Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,906 members, 7,814,065 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:06 AM

Court Begins Hearing Of Appeals Filed Against Bayelsa Gov’ship Election Tribunal - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Court Begins Hearing Of Appeals Filed Against Bayelsa Gov’ship Election Tribunal (3257 Views)

2023 Presidential Election Petitions Tribunal Begins Hearing (Live Update) / Only My Candidate Can Win Bayelsa Gov’ship Under PDP — Dickson / Tribunal begins hearing on Atiku’s petition against Buhari Wednesday. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Court Begins Hearing Of Appeals Filed Against Bayelsa Gov’ship Election Tribunal by AAA593: 1:14pm On Sep 10, 2020
The Court of Appeal , Abuja Division has commenced hearing of six appeals filed against the judgment delivered by the Bayelsa Governorship election petition tribunal.

The tribunal had on 17th August nullified the election of Governor Douye Diri and his deputy, Lawrence Ewhrudjakpo on grounds that the Independent National Electoral Commission unlawfully excluded the Advanced National Democratic Party from the November 16, 2019 governorship election in the state.

The appeals before the court is filed by Governor Douye Diri, INEC, PDP, Ibinene Stephen, Owei Woniwei and Vijah Opuma
https://www.tvcnews.tv/court-begins-hearing-of-appeals-filed-against-bayelsa-govship-election-tribunal/

So inec even appealed the andp judgement self
Garfield1
Fergie
Re: Court Begins Hearing Of Appeals Filed Against Bayelsa Gov’ship Election Tribunal by garfield1: 1:19pm On Sep 10, 2020
AAA593:

The Court of Appeal , Abuja Division has commenced hearing of six appeals filed against the judgment delivered by the Bayelsa Governorship election petition tribunal.

The tribunal had on 17th August nullified the election of Governor Douye Diri and his deputy, Lawrence Ewhrudjakpo on grounds that the Independent National Electoral Commission unlawfully excluded the Advanced National Democratic Party from the November 16, 2019 governorship election in the state.

The appeals before the court is filed by Governor Douye Diri, INEC, PDP, Ibinene Stephen, Owei Woniwei and Vijah Opuma
https://www.tvcnews.tv/court-begins-hearing-of-appeals-filed-against-bayelsa-govship-election-tribunal/

So inec even appealed the andp judgement self
Garfield1
Fergie

They were always going to appeal it na
Re: Court Begins Hearing Of Appeals Filed Against Bayelsa Gov’ship Election Tribunal by AAA593: 1:25pm On Sep 10, 2020
garfield1:

They were always going to appeal it na
OK sir
Re: Court Begins Hearing Of Appeals Filed Against Bayelsa Gov’ship Election Tribunal by fergie001: 1:41pm On Sep 10, 2020
I have been following since 10am.

6 appeals are before the Court but hearing for now, is for the nullification.

Stephen Adah (JCA) is leading two others.

INEC & PDP also appealed.

The panel for now has fined the PDP Two hundred thousand naira (N200,000) for withdrawing an argument and wasting the time of ANDP.
Re: Court Begins Hearing Of Appeals Filed Against Bayelsa Gov’ship Election Tribunal by AAA593: 1:42pm On Sep 10, 2020
fergie001:

6 appeals are before the Court but hearing is for the nullification for now.

The panel for now has fined the PDP Two hundred thousand naira (N200,000) for withdrawing an argument and wasting the time of ANDP.

Which argument sir
Re: Court Begins Hearing Of Appeals Filed Against Bayelsa Gov’ship Election Tribunal by AAA593: 1:43pm On Sep 10, 2020
fergie001:

APC boys were carrying rumour that inec didn't appeal
Re: Court Begins Hearing Of Appeals Filed Against Bayelsa Gov’ship Election Tribunal by fergie001: 1:44pm On Sep 10, 2020
AAA593:

Which argument sir
The precise argument is unclear but it was filed by the PDP on September 3rd and they applied to withdraw it.

They were fined for the inconveniences caused the ANDP.

AAA593:

APC boys were carrying rumour that inec didn't appeal
I told you they will nah.
Re: Court Begins Hearing Of Appeals Filed Against Bayelsa Gov’ship Election Tribunal by AAA593: 1:46pm On Sep 10, 2020
fergie001:

The precise argument is unclear but it was filed by the PDP on September 3rd and they applied to withdraw it.

They were fined for the inconveniences caused the ANDP.

I told you they will nah.
Yeah. How is the nullification case going?
Re: Court Begins Hearing Of Appeals Filed Against Bayelsa Gov’ship Election Tribunal by fergie001: 1:49pm On Sep 10, 2020
AAA593:

Yeah. How is the nullification case going?
No news for now.....but this is just hearing though they could still stand down judgement for today.

