Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,736 members, 7,851,537 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 09:55 PM

Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest (2905 Views)

I Believe In PDP, Jonathan, Will Never Join APC – Orubebe / Why I Believe Buhari Plotted And Executed The Bomb Attack On His Own Convoy / Jonathan's Plot To Disunite The Southwest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by Ikengawo: 12:28pm On Feb 21, 2011
eku, i can see imo being wealther then anambra GDP wise

Imo is less ppl more money, anambra is more ppl to divide the money amongst. On top of that Imo state has a VERY high % of it's population living middle or upper class.

You have to consider the fact that desperate unemployed youths don't flood into owerri for jobs, but they do it in onitsha and lagos, so the GDP of these places will be lower

it's like NY's GDP being lower then Conneticut here in america

Imo state has the advantage of a population ready to do business elsewhere but due to culture always seem inclinded to come back, build a nice house and marry

therefore the only ppl left in Imo are extremely wealth established men and their families, the elderly, and school kids.

everyone in between is temporarily elsewhere working a lot of the time.

growing up in Imo state i had a skewed perception of the standard of living in Nigeria because it's not that bad there at all. A lot of the villages look like small towns and there's mansions everywhere, it just get's boring at times.

Igbo culture at times can help negate my theory because igbos are inclined to leave their villages at their poorest and most desperate stage of life and only comeback when they're rich, but have every intention in the world of going back 'home' (which is specifically their ancestoral village)

yorubas, as another person above me said, can easily see Lagos as 'home' when they're from Ekiti or Ondo, so theres a stronger draining effect on them because the chances of reinvesting the money you made in Lagos back in your home state are lower.
Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by scholes0(m): 12:30pm On Feb 21, 2011
^^ Good response!!!

That is what I am talking about, Backing up opinions with credible sources,
As everyone can clearly see now, The SW, even withlout Lagos still Thumps the SE in Total Economic size {In terms of GDP}, Income per head{In terms of GDP per capita} Total population, Even distribution of people, AKA Population density,
So, can someone else take the effort of explaining to me the basis of the title of this ''Fake ass'' thread?
Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by Ikengawo: 12:34pm On Feb 21, 2011
the best way to spread the wealth of 1 area to another is transportation.

with the spread being stronger based on the capacity your transport method can carry
(the ocean can carry more cargo and ppl then a rail road, a rail road more then a subway and so forth)

so DREDGING THE NIGER RIVER
connecting Nigeria by rail and road
and building super highways from east nigeria to east africa north nigeria to north africa and western nigeria to west africa

will be Nigeria's quickest means of aquiring first world development because it will give us a comparative advantage over all of africa.
Nigeria will be to africa what Lagos is to Nigeria if this is done and growth will explode even if the government is still corrupt.

a dredgeding project would give several states that same access to the sea Port Harcourt and Lagos monopolize in and will therefore see several port harcourts and lagos' arise out of the influx of private investment that is only economically natural
Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by ekubear1: 12:35pm On Feb 21, 2011
scholes0:

^^ Good response!!!

That is what I am talking about,  Backing up opinions with credible sources, 
As everyone can clearly see now, The SW, even withlout Lagos still Thumps the SE in Total Economic size {In terms of GDP}, Income per head{In terms of GDP per capita} Total population, Even distribution of people, AKA Population density,
So, can someone else take the effort of explaining to me the basis of the title of this ''Fake backside'' thread?

Dude. . . SW Nigeria still sucks @ss. Even if we are doing better than the SE, is that really so impressive?  undecided We aren't doing as well as Brazil or China. Or South Africa. Or Libya. Or Egypt  undecided

We cannot afford to rest at all. Look at Singapore which we were ahead of the 1960s and are now behind. Palm Oil which was a big business in the SW and Nigeria, now Malaysia is the leader (iirc).

Still a lot of work to be done, bruh.
Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by scholes0(m): 12:36pm On Feb 21, 2011
@Ikengawo, But what that person above u said is factually an opinion, and not something That is true by all means,,
He said it, dosent make it true.
I for example wouldnt see Lagos as home, even after 20 years of living there, And I bel;ieve this applies to many other Yoruba too.
U think If this was the case, Lagos wouldnt have been Run over by Migrating Yoruba peeps? Ogun and Oyo states are just near the corner, and even places like Kwara aren't too far away either.
smiley
Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by ekubear1: 12:40pm On Feb 21, 2011
One thing I'd like us do more in the SW is to move north. Especially to Abuja.

