Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,771 members, 7,851,629 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 01:55 AM

An Obnoxious Cultural Practice Is About To Tear Our Relationship Apart - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / An Obnoxious Cultural Practice Is About To Tear Our Relationship Apart (1239 Views)

My Girlfriend & I Ended Our Relationship Because Of Reno Omokri's Tweets, Advice / Five Things A Woman Can Offer In A Relationship Apart From Sex / Five Things A Woman Can Offer In A Relationship Apart From Sex (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

An Obnoxious Cultural Practice Is About To Tear Our Relationship Apart by MrKoi(m): 4:23pm On Sep 06, 2020

My girl and I have been dating for quite a reasonable amount of time. Finally, I engaged her and then proceeded to see her parents. After the marriage introduction, things began to unfold and it appears our relationship is tearing apart.

I do hear about this obnoxious practice or ritual in her tribe. In my tribe, you don’t have to perform any sacrifice before you get married to a woman. We are all from the same state. Now, the practice is such that if any man is getting married to a first or third daughter, the man must perform a certain sacrifice to appease the gods of their community so that her mother can eat whatever comes from the girl child during and after marriage.

My girl is not the first daughter of her father but her mom. Earlier, I asked her about this practice and she told me she’s not a first daughter. I asked her again to go and find out from her people in the village if I’d have to perform the sacrifice. She went to them, came back, and said, “You won’t have to do it.” I was happy about that because I wasn’t ready to do it. Today, she’s telling me everyone was misinformed.

Eventually, I went for her introduction with my people. They welcomed us, served us with food and drinks. We talked at length and then closed the event. No one talked about this ritual and we left. Unknown to me, my girl’s mom never opened the drink I gave to her during the introduction. She kept the drink, went around the village, and sought counsel if indeed I’m not supposed to perform the sacrifice because my girl is her first daughter. I’m not sure she ate the food she cooked for us. After all, the marriage had started.

Finally, the woman got the ‘right’ counseling. They told her that I’d have to come forward and perform the sacrifice or pay for it to be performed on my behalf. Still, none of my girl’s parents talked to me about it until I started buying things from the list they gave to me.

Recently, I went for burial in the state because I don’t stay there. After the burial, I went to see my girl’s father to argue some things on the list. There and then, the man called the wife to sit, and then they started discussing this thing. They said I’d have to do it. My girl’s mom said if I don’t perform the ritual and she eats from my girl, she’ll die. Gosh! Death? I told them point-blank that I won’t perform the ritual. “Do you want me to die before my time? She asked. I said, “No ma. You won’t die for any reason before your time.” Later, I left.

My girl was planning to use her money to pay for the ritual on my behalf. She told me about it and I said to her not to try it else at any time I find out in the future, I’d send her out of my life. In the course of this whole thing, her dad, mom, a close relative, extended relatives, and youths have given their list of things for me to buy—harmonized in one long list. Now, the gods of their community want to bring their list. My girl further told me that if I don't do it, her sister automatically can't do it and her mom would only have her second daughter to look after her from now until she grow old and die. She also said her mom suffered so much for her and she wouldn't bear I don't perform or pay for the sacrifice so she can take care of her. I've been very weak and unmotivated to do anything.

I’m a Christian and I’ve never consulted any fetish priest or a traditionalist to do anything for me. I’ve always worked with God and where I do my best and God doesn’t crown it, I just know it wasn’t meant for me. I’m not a man without sin but I know the limit I can go. Today, I’m faced with a choice to make between satisfying an odious culture and keeping my relationship with God. It touches me a lot because I’ve gone through a lot with my girl and it appears I’m about to disappoint her.

Ever faced this kind of thing in your culture, how did you overcome it? Do you think there are implications? For those that have performed a similar ritual, would you advise me to do the same?
Re: An Obnoxious Cultural Practice Is About To Tear Our Relationship Apart by NobleSeed(m): 4:28pm On Sep 06, 2020
Two side of a coin.........
I thought I read when you clearly stated that your wife is not the first daughter? So why the so called ritual of a thing? You told her to go and ask and she did, she came with a positive reply that's no need to perform the sacrifice .Later she said everyone was misinformed who is deciving who? Misinform as how?
Who don't want to indulge in such practices right?
So what's your family stand on that?
Don't do that crap bro
There is more to this you are not divulging to us ,probably they have not told you the real reason for the sacrifice..
Bro go and dig deep about this stuff if nobody wants to give you any fallible answer concerning this stuff. Don't be supprise what you will gana see.

