Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,721 members, 7,809,735 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:06 PM

Alert!! FG Now Wants To Forcefully Convert Our Dorm Account USD To Naira - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Alert!! FG Now Wants To Forcefully Convert Our Dorm Account USD To Naira (3373 Views)

Black Market Exchange Rate Today, 100 USD To NGN Naira For 17th March 2024 / Updates: Dollar (USD) To Naira At Black Market Rate Today: Aboki Price / Buying Payoneer And Dom Account USD (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Alert!! FG Now Wants To Forcefully Convert Our Dorm Account USD To Naira by 222Martins(m): 1:30pm On Sep 23, 2020
I saw this supposed leaked bank memo on Facebook this morning claiming that FG wants to forcefully convert the dollars in the Dormicilliary account of Nigerians to Naira at N398. That the plan was to make transfers out of our Dorm account imposssible, leaving us with only an option of selling to our bank at N398 and i laughed it off as a joke.

But few minutes ago, i tried to transfer some money from my GTBank Dorm account and for the first time in my life, GTBank is telling me to wait for a review. Review for a mere Gtb-to-Gtb transaction that takes less than 5 minutes before? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked It is time to leave this country oh!!!

A memo purportedly sent to the foreign exchange trading desk of a leading commercial Bank has spooked domiciliary account holders (depositors who keep money in dollars) in banks.

In the memo seen by Nairametrics, the bank mentioned that ” it has become necessary to review the utilization of inflows into customers DOM accounts”. Nairametrics cannot verify the authenticity of the memo. However, it has been widely shared on some social media platforms and was the subject of debate on Twitter.

In the purported letter, the bank recommended utilization actions for a different type of inflows such as inflows from non-oil and oil proceeds, offshore FX inflows, forex inflows from other Nigerian banks, and inflows from “Internal account to account FX transfers (sourced from offshore inflows)” and Internal account to account FX transfers (sourced from FX cash deposits) FX cash lodgment over the counter.

What seems to have spooked some Nigerians were the recommendations made in the memo. For example, under the category that addressed Offshore FX Inflows Local FX inflows (from other Nigerian banks), Internal account to account FX transfers (sourced from offshore inflows), it recommended that “Transfers to third parties are strictly prohibited”. This suggests inflows from abroad into your local account in Nigeria cannot be transferred to anyone else except you sell to the bank or transfer to yourself.

In another type of FX transfers, Internal account to account FX transfers (sourced from FX cash deposits) FX cash lodgment over the counter, it made the following recommendations.

The origin and source of the FX deposit should be determined before customer can be credited to ascertain legitimacy
FX cash lodgments should be lodged by only account holders and they can have unfettered access by telegraphic transfer up to a limit of $40,000.00 monthly for payment of medical bills, school fees, subscription to professional bodies, etc., subject to existing CBN guidelines
Transfer from one customer to another is prohibited
Transfer within related companies is allowed subject to a limit of $50,000.00 per month.
Own use for eligible transfers and in cases as deemed by regulators (savings towards investments, etc.). This should be subject to regulatory limits and backed by signed instructions.

It is unclear if these directives have the backing of the CBN as the origin or the source of the letter cannot be verified at the time of writing this article.

What this means: In recent days we have seen several internal leaks from banks recommending several measures aimed at curbing access to foreign exchange. For example, a text message purportedly shared by a bank and seen by Nairametrics for example stipulates that “customers can no longer effect FX transfers directly to third parties” explaining that customers can only “sell such funds to the banks”.

The CBN is yet to comment on any of these memos and as far as we know has not issued any circular publicly to this effect.
If this memo is true, then it suggests other banks are seriously considering capital controls that limit FX speculations in the hope that it will extinguish dollar demands.

