Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,642 members, 7,813,156 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:55 AM

CAMA: FG Says Religious Bodies Must Submit Details Of Their Finances - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / CAMA: FG Says Religious Bodies Must Submit Details Of Their Finances (53873 Views)

BISHOP OYEDEPO: Is CAMA Policy Antichurch? / CAN Rejects CAMA, Says Government Cannot Control Churches / Your Enemies Must Submit-- Read How (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CAMA: FG Says Religious Bodies Must Submit Details Of Their Finances by dheilaw1(m): 7:41pm On Aug 22, 2020
Afolabimills:
This evil govt have just dug it's own grave
will you shut up if you don't have anything reasonable to say

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CAMA: FG Says Religious Bodies Must Submit Details Of Their Finances by Golan007: 7:42pm On Aug 22, 2020
GamalNasser:

Did you even vote ?

You think I'm like you.
Re: CAMA: FG Says Religious Bodies Must Submit Details Of Their Finances by Omooba77: 7:42pm On Aug 22, 2020
One4me:

Dont mind them!

Kaduna Refinery was never audited since inception, it gets 60,000 Barrels of Crude Oil everyday, the Oil disappears and yet the Organisation syill colelcts #64Billion from Govt coffers yearly!

Anyway, l dont have a problem with auditing ANY organisation, as long as the Law is applied EQUALLY to Christian and Islamic Organisations.
We lso awant to know all the funds that Quatar, Saudi Arabia, Iran, etc gives to those Islamic Houses in the North and how/where the Money is spent, not just Churches alone.

This government is hell bent in destroying this country.....

1 Like

Re: CAMA: FG Says Religious Bodies Must Submit Details Of Their Finances by Lamasta(m): 7:43pm On Aug 22, 2020
TonyeBarcanista:
Those against CAMA Amendment are either ill-informed or mischievous.

In sane societies like USA, South Africa, UK, Europe, Australia etc, there are agencies that regulate religious organisations, CSOs and NGOs. Why should Nigeria's be different?

Some people said it is a fight against the church, and I ask, which Church?

If the Bible is right, the Church is the congregation of believers. It is not a building or religious organisation. And believers don't need any formal nomenclature or organisation to worship. The Bible says where two or three are gathered, CHRIST is present. The Bible never said people should establish organisations, neither did the early Christians establish organisations.

Now let's look this....

A man wakes up on a faithful morning, he approaches CAC (Government) to register his organisation, which he names XYZ Church

He lists himself, his wife, Kids or associates as Trustees

He gets certificate from the government to operate...

Yet, he argues with the government that they have no right to regulate the activities of the same organisation that he went to government to register.

He shouts persecution, war against the church and God.

Meanwhile, he is the final authority and CEO in the religious organisation, and won't hesitate to show the exit door to anyone that questions his authority.

The irony is that he abides to similar laws abroad...

As much as I'm not a fan of this administration, I support this CAMA... Although Nigeria politicians are useless

FACT:

FG or any other government cannot regulate the "Church" (congregation of believers). Even the Roman government couldn't regulate the Church.

However, government can only regulate religious organisations (formal organizations) that are registered with the government in line with the constitutional mandate.

The rule is simple, don't register your organisation with government if you don't want to be regulated... Same way you don't register your business and NGO with government if you don't want their regulation...
Detailed explanation thumbs up tho this government led by Buhari cannot be trusted
Re: CAMA: FG Says Religious Bodies Must Submit Details Of Their Finances by Patrioticman007(m): 7:43pm On Aug 22, 2020
Igbochief001:

it's the job of the federal government to protect it's citizens from scammers

Its a fact that Catholic church will not have problems with these new regulations because their audit system is of international standard.

However we know our demi gods in suits will always cry foul play because they hate anything called accountability.

2 Likes

Re: CAMA: FG Says Religious Bodies Must Submit Details Of Their Finances by One4me: 7:43pm On Aug 22, 2020
amaridigital:

But this Churches obey similar or stricter laws oversees. Why are they always against the Nigerian Government yet obey the European, British or American laws? Let us be objective.

It is the DOUBLE STANDARD, which you dont get overseas, that the people are against
Majority of the taxes paid and enforced in the South, are not paid in the North.
Customs works very hard to enforce border closure in the South but go to the North and see how Northerners just import anything they want, without nay hindrance from the Fulani dominated Customs..

