Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,220 members, 7,818,758 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:37 AM

Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death (40627 Views)

Google Celebrates Sam Okwaraji's Posthumous Birthday With Doodle (Photos) / In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr / Meet The Mother Of Sam Okwaraji: "FG Has Abandoned" (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by naptu2: 1:50pm On Aug 12, 2020
naptu2:

I've already heard that fictional story of August 15th, 1970, Mobilaji Johnson and each Indian goal counting as 3 goals. I heard it a long time ago. It's not new to me.

The BBC had a programme in which listeners could ask any question and they would get the answer for you.

A Nigerian wrote into the programme c1994 to ask if the story was true and if Nigeria actually played India in a 99-1 match.

The BBC World Service got their reporter in India to interview soneone from the Indian FA and they said that no such match took place (that was the first time that they were hearing about it).

The BBC then got their reporter in Lagos to interview the then NFA spokesman and he confirmed that it's a myth.

There have been many similar myths, eg, the myth that the Civil War was stopped because of a football match.

The Indian FA official confirmed that football is played in India and he also talked about a time that India was temporarily banned from football (I think they qualified for the World Cup or some other tournament, but they refused to participate and FIFA banned them for a short while).
Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by ogbonnachrys: 1:59pm On Aug 12, 2020
Heard they used jazz

realestate99:

That match did not happen, it was just to spice up our childhood, I bet you, Nigeria u20 team will beat India senior national team, India is a cricket country they do not really fancy football like that, and by the way the last time India played an African opponent in a friendly match they lost 5-0 to Zambia.

https://m.timesofindia.com/sports/football/top-stories/Zambia-rout-India-5-0-in-international-friendly/articleshow/10924365.cms
Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by foreshore(m): 2:12pm On Aug 12, 2020
finnacle2020:
Samuel Sochukwuma Okwaraji (19 May 1964 – 12 August 1989) was a professional footballer who played internationally for Nigeria.

He was also a qualified lawyer who had a masters in international law from the Pontifical Lateran University of Rome.

He collapsed and died of congestive heart failure in the 77th minute of a World Cup qualification match against Angola at the Lagos National Stadium in Surulere, Lagos State on 12 August 1989.

He is also linked with the controversial match between Nigeria and India which was claimed that he scored the only goal against the Indian side 99-1 which leads to his death on the pitch.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Okwaraji

So sad, I was at the National stadium to watch the match that day as a 17 year old having escaped without the knowledge of my parents who would naturally not have allowed me. Just like yesterday!
Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by realestate99: 2:19pm On Aug 12, 2020
ogbonnachrys:
Heard they used jazz
nothing like that......na just hearsay.

1 Like

Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by Enyari: 2:28pm On Aug 12, 2020
Well, toast to his remains.
Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by lovesky1: 2:55pm On Aug 12, 2020
uhhmmmm sorry but indian never played us no 99-1 oga poster ok
finnacle2020:
Samuel Sochukwuma Okwaraji (19 May 1964 – 12 August 1989) was a professional footballer who played internationally for Nigeria.

He was also a qualified lawyer who had a masters in international law from the Pontifical Lateran University of Rome.

He collapsed and died of congestive heart failure in the 77th minute of a World Cup qualification match against Angola at the Lagos National Stadium in Surulere, Lagos State on 12 August 1989.

He is also linked with the controversial match between Nigeria and India which was claimed that he scored the only goal against the Indian side 99-1 which leads to his death on the pitch.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Okwaraji
Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by mamafunky(f): 3:49pm On Aug 12, 2020
Rest on legend
Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by Nobody: 3:59pm On Aug 12, 2020
naptu2:

1) Samuel Okwaraji, Stephen Keshi, Peter Rufai and Coach Yusuf Salami during a Seoul '88 Olympic qualifier at the Nnamdi Azikiwe Stadium in Enugu.
so it is not keeper rufai?
Dem Don scam me collect my sweet when I small
Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by ojoolawalegbeng: 4:00pm On Aug 12, 2020
Rest On Legend..
Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by okuta007: 5:11pm On Aug 12, 2020
GallantDuke:
RIP Sam Opkaraji.
I can't forget the story that he died while playing against India, a match they alleged the Indians won 99-1.

no Sir - I remember that game like yesterday

Okwaraji was playing against the Angolan National Team in Lagos - The Angolans were given us real tough time that day - Jesus Osvlin and Diaz Vera were tormenting our defense and we needed to win that game so that if we get a draw against Cameroun in Younde, then we will qualify from our group to play the knock out with Tunisia

