Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,801 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:24 AM

Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi (29716 Views)

Which State In Nigeria Is Faster To Get Your Nigerian Passport / LONDON DETENTION: Peter Obi Impersonator Issued Passport By Nigerian Govt / Nigeria At 60: Not The Celebration But The Work Ahead, By Dotun Adekanmbi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi by soleexx(m): 10:23pm On Sep 24, 2020
I don't think it's a good idea to strip the Nigeria passport ...even tho no one is proud about what's going on over there...still, home will always be home...

My kids will definitely get a Nigerian Passport whether they wanna make use of it or not.
Re: Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi by Nobody: 10:23pm On Sep 24, 2020
Favemmzar200:
Seriously and all the rules sadly doesnt include impersonation
There's no such thing as impersonation my friend. You have eyes to see the moniker and two monikers can't be alike so what's the impersonation there.
Re: Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi by Favemmzar200(m): 10:23pm On Sep 24, 2020
Righteosness89:

I pity that woman who brought you to this life
I'm sure you're the biggest mistake she ever made
Yeah says the son of an slowpoke with a prostitute for a mother...reason why he speaks like a destitute kid
Re: Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi by soleexx(m): 10:24pm On Sep 24, 2020
I don't think it's a good idea to strip the Nigeria passport ...even tho no one is proud about what's going on over there...still, home will always be home...

My kids will definitely get a Nigerian Passport whether they wanna make use of it or not
Re: Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi by Nobody: 10:25pm On Sep 24, 2020
I'll use mine for toilet paper abeg, if it is too small or too hard on the skin then na to burn am for burning sakes.
Re: Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi by smile11s(m): 10:29pm On Sep 24, 2020
Righteosness89:

I'm jobless
Got a kid to feed

Chai. May Amadioha rescue you IJN
Re: Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi by Ykc2(m): 10:30pm On Sep 24, 2020
Nigeria will be a great by the time fulani people finished occupying every forest in Nigeria?if they give this man 2020 lexus and tell him to drive from Abuja to kaduna will he take that risk?let me not even mention Kogi benue road ,look there is danger in nigeria at moment travelling to anywhere in nigeria now is like someone going to saudi arabia with cocaine is either the person succeed or ther person pays with his or her life that's is tha situation of Nigeria ,high ways kidnapping caused by buhari and his brothers

1 Like

Re: Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi by PureGoldh(m): 10:31pm On Sep 24, 2020
enemyofprogress:
dont mind the man

Na him get him mouth sha....dem don give him his own share
Re: Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi by smile11s(m): 10:31pm On Sep 24, 2020
Righteosness89:

Amen

And ogun go kill you and your family

Back to sender
Re: Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi by Elvictor: 10:35pm On Sep 24, 2020
NIGERIA is a fraud, the earlier we end this British enslavement the better for everyone

1 Like

Re: Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi by macjireh: 10:35pm On Sep 24, 2020
aminusodiq:
sad

ijewejones:

smile11s:

Why?

check his spelling of righteousness,,there's no 'U' in his spelling,,he's an impostor

1 Like

Re: Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi by GMBuhari: 10:36pm On Sep 24, 2020
emae009:
When each individual state is allow to govern, manage, and control it's individual resources to the best of her ability while the Central Government protects the national territory and negotiate international relations then we'll move forward. Other than that every successive government policy will always be treated on the table of ethnicity and religious affiliation

Hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe

ahahahahahahahahahahahaha

sorry but brain is paining you

FG controls resources and there's still massive looting, what will happen when states control the inflow and outflow of money ? Extraordinary looting galore , yes you are right we treat everything with ethnicity and religious affiliations but then every state with their own set of looters is constant K

i think you mean to say we should fight this injustice to Nigerians in general, lynch looters because justice system has failed us , destroy their properties , attack those who are protecting them , If / when they realize we the masses are the real government, their brains will reset

but trust me , state controlling resources isn't the solution for now , Tinubu's cousins do not control NDDC , it's Niger Deltans

Tinubu is not related to Ibori or Alamesigya ( forgive the spelling) and they both looted with impunity

1 Like

Re: Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi by Dreyton36: 10:38pm On Sep 24, 2020
New gotv with remote control and receipt for sale

Price 5k
Re: Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi by ijewejones: 10:38pm On Sep 24, 2020
macjireh:

check his spelling of righteousness,,there's no 'U' in his spelling,,he's an impostor

I noticed long before now..just that I decided to make him field his foolishness grin grin
Re: Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi by omoharry(f): 10:38pm On Sep 24, 2020
Yankee101:
Nigeria is going to be one of the top 10 economies in the world by 2050....if.....we can get a leader that has vision and can recruit the best innovators into his cabinet
How can we get a visionary leaders when the followers do not know that they deserve better and are always worshipping thirst theives for giving them crumps...And still blinded by religion & tribalism .

