Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,460 members, 7,864,924 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 09:34 AM

The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD (17240 Views)

Chase Out Any Igbo That Fails To Vote Peter Obi From Igboland - Pastor / Return Of Some Igbos That Migrated To Idu/igodomigodo And Idah Before 800ad. / Nnia Nwodo: Any Igbo That Touches A Northerner Should Kill Me First (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by Etinosa1234: 9:26pm On Aug 22, 2020
Bkayyy:

Bini people and lies sha.
It is quite interesting that Gov. Godwin Obaseki's great great great grandfather came from "Anioma" that was coined and created by Chief Dennis Osadebay in 1951.
You people lie alot, very soon you people will bring out one prince's name and say that he was the one that migrated from Bini and created Anioma since you people are always looking for your princes

Obaseki forefathers from anioma...

I give up on nairaland

1 Like

Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by Etinosa1234: 9:27pm On Aug 22, 2020
TAO11:
I find it quite gladdening that you’re descending even further and further; and becoming more repetitive over the same point I have addressed over and over again. Lol.

But in any case refer HERE among sever other comments addressing your repetitions.

So its no more Ahmed Baba...its now Farouk Martin...

Very soon we'll get to Hellraiser77

3 Likes

Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by TAO11(f): 9:27pm On Aug 22, 2020
Etinosa1234:

So its no more Ahmed Baba...its now Farouk Martin...

Very soon we'll get to Hellraiser77

Etinosa1234:
Still beating around the bush

Can't u just show me the reference in Crowther book
Thank you for finally conceding that you’ve been incapacitated by my clear replies to your repetitions. cheesy

Time for fun now! Yaaay! grin

cc: LegendHero, MinorityOpinion, BabaRamota1980

29 Likes

Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by Bkayyy: 9:32pm On Aug 22, 2020
Etinosa1234:

Obaseki forefathers from anioma...

I give up on nairaland
It's like you don't concur with what Areafada who happens to be your fellow Bini man said about Obaseki's ancestry
Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by Etinosa1234: 9:46pm On Aug 22, 2020
TAO11:

Thanking you for finally conceding that you are incapacitated by my clear reply to your repetition. cheesy

Time for fun now! Yaaay! grin

cc: LegendHero, MinorityOpinion, BabaRamota1980

Wow...in one of ur quotes...U said Ahmed Baba remove any false claim that the word Yoruba was Hausa...
Then to prove that Yoruba was an indigenous word, U turned to Crowther's work that only happened to correct a pronouciation....Quite funny don't u think grin
Now...I have asked u to provide me with reference to any historian on how the word Oyo is King was given to Yoruba and corrupted to its present state..then u turned to a Farouk Martin(who I can't find any info abt... only LinkedIn profile(Abi Farouk dey find job grin) as an authority
Its quite funny how u dropped a Ahmed Baba who history remembers as the first person to incorporate the word Yarba in to life for a completely unknown and recent Farouk Martin...

That's good..love ur logic..

If u were sure ...U would give straight answer not speeches and essay but issorite grin

2 Likes

Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by Etinosa1234: 9:57pm On Aug 22, 2020
Also ... Ri means to see

If Farouk Martin was true... What can he say abt two words interchanging meanings... Beautiful... Can only be found in Yoruba language

So Oyo r'oba as at something years ago happen to mean Oyo is King but as at now it means Oyo saw King

Can somebody give TAO11 a round of applause for this brilliant discovery

3 Likes

Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by Christistruth00: 10:03pm On Aug 22, 2020
TAO11:
For the word “Ile-Ibinu”, there are several accounts or explanations on that. The earliest known written account says “Ubinu” is the name of Eweka’s slave.

So, your “we all know” is not really what you think. You only proved that you do not really know what you think you know.

Furthermore, what does “then the rest” mean here?? You have to be explicit. You can’t on one hand seek explanation for how “Oyo r’Oba” became “Yoruba”; and yet on the other hand be unwilling to explain how “Ile-Ubinu” became “Ibini”. You can’t afford to be inconsistent, or can you? smiley

I am happy to keep educating you on the limitations of gOoGLe translate especially in this regard.