Perform the sacrifice at your own peril
Don't. Don't. Don't.don't try it!!!!!

1 Like

Re: An Obnoxious Cultural Practice Is About To Tear Our Relationship Apart by Nobody: 4:29pm On Sep 06, 2020
oboy ur geh n ar famili don corna u 4 Tite corna. If your believe is strong you better jakpa or just follow love.
Re: An Obnoxious Cultural Practice Is About To Tear Our Relationship Apart by Nobody: 4:31pm On Sep 06, 2020
You didn't say anything about what the sacrifice is all about.People jump on each other these days without proper background check only to meet this type of things later.Dont do what you are not comfortable with,some tribes are very fetish especially south south part of Nigeria.You should inform your parents as well,also tell your pastor about it.
Re: An Obnoxious Cultural Practice Is About To Tear Our Relationship Apart by Nobody: 4:32pm On Sep 06, 2020
excellence44:
oboy ur geh n ar famili don corna u 4 Tite corna. If your believe is strong you better jakpa or just follow love.
what sort of rubbish advice is this?somebodys future husband smh
Re: An Obnoxious Cultural Practice Is About To Tear Our Relationship Apart by Nobody: 4:44pm On Sep 06, 2020
Zzor:
what sort of rubbish advice is this?somebodys future husband smh
Have sense. Don't be too emotional.
make them no treat your matter like ERICA.
Re: An Obnoxious Cultural Practice Is About To Tear Our Relationship Apart by Nobody: 4:47pm On Sep 06, 2020
excellence44:

Have sense. Don't be too emotional.
if you had any sense,you won't spew such trash as an advice
Re: An Obnoxious Cultural Practice Is About To Tear Our Relationship Apart by Tajbol4splend(m): 4:47pm On Sep 06, 2020
21st century, people are still in this cage, o sad

Re: An Obnoxious Cultural Practice Is About To Tear Our Relationship Apart by Nobody: 4:50pm On Sep 06, 2020
Zzor:
You didn't say anything about what the sacrifice is all about.People jump on each other these days without proper background check only to meet this type of things later.Dont do what you are not comfortable with,some tribes are very fetish especially south south part of Nigeria.You should inform your parents as well,also tell your pastor about it.
Erica it's okay off mic
Re: An Obnoxious Cultural Practice Is About To Tear Our Relationship Apart by Nobody: 4:51pm On Sep 06, 2020
Zzor:
if you had any sense,you won't spew such trash as an advice
You are a woman but please have sense and don't be too emotional.
Re: An Obnoxious Cultural Practice Is About To Tear Our Relationship Apart by MrKoi(m): 5:07pm On Sep 06, 2020
NobleSeed:
Two side of a coin.........
I thought I read when you clearly stated that your wife is not the first daughter? So why the so called ritual of a thing? You told her to go and ask and she did, she came with a positive reply that's no need to perform the sacrifice .Later she said everyone was misinformed who is deciving who? Misinform as how?
You don't want to indulge in such practices right?
So what's your family stand on that?
Don't do that crap bro
There is more to this you are not divulging to us ,probably they have not told you the real reason for the sacrifice..
Bro go and dig deep about this stuff if nobody wants to give you any fallible answer concerning this stuff. Don't be supprise what you will gana see.

Perform the sacrifice at your own peril
Don't. Don't. Don't.don't try it!!!!!

Yes. She's not the first to the father but first to the mom. Of course, I don't feel like doing it. I've not talked to my people about it. Most likely, they'll ask me not to do it because it's not done in my place. I've said all I know sir. This is just a forum and there'd be no point keeping a part of the whole thing to myself after all, I'm seeking counsel on how to cross the hurdle. I'm just tired. To say the least, since I got the news, I'm not excited about the whole thing again. I just feel bad.
Re: An Obnoxious Cultural Practice Is About To Tear Our Relationship Apart by MrKoi(m): 5:11pm On Sep 06, 2020
Zzor:
You didn't say anything about what the sacrifice is all about.People jump on each other these days without proper background check only to meet this type of things later. Don't do what you are not comfortable with, some tribes are very fetish especially south south part of Nigeria.You should inform your parents as well,also tell your pastor about it.

