Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,849 members, 7,810,274 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:20 AM

The Taboo (an exciting Romance Story) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Taboo (an exciting Romance Story) (19592 Views)

Taboo [18+] / FEIRE - A Romance Story / The Taboo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Taboo (an exciting Romance Story) by ToyinOlorunsola(m): 7:29pm On Sep 06, 2020
Good day, dear friends. Here is another story from me. I hope you will find it interesting.

Please, you are all invited.

Comments and criticisms are welcome

The Sweet Taboo

Copyright. All rights reserved. No part of this publication can be used anywhere in any form without the permission of the author.

Ayo steered his partner to a table close to the window The eatery was busy. Many mouths were munching, chewing, sipping, drinking, licking, or just chatting. It was a cozy place Ayo liked to frequent.

'Fried rice and chicken?' It was easy for Ayo to guess. Ore always asked for that. He smiled at her face as he awaited her response.

Ore nodded and smiled back. She winked in the you-should-know manner. He sighed and went to join the short queue. He stood behind a voluptuous but pretty lady who smiled at him hopefully. Ayo smiled back and turned to cast his glance at the direction where Ore was seated. The smile went off the chubby lady as she got the message.

His gaze shifted to the flat screen t.v. A horror scene gazed back at him. A suicide bomber had detonated explosives and had taken over thirty lives. The reporter was obviously agitated as he gave the mordant reports. Ayo shuddered briefly. He wondered when peace would return to North East region. Has mind wandered from the scene to something else. The line moved fast. It was his turn to be attended to.
The fair sales girl smiled at him in what she hoped was a patronizing one. She had tooth gap in her denture, which reminded Ayo of his mother's own. He gave her the order. In a jiffy, the hot, spicy and tantalizing meal was brought. He paid for it and took the tray to the table where Ore was waiting.

He sat down beside her, looking excited.

She looked gusty too. 'I can't wait to eat.' The smile still danced on her cheeks as she looked at the food approvingly.

'Well, here we are.' He patted her on the left shoulder. Spoons, knives and forks soon went to work. They sipped their orange juice
intermittently. There was silence from the two.

'Darling, I hope you've not forgotten my birthday.' She paused briefly to turn to him.

He grinned. 'Of course, I've not. How would I forget it?'

Indeed there was no way he would forget; not with her persistent reminder. Ayo had met her about six months ago. She was a final year
undergraduate student at the Lagos University. Ayo had met her at the corridor of the office of the Dean of the faculty of Social Science,
after he had just interviewed the dean.

He had not wasted time in making his amorous intention known to her. Ayo was, of course, married with two children. At forty two, he
still had a lot of zeal about life and his career. To him, Ore was one of the side attractions he needed to 'spice up' life. Ore did not mind his
marital status. He seemed to be handsome, kind and generous; and that was all that mattered.

He munched his chicken rather noisily. It would be a big understatement to say that the food was not bad. He and Ore were truly
satisfied after the delicious meal.

'You enjoyed the food?' It was an unnecessary question but he still felt like asking it.

Ore nodded. 'Sure I did. It was very delicious.'

He nodded too and squeezed her hand. Just then, his phone rang. It was Alfred Idowu, his publisher and employer calling.

Full story available @ https://m.okadabooks.com/book/about/the_sweet_taboo/25241

3 Likes

Re: The Taboo (an exciting Romance Story) by Nobody: 7:30pm On Sep 06, 2020
We don't enjoy half stories.
Re: The Taboo (an exciting Romance Story) by ToyinOlorunsola(m): 5:05am On Sep 07, 2020
He munched his chicken rather noisily. It would be a big understatement to say that the food was not bad. He and Ore were truly satisfied after the delicious meal.

'You enjoyed the food?' It was an unnecessary question but he still felt like asking it.

Ore nodded. 'Sure I did. It was very delicious.'

He nodded too and squeezed her hand. Just then, his phone rang. It was Alfred Idowu, his publisher and employer calling.

He winked at Ore. 'It's my oga patapata.' Then, he received the call.

'Hello sir. Good day, sir.' Ayo listened to the caller for a moment.

'I'm with a friend, sir.' He listened again for more seconds. His face became grave.

'Alright, sir. I'll be there later this evening,' After few more seconds, he thanked the man again and hanged up.

'My boss says he will like to see me in the office. Says it's rather urgent.'

Ore's beautiful face knitted into a frown. 'But today is Saturday!' She glanced at her watch. 'And this is after five o'clock. You're still
going to the office at this hour?'

He nodded in understanding. 'That's the nature of my job, my dear. Journalism is one hell of a job, especially when one works for a daily
tabloid and is holding the position that I hold.'