Source: https://nairametrics.com/2020/09/23/leaked-bank-memo-spooks-holders-of-domiciliary-dollar-accounts/

2 Likes

Re: Alert!! FG Now Wants To Forcefully Convert Our Dorm Account USD To Naira by longetivity(m): 1:31pm On Sep 23, 2020
WOW

1 Like

Re: Alert!! FG Now Wants To Forcefully Convert Our Dorm Account USD To Naira by flyingpig: 1:38pm On Sep 23, 2020
grin grin all those hoarding dollars and weakening our naira, FG is coming for you. grin
Re: Alert!! FG Now Wants To Forcefully Convert Our Dorm Account USD To Naira by 222Martins(m): 1:44pm On Sep 23, 2020
flyingpig:
grin grin all those hoarding dollars and weakening our naira, FG is coming for you. grin
You think everybody is a politician that hoards dollars? Do you know how much inflow legitimate business people receive weekly?

4 Likes

Re: Alert!! FG Now Wants To Forcefully Convert Our Dorm Account USD To Naira by yanabasee(m): 1:47pm On Sep 23, 2020
As a citizen living in Nigeria, you don't have any business with dollars.... Hand them over to the authority.
Re: Alert!! FG Now Wants To Forcefully Convert Our Dorm Account USD To Naira by flyingpig: 1:48pm On Sep 23, 2020
222Martins:
You think everybody is a politician that hoards dollars? Do you know how much inflow legitimate business people receive weekly?
bro even people who want to do postgraduate studies abroad hoard dollars. You can't be saving up money only for it to keep depreciating in value every six months (naira).

8 Likes

Re: Alert!! FG Now Wants To Forcefully Convert Our Dorm Account USD To Naira by LikeAking: 3:13pm On Sep 23, 2020
The moment they try it,thats the end of Nigeria.

Its highly imposible sha,but someday a govt will do it.

2 Likes

Re: Alert!! FG Now Wants To Forcefully Convert Our Dorm Account USD To Naira by LikeAking: 3:16pm On Sep 23, 2020
flyingpig:
bro even people who want to do postgraduate studies abroad hoard dollars. You can't be saving up money only for it to keep depreciating in value every six months (naira).

You smart.

As a biz man you must protect your funds from jonzing.

Thats one reason I hate the mordern day world.

Do not keep all your money in the bank.

Dem dey craze.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Alert!! FG Now Wants To Forcefully Convert Our Dorm Account USD To Naira by 222Martins(m): 4:30pm On Sep 23, 2020
LikeAking:
The moment they try it,thats the end of Nigeria.

Its highly imposible sha,but someday a govt will do it.
I am telling you what i am currently experiencing today and you are saying it is impossible. Transfers i do seamlessly before in less than 5 minutes is now pending for over 4 hours. Gtbank to Gtbank transaction for that matter.

1 Like

Re: Alert!! FG Now Wants To Forcefully Convert Our Dorm Account USD To Naira by ecomalchemist(m): 5:11pm On Sep 23, 2020
222Martins:
I am telling you what i am currently experiencing today and you are saying it is impossible. Transfers i do seamlessly before in less than 5 minutes is now pending for over 4 hours. Gtbank to Gtbank transaction for that matter.

gtb to gtb dollar transactions ?
Re: Alert!! FG Now Wants To Forcefully Convert Our Dorm Account USD To Naira by ecomalchemist(m): 5:12pm On Sep 23, 2020
Naija don cast tey tey.

2000 was worse than 1990

2010 was worse than 2000

2020 is nothing to write home about.

The trend is scary, its time to do the needful.

Yo, if you ask me any stupid question like 'IF yOu LeAvE NiGerIa, WhO wILL fiX It' Ogun will visit you because there are a million and one people that can stay back and fix the country with thier tools.

1 Like

Re: Alert!! FG Now Wants To Forcefully Convert Our Dorm Account USD To Naira by bnanzip(m): 5:19pm On Sep 23, 2020
I tried transferring some dollars today and was asked to wait too. I waited, nothing happened so I had to sell to the bank at even 380 (so painful). But I was caught unawares that is why, By next month, they will not see my money.
If they prevent me from transferring, I will simply leave it there till my children grow to use it.
Useless government policies.

