Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,353 members, 7,819,254 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:23 PM

Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder (24030 Views)

Yakubu Aiyegbeni: 'Gernot Rohr Is The Worst Coach In Nigeria History' / Yakubu Aiyegbeni Celebrates His 37th Birthday Today / Aiyegbeni Names Best Striker In Super Eagles Squad Ahead Of AFCON (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by eyoohood(m): 5:03pm On Aug 11, 2020
Keep missing yakubu
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by gentleguy1975: 5:06pm On Aug 11, 2020
femi4:
Yekini was Afcon 94 man of the tournament
ur source? Yekini was the highest goal scorer while Oliseh got the highest rating because he had a hand in almost if not all the goals scored by the eagles in that tournament
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by TruthinAction: 5:23pm On Aug 11, 2020
I remember Oliseh for his long tailored passes. He has an eagle eye. I will also not forget his goal against Spain in 1998 that gave us the victory. It was a bullet shot from outside the eighteen yard box.

1 Like

Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by chukwugoziegi: 5:36pm On Aug 11, 2020
FamousMonk:
How Important is it for a woman to know how to cook?
Can one marry a woman he loves and finds happiness with even if she doesn't know how to cook?

YES!
YES!!
YES!!!
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by GEEBITE: 5:38pm On Aug 11, 2020
Ajax,Dortmund,Cologne are the small clubs right.The first Nigerian to be signed by an Italian club(Regianna)which was a great feat then.
denvers:
The 'yak' is still a government as far as Nigerian football is concerned.

But Mikel is more tactical and positional for defensive midfield, Oliseh was more of an average player, he only had few exceptional games, he played for small clubs in lesser leagues save Juventus.

He had very poor stats for most of his clubs being a journey man.

1 Like

Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by femi4: 5:44pm On Aug 11, 2020
gentleguy1975:
ur source? Yekini was the highest goal scorer while Oliseh got the highest rating because he had a hand in almost if not all the goals scored by the eagles in that tournament
Seriously

Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by OJEEMAH(m): 5:45pm On Aug 11, 2020
Amokachi is mad. How would a right thinking person rate Mikel as the best ever 9ja player. This is absurd. Was Mikel even a world class player?? A regular bench warmer at chelsea. He can't even break into the squad that played USA & Tunisia 1994 and even in terms of trophies, Kanu can match his collection toe-to-toe. I am not under rating him but expressing my opinion without sentiment.
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by bassman007(m): 5:58pm On Aug 11, 2020
Goke7:

who are the top 10 best? Most decorated Nigerian player cannot make your top 10 best, what manner of contradiction grin
There is a big difference between most decorated player and greatest ever player. Oleksandr Shovkowskiy, a retired Russian and Dynamo Kiev goal keeper, is the second most decorated player in football history behind Dani Alves but he is not mentioned among the top 20 best keepers in history. Individual statistics is what is used to rank greatest players in football and not trophy cabinet.
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by Seunfretty: 6:01pm On Aug 11, 2020
pls I tink wen we argue then we need to be clear about wat the topic points at....yakubu means oliseh is better in terms of ability...Mikel was part of a great football generation and won all....but my question and wat we should ask oursleves is .."are all players in a good and succeful team the best players"?.....the present midfield of Liverpool that won last champions league and league is "fabinho...wilgnadum...henderson/keita".... do u want to tell me that midfield is better talented than city" s "debruny....gundogan...and fernadinho" that hasn't even gotten to a champions league final in almost a decade?....let's understand something's...u don't need to be a spectacular player all tje time before u succeed and form a great era...some of players who played in a great team today weren't spectacular.... the only set of pple that will tell me mikel is a better footballer than the oliseh we had in the 90s are maib the pple DAT started watching football last week......oliseh was miles better but Mikel was far more successful

1 Like

Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by Jodera: 6:11pm On Aug 11, 2020
Seunfretty:
pls I tink wen we argue then we need to be clear about wat the topic points at....yakubu means oliseh is better in terms of ability...Mikel was part of a great football generation and won all....but my question and wat we should ask oursleves is .."are all players in a good and succeful team the best players"?.....the present midfield of Liverpool that won last champions league and league is "fabinho...wilgnadum...henderson/keita".... do u want to tell me that midfield is better talented than city" s "debruny....gundogan...and fernadinho" that hasn't even gotten to a champions league final in almost a decade?....let's understand something's...u don't need to be a spectacular player all tje time before u succeed and form a great era...some of players who played in a great team today weren't spectacular.... the only set of pple that will tell me mikel is a better footballer than the oliseh we had in the 90s are maib the pple DAT started watching football last week......oliseh was miles better but Mikel was far more successful
When someone tells me Mikel is better than Essien in Chelsea, I just gave up.

