Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,546 members, 7,865,253 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 02:41 PM

The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD (17258 Views)

Chase Out Any Igbo That Fails To Vote Peter Obi From Igboland - Pastor / Return Of Some Igbos That Migrated To Idu/igodomigodo And Idah Before 800ad. / Nnia Nwodo: Any Igbo That Touches A Northerner Should Kill Me First (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by TAO11(f): 11:20pm On Aug 22, 2020
Etinosa1234:

Lies

Stop grasping at straws

Stop grasping at straws

The article supported me more when it stated how the word was copied into Hausa language

Did u see any "Oyo is king" there

grin
Copying into the Hausa language is another way of saying it is not indigenously Hausa. grin This debunks you into pieces.

Moreover, when it was time to tell where it was copied from — the writer bolted — nothing definite was given.

Moreover, I can’t remember saying that the author argued along the lines of “Oyo r’Oba”.

While he never affirmed it (as he never affirmed anything else), he never debunked it.

In fact he never really affirmed anything else. He only debunked your Hausa theory among others.

No where did I even mention that any of your writers supported my argument. I have been arguing the exact opposite.

27 Likes

Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by TAO11(f): 11:23pm On Aug 22, 2020
Etinosa1234:
Sharrap joor... So the material far from u and u dey bark like a toothless Dog...

Pls post it ..that I may learn from u my lady grin
Now that you’re admitting that you will learn and keep shut from saying it doesn’t exist, or that there is no such author as Farouk Martins (whom I know for sure to have published on Race and History) who wrote about it; I will now dive into the search and revert back here in due course.

Please stay tuned.

26 Likes

Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by Etinosa1234: 11:26pm On Aug 22, 2020
TAO11:
Now that you’re admitting that you will learn and keep shut from saying it doesn’t exist, or that there is no such author as Farouk Martins (whom I know for sure to have published on Race and History who wrote about it; I will now dive into the search and revert back here in due course.

Please stay tuned.
If it doesn’t predate 1900 , it’s herby useless grin
Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by Etinosa1234: 11:28pm On Aug 22, 2020
TAO11:
Copying into the Hausa language is another way of saying it is not indigenously Hausa. grin This debunks you into pieces.

Moreover, when it was time to tell where it was copied from — the writer bolted — nothing definite was given.

Moreover, I can’t remember saying that the author argued along the lines of “Oyo r’Oba”.

While he never affirmed it (as he never affirmed anything else), he never debunked it.

In fact he never really affirmed anything else. He only debunked your Hausa theory among others.

No where did I even mention that any of your writers supported my argument. I have been arguing the exact opposite.

He never affirmed because there was no such thing as Oyo r'oba as the progenitor of the word Yoruba ... u can’t debunk what has not been proven

I’ve rendered u useless once again

2 Likes

Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by Etinosa1234: 11:30pm On Aug 22, 2020
TAO11:
No, it’s rather because the word under consideration has been subjected to change even just in the last 170 years.

In other words “ni” which is the general equivalent of “is” (in this context) was not its equivalent only 170 years ago. — I cited the Yoruba Bible from that time as evidence for this.

My argument then proceeded that if in the mid-1800s another Yoruba word existed for “is” (that is “li” instead of present-day “ni” ), then there most certainly must have been a more archaic form from the pre-1600s (recall that Ahmed Baba’s reference was in the early 1600s).

The Itsekiri and Ijebu axis stood out as the region with the Yoruba-dialects that has remained most uninfluenced by modern changes — and I cited evidence to back this up.

I have written at length already on this. You just have to read what you’re replying to.

So be straight to the point

Which Yoruba subgroup gave the Name Yoruba
Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by TAO11(f): 11:31pm On Aug 22, 2020
Etinosa1234:

He never affirmed because there was no such thing as Oyo r'oba as the progenitor of the word Yoruba ... u can’t debunk what has not been proven

I’ve rendered u useless once again
He never affirmed any conclusion at all actually.