Nigeria was leading when Okwaraji slumped - Trust me that game was a very difficult game - more difficult than the nations cup quarter final game between Nigeria and Senegal in AFCON 2000. Samson Siasia was the first to rush to him and I remember the late Ernest Okonkwo of FRCN running commentary on radio while we were watching TV live broadcast of the match - DO YOU GUYS KNOW THAT THE AMBULANCE THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO TAKE OKWARAJI TO THE HOSPITAL DID NOT START? THEY HAD TO DO Push and start while the young man was battling for his life

After the match - I remember RADIO NIGERIA news of 7 am saying the next day that Okwaraji died - THE WHOLE COUNTRY WAS THROWN INTO MOURNING - rumors started flying around that it was Friday Ekpo that killed him with Juju and all that nonsense -

Nigeria team spirit was very low and there was confusion everywhere as Coach Paul Hamilton was sacked after the lack lustre performance against the Palacas Negras of Angola and CLEMENCE WESTERHOF the Dutch Tactician was tapped to take over -

with OKWARAJI dead, the Super Eagles Coach Fired, and Nigeria playing a must win OR draw away game at Stade Omnisport against the African Nations Cup Champions - the Imdomptable Lions of Cameroun, Nigeria descended into a bleak phase in soccer development- wow just like yesterday, I can still remember where I watched that match and the moment Okwaraji fell
Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by Deborah98(f): 5:22pm On Aug 12, 2020
Rip legend, although I don't know him but I've heard much about him.
Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by YaksonFCA(m): 11:25pm On Aug 12, 2020
RIP. Condolences
Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by Iceyjayz: 8:17am On Aug 13, 2020
So bad
Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by GallantDuke(m): 10:09am On Aug 13, 2020
okuta007:

no Sir - I remember that game like yesterday

Okwaraji was playing against the Angolan National Team in Lagos - The Angolans were given us real tough time that day - Jesus Osvlin and Diaz Vera were tormenting our defense and we needed to win that game so that if we get a draw against Cameroun in Younde, then we will qualify from our group to play the knock out with Tunisia

Nigeria was leading when Okwaraji slumped - Trust me that game was a very difficult game - more difficult than the nations cup quarter final game between Nigeria and Senegal in AFCON 2000. Samson Siasia was the first to rush to him and I remember the late Ernest Okonkwo of FRCN running commentary on radio while we were watching TV live broadcast of the match - DO YOU GUYS KNOW THAT THE AMBULANCE THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO TAKE OKWARAJI TO THE HOSPITAL DID NOT START? THEY HAD TO DO Push and start while the young man was battling for his life

After the match - I remember RADIO NIGERIA news of 7 am saying the next day that Okwaraji died - THE WHOLE COUNTRY WAS THROWN INTO MOURNING - rumors started flying around that it was Friday Ekpo that killed him with Juju and all that nonsense -

Nigeria team spirit was very low and there was confusion everywhere as Coach Paul Hamilton was sacked after the lack lustre performance against the Palacas Negras of Angola and CLEMENCE WESTERHOF the Dutch Tactician was tapped to take over -

with OKWARAJI dead, the Super Eagles Coach Fired, and Nigeria playing a must win OR draw away game at Stade Omnisport against the African Nations Cup Champions - the Imdomptable Lions of Cameroun, Nigeria descended into a bleak phase in soccer development- wow just like yesterday, I can still remember where I watched that match and the moment Okwaraji fell
I know but we were made to believe that myth that he died playing against India.
Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by stormborn28(m): 10:48am On Aug 13, 2020
chuksbaby:
Indomie generation of football lovers will not know this.....

Back to hustling jare..
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by stormborn28(m): 10:52am On Aug 13, 2020
Deborah98:
Rip legend, although I don't know him but I've heard much about him.
kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by okuta007: 11:46pm On Aug 13, 2020
GallantDuke:

I know but we were made to believe that myth that he died playing against India.

WHY WOULD U BELIEVE THAT even in the age of google?
Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by GallantDuke(m): 10:31am On Aug 14, 2020
okuta007:

WHY WOULD U BELIEVE THAT even in the age of google?
I didn't believe it.
Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by okuta007: 11:52am On Aug 14, 2020
GallantDuke:

I didn't believe it.

na you sabi if you no be leave
Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by topshotnista(m): 4:13pm On Aug 22, 2020
holywind:
12, august 1989

I actually meant 99:1

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Manchester United Reacts To Arsene Wenger Leaving Arsenal / Has Ndidi Outperformed Kante At Leicester City? - BBC Sport / Anthony Joshua's ₦70m Range Rover SVAutobiography Still Missing 11 Months After

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.