Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,451 members, 7,819,664 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:11 PM

Learning To Code Is Hard!!!! - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Learning To Code Is Hard!!!! (7795 Views)

Lack of funds can really be demotivating when self learning to code / Learning To Code Is Fun � When You Have The Right Tools To Work With. / I’m One With The Code, The Code Is With Me. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Learning To Code Is Hard!!!! by Ayinke93(f): 3:01am On Dec 09, 2021
I've been thinking about the best topic to write about as my first foray into writing as a tech newbie for a long now, and a lot of glamorous topics spring to mind every time. For example, how my life is ten times better now that I'm doing what I enjoy, the simplest method to code...blah blah blah.

What's more, I'll probably be one of the first junior devs to express how I truly feel about doing this, putting aside any glamourous topic that comes to mind. It is EXTREMELY DIFFICULT TO LEARN TO CODE!! This will put your sanity to the test. Every day, you'll doubt yourself at least ten times. I can't tell you how many times I wept myself to sleep because I couldn't find out what was causing my entire system to crash. OMG!!! Your entire being will be put to the test.

Should I talk about how I don't have a life? I've erased all of my social media accounts because I require all of the world's attention. My only sources of sustenance are energy drinks and biscuits, and I haven't seen my family in 6 months. I'm sure I look pale already. I can't recall the last time I went for a walk in the sunshine. Will I, however, change it for anything? NO! At least for the time being.

Okay, now let me discuss the aspect of this profession that has made me a masochist. It’s definitely The obvious light at the end of the tunnel. One thing is undeniably true. The issue isn't one of programming. It's adulthood it’s difficult to make a good living, and I'm deciding which end of the spectrum I want to be on. I had to leave my bank position because there was no way for me to advance there. I could envision myself as a 40-year-old woman with over 20 years of experience who relies on annual loans to augment her income in order to cover the necessities. I could see myself stressed out by the Lagos traffic, and I could see the sadness in my eyes as I remembered how that young, ambitious girl I used to have perished because I chose to squander my life doing this monotonous, boring low income job. Instead of that life, I'll choose the difficult things over and over again.

If you're a young person who is struggling and can't see a way out, I believe it's time to pick up your laptop, download VScode, and make YouTube your best friend. There is no other career in our nation where I can bet that after two years of hard effort, and I mean serious hard work because studying is NOT FUN AT ALL!!, you will break even. Yes, even if you are unhappy at work, it is past time for you to resign and make a serious decision that your future self will thank you for. Unless you want to be the 40-year-old depressed woman I described earlier.
I sincerely wish there was a simpler way. I wish I didn't have to spend more than 12 hours a day on my laptop, but wonderful things come to those who wait and put in the work.

CHOSE THE HARD THINGS TODAY!!!!!
YOUR FUTURE SELF WILL THANK YOU.

42 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Learning To Code Is Hard!!!! by LordFriar: 3:30am On Dec 09, 2021
Thank you for this.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Learning To Code Is Hard!!!! by deept(m): 4:24am On Dec 09, 2021
@ayinke93,

I can relate with your post, the biscuit and energy drink part made me laugh.

A tip I got from someone is don't spend too Mytchett time at a go looking at your screen, take a break after say 1.5hrs and do something physical for maybe 30 minutes or has helped me a bit. If nothing is entering don't force it, it will only lead to headache. Can't count the number of times I have doubted myself but will try not to quit.

The journey is long and hard but keep focused on your goals.

11 Likes

Re: Learning To Code Is Hard!!!! by Jidemoo: 4:42am On Dec 09, 2021
It's hard to an extent but fun when you develop much interest in it.

Nothing good comes easy

On a norm....Easy come...Easy Go

6 Likes

Re: Learning To Code Is Hard!!!! by ospreywin(m): 4:57am On Dec 09, 2021
Seriously
Re: Learning To Code Is Hard!!!! by qtguru(m): 7:01am On Dec 09, 2021
constant reading and taking breaks helps alot, there is this notion that anyone can learn tech in days which is false, don't let people decieve you there are times, we deal with bugs at work for months.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Learning To Code Is Hard!!!! by etoluw: 7:30am On Dec 09, 2021
If you can find someone to teach you properly, it is not as difficult as you think it is

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Learning To Code Is Hard!!!! by deept(m): 7:30am On Dec 09, 2021
What programming language are you learning?
Re: Learning To Code Is Hard!!!! by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:13am On Dec 09, 2021
I get the six months feeling. When I was learning to code I was doing 10 hours everyday for six months. I didn't used to go out at all. Now I work as a professional programmer. It's still not easy. I work 8 to 10 hours everyday. After that I need to study for my certification exams and then do some data structures and algorithms. Leetcode, hackkerank and algoexpert. I still code at least 14 hours a day inclusive of Saturdays and Sundays. if you are going into this profession you need to take it as a way of life.