He grinned to reassure her, even as she still made a face. The call he received meant further interaction with Ore would be suspended for
now. He had hoped to take her to the small hotel where he normally took her. From all indications, that would have to wait till another time. Idowu wasn't a man to ignore. If he said he wanted to see you, so be it.

Raymond went on his knees. It was a few minutes to six p.m. and it was time he started his prayers. Since morning, he had been fasting. It was the sixth day of fasting. Now, his purpose of doing that might be amusing to many people. He was not fasting to ask for anything from God; rather he was making the effort just to thank the almighty One.

As usual, he would start with worship songs before graduating to praise songs. The prayers of thanksgiving would end it all. He felt glad as he observed all these. He always felt gladdened to serve the Lord. Since he heard the call of God and started the ministry about five
years ago, he had had a lot of challenges along the way, but there were fulfillment too. In fact, there were great fulfillment. He had risen from relative obscurity to fame, honor and reverence. Many people had come to know Pastor Raymond Olufemi as a young, fearless and powerful man of God.

By ten after six, he rounded up his prayers and sat on the executive chair in his office. He could hear sound of music coming from the
church auditorium. It was a Saturday and the choir was having rehearsals for the Sunday service.

His wife had already brought the food he would take. He opened the flask to eat his meal. He only ate a little. What he really needed was
water. He closed the flask and brought a plastic water bottle out.

He pressed the intercom button. Titi, his personal assistant came in.

'Yes, sir?' Her voice sounded like a person much younger, almost like a teenager. She was a short, slim and a delicate looking lady.

'I'm ready now to receive any visitor.' He sipped little more water from the bottle.

'Yes, sir. Actually, you have two visitors - a man and a woman.'

He nodded. 'Let the first one come in.'

'Yes, pastor.' Titi, the cool and efficient P.A went out of the office as smoothly as she had come. Few moments later, an important looking
female visitor was ushered into the office.

'Good evening, pastor.' She was reverent. The tall, big woman smiled at him courteously.

'Good evening, madam. Sorry to have kept you waiting.'

The woman's smile became widened. 'I can understand, pastor.'

'Please, sit down.'

The woman adjusted a seat before resting her big frame on it.

'Pastor, you don't know me, but I've heard a lot about you. I've heard about how God is using you for his mighty works. There have been

many testimonies about you.'

Raymond nodded modestly. 'To God be the glory. I'm just a vessel in his hands.'

'Yes, we must indeed thank God.' She cleared her throat. 'I'm Chief Mrs. Gloria Meshaga. My husband is the famous politician, Chief

Edwin Meshaga.'

Raymond nodded. 'I see.'

Chief Edwin Meshaga was indeed a famous man. He was the chairman of the board of trustees of the ruling political party. People knew
him as a very crafty and smart politician.

'You're welcome, madam. What can I do for you?'

5 Likes

Re: The Taboo (an exciting Romance Story) by WuraSerano(f): 7:30am On Sep 09, 2020
Carry on.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Taboo (an exciting Romance Story) by ToyinOlorunsola(m): 11:22am On Sep 09, 2020
Raymond nodded modestly. 'To God be the glory. I'm just a vessel in his hands.'

'Yes, we must indeed thank God.' She cleared her throat. 'I'm Chief Mrs. Gloria Meshaga. My husband is the famous politician, Chief Edwin Meshaga.'

Raymond nodded. 'I see.'

Chief Edwin Meshaga was indeed a famous man. He was the chairman of the board of trustees of the ruling political party. People knew
him as a very crafty and smart politician.

'You're welcome, madam. What can I do for you?'

Ayo drove his SUV into the premises of I-News building complex. The clock on the dashboard showed the time to be few minutes to seven
o 'clock. He got down from the car, locked it and walked briskly into the building. He was the political editor of the national newspaper. He had joined the newspaper soon after his national graduate service. From a political reporter, he had risen to become the political desk
editor. It was not easy but he had braved the odds.

He took the staircase to the first floor where the publisher and the ebullient Chief Executive had his expansive office. Alfred Idowu was not just a publisher, he was a man of connections and great influence. He wined and dined with the mighty ones in the society, up to the
President and Grand Commander of the armed forces.

Ayo opened the anteroom of the Chief Executive office. The office was cold, courtesy of the split air-conditioner. The ever busy secretary
was at work. She smiled up at him.

'The chief has been expecting you.' Her eyes searched him. She adjusted her glasses.

Ayo's smile was apologetic. 'Is he in the office now?'

She nodded and gestured towards the door to his office. 'He's expecting you.'

When Ayo entered the office, Idowu was on the phone. Ayo curtsied. The man paused from listening on the phone and gestured that Ayo
should sit down. Ayo nodded and sat comfortably. The office was colder than the anteroom. Ayo would have preferred that it should not be
that cold. He searched the office with his eyes. Many plaques and trophies were on display. I-News was certainly hot in laurels.

