Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,381 members, 7,819,383 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:17 PM

What Do First Class Students Do That Others Dont? - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Do First Class Students Do That Others Dont? (44924 Views)

First Class Students Of Ignatius Ajuru Uni Write Test To Prove Their Grades / Tony Adibeh Has Built A World-class Students Hostel At The COOU Anambra(photos) / Favour Adenuga & Goodnews Johnson, First Class Students In Medicine, ABU Zaria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Do First Class Students Do That Others Dont? by Gerrard59(m): 11:10am On Sep 29, 2020
Agugbadin:
If they are intelligent, why is Nigeria still importing every item we need into this country, even matches despite the fact that we have thousands of 1st class degree holders. I think they are just smart. In Nigeria, just memorize your notes and maybe textbook and give them back to the examiners. The thousands of 1st class degree holders in Nigeria do not contribute to knowledge because they do not necessarily understand the principles of problem solving but they understand the methods of solving problems from their notes and handouts.

United States, Germany, China etc., produce first class graduates in thousands annually and these countries have trillion dollar economies. What you should understand is that a nation cannot entrepreneur her way to prosperity. It involves the political class churning out productive policies aimed at ensuring prosperity is achieved. There is little individuals can do on their volition. For instance, in manufacturing matches, you need constant electricity with affordable wood and pulp. To transport those raw materials, you need motorable roads and no egunje seeking policemen along the way. Mind you, you are competing with Chinese or Turkish producers who do not face similar problems.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Do First Class Students Do That Others Dont? by Shancca: 11:21am On Sep 29, 2020
davidadeoluwa:
cool I'm currently researching on this issue. I conducted an online survey with about 50 respondents, out of which less than 10 ( about 6) were 1st class. The distinct features about them was against popular views; 1. They're smart (they identify and utilize opportunities than the average student) 2. They're not necessarily 'intelligent' but are hardworking. The whole thing is that they don't always have the good cards (i.e intelligence) but are good players (they're smart and hardworking) NB: My findings are not concluded yet and i'm still working on getting more respondents

This already is far-reaching to conclude your findings.

1 Like

Re: What Do First Class Students Do That Others Dont? by ghettochild(m): 11:21am On Sep 29, 2020
Most have a high retention capacity
Re: What Do First Class Students Do That Others Dont? by DAVE5(m): 11:22am On Sep 29, 2020
Cc ednut1

Nah u be first class guy, we wey we be olodo no supposed comment for this kind thread
Re: What Do First Class Students Do That Others Dont? by Lucrativress(f): 11:23am On Sep 29, 2020
emkz:
I would have preferred if the first-class graduates speak for themselves. When many people who did not finish with a first-class start talking about these things, it dilutes and defeats the purpose of the thread. I believe many want to learn.

I had a first-class semester GPA (4.72 out of 5.00). So I think I am slightly qualified to contribute here.

An important aspect is to study the lesson notes (and understand them) as quickly as the lecturer teaches them. Don't wait until exams. Understand, then memorize. Don't memorize before understanding. Also, even importantly, if you are confronted with an exam, understand the question and don't just jump to answer. The only edge I had was that I went beyond what was taught in class. In subjects where I understood the topic presented, getting an A was easy. In subjects where I didn't particularly understand, I struggled to get a B or C.

Abroad (I also studied in Germany), the professors are super-strict and getting a first-class (distinction) is not as easy as many would like to think. What you need to make a distinction is thorough understanding of the subject. Also a significant aspect of training abroad is oral presentations. I got a distinction in all my orals because I did what other students did not do: I used humour in my presentations even when discussing important scientific matters (I wouldn't advise anyone to do it, I am just sharing an experience).

And an aspect that can help anyone is humility and strong relationships. Be quiet. Listen, listen and listen. Don't let your mind wander. Have a good relationship with your supervisor. I saw a guy make a distinction because his supervisor was the dean of the faculty and even though three persons needed to vote to award the distinction in the thesis (which determined if he got a distinction overall), no one dared challenge the grade awarded by the dean.

