Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,916 members, 7,956,438 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 11:59 AM

The Best Ogene Musicians In Igboland (videos) - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Best Ogene Musicians In Igboland (videos) (45577 Views)

Beautiful Russian Girls Speaking Igbo & Dancing Ogene / A Nairalander Witnesses Iwa Akwa (Wearing Of Cloth) Ceremony In Igboland / How Children Of The Dead Share Proceed Made From Funeral Ceremonies In Igboland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Best Ogene Musicians In Igboland (videos) by iddonla: 9:54pm On Sep 20, 2020
007sledge:
Saheed osupa Is bigger than all this Igbo ogene musicians combined

No cao

Bleep off

3 Likes

Re: The Best Ogene Musicians In Igboland (videos) by obiekunie2: 9:56pm On Sep 20, 2020
here are some real ogene music!

Egwu anyi ji eje n'ammuo!

the sounds, the opi, the ogene will be raising your hair as u listen to them!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMjEZBRWQlA

ndi otiti n'eti!

ndi oyo n'ayo!

Okwana anyi n'eme nu mmadu ogbawa apiti mgba! WORD!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mFrfe4yLeo

anuka!
egwu eji eje n'alusi!

ogene anuka! ndimmuo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-B1KC995b8&pp=QAA%3D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-B1KC995b8

then come Nkpakija enugu-ugwu(awutolu na Fada!)! oke ibu!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spPDsyDp97k

Ogene akwa ndi igbo is one of the recent younger ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOCeRTARUTU

6 Likes

Re: The Best Ogene Musicians In Igboland (videos) by mattmogan88: 10:01pm On Sep 20, 2020
Ogene music is very sweet because I will be SHAKING MY HEAD while listening to it grin

2 Likes

Re: The Best Ogene Musicians In Igboland (videos) by ellovee(m): 10:03pm On Sep 20, 2020
If you have any of his shows share let's do the comparison
RedboneSmith:
Udubonch deserves a place on this list.

1 Like

Re: The Best Ogene Musicians In Igboland (videos) by Nobody: 10:05pm On Sep 20, 2020
I'm Igbo but not so much into Ogene music. I like Udubunch grin grin

2 Likes

Re: The Best Ogene Musicians In Igboland (videos) by RedboneSmith(m): 10:06pm On Sep 20, 2020
Jonathan39:
You don't know of Osama maliaka from Awka?

I knew Ausuma before I knew the others. That doesn't change the fact that Enugu has more renowned Ogene players than other southeast states, which is what I was saying.

Ausuma is already on the list by the OP. Give us another renowned name if you have one.

2 Likes

Re: The Best Ogene Musicians In Igboland (videos) by RedboneSmith(m): 10:09pm On Sep 20, 2020
Afam4eva:
@RedboneSmith Is Ogene a thing in Anioma. I ransacked Youtube for any Anioma ogene musician but didn't find any.

We have ogene. We call it agogo though. But we don't have a music genre developed around it, like Enugu/Anambre people seem to have done.

2 Likes

Re: The Best Ogene Musicians In Igboland (videos) by RedboneSmith(m): 10:10pm On Sep 20, 2020
teresades:

Address the guy as an individual. Supremacist ko? Supremacist no?

Did I address him as a village before?
Re: The Best Ogene Musicians In Igboland (videos) by justli: 10:10pm On Sep 20, 2020
Ogene, pure love for it sound. I can't stop smiling sheepishly whenever a nice ogene plays. Thanks for the list

2 Likes

Re: The Best Ogene Musicians In Igboland (videos) by ibawon(m): 10:10pm On Sep 20, 2020
The SOUND is touching my soul.
and the Bass of their instrument is second to Non. Their voice sef come carry weight.
I'm not Igbo, but you don't have to understand a language to enjoy it's MUSIC

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Best Ogene Musicians In Igboland (videos) by fujirice: 10:28pm On Sep 20, 2020
Op, Awutolo from Anambra is also very good but I don’t think he has a YouTube channel.

2 Likes

Re: The Best Ogene Musicians In Igboland (videos) by Awoo88: 10:28pm On Sep 20, 2020
Juliusmalema:
Trash.
Ode raise to power 2.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Best Ogene Musicians In Igboland (videos) by Chinny024(f): 10:31pm On Sep 20, 2020
Where's pami Udu bunchi

Shidodo...
Among others grin

2 Likes

Re: The Best Ogene Musicians In Igboland (videos) by Heffalump(m): 10:44pm On Sep 20, 2020
Juliusmalema:

how does this transcend to ogene musician in igboland?

You listed ogene musicians in Enugu and dubbed it igboland as cover up..

The title should be the best Ogene musicians in Enugu state.

Is Enugu not part of Igbo again? Enugu cultural heritage is Igbo. Please be guided.