October 15/17 is the deadline....Still very far.....I still think they will want to consolidate all the appeals.
Re: Court Begins Hearing Of Appeals Filed Against Bayelsa Gov’ship Election Tribunal by fergie001: 2:04pm On Sep 10, 2020
Case has been adjourned to September 14.
Re: Court Begins Hearing Of Appeals Filed Against Bayelsa Gov’ship Election Tribunal by garfield1: 2:19pm On Sep 10, 2020
fergie001:

No,them for rule today na
Re: Court Begins Hearing Of Appeals Filed Against Bayelsa Gov’ship Election Tribunal by fergie001: 2:22pm On Sep 10, 2020
garfield1:

No,them for rule today na
grin grin
Re: Court Begins Hearing Of Appeals Filed Against Bayelsa Gov’ship Election Tribunal by AAA593: 3:46pm On Sep 10, 2020
fergie001:

These guys are funny here o. They are saying that PDP has filed for withdrawal

Re: Court Begins Hearing Of Appeals Filed Against Bayelsa Gov’ship Election Tribunal by agabusta: 3:50pm On Sep 10, 2020
AAA593:

Comprehension challenges
Re: Court Begins Hearing Of Appeals Filed Against Bayelsa Gov’ship Election Tribunal by fergie001: 4:01pm On Sep 10, 2020
AAA593:

It is ignorance, please don't blame them.
Diri was not fined. His appeal will come up on Monday.

When you see these comments....Please don't laugh, just move to the next page.
Re: Court Begins Hearing Of Appeals Filed Against Bayelsa Gov’ship Election Tribunal by IamWonderful: 4:02pm On Sep 10, 2020
Although there isn't much that will come out of it, Diri have bribed ANDP party leaders, they will frustrate the case.
Re: Court Begins Hearing Of Appeals Filed Against Bayelsa Gov’ship Election Tribunal by agabusta: 5:38pm On Sep 10, 2020
fergie001:

It is ignorance, please don't blame them.
Diri was not fined. His appeal will come up on Monday.

When you see these comments....Please don'tt laugh, just move to the next page.

I think you and the other guy are the actual ignorant ones.
Re: Court Begins Hearing Of Appeals Filed Against Bayelsa Gov’ship Election Tribunal by fergie001: 5:52pm On Sep 10, 2020
agabusta:

K
Re: Court Begins Hearing Of Appeals Filed Against Bayelsa Gov’ship Election Tribunal by AAA593: 6:29pm On Sep 10, 2020
agabusta:

Tell us what happened at the court of appeal then since you have another version
Re: Court Begins Hearing Of Appeals Filed Against Bayelsa Gov’ship Election Tribunal by fergie001: 6:31pm On Sep 10, 2020
AAA593:

Tell us what happened at the court of appeal then since you have another version
You even have time.....
Re: Court Begins Hearing Of Appeals Filed Against Bayelsa Gov’ship Election Tribunal by mosdii(m): 7:06pm On Sep 10, 2020
Let's see how it goes, meanwhile I'm a full fledged Bayelsan and I know what's on ground to some extent.
Re: Court Begins Hearing Of Appeals Filed Against Bayelsa Gov’ship Election Tribunal by AAA593: 7:02am On Sep 11, 2020
Barr. Suokiri Jackson wrote:

RE- APPEAL COURT AWARD OF 200,000 COST AGAINST PDP TODAY IN THE CASE OF ANDP V INEC & ORS: THE TRUTH OF WHAT HAPPENED.

Arising from the majority judgement of the Bayelsa State 2019 Governorship election tribunal, INEC, HIS EXCELLENCY, SENATOR DOUYE DIRI and PDP earlier filed their notices of appeal and subsequently their appellate briefs. ANDP had equally filed its respondent brief accordingly in the court of Appeal, Abuja. Later PDP engaged a SAN to join and lead its team.
The SAN filed a new appellate brief and today moved a motion to withdraw the earlier appellate brief filed by the former counsel that was leading the PDP team. ANDP objected that it has joined issues and responded to the earlier appellate brief filed by PDP therefore the new brief filed by PDP should not be allowed, because it will cause ANDP great inconvenience to respond to the new PDP appellate brief.
The ANDP team demanded that alternatively even if the new PDP appellate brief will be allowed, heavy cost be awarded against PDP. The Appeal Court allowed the motion by the PDP legal team and granted its application to withdraw its earlier appellate brief, maintaining that since PDP filed its notice of appeal and first appellate brief within time, it has right to withdraw its former appellate brief and change it with a new one.
The Court however added that given that the new PDP appellate brief will cause inconvenience to the ANDP, a cost of #200,000 is awarded against PDP.

3 Likes

Re: Court Begins Hearing Of Appeals Filed Against Bayelsa Gov’ship Election Tribunal by Xpol: 7:54am On Sep 11, 2020
Follow your path to progress rather than following political matters keenly so that your children will not ask you questions tomorrow.....

