Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,583 members, 7,812,904 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:55 PM

We Are Ready To Resume - CONUA Lecturers Tell FG - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / We Are Ready To Resume - CONUA Lecturers Tell FG (27286 Views)

ASUU Reacts As FG Registers CONUA, NAMDA / FG To Present Certificate Of Registration To CONUA (Breakaway ASUU Faction) / Register Our Union Now, ASUU’s Rival, CONUA Tells FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

We Are Ready To Resume - CONUA Lecturers Tell FG by valentineuwakwe(m): 5:04pm On Aug 26, 2020
Lecturers under the aegis of Congress of University Academics have asked the Federal Government to reopen tertiary institutions in the country.

CONUA is a breakaway faction of the Academic Staff Union of Universities.

CONUA made this known in a press statement on Wednesday after its National Executive Council meeting held in Abuja.

The statement, which was signed by CONUA’s National Coordinator, Niyi Sunmonu, was titled ‘Stop intimidation of CONUA members’.

The lecturers urged FG to reopen universities as soon as possible.

The statement added, “The meeting called on the government to reopen universities as soon as possible as CONUA members are ready to resume work.

“It however added that everything necessary in terms of COVID-19 protocols must be put in place before reopening the universities in order to prevent students and staff from contracting the disease.
CONUA further stated that the education sector cannot continue to stagnate, as it appears that COVID-19 would continue to be a threat and we must, in the circumstance, learn to strive to lead our normal life.

Union thus urged the government to make available everything that can help our universities to resume work as is being done elsewhere in the world.”

CONUA also condemned alleged intimidation and harassment of some of its members by “some university administrations and some other unions within the University”.

The statement added in part, “While saluting those university administrations which held meetings to promote academic staff members during the COVID-19 lockdown, the Union condemned in strong terms those administrations who failed to organise such exercises, despite that several academic staff have been waiting for their promotions for a long time, with some spanning five to ten years.

“The Union received information to the effect that some universities held Senate meetings and Congregation elections but refused to convene any meeting to carry out the promotion of its members, simply because some people threatened that such promotions, if ever announced, will be reversed.

“CONUA leadership felt outraged by such pronouncements and expressed its resolve to support any efforts by university administrations to facilitate the due promotion of academic staff members.”

Source: https://punchng.com/we-are-ready-to-resume-varsity-lecturers-tell-fg/

12 Likes 5 Shares

Re: We Are Ready To Resume - CONUA Lecturers Tell FG by FullnessofJoy: 5:05pm On Aug 26, 2020
No need closing down schools again please. Let them resume.

49 Likes 2 Shares

Re: We Are Ready To Resume - CONUA Lecturers Tell FG by Juliusmomoh: 5:11pm On Aug 26, 2020
The student in me is now remaining 1% ... So make them forget school...

141 Likes 8 Shares

Re: We Are Ready To Resume - CONUA Lecturers Tell FG by mayprince(m): 5:20pm On Aug 26, 2020
Wonderful Union not the self centered ASUU.

The union started in Obafemi Awolowo University and now as Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma, Federal University, Oye Ekiti, Federal University, Lokoja and Kwara State University, Molete, University of Port Harcourt and some others as members.

I hope other universities will refine their academic unionism

mayprince:

CONUA is here to stay and even dominating already.
About 70% of lecturers in OAU are members.

if school resume tomorrow, OAU will be one of the first government uni to open school. ASUU no get influence for that sch again.

GboyegaD:

Both CONUA and ASUU to me are not different.

That said, how would a school like Ife manage the situation considering the class and hostel sizes? Just curious.

mayprince:

It is very possible.

Large class size would have their lectures both physical (it there's need for practical) and online resources. The school WiFi is okay and accessible to students at a friendly price. They should use their easy access wifi to their advantage.

Hostels is not as congested as it was before. The problem here would be squatters which can be dealt with through some measures.

Opening Universities is not rocket science.

Other fast WiFi spots like white house, law, yellow house, ICT and some are okay. Though there would be need for few improvements.

GboyegaD:

Where do we move these squatters to? My last visit to Ife saw many people at the Social Science basement and the wifi was super slow. One major challenge at this time is the IT infrastructure across the country, how do we manage that?

There is a need to reopen the University however, there is also a greater need for caution. ASUU and CONUA should work as a team and not each body struggling to outshine one another.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Are Ready To Resume - CONUA Lecturers Tell FG by Nobody: 5:25pm On Aug 26, 2020
Stay strong teachers and businesses attached to schools.. it's not easy being strong for 7 months.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Are Ready To Resume - CONUA Lecturers Tell FG by Profprom(m): 5:25pm On Aug 26, 2020
As if they care. Where is aluta continua?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Are Ready To Resume - CONUA Lecturers Tell FG by Shellsploit: 5:25pm On Aug 26, 2020
School will resume September 8

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: We Are Ready To Resume - CONUA Lecturers Tell FG by GboyegaD(m): 5:25pm On Aug 26, 2020
We are never united as a country and too many unnecessary unions. Can we scrap them all?

