Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,618 members, 7,809,267 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:02 AM

ASUU Reacts As FG Registers CONUA, NAMDA - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Reacts As FG Registers CONUA, NAMDA (43752 Views)

Court Dismisses ASUU's Objections, Affirms CONUA, NAMDA As Trade Unions / FG To Present Certificate Of Registration To CONUA (Breakaway ASUU Faction) / Register Our Union Now, ASUU’s Rival, CONUA Tells FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU Reacts As FG Registers CONUA, NAMDA by IamDietiesGod: 7:48pm On Oct 04, 2022
The Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU, has said the registration of two new trade unions by the government for academic staff in the university system is inconsequential and does not pose any threat to its existence.

The National President of ASUU, Prof. Emmanuel Osodeke, stated this in a chat with Vanguard while reacting to the registration of the two new unions.

That does not in any way affect us. We are a disciplined and focused union and we know what we are doing and what we are after. Let them register as many unions as they like. That is inconsequential as far as we are concerned. We are not also in any way threatened. The sky is big enough for birds to fly.

“We know our members, we know our strength and we also know what our vision and mission are. Our members are not saboteurs or bootlickers . Our struggle is for a better educational system in the country. If the system is good, all of us will benefit and it is not only ASUU members’ children and wards that are going to benefit from improved funding and the provision of better facilities in our institutions,” he said.

Allegation of complicity in corruption

Osodeke, who also reacted to the allegation by the Presidency that ASUU members are complicit in the corrupt practices in the university system, described such as unfounded.

“As a union, we have been championing transparency and accountability in the university system. That is why we are calling for the adoption of the University Transparency and Accountability Solution, UTAS, as the payment platform in the university system. Those indicted for misappropriating over N100 billion through their IPPIS, are they our members?

“Moreover, one of our demands is that Visitation Panels be set up to probe the activities and the finances of universities in the country. If we don’t want corruption stamped out, we would not be asking for that, ” he explained.

CONUA’ s reaction to registration

In a statement signed by the National Coordinator of CONUA, Dr Niyi Sunmonu, described the registration as monumental and historic.

“The registration of the Congress of University Academics (CONUA), as a trade union in the Nigerian university system, is monumentally historic. The hurdles we have faced to get here, since 2018 when we submitted our application for registration, have been seemingly insurmountable. The registration is therefore the validation of the power of the human will. It asserts the value of courage, initiative, focus, tenacity, patience, forbearance and persistent positive thinking.

“We are immensely grateful to the Honourable Minister of Labour and Employment, Dr. Chris Ngige, and his team of diligent staff for insisting on merit, due process and thoroughness all through the processing of our application for the registration of CONUA. The very strict and dispassionate review of our application brought out the best in the membership of the union.

“We regard the registration of CONUA as a sacred trust, and pledge to reciprocate by devoting ourselves unceasingly to the advancement of university education in this country. We would make the details of our programmes available to the public in due course. For now, we are giving the assurance that we would work to ensure that the nation is not traumatised again by academic union dislocations in the country’s public universities.

“We are also deeply grateful to the numerous personalities and well-wishers whose good counsel and concrete actions have facilitated the success we have witnessed today. We believe in the saying that to whom much is given, much is expected. We would therefore constantly strive to make them all proud of CONUA.

“We appreciate the entire membership of the union for believing in the righteousness of the CONUA cause and for believing in the leadership of the union, and thereby remaining statutorily steadfast, even when disconcerting and demoralising situations arose.

“In this journey, the invaluable role of the media cannot be discounted. We are truly grateful to the media, and look forward to further mutually beneficial interactions as we strive for the development of this nation.

“Above all, we are absolutely grateful to Almighty God for granting us this grace.

“God bless you all.”

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2022/10/breaking-ASUU-reacts-says-fgs-registration-of-conua-namda-inconsequential/

7 Likes

Re: ASUU Reacts As FG Registers CONUA, NAMDA by IamDietiesGod: 7:48pm On Oct 04, 2022
"That does not in any way affect us. We are a disciplined and focused union and we know what we are doing and what we are after. Let them register as many unions as they like. That is inconsequential as far as we are concerned. We are not also in any way threatened. The sky is big enough for birds to fly"

Well, you are not expected to say otherwise

73 Likes 8 Shares

Re: ASUU Reacts As FG Registers CONUA, NAMDA by Winnermindset(f): 7:51pm On Oct 04, 2022
ASUU says no retreat, no surrender.

98 Likes 9 Shares

Re: ASUU Reacts As FG Registers CONUA, NAMDA by Ebubu: 7:57pm On Oct 04, 2022
talk is cheap

just like the tree whose branches are being cut off, saying it doesn’t concern it.

very soon they’ll get to your root and uproot it.
sad

See this one. Lecturers wey dey die of hunger. The female Lecturers amongst them don turn Ashawo. Na one Associate Professor from UNN I dey fukcc nowgrin

64 Likes 6 Shares

Re: ASUU Reacts As FG Registers CONUA, NAMDA by Youngwiz71(m): 7:58pm On Oct 04, 2022
This man is just fooling himself...... Does he really think ASUU will remain strong Just recently I saw one of my lecturers, a Dr for that matter he was a taxi driver(I did not say bolt oo), will such choose to remain with ASUU??..

