Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,860 members, 7,813,937 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:06 PM

Why do Muslims hardly Pray In secular Gatherings? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Why do Muslims hardly Pray In secular Gatherings? (6271 Views)

Do Muslims from Northern Nigeria have native names? / Why Do All Muslims Pray In Arabic?? / Why Do Muslims Face The East When Praying? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why do Muslims hardly Pray In secular Gatherings? by bilms(m): 10:00am On Feb 19, 2011
Assalamualaikum

i have noticed some thing recently, when we are in a gathering of both christian and muslim.

and they call for some one to lead the prayer, the muslim are always scared to lead and when we must, we use arabic langauge such as alfatia, or bismilah inna ataina,

why not calmly pray and express ourself confidently.

1 Like

Re: Why do Muslims hardly Pray In secular Gatherings? by misterh(m): 3:00pm On Feb 20, 2011
maybe a lot of Muslims do not know some basic injunctions in the religion, That is why we still need to do a lot of work on the deen, Any other thing we do on earth is secondary, Allah created us to serve him. He will not ask of how rich we were or how many children we had on the Day of Recompense. Let's work on our knowledge of Islam,

2 Likes

Re: Why do Muslims hardly Pray In secular Gatherings? by deols(f): 7:30pm On Feb 27, 2011
The prophet would say a particular prayer at the beginning of his gatherings nd end dem in some particular way. The system of praying that is done in gatherings in Nigeria today, i think is alien to Muslims.It is different from the way we pray in our homes nd starting to convert that into English nd to suit the purpose of the gathering is a difficult thing in many cases.

I first nd foremost dont agree that we have to do certain things because others do them nd if anyone is finding it hard to pray in English, y not just recite a verse or two in arabic. if u'r mocked for not being able to speak english, ask dem if they can speak arabic too

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why do Muslims hardly Pray In secular Gatherings? by olawalebabs(m): 5:59am On Nov 16, 2011
This is a good topic you have raise, what i see to it is that most muslim do not know how to pray, be it in English or Arabic. We need to start grooming our younger one on this. You will be surprise at the way some people pray in a gathering. May Allah make it right for us.
Re: Why do Muslims hardly Pray In secular Gatherings? by Nobody: 11:05am On Nov 16, 2011
I have actually never been a fan of all these joint praying in mixed gatherings. Most times, when I find myself in coordinating position in a mixed gathering, I don't put opening/closing prayers in program.

In my company, we don't do it. We dont pray to start/close an event, but I remember a departmental retreat we had a couple of years ago and, strangely, prayers were put in agenda and I was the one that did the closing/Muslim prayer. I just blew grammar and ended with faatiha.

When we met in office next week, one of my Christian colleagues asked me, albeit jokingly, that why did I include arabic(faatiha) in my prayers and I told him him why shouldn't I, does he want to recite faatiha in Yoruba or English.

4 Likes

Re: Why do Muslims hardly Pray In secular Gatherings? by Nobody: 7:40pm On Nov 19, 2011
Jarus:

I have actually never been a fan of all these joint praying in mixed gatherings. Most times, when I find myself in coordinating position in a mixed gathering, I don't put opening/closing prayers in program.

In my company, we don't do it. We dont pray to start/close an event, but I remember a departmental retreat we had a couple of years ago and, strangely, prayers were put in agenda and I was the one that did the closing/Muslim prayer. I just blew grammar and ended with faatiha.

When we met in office next week, one of my Christian colleagues asked me, albeit jokingly, that why did I include arabic(faatiha) in my prayers and I told him him why shouldn't I, does he want to recite faatiha in Yoruba or English.

Just like what a friend of mine said, why should we pray in a mixed environment when you clearly know the person besides you, who is of a different religion will never believe in the prayers you going to make, and you also won't believe his either. So, of what importance is such prayers in that environment? Why not just kick roll the whole event and get it over with.

As for me, i believe in no religion. After my colleagues have noted that I don't include neither the names 'Jesus' or 'Alllah' in my prayers, they have stopped calling me to lead such again.

1 Like

Re: Why do Muslims hardly Pray In secular Gatherings? by bilms(m): 5:09pm On Dec 18, 2011
smiley
Re: Why do Muslims hardly Pray In secular Gatherings? by Nobody: 5:12pm On Dec 18, 2011
olawalebab:

This is a good topic you have raise, what i see to it is that most muslim do not know how to pray, be it in English or Arabic. We need to start grooming our younger one on this. You will be surprise at the way some people pray in a gathering. May Allah make it right for us.

this is the real problem. Everything else is just an excuse.
Re: Why do Muslims hardly Pray In secular Gatherings? by Sweetnecta: 12:29am On Dec 19, 2011
everything begins with intention.
a muslim who loves to make salah, if it is not in his intention for Allah, it is for something else.

i will be happy to have the problem that davidylan has seconded, instead of praying with intention of other than Allah.

imagine praying with intention to say trinity. one wonders which of them is accepting and which may reject.

just a thought.
Re: Why do Muslims hardly Pray In secular Gatherings? by Araboy(m): 6:47pm On Dec 19, 2011
Because Yoruba Muslims are losing ground to their counterpart Christians and not bold enough to confront them no wonder

why they are converting to Christianity more than any other African Muslims instead of preaching on this  tiny section you

guys need to step up your game and contain the rampant evangelization of your families through job offers and

intermarriages

1 Like

Re: Why do Muslims hardly Pray In secular Gatherings? by Sweetnecta: 7:53pm On Dec 19, 2011
i hope this boy from arab land is not really an ode, because he should know that Allah will not judge anyone based on tribal identity.

a muslim lost is not just a tribal muslim lost, but lost from the world islamic membership.

many arab royal family members i have met in this western society, could hardly pass for muslim. the women especially.

when you give them salaam, they are timid to reply, even when they are in the security of their own homes.

araboy needs to step to the plate along with us tell all the yemeni, bangladeshi, etc bodega owners to stop selling pork, cigarette, etc, and even the arabs from their big bag of glass smoking things. hypocrisy is worse than plain disbelief.

may Allah help muslims to regard their religion, its ways, manners and culture.

Alhamdulillah that Islam is not for arabs, no one would have wanted it.
Re: Why do Muslims hardly Pray In secular Gatherings? by olawalebabs(m): 8:05pm On Dec 19, 2011
Sweet, you started hard on Araboy but ended it cool, that's good
Re: Why do Muslims hardly Pray In secular Gatherings? by bilms(m): 11:27am On Mar 16, 2012
lol
Re: Why do Muslims hardly Pray In secular Gatherings? by ajideakeem(m): 10:02am On Jan 23, 2016
can some one give us sample of prayer b4 /after d meeting in such mixed gathering.
Re: Why do Muslims hardly Pray In secular Gatherings? by dragnet: 7:55am On Feb 11, 2016
ajideakeem:
can some one give us sample of prayer b4 /after d meeting in such mixed gathering.

opening or closing prayer for programmes is alien to islaam.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Acknowledging Mistakes And Making Amendments When Your Attention Is Called To it / Zakaah On Wealth Earned During The Year / Ways Of Burying The Dead Ones, How Islam Stands Out?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.