Dont compare Overseas with this Nepotistic Buhari Govt at all.

7 Likes

Re: CAMA: FG Says Religious Bodies Must Submit Details Of Their Finances by Nobody: 7:44pm On Aug 22, 2020
ebukajay184:

https://igberetvnews.com/1362094/cama-fg-says-religious-bodies-must-submit-details-finances/

God's word says "let everyone be in subjection to the superior authorities" Romans 13:1

Are those disputing the orders of the government the same people teaching us what's WRITTEN in the Bible or mere Churchgoers? embarassed

1 Like

Re: CAMA: FG Says Religious Bodies Must Submit Details Of Their Finances by asamaigho(m): 7:45pm On Aug 22, 2020
adekolaelect:
Many Nigerians are senseless they couldn't like to pay tax for government that can offer them Roads ,Hospitals and many other things but like contributing for religious Leaders who has nothing to offer them than promising Imaginary Heaven which no one had ever go and come back to tell us how it is. But the noise of these Christians is too much as if the law only applicable to churches only .They will only blame government for everything they lack but failed to Question where they contributed their major hard earn resource to simply because of religious sentiment .

this is a clear attach on the church under d guise of regulations.
a govt dat cant manage the country affair, all of sudden wants to manage d church.

2 Likes

Re: CAMA: FG Says Religious Bodies Must Submit Details Of Their Finances by strenghtt: 7:45pm On Aug 22, 2020
Globad:

The same churches submit to the government in foreign countries
BUT THOSE COUNTRIES HAVE GOOD JUSTICE SYSTEM TO MANAGE THEIR FINANCES AND INFRASTRUCTURE FOR THEIR CITIZENS B4 ATTEMPTING TO MANAGE ACCOUNT OF THE CHURCH WHAT HAS NIGERIA PROVIDED ON GROUND TO ENSURE JUSTICE FOR ALL?

3 Likes

Re: CAMA: FG Says Religious Bodies Must Submit Details Of Their Finances by shadeyinka(m): 7:45pm On Aug 22, 2020
Maximus69:

God's word says "let everyone be in subjection to the superior authorities" Romans 13:1

Are those disputing the orders of the government the same people teaching us what's WRITTEN in the Bible or mere Churchgoers? embarassed
Even when they say everyone must join the military!
Re: CAMA: FG Says Religious Bodies Must Submit Details Of Their Finances by Danniedpastor(m): 7:47pm On Aug 22, 2020
Igbochief001:

na compare your tithe + offering + seeds to your tax ....which is more

government gives u police , cheap University , fairly functioning hospital that can save your life in emergency , ...what do your church provide again ?

See stupid comparison o.
Police that has killed innocent people?
Universities that we still pay heavily to attend ?
And Bros,if it's emergency forget your general hospitals o.
The politicians you are supporting earn huge salaries and still embezzle .

Churches have done for the nation more than what your government have done.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: CAMA: FG Says Religious Bodies Must Submit Details Of Their Finances by ejimatic: 7:48pm On Aug 22, 2020
ebukajay184:

https://igberetvnews.com/1362094/cama-fg-says-religious-bodies-must-submit-details-finances/
What is the business of government with churches? Why auditing their finances? Is this an attempt to pay taxes by the churches? it will be a toothless dog eventually.

1 Like

Re: CAMA: FG Says Religious Bodies Must Submit Details Of Their Finances by jaz(m): 7:48pm On Aug 22, 2020
You sure say you go school, cos ordinary social studies who answer your comment
athaboi:
FG should first manage their finance before looking for who to help
Re: CAMA: FG Says Religious Bodies Must Submit Details Of Their Finances by comradesunday(m): 7:50pm On Aug 22, 2020
Igbochief001:

na compare your tithe + offering + seeds to your tax ....which is more

[b]government gives u police , cheap University , fairly functioning hospital that can save your life in emergency , ...what do your church provide again ?
[/b]

It is a pity that you seems myopic in your response..... what about the resources Nigeria is endowed with? How has the government been able to translate to development?

Do you know that recently, the church is becoming a major employer of labour in Nigeria and the world particularly.

Just look at buildings, infrastructures as well as development the church had spread nationally----- ranging from construction of roads, hospitals, pipe borne waters and even down to schools and orphanage homes,

What has the government really do?

My question is this:
If the government can truly not been able to account for the nation finance, is it the church finance that she can regulate or coordinate?

