Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,725 members, 7,816,979 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:04 PM

ACN-Ribadu/Ngige, How Feasible? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ACN-Ribadu/Ngige, How Feasible? (7197 Views)

Uche Ekwunife Visits Chris Ngige Over The Death Of His Dad (Pic) / Fashola, Amaechi, Ngige, Onu, Lai, Kachikwu Make Ministerial List - TheCable / Ngige,ex Gov. Of Anambra Spotted As Security Of Okorocha Imo State Gov (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ACN-Ribadu/Ngige, How Feasible? by PhysicsRND(m): 11:36pm On Feb 16, 2011
fstranger3:

Cos it rhymes.    .   . you seem like one of those crazy people doing it.

Who else spends ridiculous amount of time studying Biafra and Nigerian history!

lmao, I don't spend a crazy amount of time on history, trust me. The thing is that I mostly don't watch TV except occasionally sports and news. So I spend a lot of my time thinking and  reading. Some of that reading is history. I got sucked into African history because of Benin, not out of a passionate interest in early Nigeria or its civil war. Then I kind of wanted to know what went wrong with Nigeria so I read up on the past heads of state online, and that lead me to some general  and specific history books which are at my university's library, and that led me to reading up on the war, which was sufficiently complex for me to want to find out what happened in detail.
Re: ACN-Ribadu/Ngige, How Feasible? by ekubear1: 11:37pm On Feb 16, 2011
PhysicsRND:

I think the Kano state figures are made up, though. But at the same time I just don't believe population density can be used for any convincing arguments for the whole country.

Well is sort of can. There is no reason to believe that the rural North has 5 or 10X the population density of the rural South. We'd then need to understand why the rural parts of the North are amongst the most densely populated "rural" regions of the world. . . such as Northern Kano State being as densely populated as Rhode Island, and not too far off from New Jersey. . .
Re: ACN-Ribadu/Ngige, How Feasible? by PhysicsRND(m): 12:21am On Feb 17, 2011
eku_bear:

Well is sort of can. There is no reason to believe that the rural North has 5 or 10X the population density of the rural South. We'd then need to understand why the rural parts of the North are amongst the most densely populated "rural" regions of the world. . . such as Northern Kano State being as densely populated as Rhode Island, and not too far off from New Jersey. . .

The rural parts of the North are not among the most densely populated regions in the world, to the best of my knowledge. It's just that there's so much land in the north that if there really were 500,000 people in multiple rural LGs in a northern state outside of the big city or cities, as claimed here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kano_State, among other places, it would be difficult to find out because the LG of that Northern state could be the size of half or a third of Lagos state for some Northern states. For Kano, though, those figures are almost certainly false.

Also, I suspect that a greater percentage of Northerners than Southerners are likely to be living a rural lifestyle, in a rural area, or in a village and not a city, so that lends a small amount of credibility to their assertion. Nevertheless I don't believe the Northern population figures are true.

I do believe that the North has a large population, just not as large as they claim and that the numbers are inflated for political purposes.
Re: ACN-Ribadu/Ngige, How Feasible? by ekubear1: 1:22am On Feb 17, 2011
Depends on what you think "large" is.

If one accepts the Kano Metro #s, revises the Kano North and Kano South densities to 100/square km (probably a factor of two or three too high), you get:
octave:3> (8332+11554)*100+2826307
ans =  4814907

A pop of 4.81 million, as compared to the listed figure for 2006 of 9.4 million.

And 100/square km is being very generous. . . yet the pop shrinks by nearly 50%.

It would be interesting to do this for states Katsina, Sokoto, Kaduna, etc. . . I wonder how much they are inflating by.

Anyway, that is why I'm not convinced that the population of the north is "large."
Re: ACN-Ribadu/Ngige, How Feasible? by ekubear1: 2:03am On Feb 17, 2011
Hrm. Will dig into this data a bit more later tonight.

