Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,799 members, 7,810,078 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:11 PM

A Question For Yorubas - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / A Question For Yorubas (284 Views)

A Question For Yorubas / Oduduwa Isn't The Father Of The 'Yorubas' / 5 Unwritten Cultural Rules Of The Yorubas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A Question For Yorubas by gregyboy(m): 10:14am On Sep 07, 2020
Their heart would be beating so fast now as they click the link

macof, BabaRamota1980, LegendHero tao11

If the kinglist of benin in 1897 and 1901 excluded oromiyan in its list

Why did in 1924 Talbot included oromiyan as a ruler in the kinglist same as egharevba, if indeed the reasons the first earliest two didn't add oromiyan was because he never ruled, so why did talbot add him still

Because as far as i can see 1914 had passed so probably it was altered to include oromiyan for ethnic favour by the benins....

We also saw that in 1903, it was eweka that was sent from ife to benin, this was the very first origin and the beginning of the distortion on benin history

The qoute.... Eweka was sent from Ife to rule benin and when he came to the city he oppressed the weak, took their wives and if any man be too strong for him he makes a truce with him

This very first quote never included oromiyan coming to benin like Tao11 always masturbate on With her love for oromiyan tales

I believe after some years before 1924, some cultural supiority qualms erupted between alafin and ooni, so there was a need for the ooni to include him in the moonlight tales of oduduwa genealogy rewriting 1903
Statement to accompany alafin of oyo as second to oduduwa throne, thereby by bringing the story
of oromiyan from ife to the already benin-myth of 1903 to form a brotherly connection

Note for my ayelala post earlier.....

Aye means the name of the idol and lala means, sounding or warnings

Let our yoruba Brothers masturbate on this

Tao11 i want your neck on this post and make your answer short or i will call Etinosa or vali for you
Re: A Question For Yorubas by TAO11(f): 3:35pm On Sep 08, 2020
Hahaha! grin cheesy You’ve rushed to create another thread of the same name given how I disgraced on the first one. Wonderful! cheesy

Anyways, here is the refutation again.

Refutation:
(1) First of all, extant Yoruba accounts and Benin accounts hold that Oranmiyan did not get to be coronated as Oba in Benin, although that was the original agreement all along.

While most of the Edo elders, who of course invited him to Benin (then Ado), supported that he should reign as King, a handful of the elders were non-cooperating.

The resistance from this pocket of resisting elders appears sufficient to frustrate and dispirit the original agreement and plans.

He ultimately left Ado, but his son born to him by one of their ladies was subsequently coronated as the first Oba. This is, however, not without some commitment and side conditions to appease the disgruntled elders.

Thus did Eweka 1 (his son) become the first Oba of Benin. This is the standard and extant traditional account from both the Yoruba side and the Benin side.

It is only relatively recently that the Binis began to confuse themselves and others. They can not even agree among themselves till date on who their first Oba was between Oranmiyan and his son (Eweka 1).

This muddling and conflation played out publicly quite recently during the coronation of the reigning Benin King when he publicly announced himself as the 40th Oba even though his immediate predecessor was the 38th.

So, your question of why the later Benin king-lists (such as the one collected by Talbot in Benin, or the one collected by Egharevba from an Esekhurhe priest) now has Oranmiyan as the first Oba is a question that you must direct to yourself and the Bini informants, not to others that are not Binis.

It appears very obvious that confusion is an early Bini thing. grin

It is not surprising then that the earliest known Benin king-list collected by Captain Ernest Roupell in 1897-8 has Eweka 1 has the first Oba of Benin. This is in perfect agreement with extant Yoruba traditional accounts and extant Benin traditional accounts.

Refer to S. A. Akintoye, “A History of the Yoruba People”, 2010, Amalion Publishing, p.117 for a summary of this extant Benin and Yoruba traditional accounts.

(2) Refer to the following link for a refutation of the other dumb ‘arguments’ of this Edo dullard:

https://www.nairaland.com/6048841/how-unveil-promote-ancient-igbo/55#93639393

25 Likes

Re: A Question For Yorubas by TAO11(f): 3:38pm On Sep 08, 2020
And the following are two important links to your moronic “Ayelala” thread — these links show how I disgraced and exposed you for the triggered dullard that you are:

https://www.nairaland.com/6097950/ayelala-benin-worship-dont-mind#93590343

https://www.nairaland.com/6097950/ayelala-benin-worship-dont-mind/1#93666901

Btw, I commented on that thread with my @OmoOlofin moniker too. Just making sure folks are aware of this. grin

6 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Juice At Igbo Traditional Wedding Is A Disrespect To Culturetu / My Appreciation Goes Out To ... / Share Your Story On "Encounter With Ungrateful People"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.