Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,936 members, 7,817,730 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:12 PM

Ijaw Youths Invade Ondo Village, Kill Five - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ijaw Youths Invade Ondo Village, Kill Five (33701 Views)

Cameroon Invade Nigerian Village, Kill 70 / Oil Platform Fabrication: Ijaw Youths Draw Battle Line / Fulani Herdsmen Invade Nasarawa Village & Kill Scores (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ijaw Youths Invade Ondo Village, Kill Five by Chyz2: 7:23am On Feb 19, 2011
[size=15pt]Ijaw youths invade Ondo village, kill five[/size]

By Sunday Aborisade, Akure

Saturday, 19 Feb 2011

Some irate Ijaw youths suspected to be ex-militants, on Friday evening invaded Iju-Osun in the Irele Local Government Area of Ondo State and burnt parts of the town.

The youths, according to eyewitnesses, killed five people, razed four buildings and kidnapped the monarch, Oba Samuel Oyegbemi.

The Police Public Relations Officer in charge of the state command, Mr. Aremu Adeniran, who confirmed the incident, however said only two lives were lost, while the palace of the monarch and two other houses were torched.

Adeniran confirmed that the monarch, who he described as a very nice man, was abducted by the irate youths.

The police spokesman explained that the Ijaw youths were probably on a revenge mission following the discovery of the body of an ex-militant in Iju-Osun on Thursday.

He explained that the people of Iju-Osun could not account for the death of the ex-militant, hence the invasion of the town by the irate Ijaw youths.

He said, “Security has been beefed up to avert further loss of lives. Our men are there. We are making efforts to release the monarch. The man is good. No report of any clash was recorded before the discovery of the corpse in the town.”

Our correspondent learnt that the invasion of the town by the ex-militant, followed the mysterious death of a middle-aged Ijaw man, identified simply as Samuel in the town.

The man, who was from Arogbo Ijaw in Ese Odo Local Government, according to sources, was a father of one of the militants and had resided at Iju-Osun town for many years.

The son, whose identity could not be ascertained at press time, was said to have contacted his colleagues and in retaliation, arrived in the town on Friday in company with armed youths.

A high chief in the town, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, told reporters on Friday that the militants shot sporadically and later set several houses, including the palace of the Olughogho of Iju –Osun, ablaze.

Eyewitness said residents of neigbouring towns like Ajagba, Akotogbo and other villages in the area had also fled their areas in anticipation of possible invasion by the ex-militants. About six towns in the area have been diserted as residents were said to be taking refuge at Ode-Irele and the state capital.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201102192343195
Re: Ijaw Youths Invade Ondo Village, Kill Five by Chyz2: 7:29am On Feb 19, 2011
You see what nairaland has caused. The Ijaws have now resorted to bullying the yorubas in their own land and have sacked and kidnapped their Oba(king). shocked
Re: Ijaw Youths Invade Ondo Village, Kill Five by Osama10(m): 7:34am On Feb 19, 2011
Na wa oh. shocked
Re: Ijaw Youths Invade Ondo Village, Kill Five by EzeUche2(m): 7:38am On Feb 19, 2011
Interesting turn of events. What will the Odua Nation do now? Is this an act of war against the Yorubas? They are kidnapping your kings!   shocked
Re: Ijaw Youths Invade Ondo Village, Kill Five by ekubear1: 7:39am On Feb 19, 2011
Absolutely shameful. Why did these b@stard townsmen flee?

Chased out of their own town by rabble? To the point where they kidnaps your king?  undecided Wtf is this?

Why didn't they acquire weapons and fight back?

What an embarrassment.

If they are unwilling to defend their lives and property, then I feel no pity if the Ijaw take it away from them.
Re: Ijaw Youths Invade Ondo Village, Kill Five by EzeUche2(m): 7:43am On Feb 19, 2011
^^^

This is definitely embarrassing. A majority group should never run from a minority group. Especially on your home turf.
Re: Ijaw Youths Invade Ondo Village, Kill Five by ekubear1: 7:45am On Feb 19, 2011
Maybe these claims of Yoruba cowardice are true.