1 Like

Re: The Best Ogene Musicians In Igboland (videos) by Jaelluiz: 10:50pm On Sep 20, 2020
Where is odumeje?

1 Like

Re: The Best Ogene Musicians In Igboland (videos) by Edoziesmart(m): 11:24pm On Sep 20, 2020
PericomaNwankwo:
Both the Beat and lyrics of Enugu ogene is junior. When you listen to Awka or other inner Igbo towns ogene you'll not miss that archaic Igbotic feeling.
Mention any one you now that is better than this enugu ogene people.

I'm waiting

1 Like

Re: The Best Ogene Musicians In Igboland (videos) by Edoziesmart(m): 11:25pm On Sep 20, 2020
Heffalump:

Is Enugu not part of Igbo again? Enugu cultural heritage is Igbo. Please be guided.

That guy you are quoting is not from igbo rather à tribal bigot

1 Like

Re: The Best Ogene Musicians In Igboland (videos) by shaggy007(m): 11:36pm On Sep 20, 2020
Afam4eva:
Actually, this is not a list of the best Ogene musicians. Rather it's a list of Ogene musicians that you need to know if you don't already know them. They're my favourites at the moment,

Ogene is a style of Igbo music consisting of, and taking its name from, the ogene instrument, which is a large metal bell.[1] The Ogene instrument has historically been made by the Igbo people of Nigeria. It is one of the most important metal instruments of the people.

-Wikipedia

Now, here's a few of them.

1. Ejyke nwamba - I like this guy because he's the most forward forward thinking among all Ogene musicians that i know because of how he brings his talent to Social Media especially Youtube and Instagram. I also like his Enugu flair of Ogene which in my opinion is the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBdvAD_s6hA

2. Jajaja : This is another top Ogene Musician and he's reputed to be the best in Enugu State and probably the whole of Igboland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1QnDbDJfu8&t=1s

3. Ausuma Malaika: He's one of the best Ogene musicians in Anambra. Him and his crew are based in Awka. I also like the fact that e has a Youtube Channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5Wun24tQDI

4 Opanka Ogene: This is anotehr great Ogene musician from Enugu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YABtk14hF4A

I just corrected the first name : ejyk nwamba

3 Likes

Re: The Best Ogene Musicians In Igboland (videos) by iamfrankoben: 11:41pm On Sep 20, 2020
Juliusmalema:
Trash.
yoruba muslim

2 Likes

Re: The Best Ogene Musicians In Igboland (videos) by Nobody: 11:54pm On Sep 20, 2020
cool
Re: The Best Ogene Musicians In Igboland (videos) by oglalasioux(m): 12:11am On Sep 21, 2020
They will soon spoil it with guitars and piano like Morroco did to ekpili music.

1 Like

Re: The Best Ogene Musicians In Igboland (videos) by Nobody: 12:50am On Sep 21, 2020
RedboneSmith:

Did I address him as a village before?
You sef dey fall hands. So JuliusMalema aka Osagyefo, Meleszenawi, IDENNA the imposter is whom you foolishly label Igbo? Between you and him, I don’t know who is more foolish. I want to believe you’re a clown for still not knowing that the dude and all his monikers have never even cross Agbor let alone come from Igboland.
Re: The Best Ogene Musicians In Igboland (videos) by GBOLAGBURUGBURU(m): 1:13am On Sep 21, 2020
UdechiHD:
You sef dey fall hands. So JuliusMalema aka Osagyefo, Meleszenawi, IDENNA the imposter is whom you foolishly label Igbo? Between you and him, I don’t know who is more foolish. I want to believe you’re a clown for still not knowing that the dude and all his monikers have never even cross Agbor let alone come from Igboland.
I Thought IDENA is odenigboaroli that guy is a bonafide nwafo naa... or am i mistaken.
Re: The Best Ogene Musicians In Igboland (videos) by davillian(m): 1:15am On Sep 21, 2020
My grand pa
Does ogene
And this is different from what I know as ogene....
Probably the new generation ogene ....

I would prefer that of my grand pa
Even if they don't say a word
The instrumental will take you away....
And before you know it you already on your feet...

3 Likes

Re: The Best Ogene Musicians In Igboland (videos) by KosiGee(m): 1:17am On Sep 21, 2020
RedboneSmith:

Leave him. I know him and I know why he's pained. He's an Anambra supremacist. He's pained that the OP mentioned only one Anambra ogene player. Ngwanu, help us and add more Anambra ogene players, he can't. Because he doesn't know any.

Calm down bro. This isn’t an Anambra vs Enugu fight. I don’t know how old you are or how old some of the posters here are including Afam.

Ogene actually is an Anambra thing. Agaba, Okwomma, Okoti masquerades were very popular in Anambra back in the days and the primary musical instruments for these legendary masquerades are Ogene.