Idowu finished the conversation and cut the line.

'Ayo Ariyo, how do you do?'

'I'm fine, sir.' Ayo shook the hand that was extended to him.

'How's our political beat?'

Ayo nodded. 'It's getting more intriguing and interesting every day, sir. The ruling party affirms that good governance is going on, but
the leading opposition party says the reverse is the case. It's a season of politicking.'

Idowu nodded too. He looked at the young man intently. 'Let me start by saying that I've looked into your profile keenly. You have been
a good journalist with keen nose for news. You have written many exposé. Your editing is thorough while your columns are incisive.'

Ayo felt honored. 'Thank you, sir.'

'I'm impressed by your sterling performance. I have a deal for you, Ayo.'

Ayo sat upright. 'A deal?'

3 Likes

Re: The Taboo (an exciting Romance Story) by BigBasher: 12:59pm On Sep 09, 2020
Nice update.
Re: The Taboo (an exciting Romance Story) by Awesome05: 8:18pm On Sep 09, 2020
Ride on.
Re: The Taboo (an exciting Romance Story) by ToyinOlorunsola(m): 5:28pm On Sep 10, 2020
Idowu nodded too. He looked at the young man intently. 'Let me start by saying that I've looked into your profile keenly. You have been a good journalist with keen nose for news. You have written many exposé. Your editing is thorough while your columns are incisive.'

Ayo felt honored. 'Thank you, sir.'

'I'm impressed by your sterling performance. I have a deal for you, Ayo.'

Ayo sat upright. 'A deal?'

Idowu breathed in deeply and smiled. 'Yes, a deal. It's a deal that will mutually benefit the two of us.'

Ayo was curious. What kind of deal could that be? He braced himself.

'My good friend, the Minister of Communications and IT wants a Special Assistant on mass and social media. I'm thinking of recommending you for the job.'

Ayo was very attentive. The import of what his boss said hit him and he broke into a smile. 'That's a good deal, sir. I'm grateful.'

Idowu raised his hand to stop him. 'That's not the deal. That's just the proposition.'

Ayo stared at him. His mind raced in frenzy. Well, what was the deal?

Idowu seemed to enjoy the keenness and anticipation of his employee. He smiled again. 'This is the deal. Upon your acceptance of the
proposition, you will agree to remit forty percent of your income to me. Forty percent of all your earnings from that office. You will also
protect my interests, including my business. That is the deal.'

Ayo appeared to think over it. He mused briefly over the keywords - remittance, forty percent, protect interests.

'Perhaps you want to think over it.' Idowu opened his diary. 'I'll give you up till tomorrow afternoon. By Sunday noon, you must
communicate your acceptance or rejection of the offer to me.'

Ayo smiled warmly. 'There's nothing to think about, sir. I gladly accept the offer.'

Idowu smiled knowingly. 'That's very smart of you.' He extended his hand for a handshake again. 'Congrats.'

'Thank you, sir.'

Idowu nodded. 'You're welcome. There's one more thing. When will you be available for the swearing?'

'You mean the oath of office? As soon as possible, sir. Anytime. If I get the letter of employment from the Minister today, I will be ready
to travel to Abuja right now.'

Idowu broke into a laughter. Then, he became serious and looked sternly. 'I'm not talking about oath of office. I'm talking of oath of
allegiance to me.' He touched his chest earnestly.

Ayo stared briefly and blinked rapidly. 'Well, I didn't ...'

Idowu butted in. 'There must be personal oath of allegiance to me. It's a precondition to the deal.'

'I understand, sir.' Ayo nodded in agreement. If the man would need an oath before he could trust him, that should not be a problem or
a barrier. Was it not just about averring that he would keep his own side of the bargain?

Ayo smiled. 'That will not be a problem sir. I will be ready for the oath anytime.'

4 Likes

Re: The Taboo (an exciting Romance Story) by kweensheba: 7:34pm On Sep 10, 2020
Interesting story.
Re: The Taboo (an exciting Romance Story) by ToyinOlorunsola(m): 9:13am On Sep 13, 2020
'That's another smart thinking from you.' Idowu moved his head approvingly. 'You know my house, don't you?'

'Yes, I do.'

'Let's meet there tomorrow by ten p.m.'

Ayo's brows went up. 'You mean ten, in the morning, sir?'

The boss shook his head. 'No, I mean ten in the night.'

He stood up. Ayo stood up too.

'You must not fail to be there at the appointed time.' For the third time that evening, Idowu extended his hand for a handshake. 'Once again, congrats, Ayo. See you tomorrow.'

Ayo was all smiles. 'Thank you, sir. God bless you.'