How would I sweat to earn money online only for the government to decide how I use it?

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Alert!! FG Now Wants To Forcefully Convert Our Dorm Account USD To Naira by bnanzip(m): 5:21pm On Sep 23, 2020
222Martins:
What bank wanted changing at 398 for you?
Mine was GTBank at 380.

And did they later send the money for you? Please let me know.
Re: Alert!! FG Now Wants To Forcefully Convert Our Dorm Account USD To Naira by 222Martins(m): 6:59pm On Sep 23, 2020
bnanzip:

What bank wanted changing at 398 for you?
Mine was GTBank at 380.

And did they later send the money for you? Please let me know.
The rate i quoted was based on the information i got on Facebook this morning. I don't know the official bank rate as i haven't transacted with them for quite a long time. My transaction is still pending, i am yet to get feedback from GTBank.

I will try withdrawing cash tomorrow and see the outcome. As someone that receives FX Inflow regularly, this news is quite a slap. I may consider moving to a favorable African country for the short term and cash out there, while working on leaving for good for the long term.

3 Likes

Re: Alert!! FG Now Wants To Forcefully Convert Our Dorm Account USD To Naira by 222Martins(m): 7:01pm On Sep 23, 2020
ecomalchemist:

gtb to gtb dollar transactions ?
Yes. For Dollars domiciled in a Domiciliary account.
Re: Alert!! FG Now Wants To Forcefully Convert Our Dorm Account USD To Naira by ecomalchemist(m): 7:02pm On Sep 23, 2020
222Martins:
Yes. For Dollars domiciled in a Domiciliary account.

damn, financial instituition niggas are the biggest rogues on planet earth !!

Sorry about your ordeal !!
Re: Alert!! FG Now Wants To Forcefully Convert Our Dorm Account USD To Naira by 222Martins(m): 7:06pm On Sep 23, 2020
ecomalchemist:

They want to force us to change at N380 bank rate. Instead of black market rate of N460 undecided undecided
Re: Alert!! FG Now Wants To Forcefully Convert Our Dorm Account USD To Naira by 222Martins(m): 7:30pm On Sep 23, 2020
ecomalchemist:

It's nothing to be sorry about. That's what happens when leaders you elected come up with draconian laws to clamp down on the people.

2 Likes

Re: Alert!! FG Now Wants To Forcefully Convert Our Dorm Account USD To Naira by LikeAking: 9:39pm On Sep 23, 2020
222Martins:

This is serious.
They better use their empty skulls right.

1 Like

Re: Alert!! FG Now Wants To Forcefully Convert Our Dorm Account USD To Naira by LikeAking: 9:43pm On Sep 23, 2020
222Martins:
The rate i quoted was based on the information i got on Facebook this morning. I don't know the official bank rate as i haven't transacted with them for quite a long time. My transaction is still pending, i am yet to get feedback from GTBank.

I will try withdrawing cash tomorrow and see the outcome. As someone that receives FX Inflow regularly, this news is quite a slap. I may consider moving to a favorable African country for the short term and cash out there, while working on leaving for good for the long term.

Those African countries will do the same in the future.
Dubai is a good destination for the start.
But it mustbe a dom acct.

Then the USA,etc.

Minimum of SA.

But it must be a dom acct.
Re: Alert!! FG Now Wants To Forcefully Convert Our Dorm Account USD To Naira by anonimi: 10:50pm On Sep 23, 2020
yanabasee:
As a citizen living in Nigeria, you don't have any business with dollars.... Hand them over to the authority.