1 Like

Re: Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi by Elvictor: 10:39pm On Sep 24, 2020
juman:
Buhari is not a good president. So far he has failed the masses.

we never had a good president in this country
Re: Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi by amaheart(m): 10:41pm On Sep 24, 2020
And you're writing this trash from USA.
Where are your children?
Where do your family reside?
Re: Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi by booz(m): 10:46pm On Sep 24, 2020
smile11s:

Why?
Check the spelling
Re: Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi by Angelfrost(m): 10:47pm On Sep 24, 2020
mujahid777:
Not surprised. Some people from the land of the fallen sun have made it their life mission to be the leaders of criminality everywhere they go. Our passport value will keep going down.

Shhh... They are not the ones who made an entire nation of over 200 million people one of the top terrorist nations of the world!!!...

They didn't form, fund, and mastermind Boko Haram, Fulani herdsmen, execution for blasphemy, and genocides in Southern Kaduna (key pointers to global terrorism index)!!!

Now, go to bed!!!

3 Likes

Re: Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi by nextstep(m): 10:48pm On Sep 24, 2020
The Sardauna of Sokoto, Alhaji Sir Ahmadu Bello, was not about unity. In fact, he especially refused to recognize the SE as partners:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_odAy4rVz8

I'll paraphrase: "Igbo want to dominate", and "If you send an igbo man to a labor camp, he will try to emerge as headman"
Ironically, it is the Hausa-Fulani that have demonstrated the need (borne out of fear?) to dominate - but not by earning it with (e.g.) education, self-improvement, or desired for service. For the second comment, is it wrong to try and improve yourself and your station in life? Third, his comments reek of the kind of sentiments you'd hear about Jews in Europe leading up to WWII (and in fact, you'd still hear in bits and snippets from racists today).

He expanded the "Northerner first" policy. If you can't find a Northerner, then an expatriate; if you can't find one, hold your nose and hire a Southerner. I partly understand his reasoning - how many Northerners were in employment in the South? But rather than do the things that encourage a qualified North, we have these kind of segregationist policies.

Sir Tafawa Belawa was a gentler, kinder element and it's a pity, crime, and dishonor what was done to him. May he continue to rest in blessed peace.

Nevertheless, these are all nice words profered by my learned journalist... the people who need to be told this are Nigeria's elite. They are disloyal to this country and it's people. They are the ones subservient to outsiders, depending on the White man's praise for sustenance. From the time they started coveting British trinkets in exchange for their brothers' lives, wearing Italian shoes, and driving American cars, they have not done anything in their lifetime that demonstrates they have love for themselves or their race.

1 Like

Re: Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi by Codes151(m): 10:49pm On Sep 24, 2020
Keep writing thrash
Re: Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi by Solatium(m): 11:04pm On Sep 24, 2020
Realboygenius:
“My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right.”- Carl Schurz

For folks tired of Nigeria, the 2020 Henley Passport Index, which is regarded as “the most rigorous and sophisticated measure of global access,” is another good reason to believe that Nigeria ‘is not worth it.’ According to the report, our passport, which has been ranked as the 97th most powerful in the world, is only good to visit just 46 countries visa-free or obtain visa on arrival or be issued eVisa by destination countries like Afghanistan, Suriname, Antigua and Barbuda, Micronesia, St Kitts and Nevis or even Tuvalu. Never heard of some of these countries? Well, I am not kidding.

By contrast, nationals of Japan, Singapore and South Korea, which placed first, second and third on the index can respectively access 191, 190 and 189 countries visa-free. In Africa, citizens of Seychelles at 29th position can easily enter 151 countries while South Africans can effortlessly access 101 countries by virtue of their country’s 56th placement on the index. If it is any consolation, it needs to be said that although Nigeria’s rating went down by 19 spots between 2010 and 2020, the most by any ranked country, we still fared better than Sudan (102), Somalia (105), Syria (107), Iraq (108) and Afghanistan, which came last at 109th position. Citizens of the latter two countries can only enter 28 and 26 countries respectively without a visa.