The woman tried a smile again, but it looked more like a grimace. 'I have come to make a request and I will be so glad if you can grant it.'

The pastor's eyes became wide-opened. 'What request could that be?'

There was silence for some moments. The music seeping in from the auditorium had ceased. The choir must have finished their
rehearsals. In the office, the only sound that could be heard was coming from the electronic standing fan.

The woman cleared her throat again. 'It's about my husband.'

Pastor Olufemi was patient. 'What about him?'

The woman stared as if she was unsure about how to start.

He had to prompt her. 'What about your husband?'

She sighed. 'I caught him sleeping with our fourteen years old daughter.'

Raymond caught his breath. 'Is ...is that so?'

Her nod was emphatic. 'Yes, it is so, pastor. I've caught them twice already. Each time I caught them, he would say it's the work of the devil. He would promise it would not happen again. I feel so sad about it. Is there anything you can do about it? Can you pray to God to make him stop this madness?'

It was his turn to sigh. He thought for some seconds. 'The first thing I want you to know, madam, is that there is nothing our God cannot
do. Nothing is too big for Him to do. On my part, I can intercede on your behalf that God should intervene and change the situation. I'm not promising anything but I know there's nothing God cannot do.'

To his surprise, the woman went on her knees.

'Pastor, if through you my husband will stop this evil, then I will forever be grateful.'

'Madam, please don't knee down for me. I'm not the one to do it.' He was vehement. 'It's God that will do it.'

'I know it's God that will do it, but my mind keeps telling me to come and meet you. Please, help me to stop this shame. Tell God to stop
this infamous act.'

2 Likes

Re: The Taboo (an exciting Romance Story) by FairCritic(m): 7:20pm On Sep 13, 2020
Nice update. Kudos.

1 Like

Re: The Taboo (an exciting Romance Story) by ToyinOlorunsola(m): 7:03am On Sep 14, 2020
To his surprise, the woman went on her knees.

'Pastor, if through you my husband will stop this evil, then I will forever be grateful.'

'Madam, please don't knee down for me. I'm not the one to do it.' He was vehement. 'It's God that will do it.'

'I know it's God that will do it, but my mind keeps telling me to come and meet you. Please, help me to stop this shame. Tell God to stop this infamous act.'

Raymond nodded. 'The Lord will take away any shame from you and your family. The good Lord that sees the heart will take sorrow from your life. Your children will grow up to be responsible and be good models in Jesus mighty name.'

'Amen.' Her response was fervent. 'Amen and Amen.' She stood up. 'I really appreciate your response, pastor. God will continue to bless you. More anointing for you, in Jesus name.'

'Amen. Thank you, madam. I will continue to pray for your family over this matter. I'm sure God will intervene.'

'Thanks, sir, once again for your time. I will collect your phone number from your secretary and be calling you. I will also be coming around to see you.'

'You'll always be welcome, madam.'

The woman dipped her hand inside her handbag. 'I have this little thing for you.'

The hand held a white envelope. She extended it to him.

'For me?' He took the envelope from her and put it on the table. 'Thank you for your gesture. God bless.'

She curtsied. 'Please, I want the prayers to be very hot. I believe God will answer the prayers through you.'

She curtsied again and left. Raymond sat for some time in silence. Who could have known that a very powerful man like Edward Meshaga
would get involved in such immoral thing? And with his own daughter!

Raymond shrugged. It was nothing new. He had heard about such an aberration several times before - from the poor to the affluent.
Some human beings would always throw decency to the dogs.

Ayo was in a very delighted mood. After leaving his office, he went to his office cubicle to get some papers. He whistled to himself. If what
he had been told jelled, then he would soon be saying farewell to the office and the present job, at least for now. The prospects of the new
task thrilled him.

Many journalists angled to get a better or a political job. Although working for I-News was very rewarding, compared with the working conditions of other print media outfits, Ayo would not mind moving up the ladder to a much higher level. In Nigeria, the competition was really stiff and better opportunities came sparingly. Now that he had the opportunity - a case which could be once in a life time - he would not allow the opportunity to slip by, even if Idowu wanted him to swear before a shrine!

He decided he would not tell any colleague or associate yet about the new job that awaited him. He soon left his office. As he drove
home, his mind refused to stop ruminating over his conversation with Idowu. The new job meant he would relocate from Lagos to the Nigeria's capital city, Abuja. While Abuja was the administrative capital, Lagos remained the commercial nerve center of the nation.

He thought of calling Ore and asking her to meet him at the Venusia Hotel, but decided against it. It was already few minutes to eight in
the evening and he didn't really want to get home to his family late. No, he would go home early and be a good family man tonight. He
stopped at the Lacosa stores to buy some drinks. He had not got the job yet, but he was already in the mood for celebrations.