Let's see how they respond. Seems to me that a punitive expedition to the town of these militants is in order.
Re: Ijaw Youths Invade Ondo Village, Kill Five by Remii(m): 7:47am On Feb 19, 2011
EzeUche_:

^^^

This is definitely embarrassing. A majority group should never run from a minority group. Especially on your home turf.

when it comes to violence, ijaws are majority in any riverine area, go and ask the itshekiris.
Re: Ijaw Youths Invade Ondo Village, Kill Five by EzeUche2(m): 7:50am On Feb 19, 2011
And Becomrichn wants those people to included in a Benin Republic. All I could do is laugh though. He must not have interacted with those people.  The irony of the situation.
Re: Ijaw Youths Invade Ondo Village, Kill Five by Nobody: 7:52am On Feb 19, 2011
So some people are screaming what would the Odua nation do? As if we should carry guns and blades to fight because some half-baked millitants decided to "invade" Ondo?

What else but to achieve some sort of communication between the two state, whatever the leader can do to curb their criminals. Unlike the Igbo nation, Yorubas do not scream "everybody hates us, so we must start unplanned wars". From the Igbo posters on here, you could tell that they expect a blood thirsty "free for all" killing spree between Ondo and Ijaw ppl, something they (Igbo posters) would enjoy doing to others. Talk notes on their morality issues.

Is it truly a shame? Of? Ondo = Odua nation? Talk about lack of education. Expect this mistake to be diplomatically dealt with. Unlike the very sad situation going on in Jos.
Re: Ijaw Youths Invade Ondo Village, Kill Five by alex101(m): 7:53am On Feb 19, 2011
eku_bear:

[b]Maybe these claims of Yoruba cowardice are true.[/b]Let's see how they respond. Seems to me that a punitive expedition to the town of these militants is in order.

@ the bolded, you are wrong. I'm Igbo and I was born and bred in Lagos. I don't think yorubas are cowards. I just think they take too long to react. This is

I've always tried to convey to my fellow Igbo. Careful and drwan out deliberation is not cowardice to me.

@ all, I think a major battle is looming in Nigeria. In fact, I will call it the mother of all battles.

Fulani expansionists heading south to graze their cattles at all cost.

Then Ijaw 'wahala' in southern nigeria.
Re: Ijaw Youths Invade Ondo Village, Kill Five by EzeUche2(m): 7:54am On Feb 19, 2011
Ileke-Idi,

Your response shows that you do not understand what is happening within this region. However, that is expected of you, because you don't know what you are talking about. Why wouldn't OPC respond?

Maybe you should talk to an Itsekiri about their conflict with the Ijaws.

Maybe you should talk to an Ilaje and ask how they have remained a bulwark of Ijaw expansion.

Sometimes diplomacy does not work with these people, if you haven't realized that. Many people and administrations have tried, none have succeeded. They do not even listen to one of their own, who has the highest position in the land.

They are the most warlike people in the Niger Delta and any Niger Deltan will tell you that.
Re: Ijaw Youths Invade Ondo Village, Kill Five by ekubear1: 7:56am On Feb 19, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

So some people are screaming what would the Odua nation do? As if we should carry guns and blades to fight because some half-baked millitants decided to "invade" Ondo?

Certainly the people of that town and whatever allies they can find had better carry "guns and blades" to do exactly that.

Or are these militants in tanks and jets, or something?  undecided

Take money, buy guns, call up your allies and send a punitive expedition.

If the town doesn't respond at all, then maybe me too one day I'll go pillage it. Especially since they don't seem inclined to offer resistance.
Re: Ijaw Youths Invade Ondo Village, Kill Five by Nobody: 7:57am On Feb 19, 2011
BTW, If this continues, expect Ekiti ppl to intercept. And that would be a grave mistake. We never let go until we get what we're after.

alex101:

@ the bolded, you are wrong. I'm Igbo and I was born and bred in Lagos. I don't think yorubas are cowards. I just think they take too long to react. This is

I've always tried to convey to my fellow Igbo. Careful and drwan out deliberation is not cowardice to me.

