Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,414 members, 7,781,195 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 10:28 AM

For Beginners Learning To Code - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / For Beginners Learning To Code (1146 Views)

Lack of funds can really be demotivating when self learning to code / Learning To Code Is Hard!!!! / Teach Yourself To Code (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

For Beginners Learning To Code by Olalekank(m): 2:09pm On Aug 15, 2020
It's no news that the tech industry has been (and still) growing really fast and a lot of people have been learning how to code. Here, I want to share some of the things I feel are important to people learning to code. Some are from personal experience, and the others just a personal opinion.

1. Stick with ONE thing: This is a problem many people starting out have - jumping from language to language to language as a result of hype, job posting or anything. It's even worse considering that there are so many languages and frameworks out there.
If you want to be a Frontend or Backend Engineer, just stick with it very rigidly. Mobile engineer? Stick with that too. After gaining some knowledge in HtML, CSS and JavaScript, you might be wondering what frontend framework to choose out of the multiple frameworks available. Do your research, pick the one that suits you and stick with it until you are able to land a job in that role. BE A MASTER AT ONE THING. DON'T BE A JACK OF ALL TRADES.

2. Avoid tutorial hell: This is a really common problem too. A lot of people want to learn how to code, they start out by watching tutorials, building project alongside the tutorials but have no personal project (s) to show for it. My recommendation is to avoid tutorials as much as you can, except for maybe the introductory parts. Instead, what you should do is to find a project you can work on.
Imagine you decide to build the next Nairaland. Check online for the tools needed to build it, research the steps needed and start building piece by piece. Before long, you would have a full project after lots and lots of stackoverflow wink. You learn more by working on personal projects rather than just focusing and watching all the tutorials on the web.

3. Put yourself out there: If you do not have enough experience on your belt, the way to "prove" yourself especially when applying for jobs is by showing the hiring manager things you have done in the past. You should sign up on Github and start pushing your projects from day one. This is geared at building a portfolio that would be considered when you apply for your first role. Write code as much as you can and try to push code everyday.

4. Get a mentor: Having a mentor who can guide you through your tech journey and ensure that you are on the right part is good. Although, I have come to realise something. So many people would expect a mentor to teach them how to code which is wrong. Get a mentor, ask for advice, get suggestions of project ideas, a mentor would help a long way.
However, it's also fine not a mentor. You can still get by.

5. Imposter syndrome is normal: This is very predominant. So many people, even people with years of experience feel like they are not good enough. It's completely normal and the truth is we cannot know everything. Do not compare yourself with people and use that to judge your skill level. You cannot know everything, nobody does.
Just keep being you, keep writing code and one day, you would get there.

Good luck!

If you have any other thing to add, be sure to post it

cc: cixak95211

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: For Beginners Learning To Code by Nobody: 2:55pm On Aug 15, 2020
Ive broken all these rules. Avoid tutorials, like what the fck?
Re: For Beginners Learning To Code by Olalekank(m): 3:12pm On Aug 15, 2020
SegFault:
Ive broken all these rules. Avoid tutorials, like what the fck?
“Avoid Tutorial Hell”

1 Like

Re: For Beginners Learning To Code by cixak95211: 3:30pm On Aug 15, 2020
In addition, while starting out, don't focus on the money, but the passion.. Trust me, the money will take a very long time to come. And it's only the passion that will keep you going when it starts to feel like you made the wrong choice and should have joined the other boys in doing . . . [insert social vice here]

Also don;t go rivaling an existing fortune 500 company. Watching 2 hours of Javascript on youtube and trying to be the next FB, TikTok, next Amazon of Nigeria. Hell no, be calm and stay focused, and hopefully one day, you'll build a rocket.

