Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,044 members, 7,814,578 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:32 PM

"I Need To Speak To Messi" - Koeman - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "I Need To Speak To Messi" - Koeman (24670 Views)

Ghana Media Blocks Team Bus From Leaving As Players Refused To Speak To Them / Betis Fans Bow To Messi After Superb Hat-trick Performance / "I Speak To Didier Drogba Daily, Warned Thierry Henry" - Romelu Lukaku (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

"I Need To Speak To Messi" - Koeman by ogbiwa: 7:01am On Aug 20, 2020
Ronald Koeman: New Barcelona manager plans to speak with unhappy Lionel Messi

New Barcelona head coach Ronald Koeman says he does not know if he will have to "convince" Lionel Messi to stay at the club.

Koeman, 57, has signed a two-year deal with Barca, two days after the club sacked Quique Setien.

Messi's future at the Nou Camp is uncertain after they failed to win a trophy last season for the first time since 2007-08.

"He's still got a contract and is still a Barcelona player," said Koeman.

"At this point I need to speak to him because he is the captain.

"We need to work with him and speak with various players. We need to make some decisions but in Messi's case I hope he stays with us.

"I don't know if I have to convince Messi [to stay], whether it's that or not. He is the best player in the world and the best player in the world you want in your team, you don't want him playing against you.

"As a coach I would love to work with Messi because he wins matches. If he's at the ability and level he has always shown I'd be more than happy for him to stay."

'Messi has never been closer to leaving' - Guillem Balague

Koeman has left his role as Netherlands boss, with two years left on his contract, to take over at Barca.

He played for the Spanish giants between 1989 and 1995, helping them to four league titles and the European Cup.

The Catalans finished second in La Liga last season. The five-point gap to champions Real Madrid and the humiliating 8-2 defeat by Bayern Munich in their Champions League quarter-final last week culminated in the dismissal of Setien on Monday.

The club also announced Ramon Planes as the new technical director. He was the assistant to Eric Abidal, who left his role as sporting director on Tuesday.

"What we need to do is give a different image to what we gave against Bayern, that's not the Barca we or the fans want to see," said Koeman.

"You have to be very happy to wear the Barca shirt. You have to show that with commitment, professionalism, with everything you have inside. If we do that, the image will be totally different to what it was last week."

He added: "We're going to work very hard to build a strong team but we'll have to make changes because the image of the other day is not what we want. We'll have to work hard to recover our prestige.

"It's a big challenge and it won't be easy because Barca always demands the best of you, which is the way it should be.

"Barca are still the biggest club in the world. Now we have to work hard to make sure Barca get back to where they should be. There is enough quality in the team to demand the best results and to win trophies."

Koeman had his first taste of coaching when he was assistant to national team coach Guus Hiddink during the 1998 World Cup, before becoming Louis van Gaal's right-hand man at the Nou Camp from 1998 to 2000.

He eventually went on to have success as a manager back in his homeland, winning league titles with Ajax and PSV. A brief stint at Valencia in 2007 brought Copa del Rey success, but he was sacked after the side finished only two points above the relegation zone in La Liga.

After spells at AZ Alkmaar and Feyenoord, Koeman was appointed by Southampton in 2014 where he was a huge success, guiding the Premier League club to seventh- and sixth-place finishes, which resulted in qualification for the Europa League group stage.

Everton came calling in 2017 but his time at Goodison Park only lasted 16 months, Koeman departing with the club in the bottom three.

But that disappointment was soon forgotten when in February 2018 he was appointed coach of the Dutch national team, who had failed to qualify for the 2018 World Cup. Koeman led the side to the final of the Uefa Nations League and helped them qualify for Euro 2020.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/53827543

4 Likes

Re: "I Need To Speak To Messi" - Koeman by thundafire: 7:34am On Aug 20, 2020
logon599:
This Koeman was sacked by Everton after leaving them in the bottom 3, now appointed to revitalize Barca. I once played Manager Career on FIFA using a small team with zero resources and also the highest difficulty level cos I love challenging myself. But after 2 seasons and I wasn't finding success, I decided to change teams and used Man United with bigger resources. Guess what? The tactical issues I had at the smaller club resurfaced even with all the big players I could buy at Man United.
then it means ur own case is out of this world,then if dey give u real Madrid na 3rd division u go carry them go be dat.

66 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "I Need To Speak To Messi" - Koeman by logon599: 7:35am On Aug 20, 2020
thundafire:
then it means ur own case is out of this world,then if dey give u real Madrid na 3rd division u go carry them go be dat.

grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "I Need To Speak To Messi" - Koeman by Vyzz: 7:56am On Aug 20, 2020
cool

1 Like

Re: "I Need To Speak To Messi" - Koeman by kenzysmith: 7:59am On Aug 20, 2020
barca president be like before we sign u as manager do u solely swear to join us to lick messi ass through out your stay at d club? koman be like yes sir i will. congratulations u got the job

132 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "I Need To Speak To Messi" - Koeman by paulolee(m): 8:59am On Aug 20, 2020
sure, its important to consult the oracle before he starts work...he needs to convince loe to stay jus to make sure that messi is happy playing for his new barca..
we all know that barca board signed koeman but i think indirectly his chances of enjoying his stay or achieving successful tenure lies on messi's hand...
barca is a church and messi is still its god...and dts Y i was laughing those that are even thinking that messi would leave one of the best club in the world..

