Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,822 members, 7,810,152 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:51 PM

10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? (42208 Views)

Too Many Young People Are Getting Stuck 2-5yrs After Graduation / My Journey After Graduation In 2012 / 5 Common Mistakes Graduates Make After Graduation That Hurts Their Success (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by Rexmy(m): 4:38pm On Sep 08, 2020
smartgenius:
2011-2012 - nysc
2012 - 2014- masters in Nigeria on Exxon Mobil scholarship.
2014- 2019- Manager at Nigerian Breweries plc
2019 to date- Canada Permanent Resident, manager at a top company, doing MBA and also doing PhD on full scholarship.
I graduated in Nov. 2010.
Resiliency is the word. Just keep pushing. Don't give up.
Can I send you a PM?
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by Dipsaint(m): 4:41pm On Sep 08, 2020
Barney001:

But as a c++ programmer ...

What tasks do you do for the company...because I know c++ isn't great for web design or data analyst...

Besides what about python...is it advisable to learn that one too??

It depends on what you want to do.
There are many programming languages with different functionality.

Ask yourself why you want to learn coding and what you want to achieve from learning it.

Remember!

Patience is key.
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by Waksdabos(m): 4:41pm On Sep 08, 2020
Finished my Nysc 2015. Worked for three months in a hotel as an accounting officer (2016). Frustrated out of the job & back to the streets, job hunting for three (3) years. Got engaged as an office assistant in an audit firm with a pay of 14k per month! Worked there for 6 months, (August 2019 - February 2020). On March 9th till date, got another job with a pay of 35k.

The journey so far hasn't been easy. I pray and am still believing God for greater heights. Las las, we go tell our stories to motivate others when pepper don rest.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by Vyzz: 4:44pm On Sep 08, 2020
Dipsaint:

Go to Udemy/Coursera to get started man!

But before you start, check out the available languages and decide the one you want to learn.

Thanks boss...

I am a student... Just want to start up something before graduation...

I don't have a laptop though...

Should I get one... Or is my smartphone good to go?

1 Like

Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by Ladyvixen: 4:46pm On Sep 08, 2020
winkmart:
Well, It is exactly 10 years this year and I must say the journey has not been that easy. I never sought for employment though. I had been running business: Recharge Card in Bulk before it went South after some robbery incident.

I got some few connections with Baba Obasanjo, so I worked at OOPL for 2 years from 2015-2017. But that life was not what I was designed for. I resigned and went back to the drawing board.

Presently I freelance and I think I have made in 3 years what I was only able to gather in 7 years.

My ADVISE:
Enterpreneurship is not for everyone and office is not for everyone. Understand your calling and follow it. But I think it is okay to gather experience working with a corporate firm for 5-10 years before launching your own business full time.

Note:
It is foolish working at a Job without having a side business for passive income

Thank you for this advise

3 Likes

Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by Yankee101: 4:46pm On Sep 08, 2020
Try farming

2 Likes

Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by FGonline: 4:46pm On Sep 08, 2020
Sirfemisky:
35 years old still in HND1 and eating mama food.
Victim of child bullying and delinquent puberty
when will u out grow this ur child bullying shit.

is discipline in Africa,u must be very stubborn and disrespectful while growing up.

Always trying to get unnecessary sympathy

2 Likes

Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by kaywhy09(m): 4:47pm On Sep 08, 2020
Long story short, I'm becoming a pastor soon.

Kindly preorder prayer request

9 Likes

Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by Nobody: 4:48pm On Sep 08, 2020
Whizdorm001:
I'm 17, an undergraduate,200lvl to be precise and I have no skill whatsoever, please what skill will you advise me to learn.
Naija hard abeg
Young Man go and read your book

3 Likes

Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by Naanlong01: 4:51pm On Sep 08, 2020
This year makes it three years that I have been a graduate. I didn't bother to look for job and told my Parents not to bother about looking for one for me.
Business is what I wanted to do and I am priviledged to be a barbing salon owner and a playstation business owner. I also do part time teaching in a private School so as not to completely make my Certificate useless. Planning to launch another business next year. This part of the North is a land full of opportunities for a visionary enterpreneur. The truth is, I came here as a Corp member.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by Adex2442: 4:51pm On Sep 08, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

HTML, CSS and JavaScript. For angular you need typescript though so learn that too.

Alright Tanks bro. I will look into it

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by oneniyi(m): 4:52pm On Sep 08, 2020
Just like yesterday, can't believe it's ten years already.
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by wink2015(m): 4:55pm On Sep 08, 2020
THERE ARE JOBS IN THE NIGERIA LABOUR MARKET.

But you must be prepared to take peanut if you want to secure job much more quickly incase you do not have GODFATHER at the top that will push your application against the standard norm.

However, work is not all about the salary alone.

THERE ARE SO MANY THINGS ONE WILL GAIN FROM THE JOB ENVIRONMENT EVEN THOUGH THE SALARY IS VERY LOW.

1. Character molding and Adaptability: You meet with different people on the job and you learn to adjust to the different character or trait of people be they boss, managers or junior staff. Sometimes, you break company rules and one is sack you take the disciplinary cane and you move to another job with some hard lesson that will also help you to shape your future character.

2. Experience from the job. Experience on the job that you gather for the period is very fundamental as that will be the springboard for your next job.

3. Economic: You learn to manage salary and use it productively even though the money coming out is very low.

4. Connection and Destiny helper: You can meet some top guys along the way that can link you with a better job or business that will be the major starting point.

8 Likes

Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by colestephan86: 4:56pm On Sep 08, 2020
Offpoint:
10 years after graduating and you can find any problems on earth to solve with knowledge you acquired, then I'm afraid to say you're waste or you've wasted your time and resources.