5 Likes

Re: For Beginners Learning To Code by Nobody: 3:52pm On Aug 15, 2020
Olalekank:

“Avoid Tutorial Hell”
Oh okay o.
Re: For Beginners Learning To Code by Nobody: 3:53pm On Aug 15, 2020
cixak95211:
In addition, while starting out, don't focus on the money, but the passion.. Trust me, the money will take a very long time to come. And it's only the passion that will keep you going when it starts to feel like you made the wrong choice and should have joined the other boys in doing . . . [insert social vice here]

Also don;t go rivaling an existing fortune 500 company. Watching 2 hours of Javascript on youtube and trying to be the next FB, TikTok, next Amazon of Nigeria. Hell no, be calm and stay focused, and hopefully one day, you'll build a rocket.
I swear took me long to realise this back then. I wanted to build a large game then I realised that I hadn't learned the basics grin; Dgrin

1 Like

Re: For Beginners Learning To Code by stanliwise(m): 5:50pm On Aug 15, 2020
Olalekank:
It's no news that the tech industry has been (and still) growing really fast and a lot of people have been learning how to code. Here, I want to share some of the things I feel are important to people learning to code. Some are from personal experience, and the others just a personal opinion.

1. Stick with ONE thing: This is a problem many people starting out have - jumping from language to language to language as a result of hype, job posting or anything. It's even worse considering that there are so many languages and frameworks out there.
If you want to be a Frontend or Backend Engineer, just stick with it very rigidly. Mobile engineer? Stick with that too. After gaining some knowledge in HtML, CSS and JavaScript, you might be wondering what frontend framework to choose out of the multiple frameworks available. Do your research, pick the one that suits you and stick with it until you are able to land a job in that role. BE A MASTER AT ONE THING. DON'T BE A JACK OF ALL TRADES.

2. Avoid tutorial hell: This is a really common problem too. A lot of people want to learn how to code, they start out by watching tutorials, building project alongside the tutorials but have no personal project (s) to show for it. My recommendation is to avoid tutorials as much as you can, except for maybe the introductory parts. Instead, what you should do is to find a project you can work on.
Imagine you decide to build the next Nairaland. Check online for the tools needed to build it, research the steps needed and start building piece by piece. Before long, you would have a full project after lots and lots of stackoverflow wink. You learn more by working on personal projects rather than just focusing and watching all the tutorials on the web.

3. Put yourself out there: If you do not have enough experience on your belt, the way to "prove" yourself especially when applying for jobs is by showing the hiring manager things you have done in the past. You should sign up on Github and start pushing your projects from day one. This is geared at building a portfolio that would be considered when you apply for your first role. Write code as much as you can and try to push code everyday.

4. Get a mentor: Having a mentor who can guide you through your tech journey and ensure that you are on the right part is good. Although, I have come to realise something. So many people would expect a mentor to teach them how to code which is wrong. Get a mentor, ask for advice, get suggestions of project ideas, a mentor would help a long way.
However, it's also fine not a mentor. You can still get by.

5. Imposter syndrome is normal: This is very predominant. So many people, even people with years of experience feel like they are not good enough. It's completely normal and the truth is we cannot know everything. Do not compare yourself with people and use that to judge your skill level. You cannot know everything, nobody does.
Just keep being you, keep writing code and one day, you would get there.

Good luck!

If you have any other thing to add, be sure to post it

cc: cixak95211
I have pass through this experiences on real time and I can sure say you have gotten all the point on target. But let me point out something that is a paradox.
While tutorial don’t help you develop your raw skills nevertheless tutorial are places to see how people put things together. It can serve as a source of insight on little tricks and cleaner methods to get things done. As good as it sounds it has it pitfalls, it locks your mind with some pattern of behavior and many times lure you out of creativity especially when tutor say “This is how you should do things”.
So be watchful

6 Likes

Re: For Beginners Learning To Code by Olalekank(m): 7:22pm On Aug 15, 2020
stanliwise:

I have pass through this experiences on real time and I can sure say you have gotten all the point on target. But let me point out something that is a paradox.
While tutorial don’t help you develop your raw skills nevertheless tutorial are places to see how people put things together. It can serve as a source of insight on little tricks and cleaner methods to get things done. As good as it sounds it has it pitfalls, it locks your mind with some pattern of behavior and many times lure you out of creativity especially when tutor say “This is how you should do things”.
So be watchful
Exactly

They can be good sometimes but it creates a false sense of learning
Re: For Beginners Learning To Code by EmdRizy(m): 7:27am On Aug 16, 2020
This is really insightful,,am new at coding n dis will sure help me alot

1 Like

Re: For Beginners Learning To Code by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:46am On Aug 16, 2020
Olalekank you are one of the best posters here. Precise and concise. Exactly the same steps I took in february and while I am not where I want to be, I am proud of what I have been able to accomplish.

