term or idea named after him. I nearly fell out of my chair in shock that he had the gall to make such a statement, but then I remembered that the poster was a Ghanaian poster.

But please come with facts next time and not cheeky Ghanian assertions. It's indeed true that most of the Malian population is in the south and near the capital.

However, Just because the capital of Sudan (Khartoum), which has about 5-7 million or so people is in the Northeast, that does not mean that the population of Sudanese is in the actual Sahara desert and not beneath it. It is actually the case that the overwhelming majority of Sudanese are beneath the Sahara, as in Mali.
Re: Question: Did Sudan Actually Get Indepedence Before Ghana? by PhysicsRND(m): 12:41am On Feb 17, 2011
The evidence:

Fig. 1:

1 Like

Re: Question: Did Sudan Actually Get Indepedence Before Ghana? by PhysicsRND(m): 12:42am On Feb 17, 2011
Fig. 2:

Re: Question: Did Sudan Actually Get Indepedence Before Ghana? by Nobody: 5:46am On Feb 17, 2011
southern sudan will be in either central or eastcentral africa while northern sudan will be north africa, and arab.

sudan used to be part of egypt so technically cant be wholly considered black.

1 Like

Re: Question: Did Sudan Actually Get Indepedence Before Ghana? by Nobody: 8:52am On Feb 17, 2011
tpiah said:

southern sudan will be in either central or eastcentral africa while northern sudan will be north africa, and arab.

sudan used to be part of egypt so technically cant be wholly considered black.

But Egypt used to be wholly black, just like Sudan used to be. You need to put down your colonial handbook on African ''history''.

A major reason why Sudan came to be categorized as part of North Africa was white 'embarrassment' at the glorious black Nubian civilization of antiquity, of fine temples, chariots, and pyramids.

The racists who dictate UN policy could not bring themselves to publicly associate such majesty with black Africa, so, just as they did with Egypt, they lifted Sudan and placed her somewhere in the middle east or ''North Africa'' against all common sense.

1 Like

Re: Question: Did Sudan Actually Get Indepedence Before Ghana? by cheikh: 10:14pm On Feb 17, 2011
ROSSIKE
But Egypt used to be wholly black, just like Sudan used to be. You need to put down your colonial handbook on African ''history''.

A major reason why Sudan came to be categorized as part of North Africa was white 'embarrassment' at the glorious black Nubian civilization of antiquity, of fine temples, chariots, and pyramids.

The racists who dictate UN policy could not bring themselves to publicly associate such majesty with black Africa, so, just as they did with Egypt, they lifted Sudan and placed her somewhere in the middle east or ''North Africa'' against all common sense.

@ROSSIKE

^^GBAM!!! Thank you wink Unfortunately some of our people have joined the bandwagon perpetuating Euro-cenric version of African history. It's relentless.

1 Like

Re: Question: Did Sudan Actually Get Indepedence Before Ghana? by kabna(m): 1:00am On Feb 18, 2011
LISTEN THAT'S THE PROBLEM WITH SOME OF YOU NIGERIANS SO HARD TO GET THROUGH, THINKING YOU KNOW ALL YET FAR FROM THE FACTS. CHECK OUT THE POPULATION OF SOUTHERN SUDAN AND YOU WILL SEE CLEARLY THAT THE NORTH HAS LONG BEEN DENSLY POPULATED THAN THE SOUTH. NO ONE COMMUNITY IS STATIC FROM TIME TO TIME DEMOGRAPHICS AND POPULATION DENSITIES CHANGE. SO AT THE TIME OF THIS PARTITION OR CLASSIFICATIONS, MOST OF SUDANESE ESPECIALLY ARAB SUDANESE WHO WERE LIVING THEN IN SUDAN WERE IN THE MAJORITY SO IT SEEMED ALRIGHT TO PLACE THEM AS A NON BLACK AND AGAIN WITH THEIR POPULATION ABOVE (SUPER LOOSELY USED WHICH I WILL EXPLAIN) THEY WERE RIGHTLY CLASSIFIED SO. NOW SUB FOR THE IGNORANT ONE WHO USES ENGLISH YET REFUSES TO ACKNOWLEDGE THIS ENGLISH WORD MEANING BENEATH OR UNDER, IN SCIENCE OR MATHS SUBSCRIPT WHERE IS IS PLACED? AND SUPERSCRIPT WHERE IS IT PLACED?
THOSE WORDS ARE WHAT THEY ARE ITS ENGLISH SO SUB SAHARA MEANS BENEATH THE SAHARA DESERT WHAT IS YOUR BEEF?
AND ABOUT THE GUY WHO LAUGHED AT THE STATEMENT TO DO WITH THE GHANAIAN SCIENTIST WITH HIS OWN THEORY IN PHYSIC GO FIND OUT I MADE THAT CLAIM HE IS KNOWN AS ALLOTEY CHECK OUT THE ALLOTEY THEORY HERE
http://www.google.com/baraza/en/thread?tid=01c4956f230b2f0f

I HAVE COME TO ACCEPT WITH MOST NIGERIANS THAT THEIR ARROGANCE IS THEIR BIGGEST ASSET. IT IS INSANE TO BE WISE WHEN EVERYONE IS A FOOL SO NO NEED TO EDUCATE YOU ON FACTS YOU ARE BUT FOOLS
Re: Question: Did Sudan Actually Get Indepedence Before Ghana? by kabna(m): 1:17am On Feb 18, 2011
PhysicsRND:

Lol, don't worry about that false claim.