He only debunked and debunked. And your Hausa/Fulani was among what he debunked.

As regards affirming, he left the writing inconclusive. And I’m not sure why this debate is about your authority.

29 Likes

Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by Etinosa1234: 11:37pm On Aug 22, 2020
TAO11:
He never affirmed any conclusion at all actually.

He only debunked and debunked. And your Hausa/Fulani was among what he debunked.

As regards affirming he left the writing inconclusive. And I’m not sure why this debate is about your authority.
So tell me... if it was true that the word was indigenous to Yoruba, why didn’t he say such? After all he’s Yoruba
It’s because there is no such thing like that

U are mainly using it to console your deflated ego grin
Here’s something u missed
So it’s no surprise that there is a vast circulation of cultural and ethnonymic registers between these polities. Interestingly, the Baatonu people (more than 80 percent of whom are now in Benin Republic) don’t call other Yoruba groups “Yoruba.”

For instance, they call the Yoruboid groups in Benin Republic Kawo (plural Kaabu or Kawobu). “Yorubu” is reserved

only for Oyo Yoruba. It’s obvious that Ahmad Baba wrote“Yoruba” as “Yoruba” in his 1613 essay because Arabic, the language in which he wrote, does not have the vowel “o.” The three dominant vowels in Arabic are “a,” “I,” and “u.”

Obviously, both the Fulani and the Hausa copied the name “Yoruba” from the Songhai who in turn copied it from the Baatonu people of Borgu. I speak the Baatonu language natively; if the name “Yoru” had a meaning in the language, that meaning is lost now. But there is not the faintest whiff of derogation in the name when the Baatonu people use it to refer to Oyo people. Nor does it mean anything even in Songhai, which my mother’s relatives speak natively.

What is significant, however, is that people of Western Nigeria aren’t called “Yoruba” today because the Borgu people

called them so, or because they were identified by a version of that name by Songhai, Hausa, and Fulani people. They

self-identify as “Yoruba” precisely because returnee slaves of Yoruba descent chose the name, popularised it, and encouraged people in the region to embrace it.
Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by TAO11(f): 11:37pm On Aug 22, 2020
Etinosa1234:
So be straight to the point

Which Yoruba subgroup gave the Name Yoruba
What dumb question is this!?

I already stated that it was an ”Oyo hegemonic term”. Figure out what that means. But I notice you seem to be learning lately.

Again, different dialects of a language are more in the “proto” form the more you go back in time.

And they become more differentiated (because of external influences) the more you move closer to present time.

The Ijebu and Itsekiri dialects, for example, prove to be one of those which have had the least influence from modern changes as I have shown — hence words from here serve as collateral linguistic evidence for what was going on in the distant past in the proto-Yoruba language.

I hope you can comprehend this. We are going deeper into linguistics now.

29 Likes

Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by Etinosa1234: 11:39pm On Aug 22, 2020
TAO11:
What dumb question is this.

I already said it was an “Oyo hegemonic term”. Figure our what that means. But I notice you seem to be learning lately.

Again, dialects are more in the “proto” form the more you go back in time.

And they are more differentiated (because of external influences) the more you move closer to present time.

The Ijebu and Itsekiri dialect prove to be one of the the least influenced by any changes as I have shown —hence words from here serve as collateral linguistic evidence for what was going on in the distant past in the proto-Yoruba language.

I hope you can comprehend this. We are going deeper into linguistics now.
In simpler terms

Who gave the name Oyo r'oba and under what circumstances
Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by Etinosa1234: 11:40pm On Aug 22, 2020
I’m tired of this back and forth

I’m ending this convo

Goodnight
Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by TAO11(f): 11:41pm On Aug 22, 2020
Etinosa1234:

So tell me... if it was true that the word was indigenous to Yoruba, why didn’t he say such? After all he’s Yoruba
It’s because there is no such thing like that

U are mainly using it to console your deflated ego grin
Here’s something u missed
So it’s no surprise that there is a vast circulation of cultural and ethnonymic registers between these polities. Interestingly, the Baatonu people (more than 80 percent of whom are now in Benin Republic) don’t call other Yoruba groups “Yoruba.”