2 Likes

Re: CAMA: FG Says Religious Bodies Must Submit Details Of Their Finances by Newboss(m): 7:50pm On Aug 22, 2020
Igbochief001:

government is different from buhari ...u don't throw away a child with the dirty water

There's so much ignorance in this country. I wonder if these guys really think.
Re: CAMA: FG Says Religious Bodies Must Submit Details Of Their Finances by jaz(m): 7:50pm On Aug 22, 2020
Govt is not regulating spiritual issues but financial issues. Oga try read to understand before carrying spiritual banner upandan
muykem:
There are some aspects that make sense in the law. I will not like a situation where people will formed NGO include churches and turn it to family business also. However government should understand that spiritual issues is different from physical issues. I therefore suggest that government should not intervene in church affairs except the church is going contrary to its own constitution.
Re: CAMA: FG Says Religious Bodies Must Submit Details Of Their Finances by buzorcharles(m): 7:51pm On Aug 22, 2020
Nice one. When u spend excessively on worldly things, then u need the government to regulate ur cash flow. Mind u the gullible minds, gospel is not expensive. God didn't create money, government did.

2 Likes

Re: CAMA: FG Says Religious Bodies Must Submit Details Of Their Finances by Danniedpastor(m): 7:51pm On Aug 22, 2020
Goke7:

Most nigerian churches do not want to be accountable even to their members parting away with their hard earned resources. Everything is covered using the name of God.

The govt just want these churches to be more accountable

Bros no vex o,
How accountable is the government to the masses that voted them?

I would have supporting this CAMA thing if Nigeria were a working nation.

But, no o
Not This Nigeria and not this government.

3 Likes

Re: CAMA: FG Says Religious Bodies Must Submit Details Of Their Finances by Burruchaga71(m): 7:52pm On Aug 22, 2020
It’s really really good but excluding Roman Catholic Church
Re: CAMA: FG Says Religious Bodies Must Submit Details Of Their Finances by desiredhome: 7:52pm On Aug 22, 2020
athaboi:
FG should first manage their finance before looking for who to help
FG have the right to manage/control the financial report of every organization within it's Constitution
Re: CAMA: FG Says Religious Bodies Must Submit Details Of Their Finances by martineverest(m): 7:52pm On Aug 22, 2020
tope777:
Only the dead sign a devilish bill against God.

...do the math.
but same law exist in us and Europe...slita same law that exempt churches and mosques from paying tax.how come pastors didn't complain about that?
Re: CAMA: FG Says Religious Bodies Must Submit Details Of Their Finances by slowice(m): 7:53pm On Aug 22, 2020
This law is directly targeted at the church and its deliberate. The money churches earn are freely donated by members so I don't think they should be taxed on such earnings except for businesses such as schools etc established by the church.

I know many would argue this and support the government but as a Christian, I stand against it and nothing will change my mind.
Re: CAMA: FG Says Religious Bodies Must Submit Details Of Their Finances by victorazyvictor(m): 7:53pm On Aug 22, 2020
TonyeBarcanista:

In sane societies like USA, South Africa, UK, Europe, Australia etc, there are agencies that regulate religious organisations, CSOs and NGOs. Why should Nigeria's be different?

If the Bible is right, the Church is the congregation of believers. It is not a building or religious organisation. And believers don't need any formal nomenclature or organisation to worship. The Bible says where two or three are gathered, CHRIST is present. The Bible never said people should establish organisations, neither did the early Christians establish organisations.

Now let's look this....

A man wakes up on a faithful morning, he approaches CAC (Government) to register his organisation, which he names XYZ Church

Yet, he argues with the government that they have no right to regulate the activities of the same organisation that he went to government to register.

Meanwhile, he is the final authority and CEO in the religious organisation, and won't hesitate to show the exit door to anyone that questions his authority.

As much as I'm not a fan of this administration, I support this CAMA... Although Nigeria politicians are useless

FACT:

FG or any other government cannot regulate the "Church" (congregation of believers). Even the Roman government couldn't regulate the Church.

However, government can only regulate religious organisations (formal organizations) that are registered with the government in line with the constitutional mandate.

The rule is simple, don't register your organisation with government if you don't want to be regulated... Same way you don't register your business and NGO with government if you don't want their regulation...