Xpol
Xpol
Xpol
Re: Court Begins Hearing Of Appeals Filed Against Bayelsa Gov’ship Election Tribunal by AAA593: 7:35am On Sep 12, 2020
fergie001:

You even have time.....
Morning Sir. I heard that the other faction of andp filed an application to join the case at the appeal court on thursday. The application will be determined by Monday next week. What do you think sir?
Re: Court Begins Hearing Of Appeals Filed Against Bayelsa Gov’ship Election Tribunal by muykem: 8:01am On Sep 12, 2020
Appeal court doesn't need to waste time on this case. They need to answer only two questions.
1. Is INEC has power to disqualify a candidate that doesn't meet constitution requirements without a recourse to court?
2. After a party has validly nominated a candidate. Is letter from INEC to the party concerning eligibility of their candidate has any legal backing?

Answer to this two questions lies the judgement.

1 Like

Re: Court Begins Hearing Of Appeals Filed Against Bayelsa Gov’ship Election Tribunal by AAA593: 1:35pm On Sep 12, 2020
muykem:
Appeal court doesn't need to waste time on this case. They need to answer only two questions.
1. Is INEC has power to disqualify a candidate that doesn't meet constitution requirements without a recourse to court?
2. After a party has validly nominated a candidate. Is letter from INEC to the party concerning eligibility of their candidate has any legal backing?

Answer to this two questions lies the judgement.
Did andp approach the court after inec removed its party logo as required by our constitution?
Do you need any legal backings to reject an underage candidate?
Can an underage candidate be validly nominated?
Did you read DPP supreme court judgement against Inec and yaya bello?
Re: Court Begins Hearing Of Appeals Filed Against Bayelsa Gov’ship Election Tribunal by baralatie(m): 2:00pm On Sep 12, 2020
fergie001:
ok
Re: Court Begins Hearing Of Appeals Filed Against Bayelsa Gov’ship Election Tribunal by garfield1: 2:36pm On Sep 12, 2020
mosdii:
Let's see how it goes, meanwhile I'm a full fledged Bayelsan and I know what's on ground to some extent.

What is on ground
Re: Court Begins Hearing Of Appeals Filed Against Bayelsa Gov’ship Election Tribunal by fergie001: 2:38pm On Sep 12, 2020
AAA593:

Morning Sir. I heard that the other faction of andp filed an application to join the case at the appeal court on thursday. The application will be determined by Monday next week. What do you think sir?
Yes, they did.
The application will also be looked into on Monday.

The factional members allege that the so-called Chairman who filed the case had long been suspended by the Party in December.

Secondly, that they endorsed Diri before the Guber elections and wouldn't have gone back to file a case against him and his party.

Thirdly, that they were unaware of the case in Court.

These are their own statements.....The ANDP Chair will also file his before we know where to go.
LM & UPC have better cases at the Appeal not ANDP.

The Court will decide afterwards.

PS: ....The last person you quoted came into that Supreme Court thread you created and ran away. I saw him but laughed.
On this Bayelsa case, don't reply everyone.
Re: Court Begins Hearing Of Appeals Filed Against Bayelsa Gov’ship Election Tribunal by AAA593: 2:53pm On Sep 12, 2020
fergie001:

Yes, they did.
The application will also be looked into on Monday.

The factional members allege that the so-called Chairman who filed the case had long been suspended by the Party in December.

Secondly, that they endorsed Diri before the Guber elections and wouldn't have gone back to file a case against him and his party.

Thirdly, that they were unaware of the case in Court.

These are their own statements.....The ANDP Chair will also file his before we know where to go.
LM & UPC have better cases at the Appeal not ANDP.

The Court will decide afterwards.

PS: ....The last person you quoted came into that Supreme Court thread you created and ran away. I saw him but laughed.
On this Bayelsa case, don't reply everyone.
LM & UPC better cases as in
Re: Court Begins Hearing Of Appeals Filed Against Bayelsa Gov’ship Election Tribunal by fergie001: 3:09pm On Sep 12, 2020
AAA593:

LM & UPC better cases as in
LM is talking about Certificate.
UPC is talking about non-compliance with the provisions of the Electoral Act...(the Court will throw it away).

I mean that their cases are better than that of the ANDP.
Re: Court Begins Hearing Of Appeals Filed Against Bayelsa Gov’ship Election Tribunal by muykem: 7:23pm On Sep 12, 2020
AAA593:

Did andp approach the court after inec removed its party logo as required by our constitution?
Do you need any legal backings to reject an underage candidate?
Can an underage candidate be validly nominated?
Did you read DPP supreme court judgement against Inec and yaya bello?
All your questions were already included in my two questions. I am not judge to determine the case.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Governor Dapo Abiodun Is the Most Useless Governor In Sw / BREAKING! Dele Momodu Blasts S.E Govs Over The Formation Of Ebubeagu: See For Yo / ...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.