For instance, they call the Yoruboid groups in Benin Republic Kawo (plural Kaabu or Kawobu). “Yorubu” is reserved

only for Oyo Yoruba. It’s obvious that Ahmad Baba wrote“Yoruba” as “Yoruba” in his 1613 essay because Arabic, the language in which he wrote, does not have the vowel “o.” The three dominant vowels in Arabic are “a,” “I,” and “u.”

Obviously, both the Fulani and the Hausa copied the name “Yoruba” from the Songhai who in turn copied it from the Baatonu people of Borgu. I speak the Baatonu language natively; if the name “Yoru” had a meaning in the language, that meaning is lost now. But there is not the faintest whiff of derogation in the name when the Baatonu people use it to refer to Oyo people. Nor does it mean anything even in Songhai, which my mother’s relatives speak natively.

What is significant, however, is that people of Western Nigeria aren’t called “Yoruba” today because the Borgu people

called them so, or because they were identified by a version of that name by Songhai, Hausa, and Fulani people. They

self-identify as “Yoruba” precisely because returnee slaves of Yoruba descent chose the name, popularised it, and encouraged people in the region to embrace it.
At no point did I agree with you that any of your writers is my authority.

I was merely demonstrating to you that your writer demolished your Hausa/Fulani straw into pieces. And you clearly admitted that he did.

My authority for the indigenousness of the word “Yoruba” has consistently been S. Crowther.

So, check again you seem to be missing something. grin

28 Likes

Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by AreaFada2: 11:41pm On Aug 22, 2020
Bkayyy:

Bini people and lies sha.
It is quite interesting that Gov. Godwin Obaseki's great great great grandfather came from "Anioma" that was coined and created by Chief Dennis Osadebay in 1951.
You people lie alot, very soon you people will bring out one prince's name and say that he was the one that migrated from Bini and created Anioma since you people are always looking for your princes

Ok, tell about your own pre-Osadebey history of Obaseki family.

Because his ancestor's name is known, how they acquired the name Obaseki is known. So tell us "your authentic" version sir. And let the world hear it.

1 Like

Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by TAO11(f): 11:43pm On Aug 22, 2020
Etinosa1234:

In simpler terms

Who gave the name Oyo r'oba and under what circumstances

I already said it was an “Oyo hegemonic term”. Figure our what that means. But I notice you seem to be learning lately
For details, refer to some of my lengthier comments dealing with this. It is well detailed out.

I already warned that you must read what you intend to be replying to before replying. Now you just proved that you haven’t been doing so.

29 Likes

Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by TAO11(f): 11:48pm On Aug 22, 2020
Etinosa1234:

If it doesn’t predate 1900 , it’s herby useless grin
grin wink grin cheesy grin Straw clutching cum inconsistency at its height.

Wait a minute!! Who gave the criteria that before 1900 is useless (even if it doesn’t contradict any original account)??

I will be waiting for an intelligent answer to this question. I hope I won’t wait forever.

Moreover, none of your authors whom you’ve been pushing around predates 1900.

Is it now too hard to be reasonable and consistent??

Oh Lawd!! cheesy

29 Likes

Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by Etinosa1234: 11:53pm On Aug 22, 2020
TAO11:
At no point did I agree with you that your author is my authority. I was demonstrated to you that your writer demolishes your Hausa/Fulani straw into pieces. And you clearly admitted that he did.

My authority for the indigenousness of the word “Yoruba” has consistently been S. Crowther.

So, check again you seem to be missing something. grin

Show me where crowther wrote abt the origin of Yoruba being indigenous

Read that excerpt I posted... isn’t crowther a returnee slave grin

Ohh... how things are falling into places
Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by Etinosa1234: 11:53pm On Aug 22, 2020
TAO11:
grin wink grin cheesy grin Straw clutching cum inconsistency at its height.