It most times take grace.
You're a bit wrong Sir by saying only first class students should talk
I believe the key word is knowing and understanding your books,it's all about what's in the books,your understanding to the books,it starts and begins with the books
Assimilating and repetitive memory to the books is like the main thing,creativity in the shortening of concise informations in the books,I think everybody knows this,just that not everyone are ready to put in that hardwork to it,nobody is dull,we all just have to find our own personal way to go about it.
I've forgotten that acronym for reading but assimilating is one key thing,some read longer to assimilate,some put up drama to assimilate,some make it sonorous to assimilate,some don't try to find their as similation stimulant.So first class or not,I believe we all know some general thesis to being a bookworm

1 Like

Re: What Do First Class Students Do That Others Dont? by hansomb: 11:24am On Sep 29, 2020
Pragmatism. When mourinho was mourinho. Have a an established defined way of doing things that leads to success and no matter what never change it for anything else. If you know that if you read 10 hrs everyday whether it raining or not, someone died or not, you happy or not, library is open or not, there's covid break or not, Assu on strike or not, you have foodstuffs or not .Imagine solving like 10 or more past questions for one course. Imagine going to library the first day school resumes b4 lecture even started. Imagine a student that has been reading in this corona period for 5 good hours EVERYDAY. Imagine studying on SALLAH or Chrismas day, imagine studying while you are sick, imagine reading during 2nd semester break for the new level. These are what makes 1st class student wild PASSION with unrelenting extreme discipline with no room for errors.
Re: What Do First Class Students Do That Others Dont? by Nobody: 11:32am On Sep 29, 2020
Omega48:

Is this what dey asked you... It's inferiority complex that will kill you... They asked what first class students do differently, you are saying most of them are jobless... People like you are the problem of this country, always on the defensive side... Very anyhow some body

Are you a first class graduate?
Re: What Do First Class Students Do That Others Dont? by Venerable612(m): 11:36am On Sep 29, 2020
SilverNorGold:
Yeah, some are geniuses, most are good "crammers"..

Most Nigerian lecturers prefer "garbage in, garbage out" ..

For instance, if you write "the man has arrived" in the exam but "the man is here" is in their lecture notes, you'll score 0... No mercy.. No room for creativity. grin

It depends on the course.

Some courses require you to think and be created - for instance, some modules taught under Philosophy, Law etc.

Some requires you to be able to replicate exactly the methods of arriving at a conclusion - e.g.some modules taught English, sciences, engineering and etc.

A students ability to distinguish both approaches is vital to making a First.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Do First Class Students Do That Others Dont? by Nobody: 11:40am On Sep 29, 2020
SmartyPants:

What if she was asked to mark all minus her own?
Only God knows
Re: What Do First Class Students Do That Others Dont? by MrJavaS: 11:47am On Sep 29, 2020
They don't have girlfriends....that's their secret
Re: What Do First Class Students Do That Others Dont? by valves: 11:48am On Sep 29, 2020
davidadeoluwa:
cool I'm currently researching on this issue. I conducted an online survey with about 50 respondents, out of which less than 10 ( about 6) were 1st class. The distinct features about them was against popular views; 1. They're smart (they identify and utilize opportunities than the average student) 2. They're not necessarily 'intelligent' but are hardworking. The whole thing is that they don't always have the good cards (i.e intelligence) but are good players (they're smart and hardworking) NB: My findings are not concluded yet and i'm still working on getting more respondents

Can you share your survey with me??
Re: What Do First Class Students Do That Others Dont? by JustforMen: 11:49am On Sep 29, 2020
Says folks that don't know what it takes to get first class consoling themselves to feel good about their shortcomings.

I have personally never seen a dull first class student! They may lack social skills but they definitely have some personal attributes that predict success.

In the least, they are good crammers but intelligence also involves ability to recollect facts.
They are usually disciplined and committed to tasks.

So awon olodo, be lying to yourselves about someone sorting his way to a first-class...na lie.
An above average student may manage to corrupt his way to a first-class but he surely has to be above average.

If you have put in the works while fools without knowledge of delayed gratification were suffering in the name of flexing and cultism, you will not come here yapping trash about people that have worked to be counted in the top quartile of their class.

You can continue feeling smart from the bottom of the class but leave the people who aspire to excel at their studies to enjoy the reward of their hardwork which is just the feeling of excellence and accomplishment.

Tired of hearing self righteous olodos talking down on what they failed at...

Mark you any first class grad worth his salt will usually have a foot in the door ahead of those olodos who can only analyse other people's success...

By achieving academic success, one would understand the feeling accomplishment at a relatively early age.

Mtcheew

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Do First Class Students Do That Others Dont? by juniorstar(m): 11:53am On Sep 29, 2020
they are
1 smart
2 have the right info or move with people that do
3 ready ahead of the class. some read the next semester course during break
4 find a way to distract themselves once in a while some by attending birthday parties, participating in religious activities on campus, disturbing their colleagues who are reading
5 have tons of high yield/ recent past questions could be from seniors who are good high fliers themselves.
6 financial support in form of scholarship(s) or from home
7 good accommodation not necessarily staying off campus
8 must have good short/ medium term memory
9 must be able to skim tru materials fast
10 understand your lecturers by asking those who have gone ahead of you.
11 you must believe in something!

