Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,008 members, 7,817,973 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:42 AM

Lagos To Enforce Regulations On Ride Hailing Companies From August 20 - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Lagos To Enforce Regulations On Ride Hailing Companies From August 20 (25586 Views)

Lagos Ride: Lagos State Unveils Ride-Hailing Taxi Scheme / Uber, Bolt Drivers Face Uncertain Future As Lagos Begins New Regulations / 10 Traffic Laws In Lagos That The Government Failed To Enforce (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos To Enforce Regulations On Ride Hailing Companies From August 20 by Openbusiness: 8:53am On Aug 12, 2020
ENG0701:
I doubt there is a 2017 car that cost less than 3.5m especially with the current exchange rate. This seems more like a strategy to reduce the number of drivers on these apps.
2017 tokunbo Corolla costs nothing less than N7.5m for accident free car. So they want someone to invest N7.5m to buy a Corolla for Uber and pick passenger from Lekki phase one to VI for N700 after spending 2 hours in traffic and hot sun, and the passenger will say Oga dis ur A/C is not blowing na, increase it to highest grin. He will spend N400 on fuel, Uber collects like N100, this useless agbero govt too will collect N100 and then the driver will be left with nothing. After 3 months the car will pack up cuz of the destructive roads and traffic. N7.5m gone down the drain. Only the most dumbest mumu in the world will invest in such a business. Even danfo buses dat are moving coffins with no a/c, no comfort, zero service, are more profitable than Uber.

9 Likes

Re: Lagos To Enforce Regulations On Ride Hailing Companies From August 20 by Coldie(m): 8:54am On Aug 12, 2020
PrudencyFeats:
All na just to extort money from drivers. If all states of the federation choose to enforce same, it means no driver would enter mowe through Lagos-Ibadan or Onitsha to Asaba.

They should just forget it and allow these drivers to drive in peace.
True now. Imagine saying for u to be a driver in Lagos u must have Lagos State driving institute card. That means if every state decides to enact this law, before u travel from Lagos to bornu u will have over 15 cards in ur possession

3 Likes

Re: Lagos To Enforce Regulations On Ride Hailing Companies From August 20 by Hedonisco: 8:55am On Aug 12, 2020
louso:
Y shld a App/Org come to our country/state without bin properly licensed and not taxed? R they not making money here? Can they try that abroad?

Lagos state is very right. There should be regulations. Anybody cant come from nowhere and start operating like it is their right. Do u know what it takes to open a business entity abroad?

You sound incredibly stupid to be honest, no offence. Too many primitive characters expressing their dumb opinions online these days.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos To Enforce Regulations On Ride Hailing Companies From August 20 by Coldie(m): 8:56am On Aug 12, 2020
amoduokoh:
Car requirement : 2017 and above grin
Na just very foolish law. They are trying to kill off the etransport system.

The recquirements are very stupid

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Enforce Regulations On Ride Hailing Companies From August 20 by Openbusiness: 8:57am On Aug 12, 2020
Coldie:

True now. Imagine saying for u to be a driver in Lagos u must have Lagos State driving institute card. That means if every state decides to enact this law, before u travel from Lagos to bornu u will have over 15 cards in ur possession
don't mind the thieves. If every state replicates half of what Lagos is doing, the country will be a fantastically chaotic mess. If every state issues their own driving license, that means to move from one state to another in Nigeria, you need to carry 35 licenses + FG license making it 36. It's not their fault at all. That's what you get when your FG is as useless as the gold on Neptune. If the FG was not useless, they will have put their foot down and scrapped that useless LASDRI of a thing. Why will the FG approve and give me a driving license to drive freely within Nigeria and then one useless state govt will now say I must get another license as if they are not part of Nigeria. And worst of it is that the useless LASDRI is nothing but another agbero extortion policy, not even about public safety. Just pay 2K bribe and get it same day. Renewable every year, more money for the thieves grin.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Enforce Regulations On Ride Hailing Companies From August 20 by Coldie(m): 8:58am On Aug 12, 2020
louso:
Y shld a App/Org come to our country/state without bin properly licensed and not taxed? R they not making money here? Can they try that abroad?

Lagos state is very right. There should be regulations. Anybody cant come from nowhere and start operating like it is their right. Do u know what it takes to open a business entity abroad?
They pay tax though, even Facebook and Google Nigeria pay tax, maybe the government thinks they are not paying enough.

Even if they pay tax the demands they Are asking for is too much, I read up like 5permits from different organization as part of the requirements, the worst of it they said all cars must be 2017 and above. I don't get it

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos To Enforce Regulations On Ride Hailing Companies From August 20 by Hedonisco: 8:59am On Aug 12, 2020
Acidosis:

Just don't complain when Uber or Bolt tells you to pay N5000 for a 1 hour trip.

