Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,132 members, 7,829,037 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 05:56 PM

Court Wedding This Year And A Big Celebration Next Year - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Court Wedding This Year And A Big Celebration Next Year (1386 Views)

Spend More Time And Plan For Your Marriage And Not Just The Wedding,this Divorce / Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage / Court Wedding This Year And A Big Celebration Next Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Court Wedding This Year And A Big Celebration Next Year by susan2030: 1:22am On Mar 01, 2011
Hello My Nairaland peeps,

I need your advice/opinions/thoughts on this topic I'm about to discuss with you all.

My fiance and I are planning on having a court wedding this year and then go home (i.e Nigeria) to have the big party next year.

The idea of the big party is to have a traditional celebration ( I don't know if I can call it a traditional wedding because we would have already done the court marriage) Then we have the church blessing ceremony not a wedding because we would by this time have done the court wedding - and that is legal. So no need for another church wedding which is why we are calling it a church blessing of our marriage. And then the reception comes after.

So hear is my thing, any ideas on how we can go about the traditional wedding, church blessing. I am planning on wearing an ivory gown for the church blessing. Can I still have bridesmaids (Or will that be over doing things since we are already legally married). Can my dad still walk me down the isle.

Also is this a common practice in Nigeria or will it be considered tacky. My Nairaland people, I need your thoughts/opinions.

Thank you.
Re: Court Wedding This Year And A Big Celebration Next Year by susan2030: 4:40pm On Mar 01, 2011
any comments?
Re: Court Wedding This Year And A Big Celebration Next Year by kokoye(m): 4:43pm On Mar 01, 2011
You can do whatever you want honey. It is your day.

Dont get influenced by peoples' thoughts or influences on your day of joy.

It is about you and your partner - be as tacky as can be if you want to.

. . and make sure you have fun.

DONT LIVE THAT DAY FOR OTHER PEOPLE.

good luck and congratulations in advance.
Re: Court Wedding This Year And A Big Celebration Next Year by Nobody: 4:45pm On Mar 01, 2011
Live your life sweetheart you don't owe no one a thing on on how you live it as long as you are happy* fucck words of the world*

Goodluck, congratulations and enjoy your day
Re: Court Wedding This Year And A Big Celebration Next Year by Goldieluks: 4:51pm On Mar 01, 2011
It is your wedding and you have to do what ever pleases you,so far it is in line with the norms and values of the society .You can do a court wedding and can also go back Nija to do a traditional wedding.Your father can still walk you to the alter,during your church blessing(wedding) and you can still have bridesmaid.I don't think there's anything wrong about the idea.
Re: Court Wedding This Year And A Big Celebration Next Year by susan2030: 5:19pm On Mar 01, 2011
kokoye:

You can do whatever you want honey. It is your day.

Dont get influenced by peoples' thoughts or influences on your day of joy.

It is about you and your partner - be as tacky as can be if you want to.

. . and make sure you have fun.

DONT LIVE THAT DAY FOR OTHER PEOPLE.

good luck and congratulations in advance.

Thanks your reply, dear,
Re: Court Wedding This Year And A Big Celebration Next Year by susan2030: 5:21pm On Mar 01, 2011
Goldieluks:

It is your wedding and you have to do what ever pleases you,so far it is in line with the norms and values of the society .You can do a court wedding and can also go back Nija to do a traditional wedding.Your father can still walk you to the alter,during your church blessing(wedding) and you can still have bridesmaid.I don't think there's anything wrong about the idea.

Thanks for that, :-)
Re: Court Wedding This Year And A Big Celebration Next Year by kokoye(m): 5:22pm On Mar 01, 2011
You are welcome Susan. God bless.
Re: Court Wedding This Year And A Big Celebration Next Year by Goldieluks: 5:23pm On Mar 01, 2011
susan2030:

Thanks for that, :-)

smiley smiley
Re: Court Wedding This Year And A Big Celebration Next Year by susan2030: 5:34pm On Mar 01, 2011
REALITY101:

Live your life sweetheart you don't owe no one a thing on on how you live it as long as you are happy* fucck words of the world*

Goodluck, congratulations and enjoy your day

Thank you, Reality101. God bless.
Re: Court Wedding This Year And A Big Celebration Next Year by Ivynwa(f): 2:56am On Mar 05, 2011
Goldieluks:

It is your wedding and you have to do what ever pleases you,so far it is in line with the NORMS and values of the society .You can do a court wedding and can also go back Nija to do a traditional wedding.Your father can still walk you to the alter,during your church blessing(wedding) and you can still have bridesmaid.I don't think there's anything wrong about the idea.
I am very happy for you Susan Baby, you go girl!
Did I hear somebody say the norms and values of the society! I respect the positive values and moral boosting norms of the society but not the norms that sandwiches us between the hard place and "displeasing ourselves" because the norms says for us to make people clap for us. This same society that wants a young lady to be married to be counted as successful, wants a young couple to throw party (spend real good even if they are managing and struggling hard to pay their bills and feed) before it can be termed a proper wedding.Who wants to please that type of society? Not me, as for me I am doing my thing and don't care who is applauding, commending or nosing it all down.