Again, gOoGLe translate does not offer etymological analysis. What this means in simple English is that it does not inform you of the historical details and words that are embedded in the word “Benin” for example.

It wouldn’t tell you anything about “anger” or “vexation” as one would find in an historical account of the origin of the word.

It similarly won’t tell you if “Benin” has to do with the name of a “slave” as another early historical account shows.

Your continuous allusion to goOgle translate to decipher etymology is therefore at best laughable and at worst ignorant.

I have cited a sound and valid logic (in the light of historical fact) to demonstrate that the word ”Yoruba” is by necessity an indigenous word rather than a foreign word.

I cited the historical fact that S. Crowther — a Yoruba man, a Bishop, and a Linguist) — struggled and insisted for years to ensure the general adoption of this word by all the sub-groups.

There isn't a shred of logical reason whatsoever as to why a Yoruba man, Bishop, and Linguist will strive so hard for the imposition of a foreign word (a Hausa/Fulani word for that matter) on his own people as their generic term. The time to be honest with yourself is now.

Also, I have given you not only a reference but an early account from the mid-1800s which clearly shows that “Yarri.ba” and “Yaru.ba” are simply Hausa pronunciations rather than indigenous Hausa words. — see attached for S. Crowther’s work again.

Moreover, I have also cited a 1613 reference to this word — an evidence which at once demolishes the Hausa/Fulani theory which you’ve absurdly clung to. I guess the 1800s Hausa writings predate Ahmed Baba’s 1613 Songhay writings in your mind. Lol.

In response to your request for “a reference”, I have already cited you Farouk Martins’ essay where he also echoed the same point about “Oyo is the King” — although his discussion wasn’t as detailed as mine in which I have given both the historical and linguistic justifications. [Always make sure to read what you’re replying to in order to avoid repetitions].

For the umpteenth time, I believe it should have become clear to you at this point in time that if a modern claim or hypothesis contradicts an early account (such as that of S. Crowther which was written at about the same time as Clapperton’s and Sultan Bello’s and which clearly mentions that ”Yarri.ba” and ”Yaru.ba” are only Hausa pronunciations), then the modern claim obviously gives way.

This logic here applies to both your links and your attachments. Cheers!

cc: LegendHero, BabaRamota1980, MinorityOpinion

"Yoruba” was the way Hausa people pronounced "Oyo Oba" which is the same as saying Oyo Alaafin today. Hausa pronounced Oba as Uba giving the Sound “Oyo Uba “ (Yoruba). A word such as Obangiji which means God Almighty in Yoruba is pronounced Ubangiji in Hausa with exactly the same meaning

2 Likes

Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by Etinosa1234: 10:03pm On Aug 22, 2020
TAO11: Oyo r'oba means Oyo is King

3 Likes

Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by Etinosa1234: 10:06pm On Aug 22, 2020
The lies don too much...dem don leave Farouk to enter uber

Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by TAO11(f): 10:15pm On Aug 22, 2020
Etinosa1234:
Wow...in one of ur quotes...U said Ahmed Baba remove any false claim that the word Yoruba was Hausa...

Then to prove that Yoruba was an indigenous word, U turned to Crowther's work that only happened to correct a pronouciation....Quite funny don't u think grin

Now...I have asked u to provide me with reference to any historian on how the word Oyo is King was given to Yoruba and corrupted to its present state..then u turned to a Farouk Martin(who I can't find any info abt... only LinkedIn profile(Abi Farouk dey find job grin) as an authority
Its quite funny how u dropped a Ahmed Baba who history remembers as the first person to incorporate the word Yarba in to life for a completely unknown and recent Farouk Martin...

That's good..love ur logic..

If u were sure ...U would give straight answer not speeches and essay but issorite grin

TAO11
Like I have just shown in my foregoing comment, no where did S. Crowther say anything about the Hausas mispronouncing/misspelling THEIR OWN INDIGENOUS WORD (if that even has any meaning).

In fact, S. Crowther never said anything about any error. See embedded image again for a reminder.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12179655_20fc7d5b550d42f1b345100a7e5bdbb0_jpeg_jpegc8ebb262a6c00829746dc983b86ad5dc

•••

You also need to stop the straw man fallacy in relation to my position.

