Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,751 members, 7,813,471 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:41 PM

23 Year Old Lt. Buhari As Commander Of 2nd Battalion With Gen. Ironsi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 23 Year Old Lt. Buhari As Commander Of 2nd Battalion With Gen. Ironsi (2266 Views)

Ogwu Mozambique: Unknown Gunmen Capture Ebubeagu Commander Of Imo (Pics, Video) / Throwback Photo Of General Buhari In A Heated Discussion With Gen. IBB c.1985 / Nigerian Army Removes Major-General Adeniyi As Commander Operation Lafiya Dole (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

23 Year Old Lt. Buhari As Commander Of 2nd Battalion With Gen. Ironsi by okuta007: 12:48am On Aug 23, 2020
Here is an attached video of Lt. Buhari, just 23 years old and having attended courses at Nigeria Military Training College (which became the NDA in 1964) and other short term courses in Aldershot, UK - standing as a commander of the 2nd Battalion Lagos, with the troops listening to the then Head of State, Maj. Gen. J.T.U. Aguiyi-Ironsi sometime in June 1966.

Ironsi will be killed about 2 months later while visiting Ibadan, Western Nigeria (on July 29, 1966) - when junior officers of Northern origin in the Nigerian Army staged a mutiny against the Ironsi regime. It is pertinent to note that a bunch of these soldiers who were honoring Ironsi in this video were active participants in the military coup that removed Ironsi from power in less than 60 days from when this video was recorded.

Looking at the video, you will see Buhari in 1:04 minutes of this 1:28 minute clip shown below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ9LWdHH2gs

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 23 Year Old Lt. Buhari As Commander Of 2nd Battalion With Gen. Ironsi by TheGiftedOne(m): 12:52am On Aug 23, 2020
Let me officially express my shock that the video of the most shocked president on earth shockingly has no audio. What a shocking video! cry

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 23 Year Old Lt. Buhari As Commander Of 2nd Battalion With Gen. Ironsi by GamalNasser: 12:55am On Aug 23, 2020
Useless then useless now

I am done talking like jamo84

7 Likes

Re: 23 Year Old Lt. Buhari As Commander Of 2nd Battalion With Gen. Ironsi by laiperi: 1:05am On Aug 23, 2020
Ironsi, a soldier's soldier. One of the best Congo vet.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 23 Year Old Lt. Buhari As Commander Of 2nd Battalion With Gen. Ironsi by kingzizzy: 1:32am On Aug 23, 2020
Buhari actively participated in the counter coup, a fact he already confirmed in the past. Its just unfortunate for Ironsi, he was looking for 'one Nigeria', trying to build bridges, hoping to mend fences, but forgot the most important thing of all, that he was an Igbo man and that alone would make power blocs in Nigeria hate him for holding executive power.

When some Igbos talk about 2023 Presidency, I laugh. Its not a bad thing if an Igbo man becomes President of Nigeria, but few ever think what that would result in.

An Igbo President of Nigeria will be the most hated man in Nigeria by the power blocs. Everyday he is power will be undermined, sabotaged and ridiculed. It wont matter how well intentioned he is, just the fact that he is an Igbo man and President, will some people in Nigeria sleepless nights as they try to pull him down.

I pity an Igbo President of Nigeria, what he will go through, he will almost be wishing he was killed after just 6 months like Ironsi.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 23 Year Old Lt. Buhari As Commander Of 2nd Battalion With Gen. Ironsi by dokie: 1:36am On Aug 23, 2020
kingzizzy:
Buhari actively participated in the counter coup, a fact he already confirmed in the past. Its just unfortunate for Ironsi, he was looking for 'one Nigeria', trying to build bridges, hoping to mend fences but forgot the most important thing of all, that he was an Igbo man and that alone would make power blocs in Nigeria hate him for holding executive power.

When some Igbos talk about 2023 Presidency, I laugh. Its not a bad thing if an Igbo man becomes President of Nigeria but few ever think what that would result in.