I don't know the details of the sacrifice because I'm not from their tribe. But what I know is that they'd bring a list and you'd buy the things there and be led to perform the sacrifice. Indeed, it's in the South South part of Nigeria but I just want to keep the state and tribe in particular off. I'm yet to inform my parents and the church.
Re: An Obnoxious Cultural Practice Is About To Tear Our Relationship Apart by MrKoi(m): 5:12pm On Sep 06, 2020
Tajbol4splend:
21st century, people are still in this cage, o sad

I'm speechless.
Re: An Obnoxious Cultural Practice Is About To Tear Our Relationship Apart by NobleSeed(m): 5:13pm On Sep 06, 2020
MrKoi:

Yes. She's not the first to the father but first to the mom. Of course, I don't feel like doing it. I've not talked to my people about it. Most likely, they'll ask me not to do it because it's not done in my place. I've said all I know sir. This is just a forum and there'd be no point keeping a part of the whole thing to myself after all, I'm seeking counsel on how to cross the hurdle. I'm just tired. To say the least, since I got the news, I'm not excited about the whole thing again. I just feel bad.
I understand your plight bro. Relate the matter to your family and be fixity with your decisions never to participate in that crap.
Re: An Obnoxious Cultural Practice Is About To Tear Our Relationship Apart by Nobody: 5:15pm On Sep 06, 2020
MrKoi:

I don't know the details of the sacrifice because I'm not from their tribe. But what I know is that they'd bring a list and you'd buy the things there and be led to perform the sacrifice. Indeed, it's in the South South part of Nigeria but I just want to keep the state and tribe in particular off. I'm yet to inform my parents and the church.
Dont do it ooo, never involve yourself in such without informing your parents,im very sure they are hiding more from you now till you are fully in. It will not pass Delta State,that state and fetish things are like 5$6.Tell us the state and tribe,dont be afraid of anybody here,its a faceless forum and if they insult you,i will reply them on your behalf

1 Like

Re: An Obnoxious Cultural Practice Is About To Tear Our Relationship Apart by MrKoi(m): 5:16pm On Sep 06, 2020
excellence44:

I encountered the same challenge in 2014. She refused to tell me the truth until it was too late to turn back. My folks asked me to ditch but I said no because of love. No regrets. If she had told me earlier, I bet you I will just put an end to the relationship.
Reason for my advice above.
Girls should stop deceiving men into marriage because she and her family pretend all through to the last moment.

I'm still wondering why her mom didn't do this when my girl told them I'd be coming for introduction. Why now that we've gone far into preparation for the marriage?
Re: An Obnoxious Cultural Practice Is About To Tear Our Relationship Apart by BareFacedLies(m): 5:18pm On Sep 06, 2020
MrKoi:

I'm speechless.

Before the whitemen came with their Christianity we Africans had our own traditions.

Doing the ceremony will not remove anything from your body!
Re: An Obnoxious Cultural Practice Is About To Tear Our Relationship Apart by Paramount01(m): 5:22pm On Sep 06, 2020
If you think you really love the girl do it,if you don't domit that shows ypou don't love her...this is the first step of love,not just the word of mouth but action...
But for me ,I can't do it because I don't use to fall in love

1 Like

Re: An Obnoxious Cultural Practice Is About To Tear Our Relationship Apart by MrKoi(m): 5:28pm On Sep 06, 2020
My girl further told me that if I don't do it, her sister automatically can't do it and her mom would only have her second daughter to look after her from now until she grow old and die. She also said her mom suffered so much for her and she wouldn't bear I don't perform or pay for the sacrifice so she can take care of her. I've been very weak and unmotivated to do anything.
Re: An Obnoxious Cultural Practice Is About To Tear Our Relationship Apart by foxxydude: 5:32pm On Sep 06, 2020
They are trying to extort cash from you
That is why they gave you the option to pay for the sacrifice grin
Guy if the cash is not much pay for it and forget about it.

Re: An Obnoxious Cultural Practice Is About To Tear Our Relationship Apart by MrKoi(m): 5:33pm On Sep 06, 2020
BareFacedLies:

Before the whitemen came with their Christianity we Africans had our own traditions.

Doing the ceremony will not remove anything from your body!