Does anyone have previous census data broken down by zone or region? Or what is a good place to find this sort of data?
Re: ACN-Ribadu/Ngige, How Feasible? by asha80(m): 2:11am On Feb 17, 2011
eku_bear:

Does anyone have previous census data broken down by zone or region? Or what is a good place to find this sort of data?

http://www.mongabay.com/igapo/Nigeria.htm
Re: ACN-Ribadu/Ngige, How Feasible? by PhysicsRND(m): 2:36am On Feb 17, 2011
asha 80:

http://www.mongabay.com/igapo/Nigeria.htm

Is the population of Ibadan three times that of Benin City?  undecided

I think whoever made that data messed up, unless they know something that I don't.
Re: ACN-Ribadu/Ngige, How Feasible? by aljharem11(m): 2:38am On Feb 17, 2011
PhysicsRND:

I think whoever made that data messed up, unless they know something that I don't.
HMD, CAN YOU EXPLAIN WHY THE POPULATION OF IBANDAN CAN NOT 3 TIMES THAT OF BENIN CITY undecided

i would like to hear,
Re: ACN-Ribadu/Ngige, How Feasible? by asha80(m): 2:45am On Feb 17, 2011
Ibadan (Yoruba: Ìbàdàn or fully Ìlú Ẹ̀bá-Ọ̀dàn, the town at the junction of the savannah and the forest) is the capital city of Oyo State and the third largest metropolitan area in Nigeria by population after Lagos and Kano according to the 2006 Nigerian census. Ibadan is also largest in geographical area.[citation needed] At independence, Ibadan was the largest and the most populous city in Nigeria and the third in Africa after Cairo and Johannesburg. It is located in south-western Nigeria, 128 km inland northeast of Lagos and 530 km southwest of Abuja, the federal capital and is a prominent transit point between the coastal region and the areas to the north. Its population is 1,338,659

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibadan

Benin City, a city (2006 est. pop. 1,147,188)
and capital of Edo State, southern Nigeria, is a city approximately twenty-five miles North of the Benin River. It is situated 200 miles by road east of Lagos. Benin is the center of Nigeria's rubber industry, but processing palm nuts for oil is still an important traditional industry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benin_City

PhysicsRND:

i have always felt the population of ibadan is around 3 million though as of 2006
Re: ACN-Ribadu/Ngige, How Feasible? by asha80(m): 2:46am On Feb 17, 2011
Re: ACN-Ribadu/Ngige, How Feasible? by ekubear1: 2:48am On Feb 17, 2011
UN ranked Ibadan around 1.4 million as of 1985. I'd be surprised if it didn't grow at all in 25 years. . .

I imagine that Lagos has sucked away a lot of manpower out of the SW, but natural population growth and those who choose to move to Ibadan rather than Lagos would also contribute to growth.

But I sort of understand the sentiment behind your statement. All these great empires of the past (Benin, Sokoto Emirate, Kanem-Borno Empire), somehow they seem to have been outbred by Yoruba and especially Igbo.
Re: ACN-Ribadu/Ngige, How Feasible? by ekubear1: 2:54am On Feb 17, 2011
Asha 80: Thanks. I'll look at that too. Maybe also see if there is anyone I can email to understand the UN's methodology a bit better.
Re: ACN-Ribadu/Ngige, How Feasible? by ekubear1: 3:00am On Feb 17, 2011
Also, what are your thoughts about the population of the 5 Igbo states? Understated, overstated?

Either Nigeria is far less populated than commonly believed, or some states are being dramatically underestimated population wise.

I sort of lean towards the latter, but sort of want more information.

I found the 1991 census data, btw: http://www.nigerianmuse.com/projects/ElectoralReformProject/?u=Nigeria_Census_1991.html
Re: ACN-Ribadu/Ngige, How Feasible? by fstranger3(m): 3:08am On Feb 17, 2011
Does that mean that the population of Nigeria almost doubled in 15 yrs?

Some questions:

What is the birth rate per 100 000 people in Nigeria?

How many people emigrated between 1991 and 2006?

Also, what is the death rate per 100 000 people in Nigeria.

There is something fishy about this census numbers?
Re: ACN-Ribadu/Ngige, How Feasible? by asha80(m): 3:14am On Feb 17, 2011
eku_bear:

Also, what are your thoughts about the population of the 5 Igbo states? Understated, overstated?

Either Nigeria is far less populated than commonly believed, or some states are being dramatically underestimated population wise.

I sort of lean towards the latter, but sort of want more information.