Wait a minute!! Who gave the criteria that before 1900 is useless (even if it doesn’t contradict any original account)??

I will be waiting for an intelligent answer to this question. I hope I won’t wait forever.

Moreover, none of your authors whom you’ve been pushing around predates 1900.

Is it now too hard to be reasonable and consistent??

Oh Lawd!! cheesy

U gave it when u classified my 1997 work to be false

Jokes on you grin
Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by Etinosa1234: 11:57pm On Aug 22, 2020
TAO11:

For details, refer to some of my lengthier comments dealing with this. It is well detailed out.

I already warned that you must read what you intend to be replying to before replying. Now you just proved that you haven’t been doing so.

Still waiting for the proof that it was indigenous

Only our nairaland historian has it because she was present as at the naming ceremony grin
Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by NaMe4: 11:59pm On Aug 22, 2020
Etinosa1234:

Obaseki forefathers from anioma...

I give up on nairaland

Hahahaha
Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by Etinosa1234: 12:00am On Aug 23, 2020
Another article from a Yoruba person

Tao11 ... why ur own case different grin

Have you always thought about where the word Yoruba originate?? Have you heard many misconception and misapprehension that left you baffled?? That was what got hold of me too so I decided to dig into it.
What is the meaning of Yoruba? Does it have any inclination to our language? This is a thought provoking topic that needs profound reasoning and intense research for better understanding.

It is time we faced the monster that keeps trailing us whom many try to ignore. In Yoruba culture, appellation is often derived from a prerequisite factor or foretelling. For fact telling, some name their child Owolabi hoping the child will bring fortune to the family, another one is that almost all Yoruba towns have their names derived from an event or a factor as illustrated in; Eba-Odan – Ibadan, Abe Okuta Olumo – Abeokuta and Ibi ti Ile ti yo – Oyo and so forth. However, these factors appear not partake in the word Yoruba.

I asked a lot of people to define Yoruba, nobody had a clue so I decided to return to history and I delved into what Yoruba scholars of the past centuries had written. Slowly I began to unravel the mystery of our name.
The first hint I got was from an ordinary search which spouted Yoruba. What does that mean?? I carried on, I moved on to the always ready Yoruba dictionary written by Samuel Ajayi Crowther which defines ‘Yoruba’ as a bastard and deceitful person.

Another came from the one I found on a scholarly written journal of Dr Taiwo Ayanbolu who insisted Yoruba is a name derived from Hausa language which means deceit. He claimed he found the definition at York Museum in England dating to the 19th century.
Before I go further here, I would like to stress how the name came aboard. It has been recorded that the Hausa-Fulani who had been in contact with the Yoruba even before the rise of Oyo Empire had for some reasons chosen to call us Yoruba, or Yaribansa.

Perhaps this might have been a result of Yoruba people’s bargaining skills which often made the Fulani traders fall victim of trade by barter. Another one I stumbled on was narrated by another scholar who said the name Yoruba started protruding during the clash between Yoruba and Fulani that steered the lost of Ilorin to them in the 18th century.

The Igbos had cleansed themselves off ‘Yinmiri’, a name the Hausa-Fulani had technically given to them. The igbos have today refuted Yinmiri to be a derogatory word, however, the reverse is the case for the Yoruba. From findings I have made, Yaribansa is a Fulani word meaning Bastard. An extremely derogatory word in Yoruba discourse.

I read one of Professor Ade Ajayi’s book “Yoruba Warfare in the Nineteenth century” where he insisted that during the indirect rule era, it was necessary for the imperialists to give a unique name to the entire towns and people who spoke Yoruba language.

Somehow, they settled for Yoruba. Yoruba is a deviation of Yoruba which the Yoruba people of that century rejected. The Ijebu, Ijesa and Egba rejected this name vehemently but because during the Kiriji war (the Yoruba civil war) where the collapse of Oyo Empire commenced and the signalling factor the imperialists used to prompt the rule over Oyo from covers. The name Yoruba was foisted on Oyo and Ibadan mainly on documents and slowly the name Yoruba was enshrined in our culture and hence, our appellation.