If it won't take anything from me, why not they let us be? Why not they drop the practice? It's not a white man's religion, it's about my relationship with God. If I do it, I think I'd be serving both God and Mammon.
Re: An Obnoxious Cultural Practice Is About To Tear Our Relationship Apart by MrKoi(m): 5:40pm On Sep 06, 2020
foxxydude:
They are trying to extort cash from you
That is why they gave you the option to pay for the sacrifice grin
Guy if the cash is not much pay for it and forget about it.

If only they come forward and say the truth plainly, I'd settle them and walk away. Now they've succeeded to put the woman in total fear of dying if she eats anything from my hand or that of the daughter. She in turn is pressuring the daughter while the daughter is pressuring me, I think that won't work.
Re: An Obnoxious Cultural Practice Is About To Tear Our Relationship Apart by foxxydude: 5:44pm On Sep 06, 2020
MrKoi:

If only they come forward and say the truth plainly, I'd settle them and walk away. Now they've succeeded to put the woman in total fear of dying if she eats anything from my hand or that of the daughter. She in turn is pressuring the daughter while the daughter is pressuring me, I think that won't work.

Funerals and wedding are used by opportunistic relatives to extort
If you investigate thoroughly you will find out its your mother in laws family that is requesting the sacrifice just to collect extra items
Re: An Obnoxious Cultural Practice Is About To Tear Our Relationship Apart by Ygrette(f): 6:00pm On Sep 06, 2020
Zzor:
Dont do it ooo, never involve yourself in such without informing your parents,im very sure they are hiding more from you now till you are fully in. It will not pass Delta State,that state and fetish things are like 5$6.Tell us the state and tribe,dont be afraid of anybody here,its a faceless forum and if they insult you,i will reply them on your behalf

Lol you're very funny and you seem to be well informed.

2 Likes

Re: An Obnoxious Cultural Practice Is About To Tear Our Relationship Apart by MrKoi(m): 6:16pm On Sep 06, 2020
Zzor:

Well, it's the Ibibio people in Akwa Ibom state.
Re: An Obnoxious Cultural Practice Is About To Tear Our Relationship Apart by Nobody: 6:24pm On Sep 06, 2020
MrKoi:

I'm still wondering why her mom didn't do this when my girl told them I'd be coming for introduction. Why now that we've gone far into preparation for the marriage?
They did it purposely to prevent you from turning back because by now they feel you might have gone too far to quit.
Re: An Obnoxious Cultural Practice Is About To Tear Our Relationship Apart by Kobicove(m): 6:27pm On Sep 06, 2020
MrKoi:

Well, it's the Ibibio people in Akwa Ibom state.

How come is it that you're from the same tribe yet you don't know of this cultural practice? undecided

Anyway I would advise you do it
Re: An Obnoxious Cultural Practice Is About To Tear Our Relationship Apart by Nobody: 6:35pm On Sep 06, 2020
You don't want to pay for the rituals...you also do not want your girl to pay for it...you do not want to also end the marriage...You are a man, act like one. Marriage between 2 women is the worst prison in life. Hiding behind religion to justify an action is annoying.

...My girl was planning to use her money to pay for the ritual on my behalf. She told me about it and I said to her not to try it else at any time I find out in the future, I’d send her out of my life...
Re: An Obnoxious Cultural Practice Is About To Tear Our Relationship Apart by Nobody: 6:41pm On Sep 06, 2020
Ygrette:

Lol you're very funny and you seem to be well informed.
lol
Re: An Obnoxious Cultural Practice Is About To Tear Our Relationship Apart by samuelson06(m): 6:46pm On Sep 06, 2020
Kobicove:

How come is it that you're from the same tribe yet you don't know of this cultural practice? undecided

Anyway I would advise you do it

He said same state and not tribe.
Re: An Obnoxious Cultural Practice Is About To Tear Our Relationship Apart by Bluezy13(m): 6:49pm On Sep 06, 2020
Just pay the god-damned money.
Or simply back off.

All these Christianity bla bla bla makes me sick.
Re: An Obnoxious Cultural Practice Is About To Tear Our Relationship Apart by NobleDeSage001: 6:49pm On Sep 06, 2020
"Give to Ceaser what is Ceaser's; give to God what is God's".
Just try some more and find out exactly what the ritual entails. It will help you to decide if you want to do it for love or just back out of the marriage.

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Need Help In My 3yrs Relationship / Ladies What's Your Choice / Lewd Chat Of A 9ja Lady & Man Exposed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.