We have to be relentless in pursuing profit anywhere in Nigeria, or the world period. I feel that there are a lot of opportunities in northern nigeria which are not being taken advantage of fully. Yes, there are risks (especially security), but also great rewards.

This is one thing about the Igboman I've always admired. . . his willingness to move anywhere to make money.
Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by scholes0(m): 12:41pm On Feb 21, 2011
[QUOTE]
Dude. . . SW Nigeria still sucks @ss. Even if we are doing better than the SE, is that really so impressive?  Undecided We aren't doing as well as Brazil or China. Or South Africa. Or Libya. Or Egypt  Undecided

We cannot afford to rest at all. Look at Singapore which we were ahead of the 1960s and are now behind. Palm Oil which was a big business in the SW and Nigeria, now Malaysia is the leader (iirc).

Still a lot of work to be done, bruh.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I know my brother, I understand these things, and I know we suck real bad.
And that is why True Federalism is the solution to this Tumourous problem of One Nigerian Region holding down the True potential of another.
If that was the case, Everybody, I beloieve would benefit.
Igbo people would find the incentives of investing more in their regions,{Same for many other groups}.
Let every group have their semi-aautonomous regions and government, with Individual provincial capitals--Anyway, I would like to hear your I dea on that
Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by KnowAll(m): 12:45pm On Feb 21, 2011
Contrary to popular belief Ibadan is actually the town to live, I have mixed with several Yoruba’s who live in London, many of them who grew up in Lagos b4 sojourning abroad said they would re-locate to Ibadan rather than Lagos obviously if they come to a bit of money they might consider other cities and that includes Lagos.

Lagos is over-priced and I belief for many people it is better u live in Ibadan than live in Agege, Ijaiye and Ottah. How many talking can afford Eko Atlantic City if it comes on-board. It would just be like Banana Island.

You can easily open a little cottage industry for less than N2 million in Ibadan and benefit from it.
Yorubawood a subsidiary to Nollywood is HQed  in Ibadan. Despite the lack of substantial investment in Ibadan since this civilian dispensation, Ibadan has still managed to punch above her weight.
Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by fstranger3(m): 12:45pm On Feb 21, 2011
@EKU

Thanks for your post as usual. At least, er are able to clear some misconceived assumptions and innuendos.

That said, it would be interesting to see how Kwara fares as well.

Do you mind posting the full table, i really do want to see how Lagos compares with Kano and Kaduna

Thanks!
Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by ekubear1: 1:06pm On Feb 21, 2011
fstranger3:

@EKU

Thanks for your post as usual. At least, er are able to clear some misconceived assumptions and innuendos.

That said, it would be interesting to see how Kwara fares as well.

Do you mind posting the full table, i really do want to see how Lagos compares with Kano and Kaduna

Thanks!

Kwara is doing OK relative to the other states in Nigeria, especially those in the North. Kogi (the western part of which is a Yorubaland) only at 1400.
Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by fstranger3(m): 1:12pm On Feb 21, 2011
^
Thanks!
Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by scholes0(m): 1:29pm On Feb 21, 2011
^^ Oh my Gee, I would never have imagined Enugu {The state} To be that low,
I think the reasons for this is because Enugu is the only viable city in the entire state ,and other areas are pretty much Villages NO??
Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by fstranger3(m): 1:34pm On Feb 21, 2011
^^^

It puts everything in perspective. This thread ought to be stickied seriously
Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by ekubear1: 1:37pm On Feb 21, 2011
KnowAll:

Contrary to popular belief Ibadan is actually the town to live, I have mixed with several Yoruba’s who live in London, many of them who grew up in Lagos b4 sojourning abroad said they would re-locate to Ibadan rather than Lagos obviously if they come to a bit of money they might consider other cities and that includes Lagos.

Lagos is over-priced and I belief for many people it is better u live in Ibadan than live in Agege, Ijaiye and Ottah. How many talking can afford Eko Atlantic City if it comes on-board. It would just be like Banana Island.

You can easily open a little cottage industry for less than N2 million in Ibadan and benefit from it.
Yorubawood a subsidiary to Nollywood is HQed  in Ibadan. Despite the lack of substantial investment in Ibadan since this civilian dispensation, Ibadan has still managed to punch above her weight.

I agree with this. I sort of want to move back to Nigeria one day and start a tech company. I'll probably have to have an office in Lagos, but I'd try to do the bulk of the work in Ibadan, if possible. Just a cheaper place to live.
Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by fstranger3(m): 1:41pm On Feb 21, 2011
eku_bear:

I agree with this. I sort of want to move back to Nigeria one day and start a tech company. I'll probably have to have an office in Lagos, but I'd try to do the bulk of the work in Ibadan, if possible. Just a cheaper place to live.