1 Like

Re: What Do First Class Students Do That Others Dont? by SmartyPants(m): 11:54am On Sep 29, 2020
ZIINI:

Only God knows

So you see, you can't attribute her success to knowing way
Re: What Do First Class Students Do That Others Dont? by ednut1(m): 11:57am On Sep 29, 2020
DAVE5:
Cc ednut1

Nah u be first class guy, we wey we be olodo no supposed comment for this kind thread
undecided which first class o. Na only 100l i dey first class o grin. No be by that one. You fit employ some of the first class as staff today o.
Re: What Do First Class Students Do That Others Dont? by chaloskyx: 11:59am On Sep 29, 2020
THEY VISIT BABA
Re: What Do First Class Students Do That Others Dont? by Ingredient88(m): 11:59am On Sep 29, 2020
First class students, studied very well and no their way too, why others don't studied well, they don't care, dey can't extra stress themselves, and they don't know the way too.
Re: What Do First Class Students Do That Others Dont? by Nobody: 11:59am On Sep 29, 2020
SmartyPants:

So you see, you can't attribute her success to knowing way
You're right
those that come out with a first class is not that their brilliant or they mark exam scripts theirself
Some of them have money and they know what we call WAY
If you know you know
Re: What Do First Class Students Do That Others Dont? by AnI77: 12:00pm On Sep 29, 2020
SilverNorGold:

For instance, if you write "the man has arrived" in the exam but "the man is here" is in their lecture notes, you'll score 0... No mercy.. No room for creativity. grin

This is so not true. Well, I once taught in the one of the Federal Universities in Nigeria, and I bet you that in my seven years of lecturing there, I was not anything like what you have described here, and neither were my colleagues like that.
Re: What Do First Class Students Do That Others Dont? by Karleb(m): 12:00pm On Sep 29, 2020
Some are extremely intelligent. Some are lucky. Some studied hard. Some studied very smart.

Edit.

Some are very good at cramming.
Re: What Do First Class Students Do That Others Dont? by JustforMen: 12:01pm On Sep 29, 2020
juniorstar:
they are
1 smart
2 have the right info or move with people that do
3 ready ahead of the class. some read the next semester course during break
4 find a way to distract themselves once in a while some by attending birthday parties, participating in religious activities on campus, disturbing their colleagues who are reading
5 have tons of high yield/ recent past questions could be from seniors who are good high fliers themselves.
6 financial support in form of scholarship(s) or from home
7 good accommodation not necessarily staying off campus
8 must have good short/ medium term memory
9 must be able to skim tru materials fast
10 understand your lecturers by asking those who have gone ahead of you.
11 you must believe in something!

Your head dey work correctly, abeg.
See Babanla trash wey awon 2.2 men dey yarn e

1 Like

Re: What Do First Class Students Do That Others Dont? by Yankee101: 12:08pm On Sep 29, 2020
Laser focused dedication

Delayed gratification

Competing with yourself

Extra mile attitude

Continous improvement

Willingness to learn

Can do attitude

Go study abroad

2 Likes

Re: What Do First Class Students Do That Others Dont? by Depopular(m): 12:15pm On Sep 29, 2020
I was a first class student from my first year to my third yr. I was not the most intelligent student in my class and I was never serious about my studies.
but in my final year that I was very serious and was conciouse of graduating with first class, I had the worst result that led to me graduating with 4:39 GP.
what i am saying in essence is that first class students are not necessarily intelligent, but are smart

1 Like

Re: What Do First Class Students Do That Others Dont? by Nobody: 12:16pm On Sep 29, 2020
Paul8344:
My view on this is dichotomous:
1.Hardworking
2.Naturally endowed

Based on non-fictious view, Hard work tends to override every other approach to success. First Class students study more than those with lower grades academically. Even the ones you think they don't read much and yet graduate with first class have a well schedule for all their activities.

Some people are naturally more intelligent than other and will take lesser time to understand, but Hardwork cannot be compromised here.

FIRST CLASS STUDENTS HAVE MORE TO OFFER THAN OTHERS IN THEIR FIELD OF STUDY; PRACTICALLY OR THEORITICALLY, CETERIS PARIBUS!!!