2 Likes

Re: The Taboo (an exciting Romance Story) by FrankAkowe: 6:59pm On Sep 14, 2020
Hmn
Re: The Taboo (an exciting Romance Story) by LoveToRead: 9:17pm On Sep 14, 2020
Pretty cool.
Re: The Taboo (an exciting Romance Story) by BigBasher: 5:36am On Sep 15, 2020
Go on.
Re: The Taboo (an exciting Romance Story) by ToyinOlorunsola(m): 1:29pm On Sep 15, 2020
Many journalists angled to get a better or a political job. Although working for I-News was very rewarding, compared with the working conditions of other print media outfits, Ayo would not mind moving up the ladder to a much higher level. In Nigeria, the competition was really stiff and better opportunities came sparingly. Now that he had the opportunity - a case which could be once in a life time - he would not allow the opportunity to slip by, even if Idowu wanted him to swear before a shrine!

He decided he would not tell any colleague or associate yet about the new job that awaited him. He soon left his office. As he drove home, his mind refused to stop ruminating over his conversation with Idowu. The new job meant he would relocate from Lagos to the Nigeria's capital city, Abuja. While Abuja was the administrative capital, Lagos remained the commercial nerve center of the nation.

He thought of calling Ore and asking her to meet him at the Venusia Hotel, but decided against it. It was already few minutes to eight in the evening and he didn't really want to get home to his family late. No, he would go home early and be a good family man tonight. He stopped at the Lacosa stores to buy some drinks. He had not got the job yet, but he was already in the mood for celebrations.

It was few minutes after eight when he got home. Their three-bedroom apartment was one of the four flats in the one-storey building. His two children were watching movies on the television while his wife was in the kitchen.

'Hello, children.'

'Daddy, welcome,' they chorused. He patted them on the head, put the nylon containing what he just bought on the center table and
went to the cooking room to meet his wife.

'Hi, darling.' He went over to her and gave her a peck.

She was pleasantly surprised to see him. 'You're early today.'

He smiled. 'Yes, it happens like that once in a while.' He sniffed the air. 'So, what're you cooking?'

'Our favorite.' By that, she meant fried rice, fried plantation and fried chicken. He had earlier taken rice but wouldn't mind taking it again.

He smiled easily. 'The aroma of this place is so tantalizing.' He stayed with her in the kitchen until she finished the cooking. To Mandy,
his wife, he was a perfect husband any lady should pray for. She never had an inkling of any infidelity on his part and always saw him as a
model husband.

It was when they were about to go to bed that he told her about the job offer Idowu discussed with him. He told her he would accept the job and was only waiting for the message from the Minister. However, he didn't mention the aspect of taking a personal oath of allegiance.

'That means there will be relocation to Abuja?'

'Definitely. Abuja is where all government ministries have their headquarters.'

Mandy changed into a nightwear. 'So, what happens to us - the children and I?'

Ayo had not thought about that. His wife worked in Lagos as a teacher in a highbrow secondary school. Would he have to move all his
family members to Abuja? If he should do that, it would mean that she would lose the job and start job-hunting again. That would not be an easy thing to do as Nigeria had a bustling labor market.

He chuckled. 'I've not even thought of that at all.' He noticed that his wife did not really display enthusiasm about the new 'job'.

'Anyway, we'll see how things turn out to be.' He shrugged it off. He decided that whether his family would follow him or not, he would
take the government 'job'.

The following morning which was a Sunday, Ayo found his mind going to the 'Abuja affair' even as he and members of his family prepared for church service. In the church, his mind was going off and on. He barely made much meaning from the preaching of the pastor.

When it was four o'clock, he told his wife he wanted to tidy up some work in the office.

'I might come back late. Don't you worry if I am late.'

Mandy looked a bit anxiously. 'You're not starting the new work tomorrow, are you?'

He grinned. 'Of course, no. All the same, I really should start putting some things in order now. The new job may start sooner than I

expect.' He gave her a peck and left the house. He drove to the office and did some work until it was some minutes to nine when he left for Idowu's house.

2 Likes

Re: The Taboo (an exciting Romance Story) by Awesome05: 7:47pm On Sep 15, 2020
Interesting story.
Re: The Taboo (an exciting Romance Story) by BigBasher: 12:40am On Sep 17, 2020
Nice
Re: The Taboo (an exciting Romance Story) by ToyinOlorunsola(m): 9:07pm On Sep 19, 2020
Ayo grinned. 'Of course, no. All the same, I really should start putting some things in order now. The new job may start sooner than I expect.'

Tenderly, he gave her a peck and left the house. He soon drove to the office and did some work until it was some minutes to nine when he left for Idowu's house.

