Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,897 members, 7,814,034 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:33 AM

Movie Conundrums. - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Movie Conundrums. (12079 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Movie Conundrums. by vescucci(m): 10:29pm On Feb 21, 2011
This is the one for me and you, JK (and the general public of course tongue). The idea is to pick a movie that is 'confusing' and make it less so. Or we can just compare notes on awesome movies and heighten the experience, so to speak.

Your ball.
Re: Movie Conundrums. by justkunmi(m): 5:00pm On Feb 22, 2011
grin. . Just saw this actually. . nice one boss!

Woulda started with Inception, but I/we have trashed it all out in the movie club thread. .

These movies I term confusing.
Momento
Fight Club
Primer
12 Monkeys
Revolver
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Burn After Reading
Inception

Vesc. I know 'Fight Club is close to your heart tongue. . .so we roll?
Re: Movie Conundrums. by obinna5000(m): 5:27pm On Feb 22, 2011
Brazil (1985) tongue
Ghost in a Shell (1995)
Blade Runner (1982) cool
Memento (2000) Christopher Nolan!! What more can I say. grin cool
Mulholland Drive (2001) Na wa for this David Lynch man sef. undecided
2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) You have to be really really patient with this one. undecided cheesy
Inception (2010) Christopher Nolan again! shocked cool
Re: Movie Conundrums. by vescucci(m): 5:37pm On Feb 22, 2011
Actually I saw Inception again and noticed something at the end I missed before. I have a feeling this will be a fairly close knit thread. Let's get Inception outta the way first, shall we?

Nice list, Obi.
Re: Movie Conundrums. by ijawgirl: 6:01pm On Feb 22, 2011
this thread aint for me----I dont watch movies that give me headache
Re: Movie Conundrums. by Nobody: 6:07pm On Feb 22, 2011
hurray. Guys pls lets begin with INCEPTION.
MEMENTO
VANILLA SKY
12 MONKEYS
USUAL SUSPECTS
etc.
Re: Movie Conundrums. by vescucci(m): 6:17pm On Feb 22, 2011
Lol. Ijaw girl, headaches are good na. It proves there's something up there. It's the heat generated from all the heavy machinery
Re: Movie Conundrums. by obinna5000(m): 6:33pm On Feb 22, 2011
12 Monkeys (1995) was weird. At least its better than Brazil (1985).

the list continues:
Donnie Darko (2001)  undecided
Eraserhead (1977) David Lynch!!  undecided  lipsrsealed
A Clockwork Orange (1971) Stanley Kubrick is a legend in making weird movies.  shocked
Shutter Island (2010)

I'll be checking out "Vanilla Sky" soon. **rushes to store to buy headache pills**
Re: Movie Conundrums. by vescucci(m): 6:41pm On Feb 22, 2011
Ach. Well, Inception it is then. But how do we take care of choosing films to talk about afterwards. And how do we know when we've talked enough?

Assuming all else in Inception is clear or as clear as can be, I noticed Leo's totem was still spinning at the end of the film. He didn't wait to pick it up before he went to play with his kids. This means he's still in a dream. But the question is why?
Re: Movie Conundrums. by ijawgirl: 10:18pm On Feb 22, 2011
vescucci:

Lol. Ijaw girl, headaches are good na. It proves there's something up there. It's the heat generated from all the heavy machinery

movies- time to relax**inception wuz enough 4 me
Re: Movie Conundrums. by ijawgirl: 10:19pm On Feb 22, 2011
Vanilla Sky-- aint that difficult to understand
Re: Movie Conundrums. by tollu: 12:07am On Feb 23, 2011
obinna5000:

the list continues:
Donnie Darko (2001) undecided

THAT! especially undecided
Re: Movie Conundrums. by justkunmi(m): 1:05pm On Feb 24, 2011
vesc. .
finally! You agree with me. I told you Nolan deliberately ended the movie before we could see if the totem stopped spinning or not. My money is on the fact that the whole end was a dream.

If you also remember me saying that we only saw the children's backs when they're playing. and they wore the same clothes every time we saw them. It all goes to show that the children are not real.

