Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,941 members, 7,817,757 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:43 PM

Bountiful First Harvest In My Tomato Farm - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Bountiful First Harvest In My Tomato Farm (20925 Views)

Man Shows Bountiful Harvest Of The Yam He Planted During Lockdown / Ogun State Begins Dry Season Harvest In Youth Rice Production Project / Tomato Jos: Mira Mehta Shows The Largest Active Tomato Farm In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bountiful First Harvest In My Tomato Farm by Obatobi1(m): 7:04pm On Sep 15, 2020
folmus:
This surrounding looks like a residential area. How do you cope with security of the farm?

The building you see around is office and farm house meant for farm workers and security.
The only other thing around are a few rocks

1 Like

Re: Bountiful First Harvest In My Tomato Farm by Denis08: 10:24pm On Sep 15, 2020
Wow, nice harvest for the first time, congratulations! I also have an agriculture business so I understand your emotions. By the way, do not repeat my mistakes and do not buy cheap parts. My first irrigation system was so bad, the valves were leaking. That was all because of not qualitative Chinese valves. Very soon I had to change them all and I found great valves on https://anixusa.com/. They all are super qualitative and work for years already. Also, they are not much more expensive than the Chinese valves that I bought in the beginning. Best of luck in the future, pal)
Re: Bountiful First Harvest In My Tomato Farm by oyinlekan1: 11:15pm On Sep 15, 2020
Please what variety of tomato � you planted
Re: Bountiful First Harvest In My Tomato Farm by Obatobi1(m): 6:01pm On Sep 16, 2020
folmus:
This surrounding looks like a residential area. How do you cope with security of the farm?

It actually is not a residential area, the structures you see there are office and farm house for workers
Re: Bountiful First Harvest In My Tomato Farm by okoroemeka(m): 8:53pm On Sep 16, 2020
Obatobi1:

Its the first production, so plus irrigation systems and plastic mulch, its cost about 950k
I think #950k for 4 plots of drip irrigated tomatoes farm is a bit costly, considering we have installed drip on a similar aize tomatoes farm and it took 2:rolls of 1500 meters +: accessories@#70k per roll to complete the job(#70k ×2 =#140k + #20-30k PVC mainline and other expenses), ridging #24k ,#6k per plot, clearing #20k,manure one tipper #25k,fertilizer and agrochemicals #150k,staking /bamboo #40k, weeding #14-15k,I can't fully recall the tiny expense but this are the main money guzzlers

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bountiful First Harvest In My Tomato Farm by dmz1: 8:55pm On Sep 16, 2020
congrats. we are looking forward on the step by step way in farming tomatoes in the south. please quickly teach us
Re: Bountiful First Harvest In My Tomato Farm by grandpoh(m): 10:03pm On Sep 16, 2020
Kudos OP
I did tomatoes as well and am still harvesting though without irrigation and the result was wonderful
I’m definitely going to provide irrigation for the dry season
Btw am on my 10th harvest atm

1 Like

Re: Bountiful First Harvest In My Tomato Farm by Obatobi1(m): 10:20pm On Sep 16, 2020
okoroemeka:
I think #950k for 4 plots of drip irrigated tomatoes farm is a bit costly, considering we have installed drip on a similar aize tomatoes farm and it took 2:rolls of 1500 meters +: accessories@#70k per roll to complete the job(#70k ×2 =#140k + #20-30k PVC mainline and other expenses), ridging #24k ,#6k per plot, clearing #20k,manure one tipper #25k,fertilizer and agrochemicals #150k,staking /bamboo #40k, weeding #14-15k,I can't fully recall the tiny expense but this are the main money guzzlers

Did you consider the plastic mulch, the cost of seeds (I used hybrid seeds), the cost of the nursery (seedling tray, cocoa peat, nursery house construction) and a host of other expenses that could be very difficult to account for.....not forgetting wages of worker. I can tell you the expenses is more than what is mentioned earlier

3 Likes

Re: Bountiful First Harvest In My Tomato Farm by Obatobi1(m): 10:33pm On Sep 16, 2020
grandpoh:
Kudos OP
I did tomatoes as well and am still harvesting though without irrigation and the result was wonderful

Nice one, had to hire extra hands for the harvest
Re: Bountiful First Harvest In My Tomato Farm by Obatobi1(m): 10:35pm On Sep 16, 2020
grandpoh:
Kudos OP

Definitely, I'm trying to get the pictures together, I just realized I've not been taking enough pictures all the while, but you can reach me on 07068990624 if you really need to speak to me urgently
Re: Bountiful First Harvest In My Tomato Farm by Obatobi1(m): 10:36pm On Sep 16, 2020
dmz1:
congrats. we are looking forward on the step by step way in farming tomatoes in the south. please quickly teach us

Definitely, I'm trying to get the pictures together, I just realized I've not been taking enough pictures all the while, but you can reach me on 07068990624 if you really need to speak to me urgently
Re: Bountiful First Harvest In My Tomato Farm by Obatobi1(m): 10:38pm On Sep 16, 2020
oyinlekan1:
Please what variety of tomato � you planted

Padma
Re: Bountiful First Harvest In My Tomato Farm by oyinlekan1: 10:42pm On Sep 16, 2020
Thanks for your reply
Did you know where I can get thePadma
seed they introduced me to someone and he said for now it's not available
Re: Bountiful First Harvest In My Tomato Farm by Emmafly(m): 1:30pm On Sep 17, 2020
Obatobi1:

Did you consider the plastic mulch, the cost of seeds (I used hybrid seeds), the cost of the nursery (seedling tray, cocoa peat, nursery house construction) and a host of other expenses that could be very difficult to account for.....not forgetting wages of worker. I can tell you the expenses is more than what is mentioned earlier

Dear readers,

I must commend the OP for taking a very bold step considering this is like his first major project.
There is always a trade-off between getting things right and profitability. I would prefer the OP way of getting things right first and later talk of profitability in subsequent projects. But from my observation, the OP has done the needful especially in terms of mulching which most farmers usually overlook.
I will like to advise fellow farmers to also implement this mulching technique. I will also try it in my dry season ugu farm as it will go a long way in surface water conservation in my swamp farming.
I wish the OP a bountiful harvest.
Emmanuel.