See hunger is a very powerful weapon, and this evil govt will do all they can to utilize it, like I said before, in war you should know when to retreat, it's not weakness, ASUU should have done that after that last round of discussions in August before they went indefinite....

When the govt ordered the schools to reopen about last week, ASUU said schools can reopen but it's members are on strike, now another association in Conua has been created, just watch the massive exodus that will happen from ASUU to Conua if they refuse to call of their strike....

This govt is evil and wicked, I just hope the discussion of the speaker with Buhari will yield positive results...

85 Likes 6 Shares

Re: ASUU Reacts As FG Registers CONUA, NAMDA by general111(m): 8:00pm On Oct 04, 2022
How did we get here laidis
This divide and rule methodology is madness

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ASUU Reacts As FG Registers CONUA, NAMDA by Maxymilliano(m): 8:10pm On Oct 04, 2022
Buhari is just creating more problems to already existing ones.

Can CONUA call off the strike it didn't declare ?

118 Likes 7 Shares

Re: ASUU Reacts As FG Registers CONUA, NAMDA by Ebubu: 8:15pm On Oct 04, 2022
Maxymilliano:

story. you think many of those junior lecturers hungry since march are still siding ASUU? they will willingly port to CONUA once registration commences, and abandon ASUU that will soon lose license.

74 Likes 4 Shares

Re: ASUU Reacts As FG Registers CONUA, NAMDA by Kessy090: 8:18pm On Oct 04, 2022
Maxymilliano:

CONUA doesn't need to call off any strike, for them to be registered means they've agreed to resume.

ASUU doesn't have a say in CONUA.

Watch how FG will instruct varsities to reopen and CONUA will go back to work.

See how ASUU lecturers will move to CONUA like they're being Swapped as an asset.

wink

78 Likes 4 Shares

Re: ASUU Reacts As FG Registers CONUA, NAMDA by FaceTanke: 8:54pm On Oct 04, 2022
Maxymilliano:

Oh no, u don't get it

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ASUU Reacts As FG Registers CONUA, NAMDA by talk2hb1(m): 9:27pm On Oct 04, 2022
Wahala
Re: ASUU Reacts As FG Registers CONUA, NAMDA by RomanGreen: 9:32pm On Oct 04, 2022
Youngwiz71:
This man is just fooling himself...... Does he really think ASUU will remain strong Just recently I saw one of my lecturers, a Dr for that matter he was a taxi driver(I did not say bolt oo), will such choose to remain with ASUU??..

See hunger is a very powerful weapon, and this evil govt will do all they can to utilize it, like I said before, in war you should know when to retreat, it's not weakness, ASUU should have done that after that last round of discussions in August before they went indefinite....

When the govt ordered the schools to reopen about last week, ASUU said schools can reopen but it's members are on strike, now another association in Conua has been created, just watch the massive exodus that will happen from ASUU to Conua if they refuse to call of their strike....

This govt is evil and wicked, I just hope the discussion of the speaker with Buhari will yield positive results...

Weaponizing hunger is one of the reasons Nigeria and the black race will remain backwards and underdeveloped, the govt clearly knows the tool they want to use to weaken the resolve of the hungry folks amongst ASUU members, I dare say they are just very foolish and stupid to fall for such, they want to enjoy temporarily and suffer permanently.

ASUU remains the group to beat and they are fighting a just cause

135 Likes 7 Shares

Re: ASUU Reacts As FG Registers CONUA, NAMDA by Jman06(m): 9:39pm On Oct 04, 2022
Prof Osodeke and the rest of ASUU leaders are not very wise!

I was supporting ASUU before but withdrew my support when it became obvious that wisdom had taken a back seat in the struggle.

The best thing would have been to obey court order and return to class while negotiation continues.

44 Likes 4 Shares

Re: ASUU Reacts As FG Registers CONUA, NAMDA by SILVERLINES: 10:10pm On Oct 04, 2022
grin

It's alright

We shall see this to the end
Re: ASUU Reacts As FG Registers CONUA, NAMDA by Wilson500: 10:11pm On Oct 04, 2022
Kessy090:

CONUA doesn't need to call off any strike, for them to be registered means they've agreed to resume.

See how ASUU lecturers will move to CONUA like they're being Swapped as an asset.

wink

So las las FG don turn lecturers to sim card
They can now do sim swap grin

42 Likes 4 Shares

Re: ASUU Reacts As FG Registers CONUA, NAMDA by zarathustra(m): 10:36pm On Oct 04, 2022
Kessy090:

wink
and that will make the universities better?

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU Reacts As FG Registers CONUA, NAMDA by zarathustra(m): 10:38pm On Oct 04, 2022
Jman06:

I was supporting ASUU before but withdrew my support when it became obvious that wisdom had taken a back seat in the struggle.

The best thing would have been to obey court order and return to class while negotiation continues.