Didn't even go to school, I read books upon books and find out to be rich you need to provide solutions to people problems.

I look around me, there was no problem... So I created one.
As sharp Yoruba guy, I enter Yankee begin dey knack oyibo "Ata" (pepper) for my neighbourhood and still cure them.. Naso I take hammer.

People wey create virus na dem create anti-virus.

All these sickness wey full world now, wey dem lie to una sey na from animals... Na people create them to take cash out.
Every sickness get permanent cure, but if them make permanent cure Na bad business for dem pharmaceutical companies, scientists and researchers... So dem give una temporal cure. Permanent cure means NO CASH OUT, temporal cure means STEADY CASH OUT.

To make money for this life na brain, nobi degree.
May God bless you.

1 Like

Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by Nobody: 4:57pm On Sep 08, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

I am not a C++ programmer. I only recommended it to younger programmers because it forces you to think. It has a very deep syntax. Those younger people don't have any responsibilities and aren't looking to get a job. For older people they should learn what the labour market needs firsts and learn the others down the road.
But please do I need to be good in maths to learn programming or be good in it? I really want to learn but I'm more of a social science person.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by akigbemaru: 4:57pm On Sep 08, 2020
tensazangetsu20:
Well I did marine engineering. It took me a year after graduation with thousands of applications to get one interview. The jobs didn't even exist. I just sent out my CVs to the email address of shipping companies and prayed something hit.

I ran a business for a while and learnt to code and men it's so easy to get a programming job. It's only in the tech industry that one would apply for jobs and be getting an interview 3 hours later. Do well in an interview and you would be getting a job the next day.

I thought it's just me as a marine engineer but apparently many of my friends with engineering degrees can't get jobs. The jobs don't even exist. It's not about going online and sending out applications. How do you send out applications to what isn't there. The world is changing now. Proper research on the job market has to be done before one goes into the university. Don't go based on hearsay. Go and do your findings yourself.
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by DontBullshitMe: 4:58pm On Sep 08, 2020
Nigeria is doomed.

Whoever that goes ahead to give birth in this country is doing his/her child(ren) a huge disservice.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by Whiteangel1234: 4:59pm On Sep 08, 2020
Graduated from Anambra State university , Political science Department 8 years Ago . . I look for Job in Governmental Ministries for 1 year and no job then I went and learn trade for 2 years , Travel outside Nigeria and set up my Business . Happily Married to a Foreign Wife and Bless with a Daughter

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:59pm On Sep 08, 2020
Hattbricker:
But please do I need to be good in maths to learn programming or be good in it? I really want to learn but I'm more of a social science person.
Well you need to know how to think logically plus you need to brush up on your maths so you can be able to pass through programming interviews which are 50 percent of the time data structures and algorithms. People from social science backgrounds have done it.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by rafkollinz: 5:02pm On Sep 08, 2020
Al-amudulilahi ... I really thank Almighty Allah till tomorrow.. despite d fact I am jobless graduate 4 over 10year now, just got a car recent n it really relief me n my family.
It is not easy 4 joblessness but with Almighty Allah, everything has been calm down.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by Dangrace01: 5:03pm On Sep 08, 2020
Uber drivers how far
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by LaboPolitics: 5:03pm On Sep 08, 2020
tensazangetsu20:
Well I did marine engineering. It took me a year after graduation with thousands of applications to get one interview. The jobs didn't even exist. I just sent out my CVs to the email address of shipping companies and prayed something hit.

I ran a business for a while and learnt to code and men it's so easy to get a programming job. It's only in the tech industry that one would apply for jobs and be getting an interview 3 hours later. Do well in an interview and you would be getting a job the next day.

I thought it's just me as a marine engineer but apparently many of my friends with engineering degrees can't get jobs. The jobs don't even exist. It's not about going online and sending out applications. How do you send out applications to what isn't there. The world is changing now. Proper research on the job market has to be done before one goes into the university. Don't go based on hearsay. Go and do your findings yourself.

Thank you very much. I recommend Shane Hummus youtube videos on useless degrees.
Every high school student should watch those videos before going into tertiary education.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by Dipsaint(m): 5:04pm On Sep 08, 2020
Hattbricker:

If truly you have passion for it, I don't think anything can stop you from achieving your dreams.

Remember, there will surely be obstacles but dedication and patience will make you achieve your set goals.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by Dipsaint(m): 5:04pm On Sep 08, 2020
DontBullshitMe:
Nigeria is doomed.

Whoever that goes ahead to give birth in this country is doing his/her child(ren) a huge disservice.
Don't say that!
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by Dipsaint(m): 5:05pm On Sep 08, 2020
DontBullshitMe:
Nigeria is doomed.

Nothing comes easy my brother
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by Dipsaint(m): 5:07pm On Sep 08, 2020
Vyzz:

Thanks boss...

I am a student... Just want to start up something before graduation...
I don't have a laptop though...
Should I get one... Or is my smartphone good to go?

I'm also a student. I'm in level 4 You need a laptop
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by apokan200(m): 5:07pm On Sep 08, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

For programming language I would say it depends. If you are between 13 to 18 and want to get into programming. I would advice you to learn C and C++.

If you are above 18, JavaScript and PHP. I believe those above 18 would be looking to get into the labour market and those two languages have the most jobs out there. Cost implication. Well just data. You are gonna spend on data a lot and then you need a lot of time at least 4 to 5 hours a day.
please how can I learn programming online,do you have any link to how I can learn online ?
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by owila4luv(m): 5:09pm On Sep 08, 2020
Merimental:

Contact d Mods
thanks alot but how do i contact the mod pls

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

How Much Is Your Current Salary? / What Is The Most Suitable Job For A Married Woman With Kids? / 200 Thousand Minimum Wage Breakdown By Chatgpt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.