As far as we know, the whole movie could have been a dream.

chei. . you just made me want to see the movie again. grin
Re: Movie Conundrums. by vescucci(m): 5:34pm On Feb 24, 2011
Yeah, I agree with you. His totem was spinning for way too long for it too be natural. What I don't get is what's the point if everything is a dream? It leaves a lot to the viewer's interpretation.
Re: Movie Conundrums. by justkunmi(m): 5:43pm On Feb 24, 2011
Thats the beauty of it all. . if its all a dream. And lemme say this, it is not compulsory to have a point!. grin

One thing I keep stressing is Nolan's deliberate attempt to confuse us and let our minds think in different directions. and he has succeded.
And i keep asking this question. . . what was our (the viewer) totem?
How do we keep track of what's real and what's a dream?
Re: Movie Conundrums. by vescucci(m): 6:20pm On Feb 24, 2011
Yeah, we had no totem and even if we did, it could be fake like our friend's. I was even thinking, when Ellen Page was being inducted, what if you get tricked to find a totem while in a dream's dream thinking you were only in a dream. Evil I tells ya. The film is awesome like that. Let's do one of yours next.
Re: Movie Conundrums. by justkunmi(m): 8:44am On Feb 25, 2011
Evil. . grin
And remember a scene after Leo and his crew tried getting the info from some guy, Leo went to the bathroom, splashed some water on his face and brought out his totem to spin. . .to see if he was in a dream or not. . But sadly/happily, he was interrupted and he quickly hid the totem. .
My guess is, that was all a dream. .

Mad stuff I tell ya. . grin

Have you seen 12 Monkeys? I dont understand that movie till tomorrow. Only JeSoul does.
If you havent seen it, lets do Fight Club. .

I'm loving this thread. .(Y)
Re: Movie Conundrums. by vescucci(m): 9:30am On Feb 25, 2011
They'll soon be awarding degrees on the study of Inception. Besides it's only his totem that was always being referred to, never others. Anyways, case closed. We all agree that everything centres around the totem(s).

I've seen 12 Monkeys but so so long ago I don't remember much of it. Let's do Fight Club.
Re: Movie Conundrums. by justkunmi(m): 12:59pm On Feb 25, 2011
Fight Club. . .Let's roll. wink

I love and hate this movie. For the exact same reason. . .It confused me.
I'll try to write what I remember. Here goes.

Jack is a disturbed individual, who suffers from insomnia. he sees a doctor, who tells him to visit a support group to see what pain really was. he finds an ability to sleep after going to these support groups, often of which he ends up crying to relieve stress from a common office job, common apartment, and a dull, bland, life. A girl makes an appearance at one of the support groups for males only- so she is clearly what Jack calls a fake cos he's also a fake. He finds that he can not enjoy the support groups knowing that she's there faking along with him. Eventually, he confronts her and they work out a temporary solution- which ultimately ends up failing.

Then he meets some guy after his apartment burns. .they fought and the fight club was formed. Other disturbed men started to join.

Something in this movie threw me away. .and i cant place my finger on it. But it mos def isnt your regular movie cos its theme is dark.
It borders around real and unreal. Fake and truth. Like Jack had a multiple personality of some sort. The dude he fought with to start the fight club was actually himself.

I remember a scene towards the end where the other dude was ready to explode buildings while he watched. Jack realizes that the other guy was actually him and nothing more than an apparition or split personality. He ends up putting a gun inside his mouth and pulling the trigger, only to still live and realize that the other dude is gone. He then wakes up in a mental hospital.

I'm still confused as to what it all means tho. . The end didn't even try to make me any less confused. . sad

Your take. .
Re: Movie Conundrums. by obinna5000(m): 1:16pm On Feb 25, 2011
A friend of mine told me a film called PRIMER is more complicated than INCEPTION.
I'll go and check it out.
Re: Movie Conundrums. by pkasso(m): 5:57pm On Feb 25, 2011
Memento certainly fits in this list !
Re: Movie Conundrums. by vescucci(m): 6:19pm On Feb 25, 2011
I saw Memento again recently so I can take that one apart limb after limb.

Fight Club has been a while. The following can be safely assumed: Norton is real. Brad is unreal. Every other person (and their actions) may or may not be real.

It's been a while I saw it last, so I'm gonna be rusty. I think the whole film is the accelerating descent of a man from eccentricity to full fledged psychosis.