@ all, I think a major battle is looming in Nigeria. In fact, I will call it the mother of all battles.

Fulani expansionists heading south to graze their cattles at all cost.

Then Ijaw 'wahala' in southern nigeria.

Took too long to react? Or think about our actions before we react.

I guess the meaning of bravery to some nairalanders is the idea of constant war with other groups. The unconsciousness need to waste millions of lives on a battlefield.
Re: Ijaw Youths Invade Ondo Village, Kill Five by EzeUche2(m): 8:00am On Feb 19, 2011
eku_bear:

Certainly the people of that town and whatever allies they can find had better carry "guns and blades" to do exactly that.

Or are these militants in tanks and jets, or something?  undecided

Take money, buy guns, call up your allies and send a punitive expedition.

If the town doesn't respond at all, then maybe me too one day I'll go pillage it. Especially since they don't seem inclined to offer resistance.

Gbam! Gbam! Gbam!

I see you are a student of Machiavelli. If the response is not swift and strong, the Ijaws militants will be back again and it will spread.

People from other communities who were not being attacked also ran. That does not make sense. I would create a village militia to protect my people and my property. No one would push me off my land.
Re: Ijaw Youths Invade Ondo Village, Kill Five by ekubear1: 8:01am On Feb 19, 2011
@Ileke-IdI:

Wtf does bravery have to do with anything? A man cannot enter your home and slap you without you responding. If you do not respond, he will enter your house and slap you every day. Twice on Sundays.

Yes, take time to plan out exactly how you'll respond, etc, etc. But the town simply has to respond, one way or another.

If you need to invite the OPC to help you out, then do so.

If you need cash for weapons, ask around and I'm sure you'll get it.

But make sure you respond.
Re: Ijaw Youths Invade Ondo Village, Kill Five by Nobody: 8:02am On Feb 19, 2011
EzeUche_:

Ileke-Idi,

Your response shows that you do not understand what is happening within this region. However, that is expected of you, because you don't know what you are talking about. Why wouldn't OPC respond?

Maybe you should talk to an Itsekiri about their conflict with the Ijaws.

Maybe you should talk to an Ilaje and ask how they have remained a bulwark of Ijaw expansion.

Diplomacy does not work with these people, if you haven't realized that. Many people and administrations have tried, none have succeeded. They do not even listen to one of their own, who has the highest position in the land.

They are the most warlike people in the Niger Delta and any Niger Deltan will tell you that.

Look dimwit, I understand that you're in a moment of pure glee and ectasy @ this news.

What you need to understand is that they have no reason to attack Ondo state (which = Odua to you educational misfits), therefore it will eventually spread. . . . and maybe to your region. And plz spare me the crap about that being impossible because of kinship. Kinship sees no recognition at the time of rage.
Re: Ijaw Youths Invade Ondo Village, Kill Five by alex101(m): 8:03am On Feb 19, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

BTW, If this continues, expect Ekiti ppl to intercept. And that would be a grave mistake. We never let until we get what we;re after.

Took too long to react? Or think about our actions before we react.

I guess the meaning of bravery to some nairalanders is the idea of constant war with other groups. The unconsciousness need to waste millions of lives on a battlefield.

I think you misunderstood me. I am not calling for war b/w the yorubas and Ijaws. By 'too long to react' I mean careful deliberation on serious issues.

Believe me, I am for solving problems peacefully, as long as both parties keep to the terms of the agreement.
Re: Ijaw Youths Invade Ondo Village, Kill Five by Nobody: 8:04am On Feb 19, 2011
eku_bear:

@Ileke-IdI:

Wtf does bravery have to do with anything? A man cannot enter your home and slap you without you responding. If you do not respond, he will enter your house and slap you every day. Twice on Sundays.

Yes, take time to plan out exactly how you'll respond, etc, etc. But the town simply has to respond, one way or another.

