Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,198 members, 7,867,463 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 04:39 PM

Lagos Ohanaeze Lists Conditions For Fashola’s Endorsement - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Ohanaeze Lists Conditions For Fashola’s Endorsement (12786 Views)

Shi’ites: El-zakzaky’s Followers List 5 Conditions For Peace / ACN Is Searching For Fashola’s Successor / Searching For Fashola's Achievements (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Ohanaeze Lists Conditions For Fashola’s Endorsement by Nobody: 12:51am On Mar 03, 2011
EzeUche_:

that can happen to Benin City.

He already know there are Igbos are in Benin City in quite large numbers who consider themselves Benin Boys like the rest of them.

but he has to understand that we Igbos would never claim Benin City, which was built by the hands of the Bini people.(In Your Life)

wow you got a bag full of pipe dreams, Joseph.
Re: Lagos Ohanaeze Lists Conditions For Fashola’s Endorsement by EzeUche2(m): 12:54am On Mar 03, 2011
babaearly:

wow you got a bag full of pipe dreams, Joseph.

That is very [b]disingenuous [/b]of you to not to give the full quote.

It changes the whole meaning of the statement.
Re: Lagos Ohanaeze Lists Conditions For Fashola’s Endorsement by PhysicsMHD(m): 1:01am On Mar 03, 2011
EzeUche_:

PhysicsMHD is only saying that because he fears that can happen to Benin City. He already know there are Igbos are in Benin City in quite large numbers who consider themselves Benin Boys like the rest of them.

That is why I can understand PhysicsMHD point of view, but he has to understand that we Igbos would never claim Benin City, which was built by the hands of the Bini people.

Lagos on the other hand was built by different groups of people and each group who has added to the success of Lagos should be able to benefit from it politically.

Actually, in case you haven't been following Nairaland, I recently had to argue against two Yorubas who were convinced that Yorubas made up something like 10% of Edo state!

Why did they think this? Because even with all the historical links and cultural similarities between Edos and Yorubas, they used those Edos who lean even more to the Yoruba side culturally than is usual for Edo state to start claiming ownership of 10% of Edo state. That's a starting point for future claiming.

As for Benin, my problem is with the erosion of distinct, unique identities being subsumed into one mix with the influx of foreign populations. I don't like the Hausanization of Nigerian clothing - I would have preferred if my own people wore variants of the kinds of clothing seen in Benin art or which we had been weaving since before the 13th century - but not because I don't like the Hausas/Fulanis or their clothing. I actually like several aspects of their culture and like their clothing a lot, but I don't want to give up what my own people had that was unique.

As for claiming Benin city, if I recall, weren't you the one on here bragging about how Igbos were supposedly 50% of Sapele at one point? I could be wrong about it being you that said so, but somebody definitely was bragging about that. What's the difference, really?

Anyway, you didn't dispute my overall point.
Re: Lagos Ohanaeze Lists Conditions For Fashola’s Endorsement by EzeUche2(m): 1:09am On Mar 03, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

Actually, in case you haven't been following Nairaland, I recently had to argue against two Yorubas who were convinced that Yorubas made up something like 10% of Edo state!

Why did they think this? Because even with all the historical links and cultural similarities between Edos and Yorubas, they used those Edos who lean even more to the Yoruba side culturally than is usual for Edo state to start claiming ownership of 10% of Edo state. That's a starting point for future claiming.

As for Benin, my problem is with the erosion of distinct, unique identities being subsumed into one mix with the influx of foreign populations. I don't like the Hausanization of Nigerian clothing - I would have preferred if my own people wore variants of the kinds of clothing seen in Benin art or which we had been weaving since before the 13th century - but not because I don't like the Hausas/Fulanis or their clothing. I actually like several aspects of their culture and like their clothing a lot, but I don't want to give up what my own people had that was unique.

As for claiming Benin city, if I recall, weren't you the one on here bragging about how Igbos were supposedly 50% of Sapele at one point? I could be wrong about it being you that said so, but somebody definitely was bragging about that. What's the difference, really?

Anyway, you didn't dispute my overall point.

And as you know, Igbos are native to Edo state as well. If you say they aren't, I shall call you a liar.

Yet, we Igbos do not claim all of Edo state. We know our boundaries clearly. Simply mentioning that there are a lot of Igbos in Benin City, but we wouldn't dare claim ownership. We are not even claiming ownership of Lagos. We just want political representation. I would ask the same for Benin City if there were a lot of Igbos living in that town as well.

No taxation without representation as the Americans would say.