Using collective team effort achievement to judge a player.
I guess shaqiri is the best Switzerland player presently. Afterall he's a multiple league, champions league and CWC winner.
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by Murketeer: 6:13pm On Aug 11, 2020
adioolayi:
Aiyegbeni Yakubu.....Bros, I have not forgiven you that Point Blank Miss against South Korea in 2010 Worldcup....That miss of the century...You do me something that day. angry sad
Lol...but he'd score some really crucial goals for us in those days sha
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by blasterman(m): 6:22pm On Aug 11, 2020
davibid:

The Mikel we saw in 2005 was a prospective superstar, but I think he remained complacent about himself as a professional footballer and concentrated more on making money, hence he was contented with being on Chelsea’s bench. Yes! He won practically every trophy an average player would dream of winning except the WC but regardless Mikel can’t rated as someone you had spectacular career.
Remember we have good players and great players, and few fantastic players.

But Mikel was just a player and between him and Sunday, I’ll give to Sunday.

#KINGBID

Mourinho converted Mikel to a DM and he was at best a squad backup player for chelsea
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:58pm On Aug 11, 2020
blasterman:

Mourinho converted Mikel to a DM and he was at best a squad backup player for chelsea

Can a back up player start a champions league final?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by FamousMonk: 7:14pm On Aug 11, 2020
chukwugoziegi:

YES!
YES!!
YES!!!
How will they cope with the food stuff?
Note that I do like cooking for her,in fact I enjoy it,but of course I'm oblivious of how to cook soup,in fact I don't like or even wanna learn how to..
But I'll still wanna eat soup every now and then..
Plus I prefer home made food as I'm very particular about what I ingest in public.
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by chukwugoziegi: 8:29pm On Aug 11, 2020
FamousMonk:

How will they cope with the food stuff?
Note that I do like cooking for her,in fact I enjoy it,but of course I'm oblivious of how to cook soup,in fact I don't like or even wanna learn how to..
But I'll still wanna eat soup every now and then..
Plus I prefer home made food as I'm very particular about what I ingest in public.

If you can cook then you should do the cooking or maybe teach her.
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by Neddyogu(m): 8:34pm On Aug 11, 2020
Afam4eva:
I smell jealousy from Amokachi and Aiyegbeni.

Amokachi will rather concede that ikel is NIgeria's greatest player instead of his fellow team mates, Okocha and Kanu.

Aiyegbeni on the other hand will rather choose someone from time past as the best defensive midfielder than a his fellow Nigerian team mate Mikel Obi. But Aiyegbeni is closer to the truth than Amokachi.

I personally think Mikel should never be mentioned in anything that has BEST in it as far as football is concerned

What about best bench warmer?
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by Goke7: 8:35pm On Aug 11, 2020
bassman007:
There is a big difference between most decorated player and greatest ever player. Oleksandr Shovkowskiy, a retired Russian and Dynamo Kiev goal keeper, is the second most decorated player in football history behind Dani Alves but he is not mentioned among the top 20 best keepers in history. Individual statistics is what is used to rank greatest players in football and not trophy cabinet.

interesting, pls give me the individual statistics of the 10 greatest Nigerian footballers ever, am waiting o

na so una go push una selves into one corner you can't defend, biko am waiting for the individual statistics of Nigeria's best 10, oya let's go there
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by Goke7: 8:44pm On Aug 11, 2020
VeeVeeMyLuv:
Yak is very correct

Oliseh and his then fellow squad members are just up up there in the sky!

Is it passion, leadership?

There is no comparison.

But Mikel is no doubt a great great player, he was supposed and expected to be our greatest ever player just as the likes of Messi and Ronaldo

This is the problem, mikel cannot be like messi or ronaldo. He is simply mikel. We Nigerians just wanted mikel to be what he can never be, can't we just accept the way he is? can we say he is a failure? if he is not then what is our problem actually. club, we say he no good, country we say he no good haba, i tire for una
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by ymstar(m): 8:45pm On Aug 11, 2020
Correct
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by ymstar(m): 8:45pm On Aug 11, 2020
Damianwest19:
How is Oliseh far ahead?

Mikel did well in Champions League, FA cups, Multiple EPL big games. A key player in a very successful chelsea and capped it with a brilliant AFCON as a standout player for Nigeria.