Do your thing Susan, wedding reception for me might just be the groom and me and a handful of (10 guests if they will get to that number) dining and wining by the seaside that is after the church wedding in which hundreds and if possible thousands of choristers have sang down the heavens for me. Wait! and it doesn't matter to me if me and the groom have had two babies in the past after doing a court marriage or after having had our people perform the traditional marriage back home on our behalf.
Sweetheart go do your thing and live your Life, never live for some Nigerian norms that make some of us suffer and smile at the same time because they long for the accolades of the hypocrites among us.
I will suggest that you and your fiance should seek the blessings of God on your marriage same day as the court marriage(even if you still want to do the church wedding celebration next year) by praying with your pastor/priest/whoever you know that is truly serving God or even pray with each other and invite the Lord in your midst. Alleluiah, glory to God!(now don't let me get excited in the Lord cos when I do nobody can stop me----smile)  grin grin grin kiss grin
Re: Court Wedding This Year And A Big Celebration Next Year by susan2030: 9:52am On Mar 07, 2011
Ivynwa:

I am very happy for you Susan Baby, you go girl!
Did I hear somebody say the norms and values of the society! I respect the positive values and moral boosting norms of the society but not the norms that sandwiches us between the hard place and "displeasing ourselves" because the norms says for us to make people clap for us. This same society that wants a young lady to be married to be counted as successful, wants a young couple to throw party (spend real good even if they are managing and struggling hard to pay their bills and feed) before it can be termed a proper wedding.Who wants to please that type of society? Not me, as for me I am doing my thing and don't care who is applauding, commending or nosing it all down.

Do your thing Susan, wedding reception for me might just be the groom and me and a handful of (10 guests if they will get to that number) dining and wining by the seaside that is after the church wedding in which hundreds and if possible thousands of choristers have sang down the heavens for me. Wait! and it doesn't matter to me if me and the groom have had two babies in the past after doing a court marriage or after having had our people perform the traditional marriage back home on our behalf.
Sweetheart go do your thing and live your Life, never live for some Nigerian norms that make some of us suffer and smile at the same time because they long for the accolades of the hypocrites among us.
I will suggest that you and your fiance should seek the blessings of God on your marriage same day as the court marriage(even if you still want to do the church wedding celebration next year) by praying with your pastor/priest/whoever you know that is truly serving God or even pray with each other and invite the Lord in your midst. Alleluiah, glory to God!(now don't let me get excited in the Lord cos when I do nobody can stop me----smile)  grin grin grin kiss grin

God bless you, Ivynwa! thanks for your thoughts regarding having a pastor/priest pray with us that same day. I actually haven't thought about that. You are so on point about doing what is best for me and my fiance. Thank you!
Re: Court Wedding This Year And A Big Celebration Next Year by Ivynwa(f): 11:55pm On Mar 07, 2011
susan2030:

God bless you, Ivynwa! thanks for your thoughts regarding having a pastor/priest pray with us that same day. I actually haven't thought about that. You are so on point about doing what is best for me and my fiance. Thank you!
You go girl!
Do have a great day on your day. Walk it! Walk it!
Re: Court Wedding This Year And A Big Celebration Next Year by arreyterc(f): 12:02am On Mar 08, 2011
elephant tusk for sale at good price.if you buy from us you are going to enjoy our good services.waiting to read from you.

Re: Court Wedding This Year And A Big Celebration Next Year by Ivynwa(f): 4:25am On Mar 08, 2011
Arrey Sweetie,
You have such a great head for business, she may be needing the tusk next year for the trad wedding.
Susan do patronize Arrey our friend when that time comes okay Baby.

(1) (Reply)

Please I Need Help Right Now / Timbaland's Wife Files For Divorce And Has A Long List Of Demands / Exclusive : How Yoruba Lifestyle Almost Scattered A Home In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.