Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,992 members, 7,814,389 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:06 PM

Biden And Trump Presidential Election Debate In US Tonight - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Biden And Trump Presidential Election Debate In US Tonight (36409 Views)

Picture Of Joe Biden And A Group Of Women / President Joe Biden And Vladimir Putin's Geneva's Summit Meeting - In Pictures / War Of Words As Trump & Biden Square Off In First Presidential Election Debate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Biden And Trump Presidential Election Debate In US Tonight by naptu2: 5:04pm On Sep 29, 2020
US election 2020: What time is the Trump v Biden presidential debate? 

29 September 2020

We've had months of set-piece events, tightly controlled by a team of campaign staff. Well, that's about to end.

On the debate stage, candidates are on their own and in the whole campaign, this is the moment most fraught with risk.

Plenty can go wrong, so hold on tight.

Here's your handy guide.

When - and where - are the Trump v Biden debates?

There are three presidential debates on the agenda:

29 September in Cleveland, Ohio

15 October in Miami, Florida

22 October in Nashville, Tennessee

Vice-President Mike Pence and Senator Kamala Harris will also go head-to-head:

7 October in Salt Lake City, Utah

They all take place from 21:00-22:30ET (02:00-03:30BST), with no commercial interruptions.

What's the format for the first debate?

Six questions in six segments, 15 minutes each. The segments are:

Mr Trump and Mr Biden will get two minutes apiece to respond to the question initially before the back-and-forth begins.

The first moderator is Fox News Sunday anchor Chris Wallace .

A lot of people might think a Fox News anchor would give President Trump an easy ride but this is no Sean Hannity. Quite the opposite. The president has endured some of his most awkward moments sitting across from Wallace, whose command of the detail is legendary.

An interview in July went viral when Wallace told Mr Trump he'd taken the same cognitive ability test the president touted, telling him it was "not the hardest test".

Mr Trump - who typically favours Fox News - has dismissed Wallace as a "wannabe" of his father, Mike Wallace, who was an original reporter with CBS 60 Minutes.

A registered Democrat, Wallace has said moderating debates is a serious business as it helps "millions of people decide who we're going to elect".

For the second debate, we'll have C-Span's political editor Steve Scully moderating. That's a town hall format which means real people get to play a part too.

Finally, NBC's White House correspondent Kristen Welker will round out the debate season.

USA Today Washington Bureau Chief Susan Page will tackle the one and only vice-presidential debate.

https://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2020-54003441

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Biden And Trump Presidential Election Debate In US Tonight by naptu2: 5:04pm On Sep 29, 2020
The debate will take place between 2am and 3:30am Nigerian time.

78 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Biden And Trump Presidential Election Debate In US Tonight by naptu2: 5:09pm On Sep 29, 2020
naptu2:
The first US presidential election season that I paid close attention to was the 1988 election season (for obvious reasons. That was the season of Jesse Jackson vs. Dukakis). Prior to 1988 I had only known the candidates and the eventual winners. I had never watched the debates, primaries, inaugurations, inauguration balls, etc. I wasn’t really interested in them.

I have watched every US presidential election debate since 1988 (that’s 30 years) and there were usually only 2 presidential candidates at each of those debates. The only exception was in 1992 and that was because the phenomenon known as Ross Perot contested as an independent candidate. This is despite the fact that between 7 to 10 candidates contested each of those presidential elections.

Michael Dukakis debated against George Bush in the main 1988 presidential debate, despite the fact that there were 7 presidential candidates in the 1988 election.

George Bush the 1st, Bill Clinton and Ross Perot took part in the 1992 presidential debate, despite the fact that there were 9 presidential candidates in the 1992 election.

Only Bill Clinton and Bob Dole took part in the 1996 debate, despite the fact that there were 10 presidential candidates in the 1996 election. This was also despite the fact that Ross Perot contested the election again and also despite the fact that there was another phenomenon called Ralph Nader that contested in that election.

George Bush the 2nd and Al Gore were the only candidates that took part in the 2000 debate, despite the fact that there were 9 presidential candidates in that election.

It’s usually only the Republican and Democratic candidates that take part in the main presidential debates, despite the fact that there are other candidates. Some people also organise an alternative presidential debate in which candidates from the smaller parties and independents get to debate their ideas in front of the public, but its only the candidates of the two major parties that usually take part in the main presidential debates.