So that Barawo Bubu can fly to London with it after spending billions of budget on Aso Rock clinic?
Did someone do something to you

anonimi:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3773720_c_jpegb64ec3ea372d1d8674886470b02116de

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4908965_fbimg1487051344892_jpeg317b6ef034fe258e0ed793a28281a452

[img]https://2.bp..com/-aDRqOJTyJJQ/Veg-TjcvUuI/AAAAAAAAR6c/qeYY_WQ4KxM/s640/2241711_13_pngc00b57557743e709b8b96933432e0dfa.png[/img]

1 Like

Re: Alert!! FG Now Wants To Forcefully Convert Our Dorm Account USD To Naira by anonimi: 10:53pm On Sep 23, 2020
222Martins:
It's nothing to be sorry about. That's what happens when leaders you elected come up with draconian laws to clamp down on the people.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3084794_DumbPeople_jpg287f2b4d3ead2f536f99f92cbca9c590

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Alert!! FG Now Wants To Forcefully Convert Our Dorm Account USD To Naira by Ishilove: 11:20pm On Sep 23, 2020
Re: Alert!! FG Now Wants To Forcefully Convert Our Dorm Account USD To Naira by bnanzip(m): 11:45pm On Sep 23, 2020
222Martins:

Thanks. I will see what they will do next
Re: Alert!! FG Now Wants To Forcefully Convert Our Dorm Account USD To Naira by Nobody: 12:03am On Sep 24, 2020
222Martins:
I know you can lead us smiley
Re: Alert!! FG Now Wants To Forcefully Convert Our Dorm Account USD To Naira by SavageResponse(m): 2:13am On Sep 24, 2020
222Martins:
I saw this supposed leaked bank memo on Facebook this morning claiming that FG wants to forcefully convert the dollars in the Dormicilliary account of Nigerians to Naira at N398. That the plan was to make transfers out of our Dorm account imposssible, leaving us with only an option of selling to our bank at N398 and i laughed it off as a joke.

But few minutes ago, i tried to transfer some money from my GTBank Dorm account and for the first time in my life, GTBank is telling me to wait for a review. Review for a mere Gtb-to-Gtb transaction that takes less than 5 minutes before? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked It is time to leave this country oh!!!

Source: https://nairametrics.com/2020/09/23/leaked-bank-memo-spooks-holders-of-domiciliary-dollar-accounts/

Them no fit try am!!! angry
Re: Alert!! FG Now Wants To Forcefully Convert Our Dorm Account USD To Naira by HIbreed(m): 6:18am On Sep 24, 2020
CBN better speak publicly on this. Am expecting funds soon don't know if i can still send it through my dorm account. I hate embarrasment.
Re: Alert!! FG Now Wants To Forcefully Convert Our Dorm Account USD To Naira by 222Martins(m): 7:08am On Sep 24, 2020
SavageResponse:

Them no fit try am!!! angry
grin grin grin grin Oga, did you read the comments on this thread? It's already happening and you are saying them no fit try am grin grin
Re: Alert!! FG Now Wants To Forcefully Convert Our Dorm Account USD To Naira by Kingwadada85(m): 7:46am On Sep 24, 2020
No be small thing oooo when poor masses can't buy bread chop again. I need to be deported to my real country

Check my signature, let's start from there
Re: Alert!! FG Now Wants To Forcefully Convert Our Dorm Account USD To Naira by SavageResponse(m): 11:45am On Sep 24, 2020
222Martins:
grin grin grin grin Oga, did you read the comments on this thread? It's already happening and you are saying them no fit try am grin grin

That is probably for does who bough US$ from CBN or those who receive export proceeds.

I bought my own dollars in the black market at black market rates.

I will bring down the roof of my bank if they forcefully convert my dollars to Naira!!!
Re: Alert!! FG Now Wants To Forcefully Convert Our Dorm Account USD To Naira by chinchonglee(m): 11:49am On Sep 24, 2020
flyingpig:
i am hoarding come and force it out of my hand.

the same FG that wants to make life miserable for us?
Re: Alert!! FG Now Wants To Forcefully Convert Our Dorm Account USD To Naira by chinchonglee(m): 11:50am On Sep 24, 2020
222Martins:

they ve reversed the policy bro.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Payoneer Is Testing Euro Payment Service / I Want To How To Make Liquid Soap And The Likes / How Would I Invest 500k To Give Me 10% Interest Daily

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.