7 Likes

Re: Bountiful First Harvest In My Tomato Farm by Obatobi1(m): 6:00pm On Sep 17, 2020
Emmafly:

Dear readers,

I must commend the OP for taking a very bold step considering this is like his first major project.
There is always a trade-off between getting things right and profitability. I would prefer the OP way of getting things right first and later talk of profitability in subsequent projects. But from my observation, the OP has done the needful especially in terms of mulching which most farmers usually overlook.
I will like to advise fellow farmers to also implement this mulching technique. I will also try it in my dry season ugu farm as it will go a long way in surface water conservation in my swamp farming.
Emmanuel.

Thank you very much. In the last one week, I have sold over fifty crates, which means I have made over quarter of the expenses already.

I can tell that employing the best agronomic practices and following them up religiously, you are definitely sure of making profits. My target is to at least make up with the cost incurred in setting up the place (which I am definitely near that already), subsequent productions is simply profits upon profits.

Also, it is not my first production, but the first on this very land.

4 Likes

Re: Bountiful First Harvest In My Tomato Farm by ezugegere(m): 9:59pm On Sep 17, 2020
Emmafly:

Dear readers,

Emmanuel.

Do you mean to say 'staking' or 'mulching'?
Re: Bountiful First Harvest In My Tomato Farm by okoroemeka(m): 10:26pm On Sep 17, 2020
Padma F1,me and you have a date in the bush from January
Re: Bountiful First Harvest In My Tomato Farm by mcdokwe(m): 11:42pm On Sep 17, 2020
Quite impressive, op do keep it up
Re: Bountiful First Harvest In My Tomato Farm by Obatobi1(m): 12:59pm On Sep 18, 2020
ezugegere:

Do you mean to say 'staking' or 'mulching'?

Staking and mulching are two different things, and they are both very important to
Re: Bountiful First Harvest In My Tomato Farm by Obatobi1(m): 1:01pm On Sep 18, 2020
okoroemeka:
Padma F1,me and you have a date in the bush from January

Bring it on my brother. All out in full force!!!

1 Like

Re: Bountiful First Harvest In My Tomato Farm by Obatobi1(m): 1:02pm On Sep 18, 2020
mcdokwe:
Quite impressive, op do keep it up

Thank you very much
Re: Bountiful First Harvest In My Tomato Farm by Harmony63: 10:53am On Sep 19, 2020
Please which location is a medium basket is 11k sir
okoroemeka:
Today I priced medium basket of tomatoes in the market,they said #11k,from what I am seeing harvested will be up to 5-6 such basket,well done OP,it is not easy
Re: Bountiful First Harvest In My Tomato Farm by okoroemeka(m): 10:06am On Sep 20, 2020
Harmony63:
Please which location is a medium basket is 11k sir
orumba south LGA,anambra state
Re: Bountiful First Harvest In My Tomato Farm by Obatobi1(m): 10:03am On Sep 23, 2020
Fashion eveolves and get out of vogue, cars, phones, houses gets out of vogue...but Agriculture??it never goes out.

No wonder a lot of wealthy men are shifting focus from oil to IT and Agriculture.

I can categorically tell, AGRICULTURE PAYS!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bountiful First Harvest In My Tomato Farm by Obatobi1(m): 10:05am On Sep 23, 2020
See what I'm saying

2 Likes

Re: Bountiful First Harvest In My Tomato Farm by Calebigor(m): 10:17am On Sep 23, 2020
Obatobi1:

Idanre
You can hit me up on 07068990624
Thanks
Re: Bountiful First Harvest In My Tomato Farm by Obatobi1(m): 6:56pm On Sep 25, 2020
And pepper coming out too. Large fruits and very hot.
The stew made with just a few fruits came out really hot and peppery.

2 Likes

Re: Bountiful First Harvest In My Tomato Farm by Obatobi1(m): 6:58pm On Sep 25, 2020
And the long ones too

1 Like

Re: Bountiful First Harvest In My Tomato Farm by IamAsiri: 8:35pm On Sep 25, 2020
Obatobi1:
And pepper coming out too. Large fruits and very hot.
The stew made with just a few fruits came out really hot and peppery.

Please what variety did you plant?
Re: Bountiful First Harvest In My Tomato Farm by Obatobi1(m): 8:48pm On Sep 25, 2020
IamAsiri:

Piquante (from east west)
Re: Bountiful First Harvest In My Tomato Farm by Obatobi1(m): 8:49pm On Sep 25, 2020
IamAsiri:

The Long one is demon F1 (chilli pepper), also from east west seeds
Re: Bountiful First Harvest In My Tomato Farm by IamAsiri: 8:51pm On Sep 25, 2020
Obatobi1:

The Long one is demon F1 (chilli pepper), also from east west seeds

Okay, thanks.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

How Profitable Pepper Farming Is In Nigeria / Made In Nigeria Frozen Chicken / Get Your Nafdac Registration Number In 3months

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.