Research shows that the Egba were the last to accept Yoruba as their appellation, reason coming from facts emanating from the first newspaper published in Yorubaland in 1859, goes: Iwe Iroyin Fun Ara Egba Ati Yoruba. This indicates that the Egba refused the name Yoruba as at 1859.

Furthermore, I have read the Odu Ifa and I have familiarised myself with many Ogede Ofo, Iwure and Ewi of the past generations and I have never heard where we were referred to as Yoruba, rather, as Omo Kaaro Ojiire, Omo Oduduwa or Omoluabi.

I am penning this for us to know the origin of the word Yoruba, it is a bitter pill to swallow especially now that the name has travelled far and wide, should we try to augment our appellation Yoruba? certainly too late to make any sort of modification. We might as well just carry on dealing with it.
Source & Written By: Bola Olalekan
Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by TAO11(f): 12:01am On Aug 23, 2020
Etinosa1234:
Still waiting for the proof that it was indigenous

Only our nairaland historian has it because she was present as at the naming ceremony grin

Etinosa1234:
Show me where crowther wrote abt the origin of Yoruba being indigenous
He indicates it strongly by his tireless struggles to ensure that every Yoruba subgroup adopt it.

You must now prove against logic that a Yoruba man and a Bishop for that matter would indeed struggle tirelessly for years to ensure that his own people adopt an Hausa/Fulani name as their generic-title.

Please stop sacrificing common sense at the alter of prejudice.

Moreover, his mid-1800s book shows clearly that “Yarri.ba” and “Yaru.ba” is how the Hausas pronounce this name from their own tongue.

It is absurd to twist this into saying he was describing the idea that the Hausas make mistakes in pronouncing THEIR OWN INDIGENOUS WORDS. Does that even have any meaning to you?? That’s simply absurd!

Read that excerpt I posted... isn’t crowther a returnee slave grin

Ohh... how things are falling into places
Yes a “returnee” slave means a person captured (into slavery) but who was lucky enough to be returned back home.

He is a Yoruba man from Osoogun in today’s Oyo state. What is your point here??

30 Likes

Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by TAO11(f): 12:04am On Aug 23, 2020
Etinosa1234:
Another article from a Yoruba person

Tao11 ... why ur own case different grin

Have you always thought about where the word Yoruba originate?? Have you heard many misconception and misapprehension that left you baffled?? That was what got hold of me too so I decided to dig into it.
What is the meaning of Yoruba? Does it have any inclination to our language? This is a thought provoking topic that needs profound reasoning and intense research for better understanding.

It is time we faced the monster that keeps trailing us whom many try to ignore. In Yoruba culture, appellation is often derived from a prerequisite factor or foretelling. For fact telling, some name their child Owolabi hoping the child will bring fortune to the family, another one is that almost all Yoruba towns have their names derived from an event or a factor as illustrated in; Eba-Odan – Ibadan, Abe Okuta Olumo – Abeokuta and Ibi ti Ile ti yo – Oyo and so forth. However, these factors appear not partake in the word Yoruba.

I asked a lot of people to define Yoruba, nobody had a clue so I decided to return to history and I delved into what Yoruba scholars of the past centuries had written. Slowly I began to unravel the mystery of our name.
The first hint I got was from an ordinary search which spouted Yoruba. What does that mean?? I carried on, I moved on to the always ready Yoruba dictionary written by Samuel Ajayi Crowther which defines ‘Yoruba’ as a bastard and deceitful person.

Another came from the one I found on a scholarly written journal of Dr Taiwo Ayanbolu who insisted Yoruba is a name derived from Hausa language which means deceit. He claimed he found the definition at York Museum in England dating to the 19th century.
Before I go further here, I would like to stress how the name came aboard. It has been recorded that the Hausa-Fulani who had been in contact with the Yoruba even before the rise of Oyo Empire had for some reasons chosen to call us Yoruba, or Yaribansa.