I guess you majored in Economics which is most likely the influence of your last two words.

When I was 15, I applied to study Law but was given another course instead. I wrote JAMB again but my parents insisted I must do the Social Science course. I made first class the two semesters I studied the course and was one of the best before I moved on to LAW the next year.
The longest I read any course was 30 minutes and usually within 6 hours before the Exams.

When I moved to LAW the next year I felt I'd break the faculty record if I invested my all because I had a GPA of almost 5.0 reading each course for not more than one hour, just once, a whole semester.

I bought textbooks , journals and rated my lecturers as average tutors. I'd rather read in my room than attend classes. That First semester I had a second class GPA for the first time in my life. I knew every single course as written in the textbook word for word. I was discouraged and just stayed at the back of the class during my second semester in 100 level and read less . I had a first class GPA that second semester. Year 2 first semester I read like year 1 first semester and I had mostly B grades. I gave up . I started flexing life and graduated with a second class upper. There was nothing I didn't know or could not know. I even felt I knew more than my lecturers and that Law was very simple and basic unlike the hype.

I learnt that to make a First Class you must attend classes and read from one source , particularly the source of lecturer. Could be the lecturer's notes or special material. Attending a class will give a hint of what the lecturer wants. You may read more and know more than an average First class student but the First class Student is there because he basically keeps to instructions and gives the lecturer what he wants .

For instance a brilliant student may miss three Economics classes and in one of those classes the lecturer emphasizes that it is always better to give the definition of Professor Lionel Robins first , then Adams Smith's definition, your own definition before others.
Now the Brilliant Student who missed classes may read three Economics textbooks and gather up to 20 definitions of economics while the first class student reads just the notes of the lecturer and the definitions he specified.

On the Examination paper the question comes :
"What is Economics?" The brilliant Student who read and knows very well but did not attend classes gives 10 definitions and places Professor Lionel Robin's definition as the fourth and maybe omits that of Adams Smith . He is not wrong , not stupid, may pass an interview and win a quiz than any student in his class but his lecturer will score him 4 , at most 5.

An average student who attended class may give Adams Smith's definition first then Professor Lionel Robin's then his own definition and may score 6 or 7.

A first class Student who definitely attended the class would give the definition of Professor Lionel Robin's first, then Adams Smith ,then his own definition and then two other definitions he read "just to tackle that particular question". The first class Student would score at least 8 or 9 for that question.

If you are intelligent and understand the point of view of each lecturer you will make first class. How do you understand their point of view ? By listening to them speak. How do you listen to them speak? By attending their classes.

Real life experience!
Depopular , you're smart. Just finished typing your thoughts. Smart people who finished as second class upper Students understand this.

4 Likes

Re: What Do First Class Students Do That Others Dont? by drehdinho(m): 12:35pm On Sep 29, 2020
SilverNorGold:

For instance, if you write "the man has arrived" in the exam but "the man is here" is in their lecture notes, you'll score 0... No mercy.. No room for creativity.

The bold is absolutely wrong. I know at least about the guy in the second picture. He performed exceptionally well both home and abroad and consistently to prove he didn't excel by luck, but by a deliberate plan.

I feel this exceptional folks have special ability to retain whatever they have learned. Also, they appear to learn book related stuff faster than others.

I happened to meet two guys that are like these. I met one in my primary school and the other one I met him in my secondary school.

The former was exceptionally brilliant to the extent that he was solving SS2 Maths perfectly and without stress.

Ironically, this guy was so playful, an attribute that totally debunk the general view that for someone to perform well in his studies he or she must be serious and less playful.

This dude can do virtually everything with so much precision. He passed all his WAEC with distinction when he was in SS1 or so. I'm not so sure...

This dude came from a very poor family. As in enh! The kind of grace that guy carried have never seen any one else with something close to it, let alone exactly like it.

It's just so massive. The other one I met in the secondary school was just an average genius.

Now some persons would know genius get levels.

My take about these special type of people is that they know how to write exams to impress lecturers. This is just the only secret I think they have.
Re: What Do First Class Students Do That Others Dont? by Depopular(m): 12:36pm On Sep 29, 2020
ethicallyright:

I guess you majored in Economics which is most likely the influence of your last two words.

When I was 15, I applied to study Law but was given another course instead. I wrote JAMB again but my parents insisted I must do the Social Science course. I made first class the two semesters I studied the course and was one of the best before I moved on to LAW the next year.
The longest I read any course was 30 minutes and usually within 6 hours before the Exams.

