Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,617 members, 7,809,266 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:01 AM

What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? (36175 Views)

Now That Aba Is About To Have 24/7 Electricity... / With Peter Obi, We Will Understand The Devils Stopping Nigeria's Unity / Are There Places In Nigeria With 24/7 Electricity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? by Nobody: 4:54pm On Sep 06, 2020
ZombieTERROR:

As expected... Buhari zombies are wired to suffer till all eternity...
They will tell us that south Africa that got their independent yesterday are worse off than Nigeria just to make the failure look good.. Infact having stable power is impossible

Pathetic...

South Africa has a large industrial sector, and a large minerals sector

People there also don't bypass their meters or chase away electricity workers or refuse to pay their bills

Also you don't have rates of 50 percent of people defaulting

One disco manager told a relative of mine that many people get power for free in the area they run. So they put pressure on people

And before you accuse me of being a buharist...my point is not to defend Buhari. Buhari in a way is part of the problem. If he had diversified the economy, maybe we would have had income to pay more for subsidising power. If he had not opposed GEJ on subsidy in 2012 , things would have been much different

But the main reason why we have power issues in Africa is that we don't pay for it. Nigeria is a good example of that.

And by the way the maps were to correct your comment that most African countries have light 247 . They don't. The data proves it.

Even SA is experiencing rolling power cuts as at last year. And rising bills too. So all not well

4 Likes

Re: What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? by Mistakemaker: 4:55pm On Sep 06, 2020
UDUJ:

I think we are almost there. For the past 4 weeks I have been having 24 hours uninterrupted electricity supply.

The only problem is the exorbitant hike in electricity tariff fees just introduced. Before now I get about 480 units for a 10,000 naira recharge. After the tariff hike I get just 189 units undecided
Which city is that?
Re: What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? by Mistakemaker: 4:55pm On Sep 06, 2020
Notatribalist:
Very very good question..
Thanks man

1 Like

Re: What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? by Doktajay5: 4:56pm On Sep 06, 2020
dukeprince50:
not just PMB but all our past leaders are useless, infact PMB administration brought up the idea of nuclear energy but we kicked against it cos we are scared it will be mismanaged and cause a disaster but we forget nuclear energy is the neatest and most environmental friendly

U have moribund brains and heads who haven't been able to manage ordinary Hydropower generation, even common gas turbines, u r busy talking about nuclear power generation.

U just want them to steal all the money that will be allocated and tell you convincing stories.

Okk.. Continue dreaming, ask someone to wake u up for dinner or breakfast depending.

2 Likes

Re: What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? by UDUJ(m): 4:56pm On Sep 06, 2020
Mistakemaker:

Which city is that?

Lagos of course.
Re: What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? by Nobody: 4:57pm On Sep 06, 2020
jmoore:

Who is talking about cheap power?
Is the topic about cheap power?

The topic is about 24/7 power supply.

Which we can't get because 50 percent of Nigerians and many government agencies don't pay for power.

And because of the poor revebue stream , power companies can't get financing, be it from revenue from bills or financial agencies to pay for improvement

And they are even in a deficit of 1 trillion naira annually.
Re: What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? by francisbiz: 4:57pm On Sep 06, 2020
Kaduna1stson:
Incompetent leadership, we chose a man who has never had light as he trained his cows for the past 30 years as president. Failures begets more failures.

God bless Umaru Yar'Adua
Me, I don't like buhari and I will never like him.
But your answer is so incorrect, misleading, useless, stupid, and mischievous .
Your failure is not deferent from that of he who you referred to.

I always ask myself these -
1) WHY COULDNT OBASANJO GIVE NIGERIA 24/7 UNINTERRUPTED ELECTRICITY IN HIS TWO TENURES?

2) WHY COULDNT YARADUA GIVE NIGERIA 24/7 UNINTERRUPTED ELECTRICITY IN HIS HALF TENURE?