Perhaps this might have been a result of Yoruba people’s bargaining skills which often made the Fulani traders fall victim of trade by barter. Another one I stumbled on was narrated by another scholar who said the name Yoruba started protruding during the clash between Yoruba and Fulani that steered the lost of Ilorin to them in the 18th century.

The Igbos had cleansed themselves off ‘Yinmiri’, a name the Hausa-Fulani had technically given to them. The igbos have today refuted Yinmiri to be a derogatory word, however, the reverse is the case for the Yoruba. From findings I have made, Yaribansa is a Fulani word meaning Bastard. An extremely derogatory word in Yoruba discourse.

I read one of Professor Ade Ajayi’s book “Yoruba Warfare in the Nineteenth century” where he insisted that during the indirect rule era, it was necessary for the imperialists to give a unique name to the entire towns and people who spoke Yoruba language.

Somehow, they settled for Yoruba. Yoruba is a deviation of Yoruba which the Yoruba people of that century rejected. The Ijebu, Ijesa and Egba rejected this name vehemently but because during the Kiriji war (the Yoruba civil war) where the collapse of Oyo Empire commenced and the signalling factor the imperialists used to prompt the rule over Oyo from covers. The name Yoruba was foisted on Oyo and Ibadan mainly on documents and slowly the name Yoruba was enshrined in our culture and hence, our appellation.

Research shows that the Egba were the last to accept Yoruba as their appellation, reason coming from facts emanating from the first newspaper published in Yorubaland in 1859, goes: Iwe Iroyin Fun Ara Egba Ati Yoruba. This indicates that the Egba refused the name Yoruba as at 1859.

Furthermore, I have read the Odu Ifa and I have familiarised myself with many Ogede Ofo, Iwure and Ewi of the past generations and I have never heard where we were referred to as Yoruba, rather, as Omo Kaaro Ojiire, Omo Oduduwa or Omoluabi.

I am penning this for us to know the origin of the word Yoruba, it is a bitter pill to swallow especially now that the name has travelled far and wide, should we try to augment our appellation Yoruba? certainly too late to make any sort of modification. We might as well just carry on dealing with it.
Source & Written By: Bola Olalekan
I have debunked all these Vanguard writings repeatedly with the idea that:

If their final conclusion contradicts earlier original accounts, then they must give way.

And as I have shown again and again (see foregoing comment) from Crowther’s work and life, the word “Yoruba” is indigenous to the Yoruba people.

30 Likes

Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by TAO11(f): 12:08am On Aug 23, 2020
Etinosa1234:
U gave it when u classified my 1997 work to be false

Jokes on you grin
Not false merely because it is from 1997. No, I never did that.

Rather, it is false because you seem to conclude from it that “Yoruba” is from an indigenous Hausa word.

Whereas, early original accounts clearly debunks such conclusion. [Even your authors debunk it].

In sum, it’s not merely looking at one date, it’s looking at it in relation to an earlier original account which disagrees with it. I hope that is clear to you now. cheesy

So, are you still willing to learn and keep-shut (as you promised earlier) if I post one reference (Farouk Martins) saying that?? I’d be waiting for your final answer on this.

30 Likes

Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by Etinosa1234: 12:08am On Aug 23, 2020
TAO11:

He indicates it strongly by his tireless struggles to ensure that every Yoruba subgroup adopt it.

You must now prove against logic that a Yoruba man and a Bishop for that mention would struggle tirelessly that his own people adopt an Hausa/Fulani name as their generic-title.

Please stop sacrificing common sense at the alter of prejudice.

Moreover, his mid-1800s book shows clearly that “Yarri.ba” and “Yaru.ba” is how the Hausas pronounce this name from their own tongue.

It is absurd to twist this into saying he was describing the idea that the Hausas make mistakes in pronouncing THEIR OWN INDIGENOUS WORDS. Does that even have meaning?? That’s absurd.

