Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,279 members, 7,818,936 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:39 AM

Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder (24029 Views)

Yakubu Aiyegbeni: 'Gernot Rohr Is The Worst Coach In Nigeria History' / Yakubu Aiyegbeni Celebrates His 37th Birthday Today / Aiyegbeni Names Best Striker In Super Eagles Squad Ahead Of AFCON (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by Ogbeniomo: 3:37pm On Aug 11, 2020
milehigh06:

Mike played for Chelsea while Oliseh played for juve
When Oliseh played for Juve ..chelsea was not really a power house and still what did Oliseh win at that time...Nigerians hate Mikel,why...i have no idea but to compare Mikel to Oliseh is plain rubbish..Only thing Oliseh has over Mikel is number of goals,after that....nothing
Then what Mikel has over Oliseh as an individual player?
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by Grandmeister(m): 3:37pm On Aug 11, 2020
LLSAINT:
Look beyond emotions
Winning trophies has nothing to do with a singular player. It is a team effort.
The Stats for passes speak
Then what are your stats for saying oliseh was better?? You say emotions but when asked for head to head stats and achievements you say it doesn’t matter...
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by Glaswegian: 3:38pm On Aug 11, 2020
uvie66:
This man still get mouth talk... the goal whey my grandma fit score e no fit. One of Nigerian worst striker.

He is your 3rd best striker in history going by goals for national team.

And 3rd best African striker in EPL history going by goals in EPL.

Missing one goal does not detract from this record.

And he even later scored in that game sef.
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by EdiskyHarry: 3:39pm On Aug 11, 2020
Mikel would have ended up as one of the greatest midfielder or footballer on earth, but bcoz he was misguided and confused, Chelsea stole him from man u, convert him to a defensive midfielder, and that's how they tarnished his career.
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by ngozika2us(m): 3:39pm On Aug 11, 2020
Before nko..Who wan argue that one.
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by Nobody: 3:41pm On Aug 11, 2020
sexyboy193:
During the days of oliseh...he is more offensive in front of net than Mikel. Thou Mikel is my best player during the time of the likes of Taye Taiwo

Oliseh was a better defender, a better midfielder, better at link up play from the back to the attackers, better going forward and had more attacking credentials than Mikel. As a captain, Oliseh was a natural leader, after the Keshi, Enyeama, Peter Rufai model. If you don't pull your weight on the pitch, he could eat you raw.

Mikel, I think, never lived up to his incredible potential. In age grade football, he was ranked alongside Messi as a star for the future. Let's leave it there.

As for me, they said, go to school or you will amount to nothing....
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by mekzymiles(m): 3:44pm On Aug 11, 2020
Mikel wey siddon for bench Carry trophy
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by jUeLiZ: 3:56pm On Aug 11, 2020
it is very simple, let's do it here,,, Like for Mikel, Share for Oliseh
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by mayor1814: 3:57pm On Aug 11, 2020
It's so glaring and clear that Mikel is NOT among Nigeria's GREATEST PLAYERS. He was fortunate to be in a good team Chelsea, when Chelsea was reigning. Though he was successful in terms of trophies won BUT being successful is totally different from being among THE GREATEST.
E.G Silvestre won the world cup. Messi never won world cup.

Silvestre won champions league. Ronaldo of Brazil never won champions league.

So we can see Silvestre was successful but it's very clear n glaring that MESSI and RONALDO NAZARIO WILL ALWAYS BE AMONG THE GREATEST FOOTBALLERS EVER TO GRACE THE GAME OF SOCCER.

meanwhile Silvestre will NEVER be considered among the great players not to talk of greatest players.

3 Likes

Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by jUeLiZ: 3:58pm On Aug 11, 2020
Nbotee:
Before nko..... Oliseh was by far a beta player both on d field of play and off it. He was a far beta Leader and captain as well.. But there is no greater miss than dat one u missed in d world cup sha...
you will have to try your best to explain...but they will not believe you
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by bassman007(m): 4:02pm On Aug 11, 2020
Mikel is the most decorated Nigerian player in history but definitely not the best. I wouldn't even include him in my top 10 best Nigerian players in history
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by Jamesz12: 4:02pm On Aug 11, 2020
Comparing Oliseh to Mikel in the game of soccer is like comparing a Lionel Messi to Salomon Kalou

If one is to mention the best 5 players ever to play for Nigeria, Mikel no even join
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by gentleguy1975: 4:02pm On Aug 11, 2020
Oliseh!that guy was a colossus during his playing days,shortly after the 1994 Afcon success where he was rated man of the tournament, complete football magazine wrote about him thus: "
While Mutiu Adepoju and other midfielders are won't to carry the ball upfield for Yekini to do the damage, Oliseh was a master of onetime killer passes!"
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by Jamesz12: 4:02pm On Aug 11, 2020
bassman007:
Mikel is the most decorated Nigerian player in history but definitely not the best. I wouldn't even include him in my top 10 best Nigerian players in history
Thank you
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by denvers: 4:04pm On Aug 11, 2020
The 'yak' is still a government as far as Nigerian football is concerned.

But Mikel is more tactical and positional for defensive midfield, Oliseh was more of an average player, he only had few exceptional games, he played for small clubs in lesser leagues save Juventus.

He had very poor stats for most of his clubs being a journey man.