I found the 1991 census data, btw: http://www.nigerianmuse.com/projects/ElectoralReformProject/?u=Nigeria_Census_1991.html

i personally believe that population of imo and anambra are almost at par with each other with anambra having a slightly higher population.personaly i believe that the population of both states is nothing less that 4.6 million or thereabout.abia, enugu and ebonyi( in that order) are less populated that imo and anambra.

for eg onitsha is listed as around 500,000 to 600,000 as 2006 population which might be true but if you factor surrounding towns like nkpor,okpoko etc which are affiliated to onitsha then it is nothing less that 1.5 million.

one thing for sure is that you can hardly going 2 km in the south east(especially imo and anambra) without seeing a house or a human being.
Re: ACN-Ribadu/Ngige, How Feasible? by PhysicsRND(m): 3:25am On Feb 17, 2011
eku_bear:

UN ranked Ibadan around 1.4 million as of 1985. I'd be surprised if it didn't grow at all in 25 years. . .

I imagine that Lagos has sucked away a lot of manpower out of the SW, but natural population growth and those who choose to move to Ibadan rather than Lagos would also contribute to growth.

But I sort of understand the sentiment behind your statement. All these great empires of the past (Benin, Sokoto Emirate, Kanem-Borno Empire), somehow they seem to have been outbred by Yoruba and especially Igbo.

Well, that wasn't it, actually. I had never seen the 3 million statistic for Ibadan. I had always seen it listed as having a larger population than Benin, but not by that much. I guess its entirely plausible; it's just a bit of a shock to see 1.3 million one day and then see 3 million the next day. As for Benin, it's not clear that Benin was "outbred," nor the Kanuris. They were just relatively smaller groups to begin with so they had a smaller base to multiply with even if multiplying at the same rate as other larger groups, resulting in the other groups having many times more people than them.
Re: ACN-Ribadu/Ngige, How Feasible? by ekubear1: 3:42am On Feb 17, 2011
@asha80: For sure, Igboland (after Lagos and on par with Akwa Ibom) is one of the more densely populated regions in Nigeria.

However, after seeing this inflation in Kano, I sort of thought there would be more #s in Anambra, Imo and the rest of the SE. My (wild guess) was that perhaps the total figure (140 million in the country as of 2006) was correct, but that they just shifted population from the SE to the North.

But if the population of the SE zone isn't that under-inflated, maybe Nigeria is just far less populated than we think. Or did they just slice a little bit of population from each region of the south and add it to the north?

I'm kind of confused a bit now.
Re: ACN-Ribadu/Ngige, How Feasible? by fstranger3(m): 3:45am On Feb 17, 2011
^^^^

You need to listen more to Fela

Nigeria is a gestapo country I tell ya.
Re: ACN-Ribadu/Ngige, How Feasible? by ekubear1: 3:47am On Feb 17, 2011
^-- Which song is that? I'll youtube it.
Re: ACN-Ribadu/Ngige, How Feasible? by asha80(m): 3:50am On Feb 17, 2011
eku_bear:

@asha80: For sure, Igboland (after Lagos and on par with Akwa Ibom) is one of the more densely populated regions in Nigeria.

However, after seeing this inflation in Kano, I sort of thought there would be more #s in Anambra, Imo and the rest of the SE. My (wild guess) was that perhaps the total figure (140 million in the country as of 2006) was correct, but that they just shifted population from the SE to the North.

But if the population of the SE zone isn't that under-inflated, maybe Nigeria is just far less populated than we think. Or did they just slice a little bit of population from each region of the south and add it to the north?

I'm kind of confused a bit now.

nigeria can be very confusing and population issues are always coated with controversy.
Re: ACN-Ribadu/Ngige, How Feasible? by Kilode1: 3:55am On Feb 17, 2011
eku_bear:

Try this title: Military Rule and Population Issues in Nigeria, Author: Aderanti Adepoju Source: African Affairs, Vol. 80, No. 318 (Jan., 1981), pp. 29-47

We've had Several academic research works done on the obvious population falsification that's been going on in Nigeria since the early 60s

You can use Jstor if you have the access. I'm not sure if I can post the particular article due to copyright issues, and NL spambot, But I got this info from the journal.

STATES   '63 in Mil     '73 in Mil          %change

North East         7,793         15,380             6"8

Kano                  5,775         10,900             6"4

North West        5,734         8,500               3"9

North Central     4,098         6,790               5 1

Benue Plateau   4,009         5,170               2.5

Kwara                2,399         4,640               6.6

West                  9,488         8,920            -0.62

Lagos                1,444          2,470              5.4

Mid-West           2,536          3,240              2.5

East Central      7,228           8,060             1.1

South East       3,526           3,460              -0.51

Rivers               1,545           2,230               3.7

Source: Extracted from the Daily Times, Friday 10 May, 1974 p. 1. (via  African Affairs article above)

As you can see from the table, The SW, SE and most of the non core North regions decreased dramatically(to say the least) from 1963 to 1973. those regions recorded negative percentages LOL. It's like people moved out of the SE and SW shocked

Mind boggling really! The discrepancies were protested by leaders in the south according to the 1981 article, but it stood, and it was encouraged by our military rulers after that.