You people should keep running your mouth. Government don't give a fck about you, that's why the regulation is all about them, how much they want as taxes, 10% service fee on all trips, licensing fee, annual renewal of licenses, etc. It's all about them, not you the consumer who seems to know too much on how to protect a corrupt and useless government.

The 10% charge on all transactions is actually the most ridiculous aspect of this madness. I don't understand the sheer wickedness and aloofness (and not to mention primitive greed) of these characters in government. How is this even possible? Imagine the burden on end users... Average Nigerians using the service.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos To Enforce Regulations On Ride Hailing Companies From August 20 by Coldie(m): 9:00am On Aug 12, 2020
0taPiaPia:
If I understand this story very well, "someone in the cabinet is proposing an app" I hope it's not mycab cause they brought government attention to this platforms. Now the gov haven't said anything in favour of the said drivers but only taxation.

Even the person is trying to start his own, can that person pay up all these requirements?

3 Likes

Re: Lagos To Enforce Regulations On Ride Hailing Companies From August 20 by Femeto: 9:01am On Aug 12, 2020
Them go arrest people tire. Very crazy government. Sanwo-Olu is worse than Ambode.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos To Enforce Regulations On Ride Hailing Companies From August 20 by Coldie(m): 9:01am On Aug 12, 2020
Acidosis:

At the end of the day, a bulk of the tax burden will bounce back on the consumer smiley As soon as you tax them, expect transportation cost on Uber and Bolt platforms to double.

Every serious Taxicab operator will joyfully pay the licensing fee. Can't say the same for the consumer.

The system is not feasible. Paying 10m every year, minust rent minust tax minus other expenses minus police problem, the system they Are agitating for would flop
Re: Lagos To Enforce Regulations On Ride Hailing Companies From August 20 by mamaafrik(m): 9:03am On Aug 12, 2020
okadoo:

You voted for them. So enjoy it while it last.
who is this mucuna specie,are you hale and hearty??
Re: Lagos To Enforce Regulations On Ride Hailing Companies From August 20 by uuzba(m): 9:14am On Aug 12, 2020
sylve11:
What's the difference between Uber and a guy with a car that can easily gets called up whenever his services is needed to go drop or pick somebody up, and still gets paid?
Life in Nigeria is not easy. Those in power do not know this, because, they have enough to dwell on.
cool

The mistake Nigerians made with Uber is that the owner of the car gave it to ANOTHER person to drive.
That person is now a DRIVER, who can be intimidated.

Uber is really a big boy affair. I buy my Bughatti Veyron. Then register myself on Uber.
Anybody calls me to pick them, and I just cruise my ride and pick up the person.
Nobody knows! Lagos state will not notice that I'm doing business because I'm just chilling as a big boy in my super car.
That is how Uber was supposed to be, and I guess that is how they do it overseas.

But Nigerian car owners felt TOO BIG to drive their car. And gave it to a house-boy looking driver.
Road safety and other road officials were able to profile such persons as NOT THE OWNER of the car.
If you're not the owner, then you are a hired driver.
Next thing, they categorise you with local transport and start demanding payments and other fees and certificates.
But you still have private number plate.
Now you are mixing with the small boys and can't escape.

See them now, Uber and Bolt refusing to come to attend the meeting.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos To Enforce Regulations On Ride Hailing Companies From August 20 by joyandfaith: 9:15am On Aug 12, 2020
EngrXrix:

let me help out with what this means. uber and bolt might not comply (esp uber an international coy) and might force them out of biz which will lead to the govt rolling out their own cab hailing services kitted with all the accessories.

that is the plan
Re: Lagos To Enforce Regulations On Ride Hailing Companies From August 20 by Openbusiness: 9:18am On Aug 12, 2020
Coldie:

The system is feasible. Paying 10m every year, minust rent minust tax minus other expenses minus police problem, the system they Are agitating for would flop
THE SYSTEM IS NOT FEASIBLE because UBER or TAXIFY

DO NOT OWN THE CARS.
Have you driven your car on Uber or Taxify before? I have. It was hell. I pulled out straight before they turn car to coffin for me. I was better off selling my car at a loss and moving on than using it for Uber. Then they now want to introduce an evil policy that is totally destructive to the car owner. From Bariga to general hospital Ikeja, around 1am, I took Taxify, the final price 1K when he ended d trip, car with full a/c and comfort. But one time I was stranded in a commercial avenue Maryland bus stop around 1am too thereabouts, no bus again, I had to opt for kabukabu taxi, dat is the dilapidated type of yellow taxi. Las las na N1,500 I pay to Bariga. No a/c, seat torn and smelly with bedbugs. Yet it is the same Uber and Taxify this agbero government want to choke to death

3 Likes

Re: Lagos To Enforce Regulations On Ride Hailing Companies From August 20 by BigBashiru: 9:18am On Aug 12, 2020
Coldie:

They pay tax though, even Facebook and Google Nigeria pay tax, maybe the government thinks they are not paying enough.

