Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,572 members, 7,812,846 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:36 PM

Diasporan Here Trying To Get More Connected With My Roots - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Diasporan Here Trying To Get More Connected With My Roots (312 Views)

African-americans Trace Roots To Igbo Land / 50 Africa -americans Arrive Benin To Trace Their Roots …to Get Benin Names / The Chiefdom Of Ogiso And Kingdom Of Bini Both Have Roots In Ile-ife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Diasporan Here Trying To Get More Connected With My Roots by NnaemekaSankara(m): 5:45pm On Aug 12, 2020
Hello,

I’m a diasporan (US to be exact) trying to learn more about Nigerian culture, politics, etc. From what I understand, Nairaland is one of the most popular social forums in Nigeria so I figured that this is the best place to do it.

In terms of politics, I lean pretty hard to the far-left. However, I’m still trying to learn more about Nigerian politics as to figure out how my political beliefs can be interpreted to match the problems in Nigeria.

I plan on visiting Nigeria for a year once all of this COVID stuff clears up as well; hopefully I’ll be able to find a job down there too. I want to learn more about my ancestral homeland; I also want to be a part of the solution in Nigeria, rather than complain about the problems. I believe that Nigeria has a lot of untapped potential that can only be utilized if we stick together.
Re: Diasporan Here Trying To Get More Connected With My Roots by majamajic(m): 5:46pm On Aug 12, 2020
Be coming , no wahala

2 Likes

Re: Diasporan Here Trying To Get More Connected With My Roots by dangermouse(m): 5:57pm On Aug 12, 2020
Nigeria is a country blessed by God almighty in all spheres excluding leadership. I believe She will get it right one day. About relocating down here, i believe u have been well informed on it. Navigating the waters here is not same over there, but then Nigeria is one of the best country u can be if u know ur ways. U are very much welcomed home in advance.
Re: Diasporan Here Trying To Get More Connected With My Roots by NnaemekaSankara(m): 6:12pm On Aug 12, 2020
majamajic:
Be coming , no wahala

Imela!
Re: Diasporan Here Trying To Get More Connected With My Roots by NnaemekaSankara(m): 6:14pm On Aug 12, 2020
dangermouse:
Nigeria is a country blessed by God almighty in all spheres excluding leadership. I believe She will get it right one day. About relocating down here, i believe u have been well informed on it. Navigating the waters here is not same over there, but then Nigeria is one of the best country u can be if u know ur ways. U are very much welcomed home in advance.

I don’t believe that it is possible for Nigeria to progress in its current form. It isn’t in the interests of Nigeria’s leaders to fix things. Why would they? They make billions looting our country. There needs to be a revolution.
Re: Diasporan Here Trying To Get More Connected With My Roots by majamajic(m): 6:28pm On Aug 12, 2020
NnaemekaSankara:

Imela!

If u want stay in Nigeria and enjoy it , work in Nigeria , think about Lagos island, Abuja , Uyo and Enugu

1 Like

Re: Diasporan Here Trying To Get More Connected With My Roots by dangermouse(m): 6:38pm On Aug 12, 2020
NnaemekaSankara:

I don’t believe that it is possible for Nigeria to progress in its current form. It isn’t in the interests of Nigeria’s leaders to fix things. Why would they? They make billions looting our country. There needs to be a revolution.
Same leaders wount allow it. But the real "revolution" the country needs now is voting out the old politcians, reducing the salaries and entitlements etc, and generally making governance less attractive. This will deter the looters and give chance for people who genuinely wants to lead the nation. It can be achieved.
Re: Diasporan Here Trying To Get More Connected With My Roots by meobizy(f): 7:45pm On Aug 12, 2020
When you’re done, you’ll return to 4chan once again. It’s really hard to hide motives here.
Re: Diasporan Here Trying To Get More Connected With My Roots by NnaemekaSankara(m): 7:52pm On Aug 12, 2020
dangermouse:
Same leaders wount allow it. But the real "revolution" the country needs now is voting out the old politcians, reducing the salaries and entitlements etc, and generally making governance less attractive. This will deter the looters and give chance for people who genuinely wants to lead the nation. It can be achieved.

Of course they won’t allow it because they have a vested interest in propping up the system.
Re: Diasporan Here Trying To Get More Connected With My Roots by NnaemekaSankara(m): 8:05pm On Aug 12, 2020
majamajic:

If u want stay in Nigeria and enjoy it , work in Nigeria , think about Lagos island, Abuja , Uyo and Enugu

Okay. My family is from Umuahia, but I’m pretty sure I have family in Lagos as well.
Re: Diasporan Here Trying To Get More Connected With My Roots by NnaemekaSankara(m): 10:31pm On Aug 12, 2020
meobizy:
When you’re done, you’ll return to 4chan once again. It’s really hard to hide motives here.

?

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Corruption Started From The Very Beginning With Our Founding Fathers. / Alaafin Visits Oluwo, Says First 20 Years Of My Reign Rough / Gérewol Festival In Chad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.