Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,199 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:24 AM

Police Evacuate 5 Bodies From Abia Collapsed Building, Arrest Contractor - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Police Evacuate 5 Bodies From Abia Collapsed Building, Arrest Contractor (23090 Views)

How I Survived After Spending 3 Hours Under Lagos Collapsed Building - Survivor / Lagos Govt Releases Official Figures Of Persons That Died In Collapsed Building / Five School Children Rescued From Collapsed Building In Lagos (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Police Evacuate 5 Bodies From Abia Collapsed Building, Arrest Contractor by Metrix147: 6:46pm On Sep 18, 2020
No fewer than 5 dead bodies have been evacuated from the scene of a building collapse at No. 85 Azikiwe Road by Asa road, Aba Abia State, ABN TV reports.

This is according to the State Commissioner of Police, CP Janet E. Agbede.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoBYrwlSoOA

She also said a male survivor who sustained minor injuries was rushed to the hospital, where he was treated and discharged while the contractor who handled the project has been arrested.

Briefing newsmen in Umuahia on Friday, CP Agbede said the dead bodies comprise of two males and three females.

While dispelling reports that the relevant agencies did not take action to rescue trapped victims after the incident, CP Agbede said the Area Commander Aba, ACP Kabiru Ibrahim along with all the DPOs and their personnel within Aba Area Command immediately arrived at the scene, cordoned it and invited other agencies for the rescue mission.

"As at now, five yet to be identified dead bodies of two males and three females have been recovered while one male survivor who sustained minor injuries was rushed to the hospital, where he was treated and discharged.

"However, the contractor, one Bassey Afokwalam m has been arrested and the owner of the building one Emmanuel Ohaka resident in Lagos has been contacted," she said.

CP Agbede who said that the State Governor, Dr. Okezie Ikpeazu has visited the scene for on-the-spot assessment of the situation cautioned the public on the use of non-qualified personnel to execute their building projects.

"It is important to note that His Excellency, the Executive Governor of Abia State, Dr. Okezie Victor Ikpeazu timely arrived the scene for an on the spot assessment of the incident.

"The essence of this briefing is to debunk the baseless reports in some of the Media that the relevant authorities and agencies did not do anything to rescue the trapped victims.

"More efforts have been intensified to ensure proper evacuation of the debris with a view to discovering possible victims, while investigation lasts.

"Furthermore, I wish to use this medium to advice members of the public to ensure that their building projects are handled by qualified Architects, Structural Engineers, and other relevant contractors. This would minimize the occurrence of similar incidents in the future".

Source: https://abntv.ng/2020/09/police-evacuate-5-bodies-from-abia-collapsed-building-arrest-contractor-video/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Police Evacuate 5 Bodies From Abia Collapsed Building, Arrest Contractor by Xucxex1997: 9:39pm On Sep 18, 2020
Anybody selling sub-standard goods=it won't be well for u
Anybody trying to economize while building a house for commercial use=it won't be well for u
Anybody that claims to be an engineer in building meanwhile the person has no or little experience about building a house=it won't be well for u

Finally may the soul of the deceased rest in peace and may God console their families....

FTC

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Police Evacuate 5 Bodies From Abia Collapsed Building, Arrest Contractor by Davicjoe(m): 9:40pm On Sep 18, 2020
Quack contractor
Who knows may b the owner of the building was even using low standard material.

6 Likes

Re: Police Evacuate 5 Bodies From Abia Collapsed Building, Arrest Contractor by WeRblessed(f): 9:40pm On Sep 18, 2020
What a country!

3 Likes

Re: Police Evacuate 5 Bodies From Abia Collapsed Building, Arrest Contractor by Okemmuo(m): 9:40pm On Sep 18, 2020
Chai
Re: Police Evacuate 5 Bodies From Abia Collapsed Building, Arrest Contractor by Authority1o1(m): 9:40pm On Sep 18, 2020
okay...

Innocent souls gone because of an 'aproko' contractor. Men, I don't know why most of these contractors are just so callous. You send in money for quality product, they use fake ones.

One building near my residence collapsed sometimes last year, and the Lagos State govt confiscated the land and ruins, while the owner who was abroad toiling to send in the money received the news with heart break. Las Las Lagos State no wan here say you no know.

A good percentage of building collapse is caused by these heartless contractors, especially when their clients aren't at home.

I pray the deceased families take heart.

6 Likes

Re: Police Evacuate 5 Bodies From Abia Collapsed Building, Arrest Contractor by chrisanderson99: 9:40pm On Sep 18, 2020
Penny wise Pound foolish___ Building with substandard materials at the expense of human lives.

May God grant the souls of the innocent ones that died eternal rest.

1 Like

Re: Police Evacuate 5 Bodies From Abia Collapsed Building, Arrest Contractor by TheSERAPH: 9:40pm On Sep 18, 2020

This life is spiritual, no amount of arrest can

awake the dead from the grave. The death of the

young men came suddenly and caught them

unaware and unexpected. No one knows who is

next, no one knows when they will die. Heaven

and hell is real. Be prepared people for the soon

coming of our Lord Jesus Christ

#GODHaveMercy
#RepentHumans
#JESUSisComingSoon                 

1 Like

Re: Police Evacuate 5 Bodies From Abia Collapsed Building, Arrest Contractor by chukwuibuipob: 9:41pm On Sep 18, 2020
sad Only sand full there,no cement sad.