When I moved to LAW the next year I felt I'd break the faculty record if I invested my all because I had a GPA of almost 5.0 reading each course for not more than one hour, just once, a whole semester.

I bought textbooks , journals and rated my lecturers as average tutors. I'd rather read in my room than attend classes. That First semester I had a second class GPA for the first time in my life. I knew every single course as written in the textbook word for word. I was discouraged and just stayed at the back of the class during my second semester in 100 level and read less . I had a first class GPA that second semester. Year 2 first semester I read like year 1 first semester and I had mostly B grades. I gave up . I started flexing life and graduated with a second class upper. There was nothing I didn't know or could not know. I even felt I knew more than my lecturers and that Law was very simple and basic unlike the hype.

I learnt that to make a First Class you must attend classes and read from one source , particularly the source of lecturer. Could be the lecturer's notes or special material. Attending a class will give a hint of what the lecturer wants. You may read more and know more than an average First class student but the First class Student is there because he basically keeps to instructions and gives the lecturer what he wants .

For instance a brilliant student may miss three Economics classes and in one of those classes the lecturer emphasizes that it is always better to give the definition of Professor Lionel Robins first , then Adams Smith's definition, your own definition before others.
Now the Brilliant Student who missed classes may read three Economics textbooks and gather up to 20 definitions of economics while the first class student reads just the notes of the lecturer and the definitions he specified.

On the Examination paper the question comes :
"What is Economics?" The brilliant Student who read and knows very well but did not attend classes gives 10 definitions and places Professor Lionel Robin's definition as the fourth and maybe omits that of Adams Smith . He is not wrong , not stupid, may pass an interview and win a quiz than any student in his class but his lecturer will score him 4 , at most 5.

An average student who attended class may give Adams Smith's definition first then Professor Lionel Robin's then his own definition and may score 6 or 7.

A first class Student who definitely attended the class would give the definition of Professor Lionel Robin's first, then Adams Smith ,then his own definition and then two other definitions he read "just to tackle that particular question". The first class Student would score at least 8 or 9 for that question.

If you are intelligent and understand the point of view of each lecturer you will make first class. How do you understand their point of view ? By listening to them speak. How do you listen to them speak? By attending their classes.

Real life experience!
Depopular , you're smart. Just finished typing your thoughts. Smart people who finished as second class upper Students understand this.
Re: What Do First Class Students Do That Others Dont? by LegalWolf: 12:41pm On Sep 29, 2020
falcon01:
They have nothing better to do they put their whole life in education and only few become successful.
Looool. That’s absolutely NOT true. They stand a better chance of being successful in life than the average graduate. They are sought after by both local and international organizations. They have the leverage to travel abroad and get scholarships. The opportunities are enormous.
Re: What Do First Class Students Do That Others Dont? by freeborn02: 12:49pm On Sep 29, 2020
falcon01:
only few become successful.

Abeg, what do you mean by this?
Re: What Do First Class Students Do That Others Dont? by IamgratefulLord(f): 12:55pm On Sep 29, 2020
teamsynergy:
I think it depends on your level of intelligence , exposure , type of uni, nature of your department and your determination.

For me, I studied chemistry in a federal uni and trust me ehn, if you aspire to finish with a first class in that department, you must be ready to study for extended hours and cut off every other thing . Still, there is absolutely no guarantee cos the lecturers were harsh ASF. First class was not my target , I explored other departments and fields, made great friends and today , I work in a multinational tech firm as an engineer without an engineering cert.

Anyday anytime, I will pick alround versatility over first class in one field.

PS: I have met a handful of first class grads and I don't thinks they are geniuses. They are kinda very determined and love to study
Where do you work? smiley
Re: What Do First Class Students Do That Others Dont? by therajah: 12:58pm On Sep 29, 2020
They score As and others score Bs, Cs and Ds
Re: What Do First Class Students Do That Others Dont? by abbassani23(m): 12:58pm On Sep 29, 2020
An important factor is d nature of secondary sch one graduated from. I knew a sec sch set that produced 15 first class students frm both national and international universities. The orientation one had before enrolling uni is also a strong catalyst, the nature of d Uni, the course, competition in class, the love one had for d specific course, the hardwork, the luck and most important is d INTELLIGENCE are sometimes d determining factors 4 first class

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-Ife In Pictures (Old/ Construction site Pix) / Covenant University Officially Responds To Transcript Controversy / Female OAU Students Climb Mast To Celebrate Their Graduation(pic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.