Even if they pay tax the demands they Are asking for is too much, I read up like 5permits from different organization as part of the requirements, the worst of it they said all cars must be 2017 and above. I don't get it

Its that spiritual curse upon Nigeria that makes them to always be enacting the wrong policies - it also explains why Nigeria is bedevilled by so many problems....

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Enforce Regulations On Ride Hailing Companies From August 20 by Coldie(m): 9:20am On Aug 12, 2020
Openbusiness:

THE SYSTEM IS NOT FEASIBLE because UBER or TAXIFY

DO NOT OWN THE CARS.
Have you driven your car on Uber or Taxify before? I have. It was hell. I pulled out straight before they turn car to coffin for me. I was better off selling my car at a loss and moving on than using it for Uber. Then they now want to introduce an evil policy that is totally destructive to the car owner. From Bariga to general hospital Ikeja, around 1am, I took Taxify, the final price 1K when he ended d trip, car with full a/c and comfort. But one time I was stranded in a commercial avenue Maryland bus stop around 1am too thereabouts, no bus again, I had to opt for kabukabu taxi, dat is the dilapidated type of yellow taxi. Las las na N1,500 I pay to Bariga. No a/c, seat torn and smelly with bedbugs. Yet it is the same Uber and Taxify this agbero government want to choke to death
I meant to type not feasible
Re: Lagos To Enforce Regulations On Ride Hailing Companies From August 20 by uuzba(m): 9:23am On Aug 12, 2020
Coldie:

Na just very foolish law. They are trying to kill off the etransport system.

The recruitments are very stupid
The etrnansport was supposed to be operated under the rader.
The OWNER of the car should do the driving with confidence.
And he carries the passengers as if it is his friends he's carrying.
Then no VIO, or road safety can stop you, ask for papers or discover that it is business you are doing.

Instead, Nigerians went and gave their car to a house-boy looking driver.
The houseboy, then carries passengers who sit in the BACK SEAT.
This then makes him really look like a houseboy.
He then compounds the issue by holding the steering LIKE A HOUSEBOY, instead of like a bigboy.

Any VIO, or road safety that see the car approaching from a distance will know that:
1. This guy driving is a driver (houseboy)
2. That car is not his own.
3. He must be employed by somebody else.
4. He's carrying a passenger.
5. Let's stop him and collect money.
--
By the time you start trying to prove that you don't have money, VIO and co, take the matter up to Lagos state... as they've just done,
and kukuma FINE the whole company UBER and BOLT.
Your runs done spoil now.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Enforce Regulations On Ride Hailing Companies From August 20 by Coldie(m): 9:24am On Aug 12, 2020
BigBashiru:

Its that spiritual curse upon Nigeria that makes them to always be enacting the wrong policies - it also explains why Nigeria is bedevilled by so many problems....
I don't really know their problem but that is outright wickedness, Lagos State government is really over estimating it's economy.

That was how I read the other time that they put a new law in Lagos alone that all pos business must pay #600 weekly to the state government, despite the fact that there's no job people who are trying to survive they still want to frustrate them
Re: Lagos To Enforce Regulations On Ride Hailing Companies From August 20 by Luxurydriverng: 9:25am On Aug 12, 2020
Them bring sorrow tears and blood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBlU80LYJaA
Re: Lagos To Enforce Regulations On Ride Hailing Companies From August 20 by curvilicious: 9:26am On Aug 12, 2020
This is too bad now ehn
Drivers lo ma suffer e
Re: Lagos To Enforce Regulations On Ride Hailing Companies From August 20 by Slymonster(m): 9:27am On Aug 12, 2020
2017 cars upward. I can't stop laughing. I am just wondering how many nigerians ride such cars more less for a transport service where road and traffic are terrible. Talk more of raining season with flood everywhere.
I would not be surprise that a trip that cost 3k will now be 6k. Lagos you deserve the leaders you get.
Re: Lagos To Enforce Regulations On Ride Hailing Companies From August 20 by oba4ever: 9:29am On Aug 12, 2020
It will just drive transport cost to the roof compared to other areas like Abuja. Uber and bolt no send them because their driver partners are not full time professional drivers. This e hailing guys brought a new concept for people who drive to work to also do side business by picking people to and fro work and can also work on weekends. This applies in Lagos state which happens to be the biggest market in Nigeria but the e hailing apps can still operate fully in other states. This Regulations are harsh anyways
Re: Lagos To Enforce Regulations On Ride Hailing Companies From August 20 by femmy2010(m): 9:34am On Aug 12, 2020
RTSC:

This is ignorant.
The disposable income in London alone is bigger than Nigeria as a whole.