Read the journal and search for others works too.

IMO, Nigeria is probably the only geographical area on earth where human population decreases as you get closer to the sea.

Now, I do not have conclusive evidence, but my take is that we have a huge population robbery going on in Nigeria. probably for sinister political power reasons since the late 50's to early 60's.

My country is an interesting case-study really.
Re: ACN-Ribadu/Ngige, How Feasible? by ekubear1: 4:01am On Feb 17, 2011
^-- Cool! Yeah I'm still in the office so have JSTOR access.

I'll download and read that one, as well as any others you might suggest.

I came across this one: http://afraf.oxfordjournals.org/content/87/349/553.full.pdf
Re: ACN-Ribadu/Ngige, How Feasible? by asha80(m): 4:03am On Feb 17, 2011
Kilode?!:

Try this title: Military Rule and Population Issues in Nigeria Author: Aderanti Adepoju Source: African Affairs, Vol. 80, No. 318 (Jan., 1981), pp. 29-47

We've had Several academic research works done on the obvious population falsification that's been going on in Nigeria since the early 60s

You can use Jstor is you have the access. I'm not sure if I can post the particular article due to copyright issues, and NL spambot, But I got this info from the journal.

North East         7,793         15,380             6"8

Kano                  5,775         10,900             6"4

North West        5,734         8,500               3"9

North Central     4,098         6,790               5 1

Benue Plateau   4,009         5,170               2.5

Kwara                2,399         4,640               6.6

Mid-West           2,536          3,240              2.5

East Central      7,228           8,060             1.1

South East       3,526           3,460              -0.51

Rivers               1,545           2,230               3.7

Source: Extracted from the Daily Times, Friday 10 May, 1974 p. 1. (via  African Affairs article above)

As you can see from the table, The SW, SE and most of the non core North regions decreased dramatically(to say the least) from 1963 to 1973. those regions recorded negative percentages LOL. It's like people moved out of the SE and SW shocked

Mind boggling really! The discrepancies were protested by leaders in the south according to the 1981 article, but it stood, and it was encouraged by our military rulers after that.

Read the journal and search for others works too.

IMO, Nigeria is the probably the only geographical area on earth where human population decreases as you get closer to the sea.

Now, I do not have conclusive evidence, but my take is that we have a huge population robbery going on in Nigeria. probably for sinister political power reasons since the late 50's to early 60's.

My country is an interesting case-study really.

hehe
Re: ACN-Ribadu/Ngige, How Feasible? by ekubear1: 4:07am On Feb 17, 2011
Kilode?!:

Lol. Even at 3% annualized population growth per year (conservative considering natural pop growth and immigration to the SW from all over Nigeria and West Africa), we should get

octave:13> (9488+1444)*1.03**47
ans =  4.3858e+04

44 million people in the SW region. Yet the 2006 census claimed 27.7 million?  undecided And I could easily imagine 4% population growth over that time period.

Hrm, before I thought it was Igboland whose population was being dramatically undercounted, but now I am starting to wonder. . .
Re: ACN-Ribadu/Ngige, How Feasible? by fstranger3(m): 4:19am On Feb 17, 2011
^^^

What are you basing your 3% population growth rate on?

Isnt 1.5% growth a better estimate?

We are long far from the years when people give birth like rats and in terms of population migration to the SW, people come and go. Some come and from there travel out, some are there temporarily for jobs and more a lot of people actually do go back to their state of origin.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/peo_pop_gro_rat-people-population-growth-rate&int=-1
Re: ACN-Ribadu/Ngige, How Feasible? by ekubear1: 4:28am On Feb 17, 2011
fstranger3:

^^^

What are you basing your 3% population growth on?

Isnt 1.5% growth a better estimate?

We are long far from the years when people give birth like rats
Benin Republic our neighbor is at 3% still today (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_population_growth_rate). Niger our northern neighbor is at 3.49%. Cameroon is at 2%. Yet Yorubaland specifically and Nigeria in general is at 1.5%?  undecided

Anyway, I dunno what the growth rate should be; maybe 3% is too high annualized over the past 47 years. But 2% is too low, and certainly 1.5% is too low.