3) WHY COULDNT JONATHAN GIVE NIGERIA 24/7 UNINTERRUPTED ELECTRICITY IN HIS ONE AND HALF TENURES?

4) WHY COULDNT BUHARI GIVE NIGERIA 24/7 UNINTERRUPTED ELECTRICITY IN HIS FIRST TENURE? AND SECOND TENURE IS RUNNING NOW AND THERE IS NO SIGN HE WILL DO IT.

When I ask such questions ALL THE GOVERNORS, SENATORS, REP MEMBERS AND MINISTERS ARE NOT EXEMPTED.

Why is it seemingly impossible for Nigerian politicians to give us what we want?
My conclusion is that they are the same wicked, greedy, corrupt inefficient and heartless politicians

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? by salford1: 4:57pm On Sep 06, 2020
lykwhoishe:
One reason, Discos and their management of the end electricity consumers. You can arrange for 33kv line or a dedicated 11kv feeder to ur end and get almost constant electricity but at a very very high premium cost. Discos ain't for volume, they are more concerned with markup.
That is if the transmission line is good enough to get the power to the sub and switching stations.

1 Like

Re: What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? by chrisooblog: 4:57pm On Sep 06, 2020
yes good question. like I said before we generate more power than we distribute so i'm guessing it's the excess that we generate that gets sold to those countries even then i don't think it's up to 150 MW but i'm not sure

Mistakemaker:

Nice one

But neighboring countries Nigeria sell electricity to have constant power

1 Like

Re: What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? by Nobody: 4:58pm On Sep 06, 2020
RealEzee:
u don't have point to talk you are talking Awoof, e no make sense at all.

U r not providing a service to people's satisfaction and you're saying they're not paying for ur service, is that how business is run ni?

Provide better service then you can have the moral ground to Condemn your customers for failing to pay up not the other way round.

GSM companies were not providing good enough services to most people's satisfaction in 2001-5.

Yet we paid, and they raised enough cash from the income to make things better.

See!

1 Like

Re: What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? by ZombieTERROR: 4:58pm On Sep 06, 2020
kikero:

South Africa has a large industrial sector, and a large minerals sector

People there also don't bypass their meters or chase away electricity workers or refuse to pay their bills

Also you don't have rates of 50 percent of people defaulting

One disco manager told a relative of mine that many people get power for free in the area they run. So they put pressure on people

And before you accuse me of being a buharist...my point is not to defend Buhari. Buhari in a way is part of the problem. If he had diversified the economy, maybe we would have had income to pay more for subsidising power. If he had not opposed GEJ on subsidy in 2012 , things would have been much different

But the main reason why we have power issues in Africa is that we don't pay for it. Nigeria is a good example of that.

And by the way the maps were to correct your comment that most African countries have light 247 . They don't. The data proves it.

Even SA is experiencing rolling power cuts as at last year. And rising bills too. So all not well

Buhari is all that is wrong with this country...

The man is a punishment to the nation

Woe to any man who supports him

1 Like

Re: What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? by Nobody: 4:58pm On Sep 06, 2020
dukeprince50:
not just PMB but all our past leaders are useless, infact PMB administration brought up the idea of nuclear energy but we kicked against it cos we are scared it will be mismanaged and cause a disaster but we forget nuclear energy is the neatest and most environmental friendly

You expect these retards that can manage hydroelectric power generation properly to handle nuclear power well?
guru90:

who told u, 9ja no gat money. Seems like u are not from 9ja.
Oga stop talking like an ignorant person

Who might do Nigeria have ...is it the 650 billion we share every month that's money ?

Federal government gets just 55% of that
From there pay civil servants service loan ..run government what's left
Re: What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? by kgr8mike(m): 4:58pm On Sep 06, 2020
kikero:

Banning generator won't solve the problem

Even if we had light 24/7, in times of natural disasters, a generator works to provide power while the power supply is being fixed

Generators can also be used in remote areas where powe cannot reach
Until u do that forget power in nigeria. The importers will not allow the sector to work. Do you know who killed Bola Ige (a power minister with a resolve tn give us 24/7 power supply)? The statusquo is the lifeline of some people. So if you need a change then change the statusquo. Otherwise you will become the provebial madman that does a thing same way and expects a different result.