Isnt that why our licensing fee is greatly lowered?

N5,000,000 for those with 1000 drivers translate to N5,000 yearly as licensing fee for each Uber driver.
I do not think that is too much sir.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos To Enforce Regulations On Ride Hailing Companies From August 20 by Coldie(m): 9:39am On Aug 12, 2020
uuzba:

The etrnansport was supposed to be operated under the rader.
The OWNER of the car should do the driving with confidence.
And he carries the passengers as if it is his friends he's carrying.
Then no VIO, or road safety can stop you, ask for papers or discover that it is business you are doing.

Instead, Nigerians went and gave their car to a house-boy looking driver.
The houseboy, then carries passengers who sit in the BACK SEAT.
This then makes him really look like a houseboy.
He then compounds the issue by holding the steering LIKE A HOUSEBOY, instead of like a bigboy.

Any VIO, or road safety that see the car approaching from a distance will know that:
1. This guy driving is a driver (houseboy)
2. That car is not his own.
3. He must be employed by somebody else.
4. He's carrying a passenger.
5. Let's stop him and collect money.
--
By the time you start trying to prove that you don't have money, VIO and co, take the matter up to Lagos state... as they've just done,
and kukuma FINE the whole company UBER and BOLT.
Your runs done spoil now.
no be the houseboy be the issue, alot of people always over do anytime they are in the position to help u or give u money. U would be an uber driver to a lady and she wouls be acting very rude. That apart the government already knows these people exist
Re: Lagos To Enforce Regulations On Ride Hailing Companies From August 20 by Coldie(m): 9:43am On Aug 12, 2020
femmy2010:

Isnt that why our licensing fee is greatly lowered?

N5,000,000 for those with 1000 drivers translate to N5,000 yearly as licensing fee for each Uber driver.
I do not think that is too much sir.
Let the government collect it by theirselves from the uber driver after all they said they have the data base of all the drivers. The Uber drivers in Lagos might by up to 1000 but are all the Uber drivers that active? Some people just do the Uber business as a side hustle.

How do u tell these people to after asking for all those requirements tell them to still pay 5k. That apart for Uber it's 25m how do they pay that.

Uber Nigeria as a whole has 9000 drivers, so how do u share this 25m for only Lagos drivers?

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Enforce Regulations On Ride Hailing Companies From August 20 by Segunsimple: 9:50am On Aug 12, 2020
True talk! This is where we are missing it as a country. Every Thriving economic initiative is harped upon and truncated with misconstrued exertions.
sylve11:
What's the difference between Uber and a guy with a car that can easily gets called up whenever his services is needed to go drop or pick somebody up, and still gets paid?

Has Uber not been paying taxes to the government before?

Seems the government isn't tired of some vices going on in Lagos.

For every company driven away, over 10 good guys becomes bad guys who are ready to cause havoc and see it as a norm, just to ensure they survive.

Little things the government turns away from, are the little things that are causing massive problems all over the country.

Life in Nigeria is not easy. Those in power do not know this, because, they have enough to dwell on.
cool

Re: Lagos To Enforce Regulations On Ride Hailing Companies From August 20 by stanley000: 9:50am On Aug 12, 2020
telim:

From your post seems you are real. Sent you some token. The two initial alphabets of my names are Um mo ha
thanks alot i really appreciate you. I daw it and I couldn't control the joy that overwhelm me. May allah bless u in abundance. Amin
Re: Lagos To Enforce Regulations On Ride Hailing Companies From August 20 by BigBashiru: 9:53am On Aug 12, 2020
Openbusiness:
How many passengers have died using Uber and Taxify? But Danfos that kills passengers with their reckless driving and dead dilapidated moving coffins of a bus killing Lagosians every other week HAVE NOT been regulated. Life doesn't matter, na money matters ~ "Lagos State Agbero Government" grin

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Enforce Regulations On Ride Hailing Companies From August 20 by Larrydeko2987: 10:00am On Aug 12, 2020
bouquilee:
I think it's time for apc to pack their loads, it's getting out of hand already

should they pack to your house?
Re: Lagos To Enforce Regulations On Ride Hailing Companies From August 20 by Nobody: 10:05am On Aug 12, 2020
OralB:
This a survey.
Do you still enjoy OralB like before?
bought the tooth brush and the extra teeth withening, have used it for almost 6months and I see no diff jaree. The brush is too soft for a medium grade brush

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Winners Pastor's Car Hits 10-Year-Old Boy Celebrating Fayemi's Victory In Ekiti / Dead Traffic-Lights & Blocked Drainage In Abuja / Air Peace Tyre Deflates On Take-Off At Murtala Muhammed International Airport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.