Later, he entered the man's luxurious sitting-room few minutes to ten. He was asked to wait for his host. Few minutes after, Alfred Idowu came down to meet him.

The man was in a light mood. 'The honorable Special Assistant!'

Idowu was full of smile as he greeted him.

The younger man found the statement jocund. 'Good evening, sir.' The two men shook hands.

'I can see you were punctual.' Idowu nodded. 'That's good. I hope you'll continue to take every other thing with equal zeal.' He paused to
regard Ayo. 'Now, let's not waste time. Please, this way.'

Ayo followed him upstairs. They went to the last room down the corridor. Idowu brought out a key and gingerly opened the door. He stepped
in and gestured Ayo to do the same. As soon as Ayo entered the place, Idowu bolted the door.

Certainly, what Ayo saw amazed him. The wall was painted red. Even the carpet on the floor was red. There were certain fetish objects hanging from the ceiling. There was something dreadful
about the place. It reminded him of some shrines in the homemade movies he had watched.

This was certainly not a scene of a movie. It was a scene of stark reality. Involuntarily, Ayo shuddered. The eerie atmosphere was unnerving. So, the highly intelligent and intellectual man could engage in something like this; something so fetish and out of place!

'Here we are.' Idowu smiled as he watched the surprise on Ayo's face. The latter nodded dumbly.

Reverently, Idowu removed an idol from a corner of the room and placed it on a red stool. He held the right side of the idol and instructed Ayo to hold the left side.

Then, the oath commenced. Ayo vowed allegiance to his benefactor, in joy or in pain. He swore never to betray the man. He added that if he ever went against his words or engage in treachery, woe should betide him.

The next morning, Ayo was in the office to do some work. Though he had been assured that he would get the new job, he would still diligently
carry on with his present job. He went through news reports and did some editing. Then, he updated the on-line version. By few minutes to ten, reporters and news correspondents were filing in the latest news stories. His cell telephone rang. He picked it almost immediately.

'Hello?'

'Hello.' It was a mature female voice. 'Is that Mr. Ayo Ariyo?'

'Yes, please.'

'Please, hold on for your caller.'

There were seconds of pause. Ayo wondered who the caller was.

'Hello?' The guttural voice was unmistakably a man's own. 'Is that Ayo Ariyo?'

'Yes, sir. Who am I speaking with, please?'

'I'm Chief, Doctor John Kolly, the Honorable Minister of Communications and IT of Federal Republic of Nigeria.'

Across the line, Ayo could undoubtedly perceive arrogance, conceit, and imperiousness.

2 Likes

Re: The Taboo (an exciting Romance Story) by FairCritic(m): 7:49am On Sep 20, 2020
Nice one
Re: The Taboo (an exciting Romance Story) by UltimateSpice: 6:53pm On Sep 28, 2020
Interesting
Re: The Taboo (an exciting Romance Story) by FairCritic(m): 3:57pm On Oct 04, 2020
Carry on.
Re: The Taboo (an exciting Romance Story) by ToyinOlorunsola(m): 12:04pm On Oct 10, 2020
Even across the line, Ayo could perceive arrogance, conceit, and imperiousness.

'Good morning, sir.'

'Yeah. My good friend, your oga, must have told you about me, is that not so?'

'Yes, sir. He has, sir.'

'Very good. When are you starting the work?'

'As soon as you want me to, sir. I can start any time you want me to start.'

'Very good.' There was a long pause. 'You're to start tomorrow morning. By nine in the morning, be in my office here in Abuja.'

'Yes ... yes, sir.'

The Minister disconnected the line. Ayo whistled to himself.

'Wow!' He stood up from his seat. Things were moving faster than he had envisaged. He would have to go to Mr. Idowu's office to intimate
the boss of the latest development. He picked up his phone and moved towards the glass door of the cubicle office. Before he got to it, Kola, the assistant editor who worked with him came inside.

Kola was all smiles. 'Congratulations, Mr. Ayo Ariyo.'

Ayo was surprised.

'Yes, Mr. Idowu called me to his office some minutes ago. He told me you'll soon be on your way to Abuja for a political appointment. You're
to handover to me. Aren't you lucky?'

'So, you know already?' The surprise was still on Ayo's face.

'Yes, I know.' Kola shook his hand. 'Congratulations, brother. I'm happy for you.'

'Thank you.' Ayo felt elated. Who would not?

Things appeared to move very fast the rest of that day. After he was through with the handover, he went to Idowu's office to thank the man
for all he had done. His secretary said he had gone out for an engagement. Ayo then called his number.

'Good day, sir. I want to thank you sir for everything. I've already handed over to Kola. I want to go home now and prepare myself for the
trip to Abuja. I really thank you, sir.'

Idowu laughed over the line. 'Don't mention. You just don't forget our deal.'