That post was to educate some NLers calling Yorubas cowards because we dont jump into every thing with a war-mindset. That's what bravery is to them. That's why they'll continue to kill each other in their theatrical region.
Re: Ijaw Youths Invade Ondo Village, Kill Five by Nobody: 8:06am On Feb 19, 2011
alex101:

I think you misunderstood me. I am not calling for war b/w the yorubas and Ijaws. By 'too long to react' I mean careful deliberation on serious issues.

Believe me, I am for solving problems peacefully, as long as both parties keep to the terms of the agreement.

I was not pointing a finger at you, sweety. I read your post clearly.

We're pratically saying the same thing in another language.
Re: Ijaw Youths Invade Ondo Village, Kill Five by EzeUche2(m): 8:08am On Feb 19, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Look dimwit, I understand that you're in a moment of pure glee and ectasy @ this news.

What you need to understand is that they have no reason to attack Ondo state (which = Odua to you educational misfits), therefore it will eventually spread. . . . and maybe to your region. And plz spare me the crap about that being impossible because of kinship. Kinship sees no recognition at the time of rage.

Who said I am happy about this recent turn of events? We Igbos have seen encroachment into our land by them. Some had the audacity to claim Port Harcourt, but Amaechi has taught them a lesson.

You need to understand something. Such matters is not for the weak. Eku is right. A strong response is needed. You don't go into a town and kill five people and not only that, but kidnap a monarch.

Retribution is needed. These militants are pushing furhter west. They already dealt with the Itsekiri. Whose next?

Either way, no biggie for me. They have been contained in Bayelsa.
Re: Ijaw Youths Invade Ondo Village, Kill Five by EzeUche2(m): 8:11am On Feb 19, 2011
Ileke-Idi in her normal tribalistic fashion thinks we Igbos would enjoy such a conflict. No we would not. I don't know why she would insert us into this conflict.

No Igbo person was mentioned in the article. This is between Ijaws and Yorubas. Leave the Igbo out of it you nkita ara.
Re: Ijaw Youths Invade Ondo Village, Kill Five by udezue(m): 8:13am On Feb 19, 2011
Illeke cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin grin grin grin wink wink wink wink wink wink wink smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: Ijaw Youths Invade Ondo Village, Kill Five by Nobody: 8:13am On Feb 19, 2011
EzeUche_:

Who said I am happy about this recent turn of events? We Igbos have seen encroachment into our land by them. Some had the audacity to claim Port Harcourt, but Amaechi has taught them a lesson.

You need to understand something. Such matters is not for the weak. Eku is right. A strong response is needed. You don't go into a town and kill five people and not only that, but kidnap a monarch.

Retribution is needed. These militants are pushing furhter west. They already dealt with the Itsekiri. Whose next?

Either way, no biggie for me. They have been contained in Bayelsa.

Ok, I am going to apologize for the insult, but that's as far as it goes.

But why would they want to go into Ondo, what is the purpose? They need to investigate the people involved.

EzeUche_:

^^^

As for this post, where in the article did they run?

And if they did, wouldnt that be a smart thing to do? You expect unarmed people to run towards armed-intent-on-killing militants? Does that make any sense? You expect them to run towards burning houses?

The logical thing to do is to run clear of it and try to plan the next step. What comes out of an action done without strategy?
Re: Ijaw Youths Invade Ondo Village, Kill Five by Nobody: 8:15am On Feb 19, 2011
EzeUche_:

Ileke-Idi in her normal tribalistic fashion thinks we Igbos would enjoy such a conflict. No we would not. I don't why she would insert us into this conflict.

No Igbo person was mentioned in the article. This is between Ijaws and Yorubas. Leave the Igbo out of it you nkita ara.

Because as expected and proven by posts, only Igbos would be silently ecstatic about this news.

udezue:

Illeke cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin grin grin grin wink wink wink wink wink wink wink smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss

Are you okay?
Re: Ijaw Youths Invade Ondo Village, Kill Five by Becomrichn: 8:16am On Feb 19, 2011
it is a false story. the ijaw did not kill anyone. the newspaper is making up the story.
Re: Ijaw Youths Invade Ondo Village, Kill Five by Chyz2: 8:17am On Feb 19, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Because as expected and proven by posts, only Igbos would be silently ecstatic about this news.