Contractor wey dem go release after doing the right thing
Re: Police Evacuate 5 Bodies From Abia Collapsed Building, Arrest Contractor by KindlyAssist: 9:41pm On Sep 18, 2020
May The Lord grant them a happy Repose.. Amen.

From legit hustle to brief death.

God bless All Honest Hustlers.
Re: Police Evacuate 5 Bodies From Abia Collapsed Building, Arrest Contractor by Nobody: 9:42pm On Sep 18, 2020
sad....Good job !

Re: Police Evacuate 5 Bodies From Abia Collapsed Building, Arrest Contractor by Samsimple(m): 9:42pm On Sep 18, 2020
This country matter don tire me sef

1 Like

Re: Police Evacuate 5 Bodies From Abia Collapsed Building, Arrest Contractor by lmm4real: 9:42pm On Sep 18, 2020
Lagos is gradually putting the issue of collapse building behind it. The moment they see you looking at an empty plot any how, you get an instant contravention notice. grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Police Evacuate 5 Bodies From Abia Collapsed Building, Arrest Contractor by Nelly4you: 9:43pm On Sep 18, 2020
nawa o Lord have mercy
Dm fir your logo and flyer design
Re: Police Evacuate 5 Bodies From Abia Collapsed Building, Arrest Contractor by Nobody: 9:43pm On Sep 18, 2020
May GOD continue to save us all.
Here to read that end time man post.
pls check my siggy
Re: Police Evacuate 5 Bodies From Abia Collapsed Building, Arrest Contractor by Decolonel(m): 9:43pm On Sep 18, 2020
Rip to the dead. Thank God it wasn't their Osisi oma flyover that collapsed. I'm even scared that the Flyover would collapse any day. But God forbid
Re: Police Evacuate 5 Bodies From Abia Collapsed Building, Arrest Contractor by Lorechino(m): 9:44pm On Sep 18, 2020
Everyday u wake up n see the night just that whatever u worship, it has been death, harassment, brutality, oppression, opposition, assault, even when u are on ur own oooo.

Those nigas wake up some eat some fit no see food yet they went to hustle, but e come be for them

RIP HEROES

Re: Police Evacuate 5 Bodies From Abia Collapsed Building, Arrest Contractor by DreamChaser1672: 9:44pm On Sep 18, 2020
All Nigeria police know is to arrest. Anything arrest arrest. It's saddening. I read of a lady with a restaurant that was arrested just because someone died in her shop and the food they claimed to be poisoned was eaten by many. They will not conduct any investigation or make a move to let the poor lady go if she actually happens to be innocent. Those folks don't care about this country, all they care about is how to make money from every crisis because they know with every detainmemt, you must pay outrageous amount of money as bail. It's saddening walahi. In a saner clime, the next best thing would be to conduct proper investigations, invite structural engineers and try to find whose fault the collapse is. But anything, those paid murderers will start to arrest. I am sorry, Nigeria police just sickens me, they are the only thing I single out in posts these days

5 Likes

Re: Police Evacuate 5 Bodies From Abia Collapsed Building, Arrest Contractor by Josnac(m): 9:44pm On Sep 18, 2020
angry
As bad as this news is, I need to point out that not all Building collapse is caused by substandard materials.

Those who are knowledgeable about building structures and the interconnection between structural elements will understand that a building can still collapse if a single beam is unhooked/tied to a column.

If this structure was being built with substandard materials, it will collapse up to the ground floor, but it appears that, being a two-flat structure, only one half of the building was in distress as a possible result of poor connection between horizontal ties.

There are so many things that could go wrong, the engineer may not even be directly responsible but people under him.
I've seen this happen, but it always lands on the head of the contractor/engineer.

May God grant the families who lost their loved ones to this disaster the fortitude to bear the irreplaceable loss.

4 Likes

Re: Police Evacuate 5 Bodies From Abia Collapsed Building, Arrest Contractor by CalabarPikin: 9:45pm On Sep 18, 2020
Half baked engineers everywhere

1 Like

Re: Police Evacuate 5 Bodies From Abia Collapsed Building, Arrest Contractor by fineboynl(m): 9:45pm On Sep 18, 2020
was it a new building or old? igbo with this 6 flats on tiny land. because of the 6 flat trend. everyone want to have it on 4 flat budget.
Re: Police Evacuate 5 Bodies From Abia Collapsed Building, Arrest Contractor by chukwuibuipob: 9:46pm On Sep 18, 2020
sad
Re: Police Evacuate 5 Bodies From Abia Collapsed Building, Arrest Contractor by Nobody: 9:46pm On Sep 18, 2020
Nigeria is the gateway to hell
Re: Police Evacuate 5 Bodies From Abia Collapsed Building, Arrest Contractor by Olupristine(f): 9:46pm On Sep 18, 2020
Bad news everywhere
Re: Police Evacuate 5 Bodies From Abia Collapsed Building, Arrest Contractor by Honchoslim16(m): 9:47pm On Sep 18, 2020
Goddamn mehn!

A nigga gotta DIE someday.

Period!
Re: Police Evacuate 5 Bodies From Abia Collapsed Building, Arrest Contractor by BeSpect(f): 9:47pm On Sep 18, 2020
tongue
Re: Police Evacuate 5 Bodies From Abia Collapsed Building, Arrest Contractor by Nobody: 9:48pm On Sep 18, 2020
Very bad death

(1) (2) (Reply)

Can ₦2M Finish The Construction Of A 2-Bedroom Flat? / My Tenants Said I Should Give Them 3 Months Free House Rents. / Two-Storey Building Collapses In Rivers state, Three Feared Dead (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.