Well I am sorry that you have to worry about your culture eroding due to the dominant cultures of other groups. That is why population matters in that world, but your people can still remain distinct if you all cherish your heritage and history.

And I never even mentioned Sapele. Frankly, I would not make such a statement, because I do not know much about Sapele to be honest. I don't even know how many Igbos are in that city. Therefore, I think you have me confused with somebody.
Re: Lagos Ohanaeze Lists Conditions For Fashola’s Endorsement by bkbabe97y(m): 1:16am On Mar 03, 2011
EzeUche_:

We are not even claiming ownership of Lagos.

Oh, really?!?!

What then do u call going into another man's crib, telling him you have 10,000 of your boys waiting outside his house ready to take over unless he lets you have acess to 1/3 of the house?!

You monkeys just never learn!
Re: Lagos Ohanaeze Lists Conditions For Fashola’s Endorsement by Obiagu1(m): 1:19am On Mar 03, 2011
EzeUche_:

Thank you.
Re: Lagos Ohanaeze Lists Conditions For Fashola’s Endorsement by PhysicsMHD(m): 1:22am On Mar 03, 2011
EzeUche_:

And as you know, Igbos are native to Edo state as well. If you say they aren't, I shall call you a liar.

Yet, we Igbos do not claim all of Edo state. We know our boundaries clearly. Simply mentioning that there are a lot of Igbos in Benin City, but we wouldn't dare claim ownership. We are not even claiming ownership of Lagos. We just want political representation. I would ask the same for Benin City if there were a lot of Igbos living in that town as well.

Well I am sorry that you have to worry about your culture eroding due to the dominant cultures of other groups. That is why population matters in that world, but your people can still remain distinct if you all cherish your heritage and history.

And I never even mentioned Sapele. Frankly, I would not make such a statement, because I do not know much about Sapele to be honest. I don't even know how many Igbos are in that city. Therefore, I think you have me confused with somebody.

Did I say Igbos were not native to Edo state? As for claiming "all of Edo state," Igbos in Edo state cannot claim more than a few villages that could easily be transferred to Delta state once the Igbos there stop seeing themselves as Edo.

There's a difference between being native to Edo state and being from Benin city, by the way.

As for claiming political representation in Benin city, that's not something I even have to address because Chike Ekwuyasi, who was from Ogwashi-Uku, was elected in 1951 on the Otu-Edo platform to represent Benin. So you obviously don't have a good grasp of Binis' liberalism. The problem is when people start using that carefree, open-minded liberalism to advance an ethnic agenda. There's simply no reason why Igbos coming all the way from Imo or Enugu should have more of a political voice in Benin city than Owan or Etsako or some other non-Benin group just because Igbos, with a whole population of 25+ million east of the Niger to draw on, are able to populate the city faster and to a greater extent than those other non-Bini groups. If Benin city is to become a truly cosmopolitan city instead of the Bini city that it has been for over a thousand years, then you absolutely cannot claim that Igbos should get ethnically based political representation based on their numbers. That's the basic argument you still haven't addressed. You can't claim cosmopolitanism with one hand, but then reach for benefits for specific ethnic groups with the other hand.

My mistake about the Sapele thing. That was another poster then.
Re: Lagos Ohanaeze Lists Conditions For Fashola’s Endorsement by EzeUche2(m): 1:27am On Mar 03, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

Did I say Igbos were not native to Edo state? As for claiming "all of Edo state," Igbos in Edo state cannot claim more than a few villages that could easily be transferred to Delta state once the Igbos there stop seeing themselves as Edo.

There's a difference between being native to Edo state and being from Benin city, by the way.

As for claiming political representation in Benin city, that's not something I even have to address because Chike Ekwuyasi, who was from Ogwashi-Uku, was elected in 1951 on the Otu-Edo platform to represent Benin. So you obviously don't have a good grasp of Binis' liberalism. The problem is when people start using that carefree, open-minded liberalism to advance an ethnic agenda. There's simply no reason why Igbos coming all the way from Imo or Enugu should have more of a political voice in Benin city than Owan or Etsako or some other non-Benin group just because Igbos, with a whole population of 25+ million east of the Niger to draw on, are able to populate the city faster and to a greater extent than those other non-Bini groups. If Benin city is to become a truly cosmopolitan city instead of the Bini city that it has been for over a thousand years, then you absolutely cannot claim that Igbos should get ethnically based political representation based on their numbers.

You are right, I am not familiar with Binis' liberalism. My main focus is East of the River Niger. However, I am interested in the well-being of my people wherever they reside.

Currently, I don't even see Benin City as a destination or even worth fighting over. No offense. I think all groups should have a major city to call their own or should I say a capital city. Igbos have Enugu, Bini have Benin City, Hausa have Kano and Yorubas should have Ibadan.