41 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Learning To Code Is Hard!!!! by chim14(m): 8:36am On Dec 09, 2021
Learning is one side, programming for survival is a whole other story. You can imagine when your food, rent depends on you finishing a project for a client.

Programming is a headache career cuz I have been in it for some years now daily bread. Bugs, debugging, cracking your head to figure a way around sumtin are the main headaches of programming.

In terms of earning, I bet you, some non programmers like youtubers, instagramers, tiktokers, bloggers earn more than programmers.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Learning To Code Is Hard!!!! by bet9ja(m): 8:47am On Dec 09, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
I get the six months feeling. When I was learning to code I was doing 10 hours everyday for six months. I didn't used to go out at all. Now I work as a professional programmer. It's still not easy. I work 8 to 10 hours everyday. After that I need to study for my certification exams and then do some data structures and algorithms. Leetcode, hackkerank and algoexpert. I still code at least 14 hours a day inclusive of Saturdays and Sundays. if you are going into this profession you need to take it as a way of life.

I guess you are not married.
Re: Learning To Code Is Hard!!!! by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:50am On Dec 09, 2021
bet9ja:

I guess you are not married.
At all and I won't till I leave this shithole zoo of a country grin. It's not easy learning to code with family obligations honestly especially when married with kids. It requires 5 times more effort than a single person.

3 Likes

Re: Learning To Code Is Hard!!!! by islamics(m): 8:55am On Dec 09, 2021
True talk. Not to talk of the depression when nothing is forthcoming especially with regards to landing a role. I feel the depression part is not really been talked about alot.

tensazangetsu20:

At all and I won't till I leave this shithole zoo of a country grin. It's not easy learning to code with family obligations honestly especially when married with kids. It requires 5 times more effort than a single person.
Was about to give him this same response on your behalf cos I don too reason your parole. grin grin

1 Like

Re: Learning To Code Is Hard!!!! by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:01am On Dec 09, 2021
islamics:
True talk. Not to talk of the depression when nothing is forthcoming especially with regards to landing a role. I feel the depression part is not really been talked about alot.

Was about to give him this same response on your behalf cos I don too reason your parole. grin grin
With landing a role honestly I wasn't depressed. It still boils down to responsibility. If yoh are single and you don't have anyone you are taking care of it's cool. It's gonna happen. Highest six months so long as you are applying to jobs and getting better at interviews.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Learning To Code Is Hard!!!! by Ayinke93(f): 9:12am On Dec 09, 2021
deept:
@ayinke93,

I can relate with your post, the biscuit and energy drink part made me laugh.

A tip I got from someone is don't spend too Mytchett time at a go looking at your screen, take a break after say 1.5hrs and do something physical for maybe 30 minutes or has helped me a bit. If nothing is entering don't force it, it will only lead to headache. Can't count the number of times I have doubted myself but will try not to quit.

The journey is long and hard but keep focused on your goals.

Wish I could take all the breaks in the world, but I’m currently interning in two different places, front end dev at the first, Springboot and sql and the other one. And they both come with serious responsibilities. There’s no sugarcoating it really, it’s hard and the funny thing is, it doesn’t even get easier eventually. One just needs to get used to it.

1 Like

Re: Learning To Code Is Hard!!!! by Ayinke93(f): 9:14am On Dec 09, 2021
etoluw:
If you can find someone to teach you properly, it is not as difficult as you think it is

Well, I’m already into it and I think I’m lucky to have solid mentor ship around me, but the fact remains that, it’s not an easy profession.

