|Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New|
Stats: 2,886,707 members, 6,937,425 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 June 2022 at 09:54 PM
Elsevier Recognises Landmark’s Exploit In Scopus Publication / Nigerian Universities With The Highest Amount Of Research(scopus) Output / Top 5 Nigerian Universities In Computer Science Research - SCOPUS (2) (3) (4)
|Scopus Journals by Policymatters: 2:37pm On Sep 14, 2020|
Why scopus cannot be trusted for quality control in scientific publishing:
1. Most scopus journals have narrow theme, thereby leading to unnecessary rejection of papers
2. Most of them appears to embrace papers rejection as a good sign of quality for a journal
3. New journals of less than 3 years old do not get listed in scopus especially if they are not published by old big commercial publishers. This stunts expansion of research publishing, limits the number of choices available for researchers to publish their research; and cause scholars to publish only in old journals.
4. As corollary to the above, authors who must publish in journals listed in scopus, will not enjoy the benefit of publishing in new journals less than Volume 3.
5. Scopus is owned and managed by Elsevier which is a commercial publisher. This implies that Scopus cannot be impartial in the judgement of other publishers.
6. Scopus is not a database like index copernicus. It is just an endless list of journals elsevier and their workers judging by their eyes are good.
What is the way forward for scholars?
1. Do not think your paper has high quality because it is published in a journal listed by scopus. You will be deceiving yourself.
2. Publish your research in journals indexed by Google Scholar and Index Copernicus where they can gain suffecient exposure. If your research paper gains adequate exposure through search engines (made possible by Google Scholar and ICI World of Journals,) you can tell if you have done a good research work or not. This is because a novel research work with good quality will be cited over and over again by scholars across disciplines. Think of How Europe Underdeveloped Africa; you probably have the author's name on your mind already. Without being listed in Web of Science(WoS), it is widely used and recommended by scholars.
3. How about Animal Farm? It' s a creative work of Art not recorded in the minds of people beceause of its listing in Scopus but because of its content.
In summary, scholars should seek to ensure their papers and books are published in online platforms indexed in databases that will give them needed exposure. For what you need after your research has been done, colleagues have made their inputs and publishers have published, is your work to be available to the public for use and consumption. If a publisher is publishing junk science, it is not scopus or WoS that will tell us. We as researchers will know and not cite it in our own research. Except you are a bad researcher, looking for some list to make you feel good about your paper, you do not need Scopus and the other lists. Great scholars are not determined by scopus journals they publish in, but the quality of their works.
|Re: Scopus Journals by SocialJustice: 2:55pm On Sep 14, 2020|
Who do you think you are to speak in such condescending manner about Scopus and Elsevier?
Well, you and your opinion are too insignificant to be considered or to count for anything.
|Re: Scopus Journals by Nobody: 5:23pm On Sep 14, 2020|
Nigerians...baba if you no fit write paper that will get accepted in a Scopus journal... just pay people to help you.... leave this your argument
|Re: Scopus Journals by Policymatters: 8:30pm On Sep 15, 2020|
Of course, I do not speak for myself. I speak for you people who still suffer from academic colonialism, technologically backward and unable to free yourselves from psychological slavery and subservience. I have my papers in journals listed by Scopus. And I have helped others to get published in Scopus. I equally review papers for scopus journals. But, get into your head, outside Nigeria, Scopus is of very little significance.
|Re: Scopus Journals by Policymatters: 8:38pm On Sep 15, 2020|
SocialJustice:Get it into your head, Scopus is overrated by Nigerian academics. Even as I write, I have a paper from a journal listed by Scopus, sent to me for review.
|Re: Scopus Journals by SocialJustice: 10:07pm On Sep 15, 2020|
Policymatters:Lol, go and sleep. Good luck with wasting your time trying to pull them down.
Buhari Approves Special Salary Scale For Teachers, Increases Years Of Service / Proprietor Briefs Senator Akpabio On Proposed Top Faith University / Bilateral Education Agreement; ever seen your Result?
|Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health |
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket
Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2022 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58