Lagos and Abuja are fair game.

And yes I feel a people should ethnic representation based on their numbers. It is simple logic that if your people are found in an area in large numbers, they should have some sort of representation. We are not taking control of a city. We just want representation!
Re: Lagos Ohanaeze Lists Conditions For Fashola’s Endorsement by AljUche: 1:28am On Mar 03, 2011
well supported

IYA!!!!!!! for life igbo yoruba alliance

IYA IYA IYA IYA IYA IYA IYA IYA

IYA IYA IYA IYA IYA IYA, angry angry angry angry

WE NO GO GREEooo WE NO GO GREE IYA NA HIM WE WANT angry angry angry

we no go gree ooo we no go gree lagos na him we want angry

yorubas you are warned northerners are ready to help igbos for lagos angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Lagos Ohanaeze Lists Conditions For Fashola’s Endorsement by EzeUche2(m): 1:30am On Mar 03, 2011
^^^

You speak for no Northerner. Especially the ones in Lagos.

They do not easily forget to what happened to them in 2002.

There is always a fear of Igbo-Hausa alliance in Lagos. The Hausa do not have any permanent friends, they have permanent interest. And this is the type of belief that I subscribe to.
Re: Lagos Ohanaeze Lists Conditions For Fashola’s Endorsement by AljUche: 1:39am On Mar 03, 2011
EzeUche_:

^^^

You speak for no Northerner. Especially the ones in Lagos.

They do not easily forget to what happened to them in 2002.

There is always a fear of Igbo-Hausa alliance in Lagos. The Hausa do not have any permanent friends, they have permanent interest. And this is the type of belief that I subscribe to.

we northerners do not carry hate or resembment in ourselves, infact i was in lagos when the OPC started there madness and i was not killed neither was i looted or discrimnated in any form. so what are you talking about

i have said it if you igbos need our help for lagos, you better cut us a deal because right now lagos governor are usual muslims which means they are one of us. so cut us a better deal for me to call my fulani friends to remove fashola and put chief uche there undecided
Re: Lagos Ohanaeze Lists Conditions For Fashola’s Endorsement by PhysicsMHD(m): 1:43am On Mar 03, 2011
EzeUche_:

You are right, I am not familiar with Binis' liberalism. My main focus is East of the River Niger. However, I am interested in the well-being of my people wherever they reside.

Currently, I don't even see Benin City as a destination or even worth fighting over. No offense. I think all groups should have a major city to call their own or should I say a capital city. Igbos have Enugu, Bini have Benin City, Hausa have Kano and Yorubas should have Ibadan.

And yes I feel a people should ethnic representation based on their numbers. It is simple logic that if your people are found in an area in large numbers, they should have some sort of representation. We are not taking control of a city. We just want representation!

How is Lagos fair game?

That's the claim I don't get. This place does have a history. It's not Abuja. And why do you get to determine what city each group should have? Who says the Yorubas want or wanted Ibadan as their "capital"? Do you not even know about the historical tensions between the Oyo/Ibadan Yorubas and the other Yorubas?

Concerning what's worth "fighting over." Benin is not something that could be "fought over" now or in the future, so how you, as an outsider, consider it, is not even relevant. Nobody who knows anything about the city and the way it's set up would ever suggest that the Bini would have to "fight" over control of the city from outsiders. And Lagos, Calabar, Kano, etc. none of these cities could be "fought over". That should be obvious, but you're being deliberately disingenuous here. Anyways, you're the one that brought up Benin, not me.

As for ethnic representation based on their numbers, it's the exact opposite of the "One Nigeria" cosmopolitanism you were claiming people were embracing. The day we all start thinking like that, we'll ensure that in the future we'll always sideline a competent Ogoni, Berom, or Idoma person running for government to make way for incompetent Hausas, Yorubas, and Igbos based on Hausas, Yorubas, and Igbos being found in Nigeria in larger numbers. Ethnic representation based on numbers is simply not reconcilable with the cosmopolitan spirit that makes people reside in large numbers in places where they aren't originally from, and with that spirit that lets them be treated fairly and kindly by the indigenous groups there. If you want to compete with other groups for areas that they thought were theirs, just come out and say so. Otherwise the degree of political influence the indigenous group lets the new group have is strictly up to members of that group, not dependent on how many people the new group can get into the place.
Re: Lagos Ohanaeze Lists Conditions For Fashola’s Endorsement by EkoIle1: 1:44am On Mar 03, 2011
EzeUche_:

We are not taking control of a city.