From your own perspective, what makes Ibadan more suitable than Ekiti?

Other than its closeness to lagos, I see no difference btw Ibadan and Ekiti, If it was me, I'd rather set up in Otta than Ibadan
Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by ekubear1: 1:45pm On Feb 21, 2011
fstranger3:

From your own perspective, what makes Ibadan more suitable than Ekiti?

Other than its closeness to lagos, I see no difference btw Ibadan and Ekiti, If it was me, I'd rather set up in Otta than Ibadan

Ibadan is a huge market. Great university nearby (U of I), so I can find good employees. Less commute time to Lagos. Cheap.

What do you like so much about Otta?
Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by ekubear1: 1:49pm On Feb 21, 2011
Hrm, Otta is pretty intriguing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ota,_Nigeria

This too: http://www.shell.com.ng/home/content/nga/products_services/solutions_for_businesses/natural_gas/

Pipelined NG runs through Otta. So ideal place for starting a manufacturing plant, or any sort of electricity intensive business.

Very interesting. So maybe that is the place to be.
Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by fstranger3(m): 1:53pm On Feb 21, 2011
eku_bear:

Ibadan is a huge market. Great university nearby (U of I), so I can find good employees. Less commute time to Lagos. Cheap.

What do you like so much about Otta?

Yeah, but the density is low as you alluded to.

Great University? Well, that makes Ife even a more better place to set-up because in addition to finding good employees, standard of living is incredibly slow. Same can be said about Otta, proximity to Lagos, with great access to Unilag, YabaTech, Lasu and maybe OSU, and to some extent UI so the quality of employees would be on par with what you will get in Ibadan, and its also cheap as well
Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by scholes0(m): 2:10pm On Feb 21, 2011
How reliable are the figures posted above, Because according to it, Income per head in Anambra state is lower that that of a state like Osun, Which I find funny, ?
Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by fstranger3(m): 2:16pm On Feb 21, 2011
^^^ Why is that difficult to accept?

Anambra has more people than Osun
Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by ekubear1: 2:23pm On Feb 21, 2011
I dunno whether the GDP/state figures are accurate, tbh. . . #s seems a bit odd. But I don't have any better data. If someone has a better reference, please post.
Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by Kilode1: 2:45pm On Feb 21, 2011
scholes0:

How reliable are the figures posted above, Because according to it, Income per head in Anambra state is lower that that of a state like Osun, Which I find funny, ?

It may seem surprising, but I'm guessing Agriculture might be a huge factor.

Folks who stay back in those SW villages are heavily invested in cash crop agriculture rather than in trading like we have in parts of the SE. not sure how it factors exactly.

Kolanut in Oyo and large parts of Osun and Ondo practically feed the Kolanut needs of the North and across Nigeria.

Cocoa export in Ondo(largest Nigerian producer), Osun, Ekiti, Ogun.

Timber/wood export around the Ondo and Edo/Delta-Sapele Axis and in parts of the South East too.

I'm not sure how much of the informal sector and Agriculture eku's stat took into consideration. I will check better when I get a minute.

It's a shame to us all really. SE, SW, NE, NC, SS,  NW. The potential is there but as Eku, Missy and the OP pointed out, it's just concentrated in very few places.
Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by Obiagu1(m): 3:05pm On Feb 21, 2011
One funny thing I've noticed is that when calculation per capita in Nigeria, the economists always used GDP(PPP) rather than just GDP.
Nigeria is one country and should use only GDP in calculating per capita.
Using PPP gives room for bias and how they arrived at that PPP adjustment is subject to debate because it is very relative.

There's no way in hell the GDP of Anambra will be that low when you compare the volume of goods that moves in and out of that state to other states.
Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by seanet02: 3:29pm On Feb 21, 2011
o sad we have a very set of irresponsible leaders in Nigeria, imagine if have the onus to develop the Bitumen of Ondo state reputed to be the second largest deposit probably after venezuela,, we would reduce the cost of our roads, the plastics industry will gain and a whole lot of advantages it will bring to the nation. But alas, its the other way round
Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by kodewrita(m): 3:47pm On Feb 21, 2011
I grew up in Osun state and I can tell you that the Lagos Pull is real. It even seems unthinkable that you would have a "Head office" in osogbo when Lagos is right there.

My entire class graduated from university and Headed straight for lagos. Those without homes there shacked up with family & friends.