2 Likes

Re: What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? by Nobody: 4:59pm On Sep 06, 2020
ZombieTERROR:

Buhari is all that is wrong with this country...

The man is a punishment to the nation

Woe to any man who supports him

Ok, we have left the power discussion behind....

Good evening
Re: What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? by AerialMapper: 5:02pm On Sep 06, 2020
TCN is the weakest link
Re: What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? by Nobody: 5:02pm On Sep 06, 2020
Mistakemaker:

Then what do the fg stand to gain by keeping it in the exclusive list and suffering the people.. To me states should be allowed to generate power and supply their states, you will find out some states will have stable electricity

Because suffering the people is the bedrock of the Nigerian nation.
The last part of your write-up about states generating their own power has always been my take on it. But they won't do that as northern states will always be retarded and the south will move further ahead. Same reason for all that catchment area bullcrap in JAMB.
Re: What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? by Nobody: 5:03pm On Sep 06, 2020
kgr8mike:
Until u do that forget power in nigeria. The importers will not allow the sector to work. Do you know who killed Bola Ige (a power minister with a resolve tn give us 24/7 power supply)? The statusquo is the lifeline of some people. So if you need a change then change the statusquo. Otherwise you will become the provebial madman that does a thing same way and expects a different result.

Bola ige was not killed because generator

Bola Ige even apologised two years later after taking over for not supplying power after promises

Infact at the time of his death he was no longer in charge of the power ministry. ( He had been moved to the Justice ministry 9 months before his death)

And the reasons then we're the same as now. People and government agencies not paying for power. NEPA then used to complain about illegal connections and power loss

1 Like

Re: What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? by RealEzee(m): 5:04pm On Sep 06, 2020
kikero:

What resources?

When many people are not paying their bills?

When our major income streams are falling drastically? Especially oil.?

When people bypass their meters

And stop this nonsense about not paying for power because we don't see it

Back when GSM came into this country, service was poor, you could not even call another network for over 2 years , and missed calls were common

Yet we kept on paying high prices for that, and the companies took our money and made things much better. And built a multibillion business and a telecom network that required no government money or intervention

We have a power sector that needs money. Yet we refuse to pay our bills, we demand low prices and we bypass meters when installed

At the end of the day, the power sector cannot attract investment and cannot take loans to build things...unlike MTN, airtel and Glo that even had loans lined up before they started business self and 9 mobile.

As a result we don't have light.

Again, you cannot run a successful business if half your customers don't pay

This problem has been ongoing since long before Buhari took office in 1984. Since the 1970s infact.

bud tell me this, when u pay ur bill did u tell them u want 4 hours light? Was that your Contract with them? Was the service promised by the power sector for 4 hours a day?
Y'all be saying people are not paying, are they seeing the light to pay for first ?some peeps run Gen steady abi do u want to say they are the cause of not having steady power?

Is it us that will give you money to set up the business abi na u go find the money to set up business and have us patronize u to keep it running as you provide better service?
Is it from end users you want to raise the money from?

The government are busy playing business the sector for their benefits,quick to make policies to put the common man down yet no corresponding positive effect on the country at large.

6 Likes

Re: What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? by Nobody: 5:04pm On Sep 06, 2020
Igbochief001:

We don't have the money to invest into power

But we have the money to pay those nonces that sit 2 days in a month doing jackshit massive monthly and quarterly pay, right?

1 Like

Re: What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? by andyanders: 5:04pm On Sep 06, 2020
Politicians, business men who deal on generating sets and corruption in the sector. The cabal behind power failure are still the rich and corrupt officials of PHCN.
Re: What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? by jmoore(m): 5:04pm On Sep 06, 2020
kikero:

Which we can't get because 50 percent of Nigerians and many government agencies don't pay for power.