2 Likes

Re: Biden And Trump Presidential Election Debate In US Tonight by Kriss216: 5:09pm On Sep 29, 2020
4+4 for Donald Ebuka Trump.

God bless America
God bless Trump
God bless Obaseki

Shame on Ambode!

123 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Biden And Trump Presidential Election Debate In US Tonight by naptu2: 5:15pm On Sep 29, 2020
naptu2:
Some people hated him because of all the wars that he engaged in, some very seriously hated him because of what happened to black Americans during his tenure, some (like my dad) thought that he was a cowboy, but what nobody can deny was that he was a very funny man. I marvelled at the way that he created incredibly crazy jokes out of nothing.

For example, during the 1984 presidential debate, the moderator said that he was the oldest presidential candidate in history and that some members of his staff had told journalist that he was tired after the last debate. The moderator said that President Kennedy went several days without sleep during the Cuban Missile Crises, so, did he think that he was too old to contest for the presidency and did he think that he would be able to withstand the rigours of office.

President Reagan replied that he would not make age an issue of the campaign. He said that he would not exploit for political purposes his opponent's youth and inexperience. grin Even his opponent, Walter Mondale, could not help but bust out laughing. The joke completely disarmed the moderator.

What about the "bombing joke".

While waiting for the engineers to get ready for his live address to the nation, President Reagan jokingly made a little speech. (Now remember that this was in the middle of the Cold War). He said:

"My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. We begin bombing in 5 minutes".

grin grin

Of course that was not broadcast live, but it was leaked by the media much later and it caused a lot of confusion in the Soviet Union.

naptu2:
This is just crazy! grin Watch this one, you need to watch this one.

This is the age joke and you need to watch it. Just look at Senator Mondale's reaction! Even he couldn't help but laugh. The joke completely took out the journalist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJhCjMfRndk

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Biden And Trump Presidential Election Debate In US Tonight by Righteousness89(m): 5:26pm On Sep 29, 2020
It's Gonna be Interesting..
If there is Gonna be an Election at all,
I see President Trump Trashing Joe Biden..
I see so much unrest in the US, because the Desperation of the Far left/ the liberals backed by George soros and the Fake news media is out of this world.
They will definitely lose and they will likely go around Destroying things.

Whatever happens, I Admonish all to look beyond this World and Ensure your Life is Settled in Christ..

With the way things are going, I see Mystries that will Shake the Earth Happening..

Whatever Happens, JESUS is King.. JESUS is Coming..

118 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Biden And Trump Presidential Election Debate In US Tonight by Nobody: 5:30pm On Sep 29, 2020
shocked

Wow,it's a must watch for me.
Trump would trash biden in the debates no doubt while Harris will trash pence.

For the elections no doubt biden harris would emerge winner,I don't think Americans are ready for another chaotic second term of president Trump.

Trump lies at everything,some of the lies he will tell at this debates will make even lucifer to be amazed. grin

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biden And Trump Presidential Election Debate In US Tonight by Mikelarteta(m): 5:31pm On Sep 29, 2020
Either good or bad, truth or lies, just come say something to convince or confuse the electorate. This is a country where things work not the one where a presidential candidate will send his spokesman to represent him or completely refuse showing up for debates. Spits.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biden And Trump Presidential Election Debate In US Tonight by Dalil8: 5:31pm On Sep 29, 2020
May the force be with Donald J Trump

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biden And Trump Presidential Election Debate In US Tonight by ignis: 5:31pm On Sep 29, 2020
Nigerian politicians and electorates won't learn.
Next thing we will vote incompetent, inarticulate and expired leaders.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biden And Trump Presidential Election Debate In US Tonight by JamParkMe: 5:32pm On Sep 29, 2020
I don't care about American politics but it's time for Trump to step down and face criminal prosecution. This guy is more corrupt than your typical Nigerian politician and that's saying a lot.