And I concede that my 4% figure was way too high.

and in terms of population migration to the SW, people come and go. Some come and from there travel out, some are there temporarily for jobs and more a lot of people actually do go back to their state of origin.

The net flow into Yorubaland is positive, though.
Re: ACN-Ribadu/Ngige, How Feasible? by fstranger3(m): 4:35am On Feb 17, 2011
Re: ACN-Ribadu/Ngige, How Feasible? by Kilode1: 5:53am On Feb 17, 2011
eku_bear:

^-- Cool! Yeah I'm still in the office so have JSTOR access.

I'll download and read that one, as well as any others you might suggest.

I came across this one: http://afraf.oxfordjournals.org/content/87/349/553.full.pdf

Yea, I saw that article too,

This one on Kano is very interesting; Kano: A Sudanese Metropolis, Derwent Whittlesey; Geographical Review, Vol. 27, No. 2 (Apr., 1937), pp. 177-19
It listed the Kano City population(I'm thinking metro) as 89,000+ in 1932, That was large if you consider that period.

This other work:The Growth of Residential Districts in Ibadan : Akin Mabogunje: Geographical Review, Vol. 52, No. 1 (Jan., 1962), pp. 56-77
recorded the population of Ibadan as 387,000+ in 1931 shocked

Now, keep in mind, Prof. Akin Mabogunje is Yoruba while the other Geographer was British. Don't know if that means anything considering Mabogunje's respectable professional pedigree, but I may be biased though undecided

Also, I'm not sure exactly if I should interpret Ibadan as meaning the metropolis or not, I know the Kano estimate of 1932 was for the main walled city as explained by the British guy

Interesting stuff. eku_bear, now,  can you do that your math Magic and crunch the estimate for us? grin cheesy
(a 3% population growth seems conservative to me though)

@stranger, I enjoyed that Fela video, I tell ya, Nigeria is owned by some people, we just need to beg them to make their shares public, we sef wan buy grin
Re: ACN-Ribadu/Ngige, How Feasible? by ekubear1: 6:29am On Feb 17, 2011

Since the previous censuses in Nigeria had been marred by cases of inflated figures, as early as 1972, arrangements for another population census in 1973
became finalized. The figures though admitted as the most thorough head count anywhere in the world were greeted by a number of protests. Chief Awolowo became the first national politician to publicly reject the 1973 census when he claimed that the figures were absolutely unreliable. The 1973 census became the ‘last straw’ factor that led to the demise of Gowon’s administration. Gowon’s successor, General Murtala Muhammed declined to use the controversial 1973 population census. Instead, the 1963 population census continued to be used. The indignation over the 1973 population census had not been totally erased from the political board of Nigeria before the Babangida administration conducted the 1991 population census. This was contentious and
acrimonious. It became the most controversial and maligned exercise (Salaudeen, 2004). The figures showed that the population of the northern states had surged by 62% from 1963 figures to 47 million, the East by 50% to 18 million the West rose by 10% over a period of 30 years.
Falsification of population census data in a heterogeneous Nigerian state: The fourth republic example, J. Adele Bamgbose

Lol, damn. 10% population growth in the old Western region over the course of 30 years? Na wa o. This Babangida fella. . . or were somehow the Western Region #s dramatically inflated in 1963? I'm puzzled.
Re: ACN-Ribadu/Ngige, How Feasible? by Kilode1: 7:37am On Feb 17, 2011
^^ You should read this;
How Many Nigerians? An Analysis of Nigeria's Census Problems, 1901-63, Author: S. A. Aluko Source: The Journal of Modern African Studies, Vol. 3, No. 3 (Oct., 1965), pp. 371-392

He actually made the assertion at a point that our whole population estimate in Nigeria is totally wrong and maybe we are not anywhere as populated as we claim.

I don't think we know how many we are at all, it got interesting when he basically rubbished the population census done by the British as early as the 1800s, the 1920s through to the late 50s LOL.

The  Government  Statistician  commented  that  there  was  good
reason to  suppose the  census figures to  be  'slightly  defective in  the
Northern Provinces and much in  defect in  the  Southern Provinces'.
He estimated that the figures were probably understated by about five
per cent in  the Northern Provinces, ten per cent in Lagos and in  the
Abeokuta, Benin,  Cameroons, Ijebu,  Ogoja,  Ondo,  Oyo,  and Warri
Provinces of Southern Nigeria,  and  fifteen to  twenty per cent in  the
Onitsha, Owerri, and Calabar Provinces of Eastern Nigeria.