But things have not always been this way. Years back, we had reasons to be proud of our nation, even as we passed through difficult times. The bitterness of the Civil War did not keep us down, though the scars are still very much noticeable. Citizens embraced various forms of ‘austerity measures’ particularly in the 1980s and early 1990s when the profligacy of successive military and civilian governments took a heavy toll on the economic health of Nigeria. Our resilience found voice in our belief that ‘e go better’ and ‘Nigeria go survive.’ That hope was rekindled each time our sportsmen and women made Nigeria proud in global and continental sports festivals. We recognised the unifying factor of sports, which helped us to set aside our individual and collective differences. In the field of sports, we never pushed for ethnic quota equilibrium; we never queried religious affiliations and we never bothered about age and allied matters. We simply settled for excellence. And we got results, as exemplified by our winning the 1985 FIFA-Coca-Cola Under-17 World Cup; the 1996 summer Olympics football tournament as well as gold medal in the women’s long jump won by Chioma Ajunwa and, by default, the gold medal in 4 x 400m relay in the 2000 summer Olympics.

Our decline was also as swift as our rise after we began to politicise all aspects of national life. Our value system changed dramatically after citizens saw that the leadership had loosened its belt whilst urging the masses to tighten theirs. Some of our ‘small girls’ began to have ‘big gods’ and several ‘benefit Papa’ whilst the ‘smart boys’ savaged the internet, with ‘Invictus Obi’ and ‘Hushpuppi’ as poster boys. The rest invested their time in watching ‘Big Brother Naija,’ content with letting the old brigade alter the masterplan of their destiny. Where we hitherto pleaded with ‘Andrew’ not to ‘check out’, citizens quickly embraced brain drain. Doctors and other professionals left our shores in droves. Ministers lied to us that we had enough doctors to cope with medical emergencies and it took the outset of the Coronavirus pandemic to burst the bubble. But for COVID-19, only God knows how many more people would have left Nigeria. Or how much of scarce foreign exchange would have been lost to medical tourism. At the heart of these challenges is the absence of purposeful leadership.

Contrary to what many Nigerians tend to believe, our country is not difficult to govern. All that is needed is a partnership of visionary leadership and a followership that is not awed by ephemeral power. Both need to truly ‘pledge to Nigeria,’ not submit to the whims of individuals or political parties. Both need to recognise that public service is a social contract that makes a clear distinction between ‘national’ and ‘self’ interest. Much of the responsibility to enforce the contract, however, reside in us, the people, rather than in the leadership. Time and again, the leadership cartel in Nigeria have remorselessly demonstrated strong belief in the doctrine of taking from the poor to comfort the rich. By the same token, the masses who are the real repository of power need to be guided to vigorously exercise their franchise to demand good governance and accountability. ‘Ask and ye shall be given,’ the good book says.

The viewpoints of the leadership and the followership are, however, not necessarily antithetical as the late Premier of the Northern Region and Sardauna of Sokoto, Alhaji Tafawa Balewa, demonstrated when he echoed similar sentiments, saying: “I’m convinced and I want you to be convinced that the future of this vast country must depend in the main on the efforts of ourselves to help ourselves. This we cannot do if we do not work together in unity.”

In a similar vein, the late elder statesman, Chief Obafemi Awolowo, outlined a simple treatise on the route to purposeful leadership. Said he: “It is only when the minds of men have been properly and rigorously cultivated and garnished that they can be safely entrusted with public affairs with a certainty and assuredness that they will make the best of their unique opportunity and assignment.” The import is that Nigeria does not suffer a dearth of good leaders. But we need to be rid of the rancid air of the political space, which keeps good people away from public service to avoid asphyxiation.