An Igbo President of Nigeria will be the most hated man in Nigeria by the power blocs. Everyday he is power will be undermined, sabotaged and ridiculed. It wont matter how well intentioned he is, just the fact that he is an Igbo man and President, will some people in Nigeria sleepless nights as they try to pull him down.

I pity an Igbo President of Nigeria, what he will go through, he will almost be wishing he was killed after just 6 months like Ironsi.

Igbo man don't suffer for Nigeria tire.

1 Like

Re: 23 Year Old Lt. Buhari As Commander Of 2nd Battalion With Gen. Ironsi by kingi777: 2:44am On Aug 23, 2020
This is grace. President Buhari started enjoying life at a very young age after secondary school. Since that time till now, government has been taken care of him that he may not know poverty. Free house, cars, training, travelling tours, food etc. Some people are really favoured in life.

4 Likes

Re: 23 Year Old Lt. Buhari As Commander Of 2nd Battalion With Gen. Ironsi by Nobody: 3:25am On Aug 23, 2020
Foolish man
General my foot
Africans just call title like it's beans
That's how one foolish Idi Amin of Uganda called himself Field Marshall
Mtchew
Bunch of crooks

3 Likes

Re: 23 Year Old Lt. Buhari As Commander Of 2nd Battalion With Gen. Ironsi by illicit(m): 5:31am On Aug 23, 2020
And they spoiled d chances for today's 23yr olds
today's 23 year old na WhatsApp admin

3 Likes

Re: 23 Year Old Lt. Buhari As Commander Of 2nd Battalion With Gen. Ironsi by Golan007: 7:48am On Aug 23, 2020
kingi777:
This is grace. President Buhari started enjoying life at a very young age after secondary school. Since that time till now, government has been taken care of him that he may not know poverty. Free house, cars, training, travelling tours, food etc. Some people are really favoured in life.

He worked for it.

Many of his peers died on the field of service, during to failed coup or illness.
Re: 23 Year Old Lt. Buhari As Commander Of 2nd Battalion With Gen. Ironsi by Racoon(m): 7:58am On Aug 23, 2020
Buhari was never the commander of the 2nd Battalion in Ikeja.Lt.Col.Henry Igbobia was the then CO.Buhari was the MTO of the battalion who also participated in the July 29 northern counter coup.

2 Likes

Re: 23 Year Old Lt. Buhari As Commander Of 2nd Battalion With Gen. Ironsi by femi4: 8:37am On Aug 23, 2020
Ironsi the criminal, the brain behind the Igbo coup. Truncated our infant democracy.
Re: 23 Year Old Lt. Buhari As Commander Of 2nd Battalion With Gen. Ironsi by IvarTheBoneless: 9:05am On Aug 23, 2020
femi4:
Ironsi the criminal, the brain behind the Igbo coup. Truncated our infant democracy.

That's why he was ruthlessly dealt with.

The foolish nepotism he was doing emboldened the Hausa/Fulani to do even worse later.
Re: 23 Year Old Lt. Buhari As Commander Of 2nd Battalion With Gen. Ironsi by Nobody: 9:20am On Aug 23, 2020
Buhari was a Lt at 23. But see me here at late twenties trying to reduce my age so I can apply as a recruit.

2 Likes

Re: 23 Year Old Lt. Buhari As Commander Of 2nd Battalion With Gen. Ironsi by okuta007: 7:37am On May 20, 2021
Awol1:
Buhari was a Lt at 23. But see me here at late twenties trying to reduce my age so I can apply as a recruit.

And then he didnt have School Cert oooo - Just 9 F9 flat and he became a Lt at 23. embarassed

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Ndigbo, Please Save Your Region Now Or Never!!! / DSS Kidnapped And Held Us For 20 Days Without Charge- Jewish Film Makers(pic) / Any Party That Fields A Northerner In 2023, Will Lose The Election Before Electi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.