How do you reconcile both statements and contradictions?

No offense, but you are sounding more and more ridiculously re.tarded.  

Talking about representation, ibo people have representation at the state level and the Governor promised to do more.

They are also getting representation because your traders are trading in peace, they are safe and not threatened or getting kidnapped like they experience back east. Obviously, somebody is looking out for them and that's representation.

They are basically getting the same representation  Yoruba Lagosians are getting, your problem as usual is  tribalism because you want the representation to be ibo and not Yoruba, but please, don't say you have no representation because you do.

Your problem is pure tribalism, the same tribalism you people go all over the country peddling and getting your a/s/s kicked for all the time.
Re: Lagos Ohanaeze Lists Conditions For Fashola’s Endorsement by EzeUche2(m): 3:10am On Mar 03, 2011
^^^
It makes perfect sense

Lagos and Abuja are fair game for political representation.

But that doesn't mean we are taking control.

Is that hard for you to understand? Or should I S P E L L it out slowly for you.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste.
Re: Lagos Ohanaeze Lists Conditions For Fashola’s Endorsement by jason123: 3:28am On Mar 03, 2011
@ Ezeuche and co

You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye. Matthew 7:5

Na the bible talk am ooo! wink
Re: Lagos Ohanaeze Lists Conditions For Fashola’s Endorsement by EkoIle1: 3:47am On Mar 03, 2011
EzeUche_:

^^^
It makes perfect sense

Lagos and Abuja are fair game for political representation.

But that doesn't mean we are taking control.

Is that hard for you to understand? Or should I S P E L L it out slowly for you.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

You are  fooling yourself, not me. You can not erase you mindless contradictions with what still sounds silly and makes no damn sense.

Now, what's fair game got to do with representation especially when the same representation is there and has been protecting and looking out for your people since day one. You can not even tell me you are getting the same level of representation in your towns and villages. Your people are thriving in Lagos  because the people representing your people right now are putting in the work to make it happen and you wont be in Lagos if your own people back east are putting in the same level of hard work and commitment.

Again, your problem is  cheap tribalism, not representation. What's more important to your people in Lagos? Safety and prosperity for your people or tribalism?

Looking at your people, towns and villages back east, trust me, they are not great managers and representatives.

The fact is, you people are known for peddling greed, tribalism, and self destruction. Your greed and self destructive behavior set us on a dangerous track from 1966 till today, it sent us to the battle field,  the same greed is responsible for all the killings and kidnappings for money. It's like everywhere you go, there's got to be commotion, confusion, problems, sorrow and sadness.

It's just too hard for you people to live in peace and harmony with others, you just have to insert your destructive behavior and odious insecurities.

And you wonder why Hausa people don't tolerate your nonsense. Obviously, they've figured you out.

lol @ listing conditions. Y'all must be on crack.
Re: Lagos Ohanaeze Lists Conditions For Fashola’s Endorsement by seanet02: 4:04am On Mar 03, 2011
rhymz:

What exactly is wrong with protecting one's interest when you have the number and funds to do so?
Seriously, I can understand when a stray bigoted illiterate Yoruba person like Bluetooth open his scum-filled mouth to vomit the crap that he is made of but for even supposedly educated Yoruba folks like eku_bear that I believe has been exposed to a more developed and better democratic system to lose all sense of civility and political logic to argue foolishly with unrestrained crudity that Igbos do not have right to negotiate their support to the benefits of their interests in Lagos is not just appalling and preposterous but also outrightly $toopid to suggest. I may not neccessarily give a damn about Ohanaeze and their bullshit but dont come up in my face and tell me asking for a better representation for Igbos is like asking for the Oba's arm, giving our sheer number and contribution to the state we deserve more than a cosmetic appointment of one igbo person in the Lagos state government. I care less if oduduwa owns Lagos, but as long as my size and contributions are sprawling, I deserve a better deal and if using what I ve to get what I want is my way of  realizing that then so be it. Give and take is no robbery.
Look at this one. Nonsensical Reasoning. Did the YORUBA people not make concession for ibos to even build houses and start business on their land?
Re: Lagos Ohanaeze Lists Conditions For Fashola’s Endorsement by Beaf: 4:40am On Mar 03, 2011
Lagos and and Abuja are different from all other Nigerian cities, cos they were developed with federal money as federal capitals. Therefore, everyone is entitled to a piece, or as much as they can grab.
Re: Lagos Ohanaeze Lists Conditions For Fashola’s Endorsement by rhymz(m): 5:41am On Mar 03, 2011
seanet02:

Look at this one. Nonsensical Reasoning. Did the YORUBA people not make concession for ibos to even build houses and start business on their land?
concessions? My friend stop throwing words around whose context and meaning you obviously do not understand. Are you trying to imply in your arguement that the Igbo population was specifically given free lands for them to build their houses and businesses or that there were progressive laws targeted at Igbos that gave them undue advantage? What exactly was the concession given to them that you yap about? That is the problem with a lot of you NL tribal bigots, you jettison simple reasoning and logic to the well even if your supported case is greatly flawed.I am Igbo, I was born and brought up in Lagos and I speak fluent Yoruba, the only claim a Yoruba person has to lagos than me is that Lagos is a yoruba land. But even with his unbriddled sense of entitlement, "If I own a house there and he does not, I go still get mouth pass am in all rammifications, infact, if im mess up na im yoruba brothers na im i go use tidy im 4ck up and clear him doubt".
Re: Lagos Ohanaeze Lists Conditions For Fashola’s Endorsement by onyengbu1(m): 8:42am On Mar 03, 2011
seanet02:

No no no, there was no time yoruba people made any concession.
See how it works/worked:

a yoruba man runs out of cash, -->>
an igbo man tempts him with a lot of money, ->>
he falls for it and sells off his inheritance and ;-->>
that land becomes an igbo property forever. <--

Eku bear and others should chill abeg, Lagos is for everybody, ok. It is your land but we all have equal rights to everything there. No be one Nigeria again?

Are there no yoruba people that has properties outside yorubaland? Na waa oo.
Eko Ile:

You are  fooling yourself, not me. You can not erase you mindless contradictions with what still sounds silly and makes no damn sense.

Now, what's fair game got to do with representation especially when the same representation is there and[b] has been protecting and looking out for your people since day one.[/b] You can not even tell me you are getting the same level of representation in your towns and villages. Your people are thriving in Lagos  because the people representing your people right now are putting in the work to make it happen and you wont be in Lagos if your own people back east are putting in the same level of hard work and commitment.

Again, your problem is  cheap tribalism, not representation. What's more important to your people in Lagos? Safety and prosperity for your people or tribalism?

Looking at your people, towns and villages back east, trust me, they are not great managers and representatives.

The fact is, you people are known for peddling greed, tribalism, and self destruction. Your greed and self destructive behavior set us on a dangerous track from 1966 till today, it sent us to the battle field,  the same greed is responsible for all the killings and kidnappings for money. It's like everywhere you go, there's got to be commotion, confusion, problems, sorrow and sadness.

It's just too hard for you people to live in peace and harmony with others, you just have to insert your destructive behavior and odious insecurities.

And you wonder why Hausa people don't tolerate your nonsense. Obviously, they've figured you out.

lol @ listing conditions. Y'all must be on crack.

bolded points you made are all bull crap.

'Your' Lagos is 'safe' for all because every resident in lagos (igbo,hausa,yoruba,efik urhobo etc) made it so. Yoruba people did not do it alone.

Igbo people's 'behaviour' set the nation in destructive part in the '60s, because they wanted to leave, why werent they allowed to go? Now you are crying that they are sharing Lagos with you. Sorry, bros, that is the reality on ground.
Like I will always say, learn to Live with it!
Re: Lagos Ohanaeze Lists Conditions For Fashola’s Endorsement by EkoIle1: 9:17am On Mar 03, 2011
onye_ngbu:

'Your' Lagos is 'safe' for all because every resident in lagos (igbo,hausa,yoruba,efik urhobo etc) made it so. Yoruba people did not do it alone.

Igbo people's 'behaviour' set the nation in destructive part in the '60s, because they wanted to leave, why werent they allowed to go? Now you are crying that they are sharing Lagos with you. Sorry, bros, that is the reality on ground.
Like I will always say, learn to Live with it!

Wrong my friend. It's called capable leadership, superb public administration, sense of duty, commitment, good sense of priority, investment in security and manpower administration. Something your lawless region and leadership back east don't know nothing about.

I'm sure you read on NL all the stuff we post everyday about Fashola donating armored trucks, police bikes, helicopters, communication stuff, police cars and the most sophisticated Police HQ in Nigeria to the Nigerian police.

Any of your clueless states back east have security trust fund? Do you invest in your people, do you invest in anything but isi ewu and cheap beer?

The fact is, you people are backward ungrateful leeches and parasites, you don't know how to act and that's why you people kidnapp your own school kids for money and slaughter each other for money. It's like you people are coursed. The only think you people understand is the Hausa treatment and that's why you don't f/uck with them.