12 Likes

Re: We Are Ready To Resume - CONUA Lecturers Tell FG by MADRINAkay(f): 5:25pm On Aug 26, 2020
Ok
Re: We Are Ready To Resume - CONUA Lecturers Tell FG by PureGoldh(m): 5:25pm On Aug 26, 2020
Good news

2 Likes

Re: We Are Ready To Resume - CONUA Lecturers Tell FG by IamPlato(m): 5:25pm On Aug 26, 2020
Carry On
Re: We Are Ready To Resume - CONUA Lecturers Tell FG by Goldenheart(m): 5:25pm On Aug 26, 2020
The way wey this guys go tax student ehn cry

4 Likes

Re: We Are Ready To Resume - CONUA Lecturers Tell FG by inoki247: 5:25pm On Aug 26, 2020
Goan resume and be teaching people nonsense again....

You guys no see any Vaccines or meds discover for Corona na to open school and start teaching rubbish again dey shack u guys like Ogogoro

28 Likes

Re: We Are Ready To Resume - CONUA Lecturers Tell FG by Hndrrxxx(m): 5:26pm On Aug 26, 2020
Yep ! They are ready of course but sadly this is a country where nothing works cry cry

A rare picture of where things actually working below embarassed

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Are Ready To Resume - CONUA Lecturers Tell FG by chichijas(m): 5:26pm On Aug 26, 2020
please let's resume, so that I can graduate and know my next move.

I wished I had made use of these past four months to work and get some money.

my house rent is about to expire and they keep saying school will start soon.

if by first week of September, no sign of resuming is made, i will just forget school, go find work.

22 Likes

Re: We Are Ready To Resume - CONUA Lecturers Tell FG by OPECINHO: 5:26pm On Aug 26, 2020
K
Re: We Are Ready To Resume - CONUA Lecturers Tell FG by christejames(m): 5:27pm On Aug 26, 2020
This government that despise education should stop proving it further and open all schools for Christ sake.

Just hushing education in the guise of fighting a benign virus (in Nigerian case) because they know nothing about its value. They've balkanised it already.

2 Likes

Re: We Are Ready To Resume - CONUA Lecturers Tell FG by OCTAVO: 5:27pm On Aug 26, 2020
Okay.
Re: We Are Ready To Resume - CONUA Lecturers Tell FG by Baybii: 5:27pm On Aug 26, 2020
Please do so as soon as proper measures have been put in place so that students can graduate and get on with their lives. Times waits for no one, especially in Nigeria.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: We Are Ready To Resume - CONUA Lecturers Tell FG by Esosafun(m): 5:27pm On Aug 26, 2020
Hmm.#THESTUDENTINME.
Re: We Are Ready To Resume - CONUA Lecturers Tell FG by Proffwhyhurry12(m): 5:27pm On Aug 26, 2020
I knew from the beginning that it'll be for their selfish interest.......PROMOTION PRESUMPTION

1 Like 1 Share

Re: We Are Ready To Resume - CONUA Lecturers Tell FG by faithful2911(m): 5:27pm On Aug 26, 2020
Goodluck to them.
Re: We Are Ready To Resume - CONUA Lecturers Tell FG by Dcaliphate(m): 5:27pm On Aug 26, 2020
Ejoor oooo, quick, distance wan kill my relationship.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: We Are Ready To Resume - CONUA Lecturers Tell FG by aseyi24: 5:28pm On Aug 26, 2020
I never get money to pay now
Re: We Are Ready To Resume - CONUA Lecturers Tell FG by Mistakemaker: 5:28pm On Aug 26, 2020
This group is probably out to frustrate ASUU

3 Likes

Re: We Are Ready To Resume - CONUA Lecturers Tell FG by loadedvibes: 5:28pm On Aug 26, 2020
Who see all these ones now go think say.. the get the students best interest at heart. They most likely just miss collecting blocking money.. please nobody should come for me biko
Re: We Are Ready To Resume - CONUA Lecturers Tell FG by Bahamas95(m): 5:28pm On Aug 26, 2020
Abeg make dem resume.

I don tire to stay for house!

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Is On Wikipedia About Prof Bamitale Omole And OAU / I Now Have An Extra Year. So Sad. / Emelife Stella Chinelo Receives Medals And Cash Prizes From University Of Mysore

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.