4 Likes

Re: Learning To Code Is Hard!!!! by Ayinke93(f): 9:16am On Dec 09, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

This is plain facts. Even senior devs still spend crazy amount of time in front of their computers. Remove the very good pay, programming is serious manual labor.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Learning To Code Is Hard!!!! by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:19am On Dec 09, 2021
Ayinke93:

This is plain facts. Even senior devs still spend crazy amount of time in front of their computers. Remove the very good pay, programming is serious manual labor.
True my boss codes like 20 hours everyday. He absolutely never sleeps cause he's around to answer questions whenever I ask them. To think he's been coding for close to 9 years now and still codes that amount of hours daily scares me so much.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Learning To Code Is Hard!!!! by Ayinke93(f): 9:26am On Dec 09, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

True my boss codes like 20 hours everyday. He absolutely never sleeps cause he's around to answer questions whenever I ask them. To think he's been coding for close to 9 years now and still codes that amount of hours daily scares me so much.
Crazy! I think eventually you just get used to it. I don’t also mind getting used to it because it’s the only thing that can make me afford the the kind of life I want to live. Cheers to coding 15+ hours a day !! grin

9 Likes

Re: Learning To Code Is Hard!!!! by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:28am On Dec 09, 2021
Ayinke93:

Crazy! I think eventually you just get used to it. I don’t also mind getting used to it because it’s the only thing that can make me afford the the kind of life I want to live. Cheers to coding 15+ hours a day !! grin

True Sha with regards to Nigeria only coding can bring money. Doctors work longer hours yet absolutely nothing to show for it. Many live on debt.

6 Likes

Re: Learning To Code Is Hard!!!! by invinzible1: 9:46am On Dec 09, 2021
Ayinke93:

Mental labor

4 Likes

Re: Learning To Code Is Hard!!!! by Springboot: 9:52am On Dec 09, 2021
Ayinke93:

Wish I could take all the breaks in the world, but I’m currently interning in two different places, front end dev at the first, Springboot and sql and the other one. And they both come with serious responsibilities. There’s no sugarcoating it really, it’s hard and the funny thing is, it doesn’t even get easier eventually. One just needs to get used to it.

Springboot is very easy, you only need patience, if you want to learn Springboot without getting discouraged, don't start with the basics, jump right into it with spring.io, when you get things running, you can return to learn how things work under the hood, don't stress yourself trying to understand everything, just ask direct questions on what you don't understand.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Learning To Code Is Hard!!!! by Ayinke93(f): 10:08am On Dec 09, 2021
Springboot:

Springboot is very easy, you only need patience, if you want to learn Springboot without getting discouraged, don't start with the basics, jump right into it with spring.io, when you get things running, you can return to learn how things work under the hood, don't stress yourself trying to understand everything, just ask direct questions on what you don't understand.
Thank you. I’ll try this

1 Like

Re: Learning To Code Is Hard!!!! by Lorex6: 11:23am On Dec 09, 2021
And I thought I was the only one being frustrated... It's honestly not easy plus buying fuel/data cos no light.

2 Likes

Re: Learning To Code Is Hard!!!! by Nobody: 11:53am On Dec 09, 2021
My major problem is constant light. I hardly see 2 hours light daily. Some days nothing. I can't wait to save up and pack out of this God forsaken place I live.

2 Likes

Re: Learning To Code Is Hard!!!! by peterincredible: 12:11pm On Dec 09, 2021
Honestly learning to code is hard but I won't advice someone to spend a lot off time each day learning because in a short time you might get burned out of doing it and even question if you are progressing but I will say persistence is the key even if it is just 2 hours a day is not bad at all for learning with time you will progress, and again if you get a job as a programmer you will code for long hours where I was working before by 8 am I get to the office I will start coding from there I will code till 5 pm and after that I will still study from 8 pm till 11pm or 12 am that is how brutal it is but when starting pls take it easy on yourself start with 2 hours then build up from their and take breaks when necessary as for me my FM radio is my best friend to keep me not feeling lonely God bless all programmers

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Learning To Code Is Hard!!!! by qtguru(m): 2:39pm On Dec 09, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Lovely

3 Likes

Re: Learning To Code Is Hard!!!! by ATEAMS: 2:44pm On Dec 09, 2021
Na small small till u finally Madd

5 Likes

Re: Learning To Code Is Hard!!!! by Carmal90(m): 3:44pm On Dec 09, 2021
Super hard..
Atimes, I feel like crying

1 Like

Re: Learning To Code Is Hard!!!! by Joelobioha(m): 4:29pm On Dec 09, 2021
Learning to code is one.the passion and enthusiasm is another...op I off cap for u oo its not an easy something...

6 Likes

Re: Learning To Code Is Hard!!!! by LikeAking: 7:22pm On Dec 09, 2021
OK!

The industry is getting harder and harder for newbies to learn, its part of the evolution.

Take react for eg. I call it a busybody frame work. If a newbe attempts learning via react na OYO.

I no know who send react them message.

Lots of busy body things.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Embed And Play Youtube Video In Android Webview / Login Code In Vb6.0 / Share Your Road map To Becoming A Web Developer.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.