And you wonder why y'all are all f'ked,
Re: Lagos Ohanaeze Lists Conditions For Fashola’s Endorsement by joeyfire(m): 9:28am On Mar 03, 2011
My dear Governor Fashola has not complained that Ohaneze has listed conditions for his endorsement why are my yoruba peeps beating war drums and screaming blue murder on the the internet.

There is nothing out new about an ethnic interest group making demands on an incumbent,THAT IS POLITICS & DEMOCRACY. Not that any of us even listen to Ohaneze Ndigbo anyway if truth be told. They are trying to press for one or two things they can gain from this election and that is about it.

In the USA there are groups like National Association of Arab Americans, League of Latin Americans etc. They make their demands in exhange for votes so its nothing new. You guys shouldnt worry the average Igbo man is from the bottom of his heart not really interested in politics,he is after money and business first, politics and world domination is very far from his mind.
Re: Lagos Ohanaeze Lists Conditions For Fashola’s Endorsement by EkoIle1: 9:39am On Mar 03, 2011
joeyfire:

My dear Governor Fashola has not complained that Ohaneze has listed conditions for his endorsement why are my yoruba peeps beating war drums and screaming blue murder on the the internet.

There is nothing out new about an ethnic interest group making demands on an incumbent,THAT IS POLITICS & DEMOCRACY. Not that any of us even listen to Ohaneze Ndigbo anyway if truth be told. They are trying to press for one or two things they can gain from this election and that is about it.

In the USA there are groups like National Association of Arab Americans, League of Latin Americans etc. They make their demands in exhange for votes so its nothing new. You guys shouldnt worry the average Igbo man is from the bottom of his heart not really interested in politics,he is after money and business first, politics and world domination is very far from his mind.

1. This is a public forum and we don't need to take instructions or directions from Fashola before we address issues concerning our people.

2. In the USA, interest groups don't issue threats, set conditions or blackmail, they pay lobbyists to lobby elected officials on their behalf or they lobby on their own. I'm sure these ohaneze people know how to get to Alausa like many other interest groups.

3. If all ibo man is interested is money, why are they imposing political conditions? Is the state blocking their money moves?

4. They are trading in peace like millions of other Yoruba people in Lagos, they are also enjoying the same level and quality of representation just like the next Yoruba man.

5. Their problem as usual is tribalism and petty insecurity and they display the same nonsense everywhere they go.

6. Ibo people in Lagos and Yoruba Lagosians don't need useless and irrelevant noise makers like ohaneze bringing their nonsense to Lagos just to start some needless rubbish.
Re: Lagos Ohanaeze Lists Conditions For Fashola’s Endorsement by joeyfire(m): 10:05am On Mar 03, 2011
Eko Ile:

1. This is a public forum and we don't need to take instructions or directions from Fashola before we address issues concerning our people.

2. Interest groups don't issue threats, set conditions or blackmail, they pay lobbyists to lobby elected officials on their behalf or they lobby on their own.

3. If all ibo man is interested is money, why are they imposing political conditions?

4. They are trading in peace like millions of other Yoruba people in Lagos, they are also enjoying the same level and quality of representation just like the next Yoruba man.

5. Their problem as usual is tribalism and petty insecurity and they display the same nonsense everywhere they go,

I have to disagree with you

1. Interest groups DO set conditions, thats what they are - they strive to protect INTERESTS. Whether you agree with them or not is another matter. You are wrong to say that Ohaneze has issued any threats. Asking that for conditions to be satisfied before you vote for a candidate is simply called horse-trading.

2. The average Igbo man does not give a damn about politics but they do care how the government of the day impacts on their means of livelihood. I encourage you to ask any random Igbo person what he thinks about lagos politics and you will understand what i am saying. Ohaneze i repeat is a group of persons with a political agenda.I am igbo and i dont know the name of the president of ohaneze in lagos.

3. The igbos only problem is that they have always been singled out for special suspicion even where there is nothing special to shout about. The reaction to this Ohaneze thing is evidence that there is a deep seated problem with they way we are received
Re: Lagos Ohanaeze Lists Conditions For Fashola’s Endorsement by Katsumoto: 10:18am On Mar 03, 2011
Beaf:

Lagos and and Abuja are different from all other Nigerian cities, cos they were developed with federal money as federal capitals. Therefore, everyone is entitled to a piece, or as much as they can grab.

Your argument about Lagos is wrong on two counts

1. Lagos state is composed off Lagos island, Epe, Ikorodu, Somolu, Agege, Ketu, Ikoyi, VI, Ikeja, Surulere, etc Lagos Island was the seat of government while the other metropolitan areas were part of the Western region and were developed by the western regional government.