And because of the poor revebue stream , power companies can't get financing, be it from revenue from bills or financial agencies to pay for improvement

And they are even in a deficit of 1 trillion naira annually.

Who is bankrolling you?
You work for any of these power companies?

You keep blaming government and customers. But you don't blame the power companies with their overestimated bills. You don't blame the power companies who refused to erect poles and fix transformers, thereby forcing customers to repair these equipments or buy new ones.
And you keep talking about 50%, which is exaggerated. Sharing same pattern of exaggeration with power bills by these companies.

It is obvious your views are being bankrolled.

Have a nice day.

4 Likes

Re: What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? by jimbson: 5:07pm On Sep 06, 2020
Useless PHCN ....
Re: What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? by Nobody: 5:07pm On Sep 06, 2020
Kaduna1stson:
Incompetent leadership, we chose a man who has never had light as he trained his cows for the past 30 years as president. Failures begets more failures.

God bless Umaru Yar'Adua
yaradua gave you light? Is it that Buhari took away the light that IBB or Abacha or OBJ or GEJ or Yaradua gave you?

It is because Nigeria is populated with dumbasses like you that our leaders get away with murder.
Re: What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? by onegig(m): 5:08pm On Sep 06, 2020
jmoore:

The topic has nothing to do with free electricity.

You talk about subsidies. Do you live in Nigeria? Many Nigerians are maintaining companies they have no shares in. They contribute money to fix new poles, fix transformers or buy new ones. And you say these Nigerians are not ready to pay.

Nigerians can pay for 24/7 power supply. Make prepaid metres available.

If you were discerning enough and not just rushing to respond you would understand the free in my post was alluding to politicians promising Nigerians free good roads, water supply, electricity and education just to win elections when in reality such does not exist.

What doesn't government subsidize in Nigeria? Mention one single thing and look at their state. Education? Health? Don't people buy hand gloves and toiletries for government hospitals? Aren't kids carrying personal chairs and tables to public schools?

If you were adept about the happenings around you , you would understand that a large section of Nigerians are far removed from the realities of what the cost of things are because of government subsidies.

Just read a newspaper from last week and see all the threats of strike actions and backlash because electricity was to be moved to N56 per kilowatt.

I say it again. When people(both the followers and leaders) are ready and willing to pay the real cost of Power. You would get 24hours light.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? by Skmoda360(m): 5:08pm On Sep 06, 2020
dukeprince50:
if there is power, industries will grow.
if industries grow, more industries will spring up.
if more industries spring up, there will be job.
if there is job, there will be money.
if there is money, we can pay for power grin
Re: What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? by Emmaomotob(m): 5:10pm On Sep 06, 2020
allthingsgood:

Power is a complex industry. It's not enough to just generate.
Yeah. Some talk of corruption, but forget competence.

1 Like

Re: What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? by RealEzee(m): 5:10pm On Sep 06, 2020
kikero:

GSM companies were not providing good enough services to most people's satisfaction in 2001-5.

Yet we paid, and they raised enough cash from the income to make things better.

See!
what do you mean by GSM comps not providing good enough service back then? how many where they at that moment, where was the competition? What was their coverage area then?what was the tech prevelant then?
They came in with a standard, service for value, that was enjoyed then, competition came in, service packages increased, what has the power sector done to replicate this, are you getting the value u r paying for? Abeg yan better

1 Like

Re: What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? by Emyogalanya: 5:11pm On Sep 06, 2020
What exactly do nigerians need power for ? Where are the so called industries ? When ever you hear people shout "up nepa" the next you will hear is them don bring light make i go house. Is there any factory inside thier homes ? Its film they want to go and watch. I've seen children of school age saying "up nepa, make i go house" and i ask them what do you want go do with the light the response is always: make i go watch film na. In our days when u hear "up nepa" , you see siblings trying to out run each other to iron their school uniforms. You see neighbours who have no electric iron rushing to borrow pressing iron from any where. But these days its film , bb9ja and the rest. Most can't re call when last they iron their cloths such a shame of a people

1 Like

Re: What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? by Appswheel(m): 5:11pm On Sep 06, 2020
WAKE ME UP

Can we hold a summit where the Past Head of States, Presidents and Ministers who are still alive from Nigeria's Independence to date give an account of their stewardship, a summary of their core achievements? This is with a view to discover the missing link, where and when we got it all wrong – Water, Education, Power, Agriculture, Health, Manufacturing, National Institutions.