Nri, Agukwu, Enugwu ukwu, Awka, Achi towns were very popular with their masquerades and ogene sounds. These were when the Inyiagbaoku masquerades were very popular in Enugu....

In the 70s/80s, if you went to Obiagu and Onuasata during Easter, New Year and other festivities, the big masquerades were Ayaya masquerades...Ejike Nwamba honed his ogene skills as a child celebrity with Ayaya...pioneers of this great masquerade were mixed...Anambra, Enugu and Imo residents in Enugu....

Then you have the Ogui Boys from Oba street, Egede Lane, Ogidi st etc. This was mainly populated by people who work at the ‘ Timber shed’ around Oba street. Most of these workers and Ogui Boys group were from Ekwulobia town.

Around Moore House st Ogui, there was the Moorwhouse boys headed by Ogenna Ikeme who was at National grammar school Nike at the time, he later played for Rangers and Vasco. Then there another guy who leads or holds their ite/akpa ogwu...his nick name was Taata. One young ogene celebrity called Chido was their chief ogene man, Chido attended Maryland Boys.

There was no distinction between Anambra and Enugu at the time...but in Okoti, Okwomma masquerades, Anambra people were very conservative, Enugu guys had other masquerades...Amagunze boys had a popular and scary group called ‘Black Children’ of Amagunze. They wore blacks with red bands on their heads. The men who were in this group should be in their 60s-70s now....Ayaya group apart from the Nwambas should be in their 60s-80s...same as Ogui Boys whose slogan was ‘ Ogui adi agba boi.

There were other groups from Abakpa, Awkunanaw.

You can’t really start talking about Ogene music in anywhere without mentioning Ogene Ikpachi of Nri. They had their music on vinyl. Their strength was their ogene songs. Most of what the new generation ogene musicians like Ejike, Igboja, Donchester sing now were old songs done in the 70s-80s by Nri people.

Try and listen to ogene with an unbiased mind.

Igbojaja is popular because he is readily available and interacts with guys who come to Okpara sq to exercise and also his YouTube channels.

Ejike Nwamba is popular, he is an old hand and also has YouTube channel.

Shidodo used to be very popular. He popularised ogene music. His cassettes and CDs could be bought at Obiagu junction.

Pls check out Owoblow and Man pass man. He plays undiluted ogene.

If you love egwu nmanwu and ogene...search and listen to Awutolo and Fada from Enugu Ukwu with their Ogene Nkpakija. Awutolo is dead now but his songs can’t be touched. He is a legend.

If you want to hear and appreciate ogene that’s different from Nwamba and Igbojaja....listen to Ogene Opanka....Ogene Opanka Ijele. This guy is easily recognisable. He balances a bottle of beer or alcohol on his head before he starts. He is really talented. He is into Ogene and Egwu nmanwu.

Then there is Donchester and Jantamanta is is another talented guy.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Best Ogene Musicians In Igboland (videos) by KosiGee(m): 1:23am On Sep 21, 2020
oglalasioux:
They will soon spoil it with guitars and piano like Morroco did to ekpili music.

There are people who are keeping it real.

Owoblow
Malaika of Awka
Awutolo
Opanka ijele from Iwolo

2 Likes

Re: The Best Ogene Musicians In Igboland (videos) by KosiGee(m): 1:31am On Sep 21, 2020
oglalasioux:

You can’t really blame these guys. Times changes and they want to try out things and adapt to popular demands.
Church and it’s influence has dealt traditional ogene a hard blow. Most of the the talents in Ogene genre incorporate various instruments to attract ‘church goers’. Some of them don’t sing traditional ogene/nmanwu songs anymore. They had to sing some gospel or mention Christ and Chineke to sell their musics.

Udubunchi did that, Shidodo tried that. Ejike Nwamba and co are doing that now. They’ve also turned to praise singers to earn cash.

It happens in every music. Even Snoop Dogg would make music with Justin Bieber to attract young teenagers.
Re: The Best Ogene Musicians In Igboland (videos) by IDENNAA(m): 1:31am On Sep 21, 2020
Lol

Well, Enugu has the lead when it comes to OGENE. Anambra nnem has beautiful ogene sound but Enugu is dominating, currently.
Re: The Best Ogene Musicians In Igboland (videos) by IDENNAA(m): 1:32am On Sep 21, 2020
By the way , Ejike Nwamba is really good.

1 Like

Re: The Best Ogene Musicians In Igboland (videos) by IDENNAA(m): 1:34am On Sep 21, 2020
Anambra has been playing OGENE even before Enugu boys became popular. Personally, I think its a shared culture. For instance, the Agaba and Okwomma instruments are strictly OGENE.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

The Official Ukwuani Thread: Ukwuani Bu Ani Eze / Great Yoruba Gospel Music / 4 Things Igbo People Like.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.