2. Proceeds from Cocoa in the western region clearly went into the development of both Lagos metropolitan areas as well as Lagos Island before crude oil was discovered. It is agreed that proceeds of oil went into the development of lagos state during the Gowon years but that development was not a major part of Lagos. There were major developments in lagos before Gowon and there have been developments in Lagos after the federal government left. Also proceeds of Cocoa, groundnut, palm oil went into development of all areas before oil was discovered.
Re: Lagos Ohanaeze Lists Conditions For Fashola’s Endorsement by onyengbu1(m): 10:29am On Mar 03, 2011
Eko Ile:

Wrong my friend. It's called capable leadership, superb public administration, sense of duty, commitment, good sense of priority, investment in security and manpower administration. Something your lawless region and leadership back east don't know nothing about.

I'm sure you read on NL all the stuff we post everyday about Fashola donating armored trucks, police bikes, helicopters, communication stuff, police cars and the most sophisticated Police HQ in Nigeria to the Nigerian police.

Any of your clueless states back east have security trust fund? Do you invest in your people, do you invest in anything but isi ewu and cheap beer?

The fact is, you people are backward ungrateful leeches and parasites, you don't know how to act and that's why you people kidnapp your own school kids for money and slaughter each other for money. It's like you people are coursed. The only think you people understand is the Hausa treatment and that's why you don't f/uck with them.

And you wonder why y'all are all f'ked,

Sorry my friend, very sorry. You are finally blowing hot for something you have no control over. Dont get hypertension for that because even if you do;
those ungrateful leeches and parasites who dont know how to act and kidnap their children for money and slaughter each other for money are there for real WITH YOU in Lagos and your spiralling blood pressure will not stop that.

It can only get worse. grin

Maybe your 'hausa treatment' will work; so why not bring it on. cool

Once again sorry my friend. cry
Re: Lagos Ohanaeze Lists Conditions For Fashola’s Endorsement by Katsumoto: 10:42am On Mar 03, 2011
I think the problem here was/is actually caused by the liberal and welcoming stance of the Yoruba

A few questions
1.There are sizable Igbo populations in other cities such as Texas and Kano; are the Igbo demanding concessions from political officials in those cities? If not, why not?

2. Surely if the Igbo believe that they have the numbers to effect change, why are they not using it?

3. Giving the perception in the country about Igbo expansionism and concomitant violent reprisals to such perception in the North in the past, isn't it akin to stirring the hornet's nest by seeking political representation in Lagos?

4. Surely, the Igbo have significant economic ties to Lagos but have little cultural ties to the place. Is having economic ties sufficient enough for political representation? I disagree because Lagos is rich in history and there is very little Igbo pedigree in that history. You have to understand that money is not the main priority of the Yoruba. The love of their language, history, and culture is paramount

5. Given the investment of the Igbo in Lagos, shouldn't their primary concern be about projects and developments that enhance and protect their business? They should be demanding better roads, security, protection, etc in places where there businesses are located

6. What happens if the people of Lagos and the Yoruba in general become hostile to the Igbo in Lagos? Is it worth seeking political representation which doesn't promise much when their investments can easily become negatively impacted?

7. Don't the Igbos care about their own land? Isn't counter-productive for some Igbo to be asking for representation in Lagos while others are at the same time requesting secession?

Like Yoruba people will say, 'Ti eyon ba ti yo, a ma wa bekun bekun' (can someone help with the translation)  cheesy
Re: Lagos Ohanaeze Lists Conditions For Fashola’s Endorsement by revomind(m): 10:58am On Mar 03, 2011
Katsumoto:

2. Surely if the Igbo believe that they have the numbers to effect change, why are they not using it?

This is what I was saying even though sarcastically in the first page of this thread. Eko Ile concluded I was Igbo lol.

If the Igbo have the numbers and have even threatened to use it(Mazi Uche), why not just use it? Why list conditions?
The elecctions are about 6 weeks away. Let's all come here to compare notes.
Re: Lagos Ohanaeze Lists Conditions For Fashola’s Endorsement by juman(m): 11:09am On Mar 03, 2011
Support the action governor and see more wonder.
Re: Lagos Ohanaeze Lists Conditions For Fashola’s Endorsement by 1025: 11:14am On Mar 03, 2011
anyone using the umbrela of ohanaeze ndigbo to disorganise lagos is doing so at his own risk.
i am from imo state and i have been in lagos for yrs. there is no functional ohanaeze ndigbo at least not the one i know.
anyone interested in ohanaeze ndigbo shld go back to igbo land and bring it up to standard before coming to disturb the peace of lagos state.
ignorance is just one of the biggest disease. is ohanaeze ndigbo a political group in the first place? some market traders with more containers than their counterparts will just wake up and start talking trash.
most of them have no knowledge of what a political group and a preasure group is.
Re: Lagos Ohanaeze Lists Conditions For Fashola’s Endorsement by onyengbu1(m): 11:22am On Mar 03, 2011
Katsumoto:

I think the problem here was/is actually caused by the liberal and welcoming stance of the Yoruba

A few questions
1.There are sizable Igbo populations in other cities such as Texas and Kano; are the Igbo demanding concessions from political officials in those cities? If not, why not?