Again, my allusion to S. Crowther was to demonstrate one thing and one thing only — which is that: the word “Yoruba” is not a foreign word. I have demonstrated this time and time again.

And having established that the word “Yoruba” is non-foreign from S. Crowther’s work and life; I then turned to citing Farouk Martin’s essay (not S. Crowther’s work) — with historical and linguistic support — to bolster his cursory argument for “Oyo r’Oba”.

The equivalence of this from the Edo side is that the word “Bini” is not an indigenous Portuguese word regardless of the Portuguese rendering “Beny”/“Benin”.

And once this is established, one may then turn anywhere for the explanation of how “Bini” came from an earlier phrase — be it “Ile-Ibinu” or “Ubini”, or something else entirely.

[Please ensure that you’re reading what you reply to before replying to avoid these repetitions].

30 Likes

Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by Etinosa1234: 10:19pm On Aug 22, 2020
TAO11:

Still missing the point

Show me a reference link or screenshot where it said Oyo is King is the progenitor of the word Yoruba

1 Like

Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by Etinosa1234: 10:25pm On Aug 22, 2020
If u know it ..U won't give speeches

If u are sure of it, u'll give a straight answer
Etinosa1234:

Still missing the point

Show me a reference link or screenshot where it said Oyo is King is the progenitor of the word Yoruba
TAO11

1 Like

Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by TAO11(f): 10:27pm On Aug 22, 2020
Etinosa1234:
Also ... Ri means to see

If Farouk Martin was true... What can he say abt two words interchanging meanings... Beautiful... Can only be found in Yoruba language

So Oyo r'oba as at something years ago happen to mean Oyo is King but as at now it means Oyo saw King

Can somebody give TAO11 a round of applause for this brilliant discovery
Did you admit earlier not to understand Yoruba language?? Lol.

But I will educate you on this as well:

Yoruba language is tonal. In other words, the same combination of letters will yield entirely different meanings if different tones are applied.

A practical example in this case is the combination: ”ri”.

The combination “ri” (with the tone: do) is transcribed in standardized Yoruba orthography as: “rì” — and it means: to sink.

The combination “ri” (with the tone: mi) is transcribed in standardized Yoruba orthography as: ”rí” — and it means: to see.

The combination “ri” (with the tone: re) is transcribed in standardized Yoruba orthography as: ”ri” or ”rī” — and it means: is (Ijebu dialect).

I appreciate your rapt attention.

Cheers!

27 Likes

Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by Etinosa1234: 10:29pm On Aug 22, 2020
I know TAO didn't click any of the links I posted There...hence her ignorance...

But I'm sure TAO knows lies more than the Farooq so I expected a breakdown of the article with specially made lies

Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by TAO11(f): 10:30pm On Aug 22, 2020
Etinosa1234:
TAO11: Oyo r'oba means Oyo is King
Absolutely.

You seem to be finally learning something after receiving much education.

28 Likes

Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by Etinosa1234: 10:31pm On Aug 22, 2020
TAO11:
Did you admit earlier not to understand Yoruba language?? Lol.

But I educate you on this as well, Yoruba language is tonal. In other words, the same combination of letters will yield entirely different meanings of different tones are applied.

A practical example in this case is the combination: ”ri”.

The combination “ri” (with the tone: do) is transcribed in standardized Yoruba orthography as: “rì” — and it means: to sinking.

The combination “ri” (with the tone: mi) is transcribed in standardized Yoruba orthography as: ”rí” — and it means: to see.

The combination “ri” (with the tone: re) is transcribed in standardized Yoruba orthography as: ”ri”[b] or [b]”rī” — and it means: is (Ijebu dialect).

I appreciate your rapt attention.

Cheers!
.this one u are using ijebu dialect...are u saying it was ijebu pple that gave Oyo their name

Sha provide reference link or screenshot and leave Farouk alone

Still ... Oyo is King is not Oyo r'oba...

1 Like

Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by Etinosa1234: 10:33pm On Aug 22, 2020
TAO11:
Absolutely.

You seem to be finally learning something after receiving much education.

So u finally accepted to be a clown...