So how is Oliseh greater?
During Tunisia '94, most of the goals that the team scored was as a result of Olise's pullout and crosses even the final goal that gave us the trophy came from his cross. Although he was not spectacular in his clubside in terms of trophies but when it came to National duties he put in wonderful performance. Remember his goal against Spain in France '98...There was a time he was even sick and the Eagles were losing to Senegal and he insisted on playing even though he was not dressed for the match...He was also good during the '94 World Cup
I remembered that match
I was even scared that day, because the sickness showed on his face, but when he entered, he held the midfield position well.

I swear he had my respect that day, the loyalty and commitment is too much, but oilseh is aggressive
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by Afam4eva(m): 8:57pm On Aug 11, 2020
Neddyogu:

What about best bench warmer?
Who is that?
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by ymstar(m): 8:57pm On Aug 11, 2020
WowSweetGuy:
Sunday Oliseh the crying machine. His passion was too much
Yes, he's passion was too much
Plus aggression

1 Like

Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by Shegman22(m): 9:27pm On Aug 11, 2020
See dre national team stat

Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by emecheboy2(m): 9:48pm On Aug 11, 2020
People just hate Mikel for nothing, envy and jealousy people everywhere. Believe it or not, Mikel is better than Oliseh period.

robosky02:
Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder –Aiyegbeni

https://www.completesports.com/oliseh-greater-than-mikel-as-defensive-midfielder-aiyegbeni/
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by Teeboi56: 10:44pm On Aug 11, 2020
That's for sure
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by PreyingMantis(m): 11:28pm On Aug 11, 2020
elpochas:
You cant even compare them,just that Mikel won more.Only that Oliseh goal against Spain in France98 ends the debate.
Mikel also scored a very fantastic goal against Uruguay at the Confederations Cup.

For those who do not understand football, Mikel was the author and finisher of our 2013 Africa Cup of Nations triumph. Oliseh wasn't that instrumental in any trophies we won during his time
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by PreyingMantis(m): 11:41pm On Aug 11, 2020
milehigh06:
Mike played for Chelsea while Oliseh played for juve
When Oliseh played for Juve ..chelsea was not really a power house and still what did Oliseh win at that time...Nigerians hate Mikel,why...i have no idea but to compare Mikel to Oliseh is plain rubbish..Only thing Oliseh has over Mikel is number of goals,after that....nothing
Mikel has more goals than Oliseh... The bitter truth for the Mikel haters here is that Oliseh has nothing on him.
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by elpochas: 12:07am On Aug 12, 2020
[quote author=PreyingMantis post=92718756][/quote]The caption was all about a who was better holding midfielder and not who contributed or who won the most trophies.Thank God a former footballer that played,knows and understands the game better than we both has given his verdict.
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by Muna1958: 1:56am On Aug 12, 2020
What is your definition of an average player, tell me a club oliseh held down their ist eleven shirt for three seasons,Mikel played under not less than 9 managers in Chelsea and all of them used him,if he wasn't good,Chelsea wouldn't have kept him for so long, maintaining that consistency at the highest level is not easy my brother,go and ask bakayoko

The Mikel we saw in 2005 was a prospective superstar, but I think he remained complacent about himself as a professional footballer and concentrated more on making money, hence he was contented with being on Chelsea’s bench. Yes! He won practically every trophy an average player would dream of winning except the WC but regardless, Mikel can’t be rated as someone who had spectacular career.
Remember we have good players and great players, and few fantastic players.

But Mikel was just a player and between him and Sunday, I’ll give it to Sunday.

#KINGBID[/color][/quote]
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by Nobody: 3:01am On Aug 12, 2020
Jodera:
How's Mikel a key player in Chelsea during their successful period? Tell me how many starts he has per season and how many mins he had per season during their successful period?
Let's leave sentiments aside, the way we're hyping him someone will think he's one yaya toure of Manchester city

185 which is about 50% of the number of games he played for chelsea

thats pretty good
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by Nobody: 3:01am On Aug 12, 2020
PreyingMantis:
Mikel has more goals than Oliseh... The bitter truth for the Mikel haters here is that Oliseh has nothing on him.

oh did not even know that...so why are they foaming
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by blasterman(m): 4:51am On Aug 12, 2020
TheGoodJoe:

Can a back up player start a champions league final?

Why not.

If a main player is suspended due to injuries or 2 many yellow cards or red card.

John Terry did not play that final and he was their captain. the backup Gary Cahil was playing.

Unless you dont know football Oliseh is better than Mikel in Defensive Midfielder.

Just that nigeria dont keep statistics Oliseh created most of yekinis assist during afcon that the won.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Marylove Edwards Emerges 3rd In Tennis Competition In Morocco / Germany Lose A World Cup Qualifying Match At Home For The First Time In 20yrs / Anthony Joshua Accepts Terms For Tyson Fury Fight

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.