The point in all of this is that if, as individuals, we demonstrate love for Nigeria by being a lot more alive to our civic responsibility, much of what ails Nigeria would be correctly diagnosed and treated. Just the other day, I travelled to Dubai with an Indian professional colleague to attend an all-agencies public relations conference for a blue-chip multinational company. While on the queue to clear immigration and customs, we both noticed that Nigerian travellers received extra- attention from airport officials. My friend whispered to me: “see, we’re brothers. Your passport and my passport, nobody likes them.” How true! Today, with India at number 85 and Nigeria at 97, we remain ‘brothers.’ This makes me sad. And angry. Tell me, who wouldn’t be?

But rather than put my country down, I choose to see the good in Nigeria. Just like a man deeply in love, I will rather find that one good reason to stay in a relationship even when there are hundreds of persuasive reasons to leave. I choose to side with the people who counsel others “not to forget that the first duty of every global citizen is to set right what is wrong in our country.” I love Nigeria. But I will no longer settle for leadership that promotes blind patriotism; I will not allow anyone to “piss down my back and tell me it's raining.” If, as a leader, you must earn my respect, then you must heed the paraphrased immortal words of Chief Awolowo: ‘you must be prepared to grasp the nettle, set a worthy example in probity, unselfishness and self-sacrifice and the people will follow all too readily in your footsteps.’ Makes sense.

Dotun Adekanmbi is a Lagos-based media relations practitioner.

You will not value your Nigeria passport until when you go abroad one day and lost your passport leaving you stranded.
Na that day u go value the green booklet.

2 Likes

Re: Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi by juman(m): 11:08pm On Sep 24, 2020
Elvictor:

we never had a good president in this country

Gbam.

You are right.

One nigeria has failed us.
Re: Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi by alfajohn: 11:10pm On Sep 24, 2020
The visa to enter any country in the world is lots of money, especially when it is not tainted with illegal means. Make money in Nigeria you can buy the passport of any country including USA all of them have fast track residency for investors depending of the threshold of each country. Also who says Nigeria nay it constituent part if it does break will not Be Eldorado in the near future. Though now it seems in the distant future.
Re: Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi by ednut1(m): 11:12pm On Sep 24, 2020
When Nigeria better i go come back. For me and my generation we wish Nigeria well in the main time lol
Re: Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi by Ulysses71: 11:17pm On Sep 24, 2020
VERY USELESS PIECE OF PAPER.
ONE OF THE THINGS ON MY "TO DO LIST" INCLUDES GETTING MYSELF A FOREIGN PASSPORT WHICH ENTAILS BECOMING A FOREIGN CITIZEN PREFEABLY FROM THE EU, IN THE PROCESS MAKING SURE MY KIDS DO NOT SUFFER SETBSCKS ENSURED BY JUST BEING A NIGERIAN NATIONAL.

1 Like

Re: Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi by okrote4real: 11:18pm On Sep 24, 2020
Nigeria is the best country. In have travelled to some countries and given maximum respect because I didn't go through a wrong channel. Follow due process and nobody will look down on you. If you think Nigeria passport is bad or a disadvantage, it's because you have already felt that way. The Bible says as a man thinks , so is he. For me Nigeria is the only country I have and I will continue to respect it comes whatever. We may be having challenges now, but what you don't know is that those countries you are running to are worse off compared to us. If not for our political class mismanagement, why should a Nigerian even come up with such piece?

Nobody can kill my Nigerianness. We die here.
Re: Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi by mujahid777(m): 11:30pm On Sep 24, 2020
Angelfrost:
[s]

Shhh... They are not the ones who made an entire nation of over 200 million people one of the top terrorist nations of the world!!!...

They didn't form, fund, and mastermind Boko Haram, Fulani herdsmen, execution for blasphemy, and genocides in Southern Kaduna (key pointers to global terrorism index)!!!

Now, go to bed!!![/s]
Introduce yourself as a Nigerian abroad,a terrorist is amongst the last negative things that will be on their minds.
The vices that comes first are the ones your blodas keep spearheading. Don't act as if you don't know.
Now shut up and go to bed!!! angry

2 Likes

Re: Before You Shred Your Nigerian Passport By Dotun Adekanmbi by Joliemoi247: 11:32pm On Sep 24, 2020
I have a Nigerian passport but I have never use it to travel abroad. Please any good Samaritan that can help me before it will expire.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Abdulsalam Abubakar Flown Abroad Over Ill-health / Saraki: The Man Who Dug His Own Grave / Mutiu Okuonola Disrupts INEC Collation Centre In Lagos - SR

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.