2 Likes

Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by greatopec: 4:05pm On Aug 11, 2020
Hello pls help a fellow nairalander by voting for my baby. Thank u.pls verify ur email for ur vote to count.

https://happybaby.pep.com.ng/view/55ba9102a736bea7f83054d7bf9b1a76
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by gentleguy1975: 4:07pm On Aug 11, 2020
At USA 94 world cup,he was rated among the top 4 defensive midfielder alongside Juan Vernon,Edgar David and one other player by FIFA. The guy was that good.
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by femi4: 4:12pm On Aug 11, 2020
pafra:
I agree with yakubu.
For trophies you give it to mikel.
But on the field of play Sunday oliseh is far more better
Mikel isn't even a natural defensive midfielder. He's luck he played for Chelsea where trophies are guaranteed
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by femi4: 4:14pm On Aug 11, 2020
gentleguy1975:
Oliseh!that guy was a colossus during his playing days,shortly after the 1994 Afcon success where he was rated man of the tournament, complete football magazine wrote about him thus: "
While Mutiu Adepoju and other midfielders are won't to carry the ball upfield for Yekini to do the damage, Oliseh was a master of onetime killer passes!"
Yekini was Afcon 94 man of the tournament

1 Like

Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by WowSweetGuy(m): 4:14pm On Aug 11, 2020
Sunday Oliseh the crying machine. His passion was too much
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by Goke7: 4:27pm On Aug 11, 2020
mayor1814:
It's so glaring and clear that Mikel is NOT among Nigeria's GREATEST PLAYERS. He was fortunate to be in a good team Chelsea, when Chelsea was reigning. Though he was successful in terms of trophies won BUT being successful is totally different from being among THE GREATEST.
E.G Silvestre won the world cup. Messi never won world cup.

Silvestre won champions league. Ronaldo of Brazil never won champions league.

So we can see Silvestre was successful but it's very clear n glaring that MESSI and RONALDO NAZARIO WILL ALWAYS BE AMONG THE GREATEST FOOTBALLERS EVER TO GRACE THE GAME OF SOCCER.

meanwhile Silvestre will NEVER be considered among the great players not to talk of greatest players.

messi not winning the world cup is the reason you can't go to Argentina and say he is better than maradona despite he has won more individual honours than a Maradona. There is just something excellent about you when you do it both at club and at National team level. And to say mikel is not among Nigeria's greatest means we have to re-define the meaning of a truly great player. Is it by entertaining crowd with yells of eeeeee that makes a true great player? Pls tell me

And to say Mikel was fortunate to be in chelsea is a big contradiction since most folks believe chelsea spoilt his career so what is fortunate there

3 Likes

Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by fefenoble88: 4:28pm On Aug 11, 2020
Words of M.I...
Keep missing Yakubu. 1994 Squad can never be forgotten,political players of this days. Ndidi live Leceister 4 a better club as well to attain a greater height.
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by Goke7: 4:30pm On Aug 11, 2020
bassman007:

who are the top 10 best? Most decorated Nigerian player cannot make your top 10 best, what manner of contradiction grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by fredoooooo: 4:31pm On Aug 11, 2020
Alaye shut up ya mouth , mikel is the best

1 Like

Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by ejimatic: 4:37pm On Aug 11, 2020
robosky02:
Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder –Aiyegbeni

https://www.completesports.com/oliseh-greater-than-mikel-as-defensive-midfielder-aiyegbeni/
Olishe was a natural midfielder in the Super Eagles.He collected ball and passed it to Yekini .Their combination was supeb.He never wasted time on ball.As for Mikel when he collected ball you would see him turning back making a round like the chair of a barber for the opponent defence to regroup .After Olishe I have not seen a natural midfielder in the Super Eagles

1 Like

Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by tizteezy(m): 4:37pm On Aug 11, 2020
People dey talk, Yakubu dey follow talk

Korea hit ur head dia
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by LLSAINT(m): 4:38pm On Aug 11, 2020
Bros, am talking of stats for passes that make goals
Remember, Oliseh fed Yekini like a foul feeding its chicks during their prime despite he was a defensive midfielder.
Mikel is good no doubt but Jose damaged his style of play just because he wanted a replacement of Makelele thereby turning Mikel to Mikelele
Just open your mind, get the point and enjoy.
Achievement has nothing to do with this.
Grandmeister:

Then what are your stats for saying oliseh was better?? You say emotions but when asked for head to head stats and achievements you say it doesn’t matter...
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by LLSAINT(m): 4:40pm On Aug 11, 2020
Nobody hates Mikel
He was one of the greatest we have seen
We are just being objective to a particular playing position angry
milehigh06:

Mike played for Chelsea while Oliseh played for juve
When Oliseh played for Juve ..chelsea was not really a power house and still what did Oliseh win at that time...Nigerians hate Mikel,why...i have no idea but to compare Mikel to Oliseh is plain rubbish..Only thing Oliseh has over Mikel is number of goals,after that....nothing
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by earnit1: 4:50pm On Aug 11, 2020
true
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 4:57pm On Aug 11, 2020
Yak is very correct

Oliseh and his then fellow squad members are just up up there in the sky!

Is it passion, leadership?

There is no comparison.

But Mikel is no doubt a great great player, he was supposed and expected to be our greatest ever player just as the likes of Messi and Ronaldo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Chelsea Complete The Signing Of Edouard Mendy From Rennes / Photo Of Enyeama During Nigeria's Match / Marylove Edwards Emerges 3rd In Tennis Competition In Morocco

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.