Yes a “returnee” slave means. A person captured (into slavery) but who was lucky to be returned back home.

He is a Yoruba man from Osoogun in today’s Oyo state. What is your point here??

Wasn’t Ajayi Crowther a slave?

Still yet... correction of a pronouciation does not make it indigenous

People mispronounce my English name but it is not indigenous to my tribe
And repeating it doesn’t make it true

Does Ajayi crowther know the origin
Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by TAO11(f): 12:21am On Aug 23, 2020
Etinosa1234:
Wasn’t Ajayi Crowther a slave?
How does his being a former salve who was originally captured from Yorubaland help your argument here?? It obviously fails to help your argument — not even in the least way. grin

Still yet... correction of a pronouciation does not make it indigenous
Nowhere does he say anything about correction.

Moreover, it is absurd to put forward the ridiculous imagination that the Hausas were making mistakes in pronouncing THEIR OWN INDIGENOUS WORD, and then Crowther corrected them on how their own indigenous word should have originally been pronounced, and then Crowther took this supposedly indigenous Hausa word over and ensured that it was adopted by all Yoruba subgroups as their generic-name.

C’mon!! You have to slow down. Okay?

People mispronounce my English name but it is not indigenous to my tribe. And repeating it doesn’t make it true
Your analogy here is blatantly false in comparison to the imagery you’ve been painting.

Your analogy here, if you must be consistent, with your oft-repeated position must go as follows:

ENGLISH PEOPLE “mispronounce” your English name.

Now you should have realized the absurdity of what you’ve been falsely repeating all day long. grin

Does Ajayi crowther know the origin
Yes, he does know for sure to have been motivated (as a Yoruba man and a Linguist) that he must struggle relentlessly for years to see that all the subgroups adopt it as their generic-name.

His clear statement that “Yarri.ba” and “Yaru.ba” are merely Hausa pronunciation of the actual word also support this same point.

29 Likes

Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by Atigba: 1:32am On Aug 23, 2020
Abagworo:

Uguta is Igbo. The stupid identity crisis don't exist here even with the clear migration from Delta via Ilah and Aboh. The Ilah and Aboh people are also Igbos even though there might be fear to admit this truth. Benin expansion, brutality of the kings and cultural influence affected all Igbo speaking communities west of the Niger and forced some to migrate across the river for peaceful life. Most Igbos in the West know they originated from Nshi which many historians believe is Nri but there's nowhere called Nri in Igboland.

Oguta dont see themselves as Igbo
Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by Nobody: 5:47am On Aug 23, 2020
AreaFada2:

Ok, tell about your own pre-Osadebey history of Obaseki family.

Because his ancestor's name is known, how they acquired the name Obaseki is known. So tell us "your authentic" version sir. And let the world hear it.

You guys should quit lying and been a hunter of igbo history

there is no history existing between an igbo man and a bini man....all na all llies.

if bini needs her history and to debate it, the right people to do that with are yorubas. you guys shared virtually everything in common....be it historically etc
Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by Nobody: 5:50am On Aug 23, 2020
Bkayyy:

Bini people and lies sha.
It is quite interesting that Gov. Godwin Obaseki's great great great grandfather came from "Anioma" that was coined and created by Chief Dennis Osadebay in 1951.
You people lie alot, very soon you people will bring out one prince's name and say that he was the one that migrated from Bini and created Anioma since you people are always looking for your princes

u dey mind them. there real history is staring at them but no dey will prefer to chase shadows..

3 Likes

Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by Nobody: 5:53am On Aug 23, 2020
Atigba:

Oguta dont see themselves as Igbo

They are bini from bini kingdom, travelling from bini to oguta

Lol what a kingdom of bini hunting for igbo history while leaving their real yoruba heritage.

1 Like

Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by Born2Breed(f): 6:23am On Aug 23, 2020
Fawklicant:

This is so childish. You need to do better. Debunk the claims if you can with references and proofs. Everything is not about your emotions.