Norton's character indeed had MPD and he definitely hallucinates almost all the time. He occasionally is confronted with a paradox and he regains a brief semblance of sanity before going back down under. His pulling the trigger but not dying in the end is psycho-banishment of Brad's character. What I'm not sure of at the moment is if there really is a Fight Club or it's all in his head. Cuz there's a fail safe mechanism of never talking about Fight Club. Anyways, Brad's character is what Norton's character's psyche thinks he ought to be. The psyche only went and externalized it and brought hell upon our man. I can't remember but I think there was some drug abuse? Psychedelic drugs like LSD perhaps?
Re: Movie Conundrums. by justkunmi(m): 7:02pm On Feb 25, 2011
The movie tends to go very deep into the real reason man is. Its beyond MPD, it goes more into explaining things about man himself.
(I hope im not going over board)
I think Brad created Norton, or the reverse, so that the latter can do what the former couldnt or was afraid to do.

I remember a scene where Brad/Norton went into a store with a gun and threatened to come back to shoot the store attendant if he didnt pursue his dreams of going to school and making something of his life.
Also, the scene where Norton/Brad was driving really fast on a rainy night (not sure if it was raining) and one was telling the other to slow down, and he told him to stop being afraid. That death was only a fear mechanism that slowed people down. .

So I think the movie was tryin to show a man who created another personality to live out his fantasies. :blowing buildings up, drawing blood from another man. .

Jus 2 cents tho.

I'm very very unfamiliar with Momento. But wld be glad to read what you've got on it.
Re: Movie Conundrums. by vescucci(m): 7:53pm On Feb 25, 2011
Yes, yes, yes. No, no, no I'm not having a heavenly feeling. FYI I actually typed heavenly feeling. Yeah, you're right about the movie and what the character sets out to do.

You're not familiar with Memento cuz you've not seen it? If that's the case, I envy you. I'd love to relive the experience. If you haven't download and watch it. It's not complicated because it's not open to multiple interpretations like the staple here. Only the mode of the storytelling is complicated. Anyways, waiting for ze green light.
Re: Movie Conundrums. by Nobody: 8:01pm On Feb 25, 2011
abeg make dis thread no be like dat 'suggest a movie for review'. Make everybody dey contribute oo! Inception don finish. I think d whole film might be a dream. I never watch fight club oo, imagine. Eff up.
Re: Movie Conundrums. by vescucci(m): 8:21pm On Feb 25, 2011
C'mon. Your contributions are welcome. Here and especially there.
Re: Movie Conundrums. by Vieira(m): 3:14am On Feb 26, 2011
In Inception did it occur to anyone that the dice was not his totem?

Was his totem not like a spinning top and his wife was the one with dice?

Donnie Darko is senseless and that is coming from a scifi geek

Mulholland Drive is abslute rubbish and Lynch just loves fucking with his viewers, I will not be watching any of his films again.

2001 Space Odyssey is boring, I gave up after 30 minutes of showing the spaceship.
Re: Movie Conundrums. by vescucci(m): 10:32am On Feb 26, 2011
We never said the dice was his totem na. We all agree it was the spinning top. Technically, the spinning top was originally his wife's totem which she locked in a cupboard to intentionally jeopardize her ability to distinguish fantasy from reality. Her husband found it and adopted it as his own later, I think.
Re: Movie Conundrums. by justkunmi(m): 6:52pm On Feb 26, 2011
Vesc. .
I've not seen Momento at all though I had a chance to sometime ago. I'll download and see it but lemme hear/read your thots on it. And here is your green light +-™

. . . Inception is really a beautiful movie. Hope those guys at the Academy agree.
Re: Movie Conundrums. by obinna5000(m): 8:12am On Feb 27, 2011
@justkunmi
I doubt if INCEPTION will win Best Picture at the Oscars today. undecided It might go to either THE KING'S SPEECH or THE SOCIAL NETWORK.
But I'm sure INCEPTION will win the Best Visual Effects category unless . . .
Re: Movie Conundrums. by vescucci(m): 5:13pm On Mar 01, 2011
Well, you were right Obinna.

Now to Memento. Who has seen Memento?
Re: Movie Conundrums. by justkunmi(m): 11:07am On Mar 02, 2011
I'm waiting to read bout Momento. .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Pictures From The African Magic Viewers Choice Awards Event.. / Uche Jombo Features In 'Kondo Game' Policeman’s As Policeman's Wife / 'My Wife And Kids' TV Show

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.