'I'll never forget, sir. Thank you, sir.'

Next, he called his wife. 'Darling, I've got a call from the Minister I told you about I told you about. He says I'm to resume in Abuja tomorrow
morning.' He felt he should demonstrate his surprise at the urgency. 'Can you imagine that? The Minister wants me to resume work tomorrow
morning by nine. That means I'll have to take an evening flight to Abuja today.'

'Congratulations, darling.' Mandy tried to sound excited. 'Where are you now?'

'I'm on my way home. I'll need to pack some things.'

'Of course. I'll take permission to close early so that we'll see before you depart.'

'Yeah, that will be alright. See you then.'

The Sweet Taboo https://m.okadabooks.com/book/about/the_sweet_taboo/25241

2 Likes

Re: The Taboo (an exciting Romance Story) by BigBasher: 3:41pm On Oct 10, 2020
Nice update
Re: The Taboo (an exciting Romance Story) by tonysunkan: 2:53pm On Oct 11, 2020
Nice work.
Re: The Taboo (an exciting Romance Story) by ToyinOlorunsola(m): 5:34pm On Oct 23, 2020
Next, he called his wife. 'Darling, I've got a call from the Minister I told you about I told you about. He says I'm to resume in Abuja tomorrow morning.' He felt he should demonstrate his surprise at the urgency. 'Can you imagine that? The Minister wants me to resume work tomorrow morning by nine. That means I'll have to take an evening flight to Abuja today.'

'Congratulations, darling.' Mandy tried to sound excited. 'Where are you now?'

'I'm on my way home. I'll need to pack some things.'

'Of course. I'll take permission to close early so that we'll see before you depart.'

'Yeah, that will be alright. See you then.'

Pastor Raymond Olufemi was in his office reading the Holy Bible. He was writing a book titled The Resilience of a Nation. As usual, there would be copious Bible verses to drive home his points. There was a tap on his door. Titi, his P.A came.

'Sorry to disturb you, sir, but there are two men who want to see you.'

Raymond looked up slowly from his reading. 'This is not the scheduled time I should receive visitors, my dear lady.'

Titi grinned apologetically. 'I know, sir. They said they're from Bureau of State Security and it's urgent that they must see you.'

Raymond became alert. The Bureau of State Security (BoSS) was the government agency for internal security, just like what the FBI was to
the U.S.A. He knew that for the agents to be around, it must be for exigent reasons.

'Alright. Tell them to come in'

Titi nodded and left the office. Soon, two men in dark suits entered the office.

Raymond offered them his handshake and pointed at chairs for them.

'I'm Jimmie,' the taller man said. He brought his ID card and briefly showed Raymond. 'My colleague is Dada.'

Raymond nodded. 'You're welcome. How may I help you?'

Jimmie cleared his throat. 'Pastor, we have come to clarify some issues. In your sermon yesterday, you said any government that does not
satisfy its citizens must be ready to face the wrath of God. Can you please shed more light on this?'

Raymond smiled briefly. He was not surprised that the government had sent security operatives after him as a result of the fiery sermon he
gave during the last Sunday service. It was not the first time operatives of BoSS would be his guests. He wondered why government should
become jittery over what was meant to be message of advice.

'Well, gentleman, I hope you really got the main messages of the sermon. It was to charge government to wake up to its responsibility.
Government has the duty of providing basic amenities for her citizens. When leaders are taking oath of office, they are swearing to serve the
people. Therefore, any failure to deliver what they had promised to do, would amount to betrayal of the trust reposed in them.

'God will not be happy with such leaders. God expects human beings to keep to their words. That's why Jesus said let your yes be yes, and
your no to be no. He will hold us accountable to our words, actions or inactions. Therefore, I'll say it again that any government that fails to live
up to its expectations will face the wrath of God.'

The two men were silent for some seconds. Dada scratched his chin slightly. 'And don't you think, pastor, that a sermon or a statement like
that from you can constitute security threat?'

Raymond chuckled. 'In what way can it constitute security threat?'

Jimmie seemed ready to tackle that. 'Sir, you are a well respected man in the society. You have a lot of followers and authority. Don't you
think your words can instigate people to act after you have undermined the government?'

Raymond smiled and relaxed on the chair. If these two men think they could ruffle him, they were making a mistake. But he understood
them. They were only doing their job.

'No one is undermining the government.' He lifted the Bible up. 'This is the book of life. It is my duty to preach it and to say things the way
they should be said, without fear or favour.'

Raymond calmly went on to tell them that all he was doing was to urge government to spring into action. If government embarked on good
policies, it would be to its advantages. They asked him few more questions and rose up to go.

'Thank you, sir for your time.' Jimmie adjusted his tie. 'That will be all for now.'