The population of the Southern Provinces was given as 8,37I,000  in
I92I  and only 8,493,000  in  1931,  while that of the Northern Provinces
increased from 9,998,ooo  in  I92I  to  II,435,000  in  I93I;  this tends to
confirm the impression that the 1931 census gave a gross under-estimate
for  Southern Nigeria.

It  seems  obvious  that  all  population  figures
between  I900  and  I93I  were largely inaccurate and may  have  been
consistently under-estimated. It is remarkable, however, that so much
population data should be  available at  all during the period,
in view of the administrative difficulties, the lack of money, and the scarcity of
qualified personnel.

Owing  to  the war,  there was no  further census enumeration until
that of I950-3,  which was conducted at different times throughout the
country. The census of Lagos was conducted in I950-I,  that of Northern
Nigeria between May and July  i952,  Western and Midwestern Nigeria
in  December  1952  and January  I953,  and Eastern Nigeria in  May,
June,  and August 1953

Maybe our population is exactly as it's claimed, maybe not. You can read more in the article. Nigeria is confusing. . .
Re: ACN-Ribadu/Ngige, How Feasible? by ekubear1: 8:07am On Feb 17, 2011
^-- Lol, right in the middle of reading it. Was just about to post the following image, Table 1:

http://i51.tinypic.com/ie0ccj.png

Breaks down the results of the various surveys over time.

Prof Sam Aluko seems to have more faith in the 1950-1953 total pop #s than the 1963 #s.

One of these other guys made a case for the 1950-1953 result undercounting, or something, though (will dig up the criticism in a bit.)

Thing is, if you use the 1963 # of 55.66 million and the 2006 # of ~140 million, you get an annual growth rate of 2.168%. Which seems extremely low for a 3rd world country like Nigeria over that period of time. 2.5% minimum is the smallest I'd guess over that time period. So Aluko's case for the 1963 #s being grossly inflated seems solid (unless we either believe that Nigeria's pop was more than 140 million as of 2006, or the country had a very small growth rate. I don't believe either of these things personally.)

On the other hand, if you use the 1950-1953 # of 30.42 million, and assume 30.42 mil in 1953, then you get a growth rate of 2.92%. Which seems pretty reasonable overall for Nigeria.

This is actually getting sort of fun, lol.
Re: ACN-Ribadu/Ngige, How Feasible? by Kilode1: 8:46am On Feb 17, 2011
eku_bear:

^-- Lol, right in the middle of reading it. Was just about to post the following image, Table 1:

http://i51.tinypic.com/ie0ccj.png

Breaks down the results of the various surveys over time.

Prof Sam Aluko seems to have more faith in the 1950-1953 total pop #s than the 1963 #s.

One of these other guys made a case for the 1950-1953 result undercounting, or something, though (will dig up the criticism in a bit.)

Thing is, if you use the 1963 # of 55.66 million and the 2006 # of ~140 million, you get an annual growth rate of 2.168%. Which seems extremely low for a 3rd world country like Nigeria over that period of time. 2.5% minimum is the smallest I'd guess over that time period. So Aluko's case for the 1963 #s being grossly inflated seems solid (unless we either believe that Nigeria's pop was more than 140 million as of 2006, or the country had a very small growth rate. I don't believe either of these things personally.)

On the other hand, if you use the 1950-1953 # of 30.42 million, and assume 30.42 mil in 1963, then you get a growth rate of 2.92%. Which seems pretty reasonable overall for Nigeria.

This is actually getting sort of fun, lol.

Ok so we already know the British don't know how to count and they passed the disease to us. cheesy

I can see how the North can have those huge numbers due to the different ethnic groups classified as a monolithic north. I'm not sure I buy the current state by state break down though.

How come western region showed such a huge percentage gain in '63?

Was it a jump in birth rate? or the numbers were earlier understated due to cultural push-backs(folks avoiding headcount for superstitious reasons)

Same can be said for the east, though not as huge as the West in % increase between 1953-1963,

Ok, It's getting sort of fun for you? LOL you are a real nerd bro!

Hopefully I can join the fun back when I wake up.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Obama Does Not Respect Buhari (photo) / Check Out Ghanians Reactions To Nigeria Delaying Plans To Cut Ghana's Gas Supply / What The Hell Is "Niger Delta Republic"?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.