When was the last time you watched a Nigerian Television Authority (NTA) Programme, was there any noticeable improvement from what you have known it to be?

Did Nigeria ever show the promise of a great nation? As an optimist, I sometimes struggle to see how the Nigeria of my dreams will be birthed. The late erudite Professor, Pius Adesanmi once wrote that the reason why he published articles on the Nigerian state was for Archeology purposes, to show that not all Nigerians looked away when her leaders showed no vision and sailed with the wind. It is the same with this article, it is to register my displeasure on how our Nation is being run.

The reality of the Nigerian state is best described as a Nightmare. How did we end up being represented by ill-equipped and self-serving individuals? To use the current leadership as an example, how did a supposed Integrity hero manage to head a government whose legacies reek of corruption and corrupt practices?

How did successive generations manage to sow discord and hate in their young? A visit to the politics thread on Nairaland (Nigeria's most visited online forum) reveals the deep hatred the Igbos and the Yorubas have for one another.

For how long will Nigeria remain a bad dream? The realities of Covid-19 forced our leaders to have a taste of their evil deeds; some of them did not survive the border closure. Ironically, the typical Nigerian politician will not learn any lesson from the COVID experience. They are waiting for COVID to pass and get back to their normal way of life. A letter recently credited to the First Lady, after her return from a medical-related trip confirms this position.

If the Nigerian story was a movie, the scriptwriter would have won multiple awards for documenting a brilliant horror story and the actors recognized for a flawless show of evil, ruthlessness and terror – with exception to a few actors.

The Major political parties are structured to present undesirable candidates for elective positions, leaving the electorate a hard job of choosing between the devil and the deep blue sea. Our electoral laws and set up makes it difficult for private candidates to have any chance at the polls.

For a long time, our education system remains on life support. This is not for a lack of Educational Policies, but a lack of implementation and leadership. The realities of COVID-19 underscore the importance of ICT Infrastructure to support blended learning. These infrastructures are non-existent in our tertiary institutions, needless to say in the public Secondary and Primary institutions.

Undoubtedly, we need a revolution to birth the Nigeria of our dreams. Be part of this revolution by being a good leader and citizen in whatever position you find yourself. Do not abuse your office; use your influence for the common good. Lead from the front; be accountable and transparent in your dealings. More importantly, a critical mass of the Nigerian Stakeholders must come together to set up mechanisms to engage and hold our leaders to account across board – at the Local, State and Federal levels.

The tragedy of the Nigerian nation is one of leadership, men and women best described as mediocre with no moral pedigree continue to dominate and dictate how our nation is run. Their strategy is simple but it continues to work, to ride on the people and divide them along the fault lines of ethnicity and religion whilst plundering our national and collective wealth.

Nigeria has been a bad dream and Nightmare.

Please, Wake me up. Wake me up.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? by dangoteinlaw: 5:12pm On Sep 06, 2020
tumababa:

And if all these are Available , the politicians wont be able to use people as thugs....
very true. Look at how hard it is to win election in USA and uk. Nothing to campaign with, imagine trump just saying i will make America great again and that's all. Everything else works there but this part of the world is where u hear "there will be light if u vote me in" smh

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (17) (Reply)

#NorthIsBleeding Protesters Defy Police, Chant 'Buhari Is A Terrorist, Bandit' / Yahaya Bello Hugs His Wife At His Birthday Event. Photos / Fact Check: Did Elon Musk Declare Support For Peter Obi?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.