Because that's how you are when the shoes are on the other foot,right?
Re: Ijaw Youths Invade Ondo Village, Kill Five by udezue(m): 8:17am On Feb 19, 2011
Ileke-dikc,            I'm laughing @ your unprovoked attack @ the Igbo like as if we are the ones attacking and sacking ya arses in your own turf. Please direct it towards the Ijo folks pushing westwards jare.

misplaced anger lol. Wetin concern Igbo man? Olodo rabata
Re: Ijaw Youths Invade Ondo Village, Kill Five by EzeUche2(m): 8:18am On Feb 19, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

As for this post, where in the article did they run?

"Eyewitness said residents of neigbouring towns like Ajagba, Akotogbo and other villages in the area had also fled their areas in anticipation of possible invasion by the ex-militants. About six towns in the area have been diserted as residents were said to be taking refuge at Ode-Irele and the state capital."

I hope you know you cannot reason with these people, when oil is involved. I am pretty sure that this area has oil, and when oil is involved and Ijaws are present, it is a very combustible situation.
Re: Ijaw Youths Invade Ondo Village, Kill Five by Nobody: 8:20am On Feb 19, 2011
udezue:

I'm laughing @ your unprovoked attack @ the Igbo like as if we are the ones attacking and sacking ya arses in your own turf. Please direct it towards the Ijo folks pushing westwards jare.

misplaced anger lol. Wetin concern Igbo man? Olodo rabata

Then Igbo man should mind his business no? kiss kiss grin

Chyz*:

Because that's how you are when the shoes are on the other foot,right?
I'm simply an exception.  grin

Becomrichn:

it is a false story. the ijaw did not kill anyone. the newspaper is making up the story.
My boo has spoken. I take your words over anyone's jare

EzeUche_:

"Eyewitness said residents of neigbouring towns like Ajagba, Akotogbo and other villages in the area had also fled their areas in anticipation of possible invasion by the ex-militants. About six towns in the area have been diserted as residents were said to be taking refuge at Ode-Irele and the state capital."

I hope you know you cannot reason with these people, when oil is involved. I am pretty sure that this area has oil, and when oil is involved and Ijaws are present, it is a very combustible situation.

So you telling me running away to plan is not the logical thing to do?
If I'm shooting at you with Ak.47, would you be running towards me?
Re: Ijaw Youths Invade Ondo Village, Kill Five by EzeUche2(m): 8:21am On Feb 19, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

I think my fellow Igbos and I, are trying to show you all that this is what we have been going through in East of the river Niger.

My Ibibio cousins had to resist encroach by Ijaws into their region and the the Igbo sub-groups also have come into conflict with them.

We were hoping for a Eureka moment from our Yoruba brothers and sisters. But you attacked the Igbo for no reason.
Re: Ijaw Youths Invade Ondo Village, Kill Five by Nobody: 8:26am On Feb 19, 2011
EzeUche_:

I think my fellow Igbos and I, are trying to show you all that this is what we have been going through in East of the river Niger.

My Ibibio cousins had to resist encroach by Ijaws into their region and the the Igbo sub-groups also have come into conflict with them.

We were hoping for a Eureka moment from our Yoruba brothers and sisters. But you attacked the Igbo for no reason.

The Ijaws only see that nothing will be done if they continue their attacks in the SE. They know that to prompt reaction, they need to start attacking where it matters. In a few days, you'll be seeing a lot of ish stories.

Anyhoos. . . .they need to continue their riffraff in their region.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25) (Reply)

Boko Haram Commander Who Led Squad To Kidnap Chibok Girls Surrenders (Photo) / Osinbajo Visits Pa Olajide Olabode, Former Awolowo Driver (Video) / Video Of Abayomi Omomuwa Submitting The Lekki Tollgate CCTV Footage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.