When nothing has been achieved?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU Reacts As FG Registers CONUA, NAMDA by hope4nigeria(m): 10:58pm On Oct 04, 2022
zarathustra:
When nothing has been achieved?
all the comments against ASUU are Fulani herdsmen Cows, they never see anything good in education so they are rejoicing, now tell me, How do you want buhari who never been to University, even waec result sef he no get. Forget about them

53 Likes 3 Shares

Re: ASUU Reacts As FG Registers CONUA, NAMDA by Graceunlimitedd(m): 11:14pm On Oct 04, 2022
Kessy090:

wink
@ bolded. FG don finally render ASUU useless cheesy

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU Reacts As FG Registers CONUA, NAMDA by Jman06(m): 11:20pm On Oct 04, 2022
zarathustra:
And the universities will become better by going on incessant strikes

No reasonable academic would support the shutting of the universities for 8 months for whatever reason.

47 Likes 3 Shares

Re: ASUU Reacts As FG Registers CONUA, NAMDA by Kessy090: 12:14am On Oct 05, 2022
zarathustra:

No.
But at least let the ones in 300l to final year graduate before any issue emanate.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ASUU Reacts As FG Registers CONUA, NAMDA by Badb0y4lyf(m): 12:30am On Oct 05, 2022
Youngwiz71:

Do you know what academicians are Government trying to play politics with people that impacted knowledge and thought them ABC these are professors in every field politics, Law, religion, Media Etc you name it. the government can never win.
those lecturers will lose noting cos there are jobs waiting for them in any country of their choice

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU Reacts As FG Registers CONUA, NAMDA by Jman06(m): 12:37am On Oct 05, 2022
Badb0y4lyf:

Do you know what academicians are Government trying to play politics with people that impacted knowledge and thought them ABC these are professors in every field politics, Law, religion, Media Etc you name it. the government can never win.
those lecturers will lose noting cos there are jobs waiting for them in any country of their choice
You're delusional!

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU Reacts As FG Registers CONUA, NAMDA by Badb0y4lyf(m): 12:49am On Oct 05, 2022
Jman06:
You're delusional!
I simply speak fact noting to be delusion about money is power tool but it will be hard to influence great minds who are on a course

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Reacts As FG Registers CONUA, NAMDA by Wilson500: 1:13am On Oct 05, 2022
Badb0y4lyf:

You are right, there are jobs for them overseas
But way transport money
You dey expect person way sapa don hold for 7 months to japa....with which money abeg ? undecided

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ASUU Reacts As FG Registers CONUA, NAMDA by Getnewinfo: 3:45am On Oct 05, 2022
RomanGreen:

Weaponizing hunger is one of the reasons Nigeria and the black race will remain backwards and underdeveloped, the govt clearly knows the tool they want to use to weaken the resolve of the hungry folks amongst ASUU members, I dare say they are just very foolish and stupid to fall for such, they want to enjoy temporarily and suffer permanently.

A just cause that has kept students at home for 8 months?

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: ASUU Reacts As FG Registers CONUA, NAMDA by Owologbo(m): 5:24am On Oct 05, 2022
Kessy090:

wink
So what happened when a new government comes in to power
and have disagreement with this ones demands?
Will they even have moral courage to stand their ground? Because the government will threaten them by creating their own faction too.
Federal Universities will soon become FG abandoned project if they don't stop this rubbish now.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ASUU Reacts As FG Registers CONUA, NAMDA by Nosayer: 5:47am On Oct 05, 2022
Jman06:

And in your almighty wisdom, that works in Nigeria right?

A government that refuses to succumb to pressures by strikes, refuses to obey the agreement they signed to, refuses to be pressured by election campaigns, that government will now be benevolent to ASUU members when ASUU members forcefully resume from the strike by obeying court order?

The Nigerian government is just making things more difficult for Nigeria and creating a generational intellectual gap.

Registering new academic unions won't work, it's just a tactic to pressure ASUU the more. You think this government is more tyrannical than Abacha's?

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU Reacts As FG Registers CONUA, NAMDA by shortIGBOman: 6:01am On Oct 05, 2022
RomanGreen:

I know you are either a member of ASUU or one of Peter Obi's supporters. Only these two groups still support ASUU. Cause Nigerians are fully in support of FG. Fvck ASUU

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: ASUU Reacts As FG Registers CONUA, NAMDA by shortIGBOman: 6:05am On Oct 05, 2022
hope4nigeria:
all the comments against ASUU are Fulani herdsmen Cows, they never see anything good in education so they are rejoicing, now tell me, How do you want buhari who never been to University, even waec result sef he no get. Forget about them

But Buhari know book pass Peter Obi and all his IPOB supporters. grin grin

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU Reacts As FG Registers CONUA, NAMDA by shortIGBOman: 6:09am On Oct 05, 2022
Badb0y4lyf:

See this one. Lecturers wey dey die of hunger. The female Lecturers amongst them don turn Ashawo. Na one Associate Professor from UNN I dey fvck now. grin grin

10 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Ned Nwoko's Sports University Of Nigeria Gets FG's License / Babcock University In Pictures / 2013/2014 MUSTE Scholarship (Undergraduate And Postgraduate Students)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.