2 Likes

Re: For Beginners Learning To Code by Karleb(m): 12:14pm On Aug 16, 2020
Don't feel bad about Googling the simple things.

Developers earning fat salaries also Google things and that include those in Facebook, Google and co. grin

3 Likes

Re: For Beginners Learning To Code by lordally(m): 11:50pm On Sep 05, 2020
cixak95211:

Wow thanks so much for this!!!
Please I need a Favour from you??
CAN YOU MENTOR ME PLEASE
I would have gone far in Software Engineering/Development if I had a mentor
Re: For Beginners Learning To Code by Etinosa1234: 12:23am On Sep 06, 2020
lordally:

CAN YOU MENTOR ME PLEASE
I am also learning bro and I want to say no one will mentor you
Just stick with ur guts and google the little problems u have
Re: For Beginners Learning To Code by lordally(m): 12:35am On Sep 06, 2020
Etinosa1234:

I am also learning bro and I want to say no one will mentor you
Just stick with ur guts and google the little problems u have

Yeah I'm doing just that bro!! Secondly I don't need a mentor to tutor me I'm already undergoing a paid training for that...all I need is someone to Direct me when I'm lost or feel like I didn't make the right choice that's all
Re: For Beginners Learning To Code by Etinosa1234: 12:41am On Sep 06, 2020
lordally:

Yeah I'm doing just that bro!! Secondly I don't need a mentor to tutor me I'm already undergoing a paid training for that...all I need is someone to Direct me when I'm lost or feel like I didn't make the right choice that's all

Well... I wish u good luck... I tried also then I found out that na only me my mama born
Everyone was busy and all sorts.. since then I’ve advised myself to sort my own tracks with just vibes,insha allah and the grace of God

Besides what paid training are u doing
Re: For Beginners Learning To Code by lordally(m): 12:44am On Sep 06, 2020
Etinosa1234:

Well... I wish u good luck... I tried also then I found out that na only me my mama born
Everyone was busy and all sorts.. since then I’ve advised myself to sort my own tracks with just vibes,insha allah and the grace of God

God go help us.... I'm currently being trained by STUTERN you can Google them up
Re: For Beginners Learning To Code by lordally(m): 12:45am On Sep 06, 2020
Etinosa1234:

Let's connect bro!! Make we run minds men...I'll send you a mail
Re: For Beginners Learning To Code by cixak95211: 2:50am On Sep 06, 2020
lordally:

CAN YOU MENTOR ME PLEASE

Honestly, I cannot promise you that it's going to be very consistent, due to time and all, which you might already know ..
But i assure, if you do get stuck, or trying hard to figure out something, or wanna level up, you can leave a message
and i'll be there as soon as its possible for me to do so.
cheers

1 Like

Re: For Beginners Learning To Code by lordally(m): 10:48am On Sep 06, 2020
cixak95211:

Honestly, I cannot promise you that it's going to be very consistent, due to time and all, which you might already know ..
But i assure, if you do get stuck, or trying hard to figure out something, or wanna level up, you can leave a message
and i'll be there as soon as its possible for me to do so.
cheers

Thanks so much for this!!! This means so much to my Soul!!! .....I know how busy you should be cos even our tutors have serious full time jobs...I appreciate this a whole lot!!! God bless!!! .....I'm on a tick tock to get a job of my own by early next year because I'm currently squatting with an uncle here in Lagos so I wanna learn the basics of JS enough to land me an entry level job by early next year..... Most of my dudes wey finish service with me last year dey laugh me saying I'm crazy not wanting to look for a job and instead I wanna go for another training yeah they're working earning 50K some 70K I mean those wey see o....well I'm just here laughing cos I know that this same boy they think is mad is positioning himself for a sucured future through TECH!!!

I APPRECIATE THIS SO MUCH!!!

(1) (Reply)

Flutterwave Test Card Web Page Not Opening / Buying Courses On Udemy / Aptech- Maryland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.