Yours truly was saved by providence from doing that (though a cushy job was also waiting there but a cushier one saved my butt).

It is the truth.

@fstranger3 @seanet mo n gbadun ija ti e n ba ara yin ja kaa kiri. oko ati iyawo ni yin ni abi bawo.
Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by seanet02: 4:01pm On Feb 21, 2011
kodewrita:

I grew up in Osun state and I can tell you that the Lagos Pull is real. It even seems unthinkable that you would have a "Head office" in osogbo when Lagos is right there.

My entire class graduated from university and Headed straight for lagos. Those without homes there shacked up with family & friends.

Yours truly was saved by providence from doing that (though a cushy job was also waiting there but a cushier one saved my butt).

It is the truth.

@fstranger3 @seanet mo n gbadun ija ti e n ba ara yin ja kaa kiri. oko ati iyawo ni yin ni abi bawo.
Ema da fstranger lohun jare, ofe ma ba mi du aisha2 ni, igba tiyen wa sofun pe ohun ti ni oko ati wipe emi ni oko ohun o wa fe la ori e tio gbo tele mo ogiri. Fstranger, Omo to n ku le lori Iyara mi lo sun, aisha2 ton ku le lori iyara mi lo sun. Mu he he
Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by seanet02: 4:18pm On Feb 21, 2011
Kilode?!:

It may seem surprising, but I'm guessing Agriculture might be a huge factor.

Folks who stay back in those SW villages are heavily invested in cash crop agriculture rather than in trading like we have in parts of the SE. not sure how it factors exactly.

Kolanut in OYO and large parts of Osun and Ondo practically feed the Kolanut needs of the North and across Nigeria.

Cocoa export in Ondo(largest Nigerian producer), Osun, Ekiti, Ogun.

Timber/wood export around the Ondo and Edo/Delta-Sapele Axis and in parts of the South East too.

I'm not sure how much of the informal sector and Agriculture eku's stat took into consideration. I will check better when I get a minute.

It's a shame to us all really. SE, SW, NE, NC, SS,  NW. The potential is there but as Eku, Missy and the OP pointed out, it's just concentrated in very few places.

i will recommend you edit this post because the last time i checked though OGUN state is the largest produces of Kolanut in The Whole Nigeria, producing as much as 82 percent of the total production of Nigeria. To the best of my knowledge, OGUN state is now more industrialized than OYO state considering the vast rate of industrialization at Ota and Sango Ota with the Agbara industrial estate almost equaling the Ikeja industrial estate in terms of functioning industries though the later still has an upper hand. The proximity of Ota to Lagos is now giving some advantages to it as some companies have moved some parts of their industries to there. Notable companies like Nestle are already relishing the proximity of OGUN to Lagos in siting some of their industries.
Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by Kilode1: 4:48pm On Feb 21, 2011
^^ Yes. No wahala, you can add Ogun State to it. That was more of an omission. SW states have the Kolanut thing down.

Like I pointed out earlier, It's not set in stone. I was simply guessing why the PPP compared to some other states might be due to cash crop production in Osun.
Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by excanny: 4:50pm On Feb 21, 2011
@Eku-bear

Do you even know the meaning of tribalism? Did I attack any group?

Anyway, the point I was trying to get across can not easily be deciphered from this topic here, and as such, seem too philosophical for you to grasp. But those insightful enough understand what I was infering.

BTW, I'm not really in the thread. I've got bigger issues bothering me than what is going on in the SW.
Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by scholes0(m): 6:47pm On Feb 21, 2011
^^And who cares whyat business it might be that u are getting around with undecided undecided
Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by ekubear1: 9:32pm On Feb 21, 2011
excanny:

@Eku-bear

Do you even know the meaning of tribalism? Did I attack any group?
Come on now. Insinuation is enough. Or can you only be called out if you say something explicitly?

Anyway, the point I was trying to get across can not easily be deciphered from this topic here, and as such, seem too philosophical for you to grasp. But those insightful enough understand what I was infering.
Lol. As if there is anything YOU could ever say in your life that is too complex for me to understand.
Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by Missy85(f): 10:20pm On Feb 21, 2011
Eku, just been busy, but all is well. Hope you're cool too.

In my view, over the next 25 yrs or so, Ogun state will prob emerge as the most industrialised in Nigeria, for obvious reasons inc. proximity to Lagos & Ibadan.

However, Ibadan needs not throw in the towel.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ring Road: Changing The Face Of Ibadan City / Osun 2014, Why Omisore May Emerge Victorious / Funny Pictures Of Obasanjo.... The Man Of The Month.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.