Oh how the mighty have fallen

1 Like

Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by TAO11(f): 10:48pm On Aug 22, 2020
Etinosa1234:

.this one u are using ijebu dialect...are u saying it was ijebu pple that gave Oyo their name

Sha provide reference link or screenshot and leave Farouk alone

Still ... Oyo is King is not Oyo r'oba...
You seem to be admitting boldly here that you have no intellectual comeback for that education you just received.

In any case, you have to read what you’re trying to reply to before replying.

Like I always say, it makes you appear less dumb.

28 Likes

Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by TAO11(f): 10:51pm On Aug 22, 2020
Etinosa1234:

Still missing the point

And what will happen if you see “a reference link or screenshot where it said Oyo is [the] King is the progenitor of the word Yoruba”.

I have to know what is at stake — if it is worth the stress of finding it for you.

The material is quite far away from me at the moment. But if I can be assured of what difference it will make for you, than I may dive into the search.

So let’s see what you say.

30 Likes

Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by TAO11(f): 10:52pm On Aug 22, 2020
Etinosa1234:

So u finally accepted to be a clown...

Oh how the mighty have fallen
Like I always say, oceans of tears and sorrows do not need refutation. By the very name it is self refuting. smiley

28 Likes

Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by Etinosa1234: 10:52pm On Aug 22, 2020
TAO11:
And what will happen if you see “a reference link or screenshot where it said Oyo is [the] King is the progenitor of the word”.

I have know what is at stake — if it is worth the stress of finding it for you.

The material is quite far away from me at the moment. But if I can be assured of what difference that we make for you, than I may dive into the search.

So let’s see what you say.
Liar u nor get...U wan go fabricate one PDF as usual grin
Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by TAO11(f): 10:55pm On Aug 22, 2020
Etinosa1234:

Liar u nor get...U wan go fabricate one PDF as usual grin
Now, you’re sounding like it is you who are of course the liar grin

The ball is put in your court. Call the shot as I have noted, and I will try to dive into the search.

So tell me what it will mean for you. My search must be worth the time in case I ultimately find it.

You should not be afraid

28 Likes

Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by Etinosa1234: 10:58pm On Aug 22, 2020
TAO11:
You sure didn’t read what you’re mindlessly copying and pasting. And I have warned about this earlier.

(a) First your authority debunks your Hausa Fulani claim into pieces.

(b) He then turned to search a language called Baatonu, while adding in a rather uncertain and suggestive tone that if “Yoruba” is truly from there it is now lost in the language.

Now, having debunked your claim of Hausa/Fulani (a), he then left you with nothing (b).

So as it debunked my claim ..did it make u right

See clownery of the highest order... ...

So the article has concluded that Yoruba was indigenous to the land ... Cries of a dying Tao11

1 Like

Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by Etinosa1234: 10:59pm On Aug 22, 2020
TAO11:
Now l, you’re sounding like it is you who are really the liar grin

The ball is put in your capture. Call the shot as I have noted, and I will try to dive into the search.

So tell me what it will mean for you. My search must be worth the time in case I ultimately find it.

You should not be afraid

Sharrap joor... So the material far from u and u dey bark like a toothless Dog...

Pls post it ..that I may learn from u my lady grin

1 Like

Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by Nobody: 11:01pm On Aug 22, 2020
This thread is 99.99999% bullshit

Igodomidobo my arsë angry
Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by Etinosa1234: 11:02pm On Aug 22, 2020
TAO11:
You seem to be admitting boldly here that you have no intellectual comeback for that education you just received.

In any case, you have to read what you’re trying to replying to before replying.

Like I always say, it makes you appear less dumb.

U don't know that u sound foolish...well..A foolish person doesn't know his foolish...

U were using ijebu dialect as ur authority for interpreting Oyo is King in Yoruba because others seem not to favor u.. So its common sense for anyone reading that u are indirectly saying it was the ijebu that named Oyo

Omo... Na wa for revision

1 Like

Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by TAO11(f): 11:07pm On Aug 22, 2020
Etinosa1234:

So as it debunked my claim ..did it make u right

See clownery of the highest order... ...

So the article has concluded that Yoruba was indigenous to the land ... Cries of a dying Tao11
I’m glad you admitted it debunked your Hausa/Fulani straw.