Raymond stood up too. 'Gentlemen, you're welcome. I pray the good Lord will direct the affairs of our nation such that things will be rosy for
both the leaders and the led in Jesus name.'

Without zeal, the men mumbled Amen and left.

The last flight of Afresh airline would leave Lagos for Abuja by six p.m. Afresh was a reliable local airline that Ayo preferred to travel with. He
decided to leave home by half past four o' clock. Mandy wanted to drive him to the airport, but he insisted on taking a cab.

The Sweet Taboo https://m.okadabooks.com/book/about/the_sweet_taboo/25241

2 Likes

Re: The Taboo (an exciting Romance Story) by Janet96(f): 11:41am On Oct 25, 2020
Interesting update

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Taboo (an exciting Romance Story) by FairCritic(m): 12:39am On Oct 29, 2020
Nice update

1 Like

Re: The Taboo (an exciting Romance Story) by ToyinOlorunsola(m): 9:48am On Dec 12, 2020
The last flight of Afresh airline would leave Lagos for Abuja by six p.m. Afresh was a reliable local airline that Ayo preferred to travel with. He decided to leave home by half past four o' clock. Mandy wanted to drive him to the airport, but he insisted on taking a cab.

He had told his wife that barring any change, he would be coming home every weekend to be with his family. Of course, he would always call her on the phone unfailingly.

'Be careful over there.' Mandy tried to curtail her anxiety. She never liked politics or anything political and had never hidden her disdain.
Before now, she hardly engaged in political discussions with him, despite the fact that he was a political journalist. Now that his appointment
was 'purely political', as she put it, she had a lot of reservations.

He smiled to dispel her fear. 'You don't worry my dear. I'm not a politician and neither am I going to join politics. I'm only going there to be
an assistant to the Minister.'

'All the same, be careful.'

He kissed her good bye and left the house. She only drove him to the main road where he would get a cab. The cab he got was a new one,
one of those distributed by the Lagos government in partnership with private operators.

The driver talked a lot. He praised the efforts of the state government in trying to make things better for the people, but slammed the central
government for its lackadaisical attitude towards development affairs. Ayo listened to him without saying much. To the driver, the taciturnity of
his passenger might mean he was apolitical.

Thankfully there was no serious traffic hold-up. Lagos had one of the worst traffic in the world. Ayo got to the local wing of the airport several
minutes before his flight. He went to Afresh airline office to buy his one-way ticket to Abuja. He then went to the Departure lounge and awaited
when the announcement of his flight would be made.

About fifteen minutes to the take-off time, the announcement came that the prospective passengers on his flight should proceed to the
tarmac. He joined the other passengers and proceeded to where the plane was waiting. The flight was smooth. By six fifty p.m. he
disembarked from the plane at its destination. He took one of the green cabs from the airport to Sashi district. There was a modest hotel there.
He knew he still had to keep a low profile for now. He then called Mandy to intimate her of his safe arrival in the city.

Tuesday morning, as early as seven o 'clock, he was already dressed for office. His grey suit was well fitted and he looked ready for serious
business. He looked and smelled good. Clutching his brief case, he left the hotel room to take a cab to the central district, where most of the
ministries had their head offices.

The right wing of the expansive building complex of Block C was where the honorable Minister of Communications and IT had his office. The
secretary welcomed Ayo with a smile as soon as he introduced himself.

'You're already on the appointment list.' She motioned him to a seat. 'Your appointment says nine o'clock. You're a bit early.'

He nodded as he checked his watch. It was just about twenty minutes past eight o' clock. He shrugged as he took his seat to await the
Minister. The man did not come until ten o clock. By them, more than six people were waiting to see him.

It was obvious the man was not eager to attend to Ayo. He only called the latter in after he had attended to three visitors. Finally, Ayo
breathed in sigh of relief when he was called inside the Minister's very expansive and comfortable office.

The man looked up from where he sat majestically. 'Mr. Ayo Ariyo? It's a pleasure to meet you.' There was a warm handshake.

'The pleasure is mine, sir.' Ayo bowed slightly. The man asked him to take a seat.

'Thank you, sir.' Ayo sank into one of the luxurious, well-padded seats. He stared straight into the eyes of the man and studied him. The
Minister, Chief, Doctor John Kolly, as he loved to be addressed, was a man of the world. He was a career politician who had long ago jettisoned
his original profession which was architecture. He was slightly taller than the average height but had a robust stature and rotund stomach. His
dark, stern face portrayed that he was a man who would not take nonsense from anybody. Ayo was however quick to discover that the man had
a friendly disposition.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Miserable Spinster / Chimamanda Adichie: ”We Don’t Care About Trump Calling Africa A Shithole" / Broken Heart***

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 138
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.