Ignore that slowpoke. He knows nothing aside making silly comments that a 2yrs old can't even comprehend.
Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by Atigba: 10:54am On Aug 23, 2020
MelesZenawi:

They are bini from bini kingdom, travelling from bini to oguta

Lol what a kingdom of bini hunting for igbo history while leaving their real yoruba heritage.

I'm Idu not Bini
Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by Etinosa1234: 11:19am On Aug 23, 2020
TAO11:
How does his being a former salve who was originally captured from Yorubaland help your argument here?? It obviously fails to help your argument — not even in the least way. grin

Nowhere does he say anything about correction.

Moreover, it is absurd to put forward the ridiculous imagination that the Hausas were making mistakes in pronouncing THEIR OWN INDIGENOUS WORD, and then Crowther corrected them on how their own indigenous word should have originally been pronounced, and then Crowther took this supposedly indigenous Hausa word over and ensured that it was adopted by all Yoruba subgroups as their generic-name.

C’mon!! You have to slow down. Okay?

Your analogy here is blatantly false in comparison to the imagery you’ve been painting.

Your analogy here, if you must be consistent, with your oft-repeated position must go as follows:

ENGLISH PEOPLE “mispronounce” your English name.

Now you should have realized the absurdity of what you’ve been falsely repeating all day long. grin

Yes, he does know for sure to have been motivated (as a Yoruba man and a Linguist) that he must struggle relentlessly for years to see that all the subgroups adopt it as their generic-name.

His clear statement that “Yarri.ba” and “Yaru.ba” are merely Hausa pronunciation of the actual word also support this same point.

The same regular lies....

POST A REFERENCE TO WHERE CROWTHER STATED THE ORIGIN OF YORUBA TO BE YORUBA

1 Like

Re: The Return Of Igbo's That Migrated To IDU/IGODOMIGODO And IDAH Before 800AD by Etinosa1234: 11:20am On Aug 23, 2020
TAO11:
Not false merely because it is from 1997. No, I never did that.

Rather, it is false because you seem to conclude from it that “Yoruba” is from an indigenous Hausa word.

Whereas, early original accounts clearly debunks such conclusion. [Even your authors debunk it].

In sum, it’s not merely looking at one date, it’s looking at it in relation to an earlier original account which disagrees with it. I hope that is clear to you now. cheesy

So, are you still willing to learn and keep-shut (as you promised earlier) if I post one reference (Farouk Martins) saying that?? I’d be waiting for your final answer on this.
I'm basically tired of this back and forth...I know this is ur strategy to waste time..... But lemme ask u a few things.

Firstly.. U claimed Ahmed Baba diminished every claim that Hausa was not the ones who gave the name Yoruba

So using ur theory, Did Ahmed Baba learn how to speak Yoruba so that he could give Oyo a name
Nb: the book Ahmed Baba wrote was to talk abt whether it was the will of Allah to enslave non Muslims... He also talked abt Katsina,Gobir and the likes

Secondly, u hold Crowther as an authority on the name Yoruba
Kindly point to where Crowther talked abt the origin of the name Yoruba as being indigenous
Thirdly , inasmuch as my claim that Hausa were the originator was false, it still boils down to the root that the name was foreign, thereby supporting to an extent

Point me to any work from a historian that said the name Yoruba was indigenous from the word Oyo is King

Fourthly, Since u are translating the word Ri to suit ur narrative of is...and also using ijebu dialect as a support... Kindly show me where it was said that a Yoruba person gave the name Oyo r'oba ...(that happened to be lost in time grin)

if Farouk Martin work is post 1900 then it is useless if the same Farouk doesn't have his references

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (15) (Reply)

Nigeria’s Rail Costs Exceed AU’s Estimates By Over 100% / Child Custody: Over 18,000 Sign Precious Chikwendu's Petition Against FFK (Pix) / Labour Party: Northern Christians Will Vote Obi over Atiku's purchased endorseme

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.