But the writer left his writing inconclusive by applying a conditional clause, and a fact that make his whole argument unverifiable.

He remarked that ”IF” Yoruba is from Baatoonu [the conditional clause], then it is now lost in the language itself [the fact that left his whole argument unverifiable].

This clearly renders his argument inconclusive if not meaningless.

Moreover, there is no where I noted that his argument supports mine.

What you must do is to examine my argument in its merit by critiquing the historical and linguistic evidence I have adduced.

28 Likes

Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by Etinosa1234: 11:15pm On Aug 22, 2020
TAO11:
I’m glad you admitted it debunked your Hausa/Fulani straw.

But the writer left his writing inconclusive by applying a conditional clause, and a fact that make his whole argument unverifiable.

He remarked that ”IF” Yoruba is from Baatoonu [the conditional clause], then it is now lost in the language itself [the fact that left his whole argument unverifiable].

This clearly renders his argument inconclusive if not meaningless.

Moreover, there is no where I noted that his argument supports mine.

What you must do is to examine my argument in it merit by critiquing the historical and linguistic argument I have adduced.

Lies

Stop grasping at straws

Stop grasping at straws

The article supported me more when it stated how the word was copied into Hausa language

Did u see any "Oyo is king" there

grin

1 Like

Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by jude79(m): 11:15pm On Aug 22, 2020
Igboid:

We are not saying same thing.

The Igbos in Idu migrated to Idu from Igboland, and went back to Igboland when Idu fell to the hands of the Oba from Ile ife. They were not Idu descendants.
They came back to Igboland with stories of the war and their sufferings in Idu. These stories exists in Igbo folklore as "Agha Idu n'Oba" meaning the war between Idu and Oba.

It's akin to the modern Igbo folklore called "Oso Abiola" Igbos in Yorubaland had to make, following the upheaval in Yorubaland after Abiola election was annulled.
The Igbos who were resident in Yorubaland ran back to Igboland. Many of them were Yoruba speaking and had Yoruba wives, even though they all had Igbo names and spoke Igbo too. If this happened in the precolonial past, you will also hear ignorant descendants of these Igbos parrot about how their ancestors migrated from Yorubaland to Igboland and how they were Yorubas who became assimilated as Igbos and lost their Yoruba language , without acknowledging the fact that it was only a reverse migration and that their ancestors were never Yoruba people, even though they resided in Yorubaland and called themselves Lagosians.

The reverse migration of Igbo populations in Idu land back to Igbo land during "Agha Idu n'oba", is what the ignorant descendants of these Igbo returnees are misinterpreting as being descendants of Bini.

Correct and factul, my uncle use to tell us stories about agha idu na oba, when I was a kid. He said he heard this stories from his grandfather while he was a kid too.

1 Like

Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by TAO11(f): 11:16pm On Aug 22, 2020
Etinosa1234:
U don't know that u sound foolish...well..A foolish person doesn't know his foolish...

U were using ijebu dialect as ur authority for interpreting Oyo is King in Yoruba because others seem not to favor u. So its common sense for anyone reading that u are indirectly saying it was the ijebu that named Oyo

Omo... Na wa for revision
No, it’s rather because the word under consideration has been subjected to change even just in the last 170 years.

In other words “ni” which is the general equivalent of “is” (in this context) was not its equivalent only 170 years ago. — I cited the Yoruba Bible from that time as evidence for this.

My argument then proceeded that if in the mid-1800s another Yoruba word existed for “is” (that is “li” instead of present-day “ni” ), then there certainly must have been a more archaic form from the pre-1600s (recall that Ahmed Baba’s reference was in the early 1600s).

The Itsekiri and Ijebu axis stood out as the region with the Yoruba-dialects that has remained most uninfluenced by modern changes — and I cited evidence to back this up.

I have written at length already on this. You just have to read what you’re replying to.

29 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (15) (Reply)

Why We Have Not Paid The Ikoyi Whistle-blower - Lai Mohammed / 'Stop Herdsmen Killings, Release Leah Sharibu': Christians Protest In Lafia (Pic / 25 Reasons To Be Worried About President Buhari's Disdain For Democracy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.