This matter is bigger than you.
Just be watching Nigeria, dont just comment.
There is a war going on that mere people can't see or understand, only ghosts sees them.

2 Likes

Re: CAMA: FG Says Religious Bodies Must Submit Details Of Their Finances by Osyxcel(m): 7:53pm On Aug 22, 2020
dingbang:
And yes. Churches must declare their end of year financial statement especially profit before tax cheesy

Churches are Not-for-profits, hence, nothing like PBT. They only have income and expenditure, hence surplus or deficit. Therefore, they can't pay company income tax...

However, churches have to pay other taxes such as personal income tax (for workers earning salary working for the church), withholding tax (for contracts issued by the church), and VAT/Company Income Tax for business ventures owned by the churches, which are separate entities under control of the church...

Most of the big churches pay these taxes.

2 Likes

Re: CAMA: FG Says Religious Bodies Must Submit Details Of Their Finances by BreconHills(m): 7:54pm On Aug 22, 2020
chriskosherbal:
The church will always WIN.

The question is what is the church?
Re: CAMA: FG Says Religious Bodies Must Submit Details Of Their Finances by Tharyor1984(m): 7:54pm On Aug 22, 2020
I imagine why people will say churches or mosque should not pay tax by giving back to the govt from monies they made from peoples title especially in our country where people worship pastors more than God, are they saying money made from churches should only be used by the main pastor (GO) to buy private jet, to built private university that their church members can't avoid and for other private investments. Please naija be wise and let's wake up, don't allow one man to be faking you as a consultant to your won personal God and be using your money to send their stubborn children abroad. Please let them pay tax so that they don't chop your money alone
Re: CAMA: FG Says Religious Bodies Must Submit Details Of Their Finances by backbone503(m): 7:55pm On Aug 22, 2020
CAMA 2020 [and section 839 (1) and (2) in particular been contested by CAN] aims at ensuring probity and accountability in the affairs of charity organizations (which CAN, NGOs, and other faith based organizations are classified as). Why is CAN the only body attacking it?

If for instance, a law is made to jail rapists for life. Why criticize such a law if you have no intention of raping?
Re: CAMA: FG Says Religious Bodies Must Submit Details Of Their Finances by osculatedon(m): 7:57pm On Aug 22, 2020
I must commend your well articulated facts, gullible people are blinded my their religious indoctrination which has made them to lack the ability to think outside the box. Religion has taken us back than we thought and regulating their activities is for our best interest . I rest case

TonyeBarcanista:

Now let's look this....

FACT:

Re: CAMA: FG Says Religious Bodies Must Submit Details Of Their Finances by Nobody: 7:57pm On Aug 22, 2020
shadeyinka:

Even when they say everyone must join the military!

Jesus said "PAY" {Matthew 22:17-21} indicating rules demanding some forms of levy but to join the military in doing what exactly? Matthew 26:52 embarassed
Re: CAMA: FG Says Religious Bodies Must Submit Details Of Their Finances by Openbusiness: 7:57pm On Aug 22, 2020
Kekereekun123:
both parties are theives so nothing concern us. Muslims dont seem to be crying
because they will bully and force their way to get preferential treatment through the back door. Look at Nairaland, for example, you can't comment on a Muslims thread without swearing allegiance to Allah and Mohammed on your profile; BUT Muslims can comment anywhere without swearing allegiance to anybody. Do u know why? They bullied Seun to submission. Don't let d 2019 on this account fool u. Ah b old timer for Nairaland. There was a time here nobody had to swear an oath of allegiance on their profile before commenting on Muslims thread. They bullied their way to have it. Why did Seun yield? Cuz he is a business man and he did it to protect his business. Why will the govt yield for them? Cuz they control majority of govt. It is will be too easy. Even the blind should know that Churches are the main target of CAMA, not Mosques and certainly not Traditionalists and Witch covens spread across this country.

3 Likes

Re: CAMA: FG Says Religious Bodies Must Submit Details Of Their Finances by zoedew: 7:57pm On Aug 22, 2020
Here comes the birth of The Underground Church in Nigeria!! Last day things!!! The government will have control of the Church with time. How else is the Antichrist to exercise his rule!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

14 Things That Are Too Real About Ushers In Nigerian Churches / David Kingleo Elijah: Going To China To 'Destroy Coronavirus' – Nigerian Prophet / Coronavirus: Catholic Church Modifies Worship Mode In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.