9 Likes

Re: "I Need To Speak To Messi" - Koeman by paulolee(m): 9:04am On Aug 20, 2020
logon599:
This Koeman was sacked by Everton after leaving them in the bottom 3, now appointed to revitalize Barca.
jokers, haters would always find reason to hate...
whY didnt you talk abt the fact dt he won the copa de rey with valencia for the first time since 1999...
why didnt you talk abt the wonders he did with ajax and psv winning the league with them..
why didn't you talk abt the Wonders he did with Southampton, giving them thier highest ever points and position in epl and left them in uefa league spot for the first time in thier history..
why didnt you mention the amazing works he did in holland by reviving the holland national team??
instead is his Everton failure you picked asif the best coaches like pep, zidane, mou, ferguson and others haven't failed before...
the point is dt the best barca coches for d past 10yrs are enrique and pep and both failed badly from the Start bt still did wonders with barca, pls allow koeman do his work and face ur work..

124 Likes 7 Shares

Re: "I Need To Speak To Messi" - Koeman by phr0nesis(m): 9:31am On Aug 20, 2020
He did well with Netherlands

6 Likes

Re: "I Need To Speak To Messi" - Koeman by topshotnista(m): 9:31am On Aug 20, 2020
Let him go... I Wan see how him go fare for another club

4 Likes

Re: "I Need To Speak To Messi" - Koeman by Orire01(m): 9:31am On Aug 20, 2020
Hmmm

I still sell affordable laptops with free delivery and pay on delivery.

Details on my signature
Re: "I Need To Speak To Messi" - Koeman by Raydos: 9:31am On Aug 20, 2020
I really want Messi to leave barca

I want us to start building the team from the scratch again, Building The team around A 34 year old Messi is Bad, We need young blood!

Koeman shouldn't make a mistake by including Messi in his plan!! Build From the scratch, You might not win A Trophy in your first or maybe second year, But eventually things will fall in place!!

Don't include Messi in your plan KOEMAN!

I remain a Die-Hard Barca fan!!

38 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "I Need To Speak To Messi" - Koeman by Dannybammz: 9:31am On Aug 20, 2020
If you missed Bitcoin, will you still miss tron and other Crypto. tron has caught the eyes of many investors in the past few weeks as it increases in large amount of percentage.

Last week the coin was ₦13, this week coin is sold at ₦18 - ₦20. Next rate may shock you. Don't dull tron, buy it now and hold it. Then sell later when the price is high.

Contact me with the signature to buy your own share of tron now.
Re: "I Need To Speak To Messi" - Koeman by Bria234: 9:32am On Aug 20, 2020
Messi the king

1 Like

Re: "I Need To Speak To Messi" - Koeman by backbone503(m): 9:32am On Aug 20, 2020
One of Barca's problems is that they've so idolized Messi. Building a team around a single individual is usually very catastrophic. Thats why I so like the Bayern team.

46 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "I Need To Speak To Messi" - Koeman by Nobody: 9:32am On Aug 20, 2020
Nonsense and sensational headlines.

Na Ronaldo he suppose go talk to na.

Which Right thinking new manager won't have a heart to heart discussion with his club captain after resuming at a new job?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: "I Need To Speak To Messi" - Koeman by Andrew13: 9:32am On Aug 20, 2020
Speak with him abeg

3 Likes

Re: "I Need To Speak To Messi" - Koeman by Henrydata(m): 9:32am On Aug 20, 2020
What is holding you

Meanwhile check my signature
Re: "I Need To Speak To Messi" - Koeman by Abalado(f): 9:32am On Aug 20, 2020
Waiting you won tell the GOAT.....why not speaking with Ronaldo

1 Like

Re: "I Need To Speak To Messi" - Koeman by Cumtroller: 9:32am On Aug 20, 2020
And suck his cockk while at it. Ass licking weakling of a coach.

Simp Koeman...

2 Likes

Re: "I Need To Speak To Messi" - Koeman by TriCee: 9:32am On Aug 20, 2020
Lol, can you imagine? Are we supposed to help you call him??
Speak to him all you like sir, you're his new boss.
But then, you'll definitely require his services if you must win anything there.

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: "I Need To Speak To Messi" - Koeman by GeneralPula: 9:33am On Aug 20, 2020
Same old pattern..

1 Like

Re: "I Need To Speak To Messi" - Koeman by GeoandSonsHub: 9:33am On Aug 20, 2020
Why
Re: "I Need To Speak To Messi" - Koeman by Image123(m): 9:33am On Aug 20, 2020
thundafire:

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: "I Need To Speak To Messi" - Koeman by Samsimple(m): 9:33am On Aug 20, 2020
Messi is to Barca what oshiomole is to APC
Re: "I Need To Speak To Messi" - Koeman by dinoplus: 9:33am On Aug 20, 2020
Welcome koeman.

I always felt this man was destined for FCB

Re: "I Need To Speak To Messi" - Koeman by Gabe427: 9:34am On Aug 20, 2020
I personally would have gone for a pochettino someone who can build a team

or Allegri who knows how to make a tough call and tell the board to suck their dicks if they ain't in line

But koeman ain't a bad choice.. all the best

Barca now sacking and and appointing coaches like all those bottom premure league clubs grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "I Need To Speak To Messi" - Koeman by rastaLivity: 9:34am On Aug 20, 2020
Of course, he ain’t the GOAT for nothing

11 Likes

Re: "I Need To Speak To Messi" - Koeman by jericco1(m): 9:34am On Aug 20, 2020
If Messi doesn't leave Barcelona, then he is a failure

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "I Need To Speak To Messi" - Koeman by bolaayenimo: 9:34am On Aug 20, 2020
Messi won't listen. He is on his way Arsenal

2 Likes

Re: "I Need To Speak To Messi" - Koeman by Wang1tang: 9:35am On Aug 20, 2020
He has to consult the barca god

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Mourinho: Osimhen Is On The Same Level With Drogba But Needs To Stop Diving / VN88 Rezence, Beware: Karim Benzema's Ballon D'or-winning Form Has Returned! / Professional UFC Fighter Israel Adesanya Speaks Yoruba During Interview

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.