3. Giving the perception in the country about Igbo expansionism and concommitant violent reprisals to such perception in the North in the past, isn't it akin to stirring the hornet's nest by seeking political representation in Lagos?

4. Surely, the Igbo have significant economic ties to Lagos but have little cultural ties to the place. Is having economic ties sufficient enough for political representation? I disagree because Lagos is rich in history and there is very little Igbo pedigree in that history. You have to understand that money is not the main priority of the Yoruba. The love of their language, history, and culture is paramount

5. Given the investment of the Igbo in Lagos, shouldn't their primary concern be about projects and developments that enhance and protect their business? They should be demanding better roads, security, protection, etc in places where there businesses are located

6. What happens if the people of Lagos and the Yoruba in general become hostile to the Igbo in Lagos? Is it worth seeking political representation which doesn't promise much when their investments can easily become negatively impacted?

7. Don't the Igbos care about their own land? Isn't counter-productive for some Igbo to be asking for representation in Lagos while others are at the same time requesting secession?

Like Yoruba people will say, 'Ti eyon ba ti yo, a ma wa bekun bekun' (can someone help with the translation)  cheesy

Firstly I wonder why comment from an individual under the guise of Ohaneze is eating all of you up. When was the last time you heard any ohaneze dictate what igbos do or when they represent igbos.

Then again, you are not being sincere on your post above (like always shaa  grin );

1. Why the texas analogy and why not UK example where both igbos and yorubas are in the parliament.

2. When has it been established that the whole or even majority of igbo population is seeking any change in political structure of lagos.

3. There is no hornet's nest anywhere,  
(i) if there is any, it is not sufficient to harm any igbo population in Lagos and not harm yoruba population
(ii) have you asked yourself why the attacks on the igbos in the north has not chased them out of the north or why places like Kano no longer witness attacks on the igbos. The hausas there no better from experience not minding the fact that hausa-igbo population in Kano is by far greater than composition of yoruba-igbo population in lagos.

4. for your item 4, check my item 2 above and then bullcrap to that your 'yoruba is not about money' nonsense.

5. Can you tell me what their primary concerns are if not what you listed in 5 above.

6. Any hostile behaviour towards igbos in lagos will not go down well with both parties and then I am asking: Is it worth it?

7. Why on earth would you conclude that igbos dont care about their own land. What evidence do you have to support that claim.

You guys should just relax and stop feeling sorry for yourselves.

Peaceful co existence of all tribes in Lagos is for the good of all and all you internet yoruba warriors should just understand that.
Re: Lagos Ohanaeze Lists Conditions For Fashola’s Endorsement by joeyfire(m): 11:28am On Mar 03, 2011
Katsumoto:

A few questions

3. Giving the perception in the country about Igbo expansionism and concomitant violent reprisals to such perception in the North in the past, isn't it akin to stirring the hornet's nest by seeking political representation in Lagos?

@ Katsumoto -

I find your first comment about ''the problem caused by the welcoming stance of yorubas'' very laughable. The problem (if there is any) is in the minds of people with igbophobia.

Who told you that the murders of Igbo people in the north were caused by an expansionist  agenda? Thats ridiculous. We all know that Igbos are the most visible non-muslim, non hausa-fulani ethnic group in the northern region thats why they seem to be the focus of such attacks.  

But let me ask you the youth corpers and other yorubas murdered by almajiris in jos, where they igbo?  The problem is tribalism and nothing more.Thats why you see people coming online to whip up hatred,threats and maybe violence . Why ? because an Igbo interest group is asking for concessions? We hear stories every day about Nigerians serving in the UK parliament, Some are yorubas i am sure, if they can run for PARTLIAMENT in the UK  then kini  big deal about a group asking for concessions in Lagos state in NIGERIA

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Lagos Presents Cheques To 243 Tanker Fire Victims (Photos) / Israeli Prime Minister, Netanyahu Calls For Nnamdi Kanu’s Release (photo) / Soldiers And Villagers Clash In Niger State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 163
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.