I've already responded to that guy's post twice and put his idea in the dustbins of history with facts, but this anti-spam bot kept getting me, so I'll wait to see if the post reappears. If not I'll post a modified version of my earlier rebuttal in separate parts.

AH THIS NAIJA MAN YOU CALL YOURSELF PHYSICS YET YOU DO NOT KNOW THE MOVERS AND SHAKERS IN PHYSICS PROF ALLOTEY A PROPER GHANAIAN, READ ON HIM.

NASA HAS ANOTHER TOP SAFETY ENGINEER READ ON HIM ALSO A TRUE PROUD GHANAIAN.

NOW THIS WILL BLOW YOUR MIND HAVE YOU ALSO READ OR COME ACROSS THE STORY THE AFRICANS WHO WROTE THE BIBLE? CHECK OUT WHO FEATURES BOLDLY AKAN FROM GHANA. ABOUT THIS SUDAN ISSUE YOU HAVE ALREADY ASSERTED MY POINT THAT THE POPULATION DENSITY UNDERLINES THE CLASSIFICATION SO WHATS YOUR BEEF WHY IS IT JUST YOU WHO THINKS ALL ARE FOOLED HAVE YOU SUDDENLY BEEN THE CHOSEN ONE>? ACCEPTING TRUTH DOES NOT MEAN YOU ARE STILL A VICTIM OF RACISM YOU MUST BE ABLE TO SEPARATE THE TWO FOR THEY ARE MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE
Re: Question: Did Sudan Actually Get Indepedence Before Ghana? by PhysicsRND(m): 1:18am On Feb 18, 2011
ROFL at this obnoxious Ghanian. Now he's getting flustered and trying to grasp at shadows.

Do you not know what the Sahel is?

'The Sahel is the transitional zone between the Sahara and the tropical savanna (the Sudan region) and forest-savanna mosaic to the south. The Horn of Africa and large areas of Sudan  are geographically part of Sub-Saharan Africa, but also part of the Arab world.[3][4][5][6][7][8][9][10]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subsaharan_Africa

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/03/East_and_southern_africa_early_iron_age.png/518px-East_and_southern_africa_early_iron_age.png

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2a/Africa_Koppen_Map.png

http://www.eduspace.esa.int/Worksheet/images/Africa_Sahel.jpg

If you had an ounce of honesty in you you would admit that the population density map I posted shows that this "north" of the Sudan where the majority of the population lives is actually the Sahel and that even Khartoum is on the border of the Sahel and the desert.  When you add those people in Sudan living in the Sahel and those living south of the Sahel it vastly outnumbers those living in the actual desert.

I know who F.K. Allotey is you dummy. His research is not particularly significant (I would know) and he was obscure before internet Ghanians started touting him as the next best thing since sliced bread. Anyone can publish something insignificant but different and get it named after themselves, but my grouse was with the claim that he was the only African with any scientific idea named after him which is simply not true.

That's why I laugh at the cheekiness of Ghanaians with their funny claims. Rwandans have Augustin Banyaga and Beninese have Wilfrid Gangbo, yet you don't see them chest beating and ranting about these actually highly accomplished researchers and their important, significant theoretical contributions to their fields the way Ghanaians are propping up Allotey.

Funny Ghanaian people.  grin grin grin
Re: Question: Did Sudan Actually Get Indepedence Before Ghana? by kabna(m): 1:37am On Feb 18, 2011
PERHARPS YOU DO NOT KNOW THE SIGNIFICANCE OF ALLOTAY FORMALISM YOU STUPID gay. NASA USES HIS THEORY CONSISTENTLY TO WORK OUT SPACE MATTER HOW IS THAT AN INSIGNIFICANT CONTRIBUTION?

AND ABOUT SUDAN ALL THAT UN ACEDEMCI WIKI SHOWS YOUR SOURCE OD DELUDED INFO.

PERHARPS YOU ARE UN ACADEMIC THAT'S WHYYOU POST UNACEDE MIC REFS

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lagos Prophet Makes Shocking Revelation / Don’t Lose Hope, We’ll Bounce Back – APC Consoles Supporters In Akwa Ibom / Buhari Disables The Reply Button After Millions Report His Genocide Tweets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.