33 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Biden And Trump Presidential Election Debate In US Tonight by Mohayemi(m): 5:32pm On Sep 29, 2020
Interesting

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Biden And Trump Presidential Election Debate In US Tonight by chiefolododo(m): 5:32pm On Sep 29, 2020
T
Re: Biden And Trump Presidential Election Debate In US Tonight by Golan007: 5:32pm On Sep 29, 2020
Like Trump like Kola Auko - Fake Billionaire.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biden And Trump Presidential Election Debate In US Tonight by MrMystrO(m): 5:32pm On Sep 29, 2020
Trump 2020!

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biden And Trump Presidential Election Debate In US Tonight by TobsAutos: 5:32pm On Sep 29, 2020
Tr
Re: Biden And Trump Presidential Election Debate In US Tonight by Merimental(m): 5:32pm On Sep 29, 2020
Democrats will be hoping Biden doesn't goof during d debate grin

D moment Trump has been waiting for.

Trump will surely send Biden crashing tonight.

#Trumpence2020

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biden And Trump Presidential Election Debate In US Tonight by Emmy3(m): 5:32pm On Sep 29, 2020
Where to watch on DStv.

400 BBC World N
401 CNN International ✔️✔️
402 SKY News ✔️✔️
403 eNCA
404 SABC News
405 ANN 7
406 Al-Jazeera English

Stream:
1. CNN on YouTube
2. Sky News on YouTube
2. ABS on YouTube

Watch on FTA:
1. News Room HD
2. AJ News
3. Sky News

7 Likes

Re: Biden And Trump Presidential Election Debate In US Tonight by TobsAutos: 5:32pm On Sep 29, 2020
Trump for the win!!!

12 Likes

Re: Biden And Trump Presidential Election Debate In US Tonight by pwansunriseteam: 5:32pm On Sep 29, 2020
A very tough one
Still want Trump to retain that seat

Ndi Igbo
Nke a bu Nke anyi
Egwu a na aku na Nigeria but egwu nkwapu nkwapu. Dika anyi na enejere anya ka anyi nwee Obodo nke anyi, izuta Ala na Ala Igbo?. Were Oso na ije bia zuta Ala nke gi na ebe di iche iche anyi nwere Ala dika;
Nnewi
Awka
Umueri nke di na Anambra
Aba nke di na Abia State
Enugu
Asaba
Port-Harcourt
Uyo
Calabar

Anyi na eji ugbo Ala were kwara ndi choro ifu Ala anyi wee ga gosi ha Ala anyi na akwuhhi ugwo obula. Oburu na ichoro izuta Ala ngwa kpoturu anyi na ekwe nti kanyi detue aha go na akwukwo ndi ga aga ihu Ala anyi.

6 Likes

Re: Biden And Trump Presidential Election Debate In US Tonight by Theta1: 5:33pm On Sep 29, 2020
Okay
Re: Biden And Trump Presidential Election Debate In US Tonight by naptu2: 5:33pm On Sep 29, 2020
naptu2:
What the he'll?

I was going to write about the bizarre reactions of Nigerians to the US elections, but I didn't have the time, but I've seen some pretty crazy things in the past 24 hours.

US presidential elections were just another form of entertainment to some Nigerians, while most Nigerians couldn't really care about them. They were just another item at the end of the news. We had our own problems.

That changed a bit in 1988 when Jesse Jackson ran for president. Many Nigerians supported him for obvious reasons and were disappointed when Dukakis won.

1992/1993 election season provided fantastic entertainment, Sistah Soja ambushing Bill Clinton, Bill Clinton's cardboard sign (It's the economy, stupid), George Bush 1st focusing on his foreign affairs track record, etc (it also had the best inaugural concert).

Bush vs Gore wasn't our problem, but it did provide drama, what with the perforated or half perforated ballot papers, etc.

But all of that changed in 2008. The way people went on about the election, you would think that Obama was running for the Nigerian presidency. Ndi Okereke-Onyuike bizarrely had a fund raising dinner for him in Lagos! People printed Obama thirty and other similar nonsense.

But this year takes the cake. I just saw an article about people in Abuja who are staging a protest against Donald Trump. Friends became enemies because of this election. People are arguing over whether Buhari was invited or not (like WTH). By the way, this same nonsense happened in 2012 when Bola Tinubu attended Obama's inauguration and ACN supporters claimed that Goodluck Jonathan was snubbed. When have you ever seen a sitting Nigerian head of state at a US presidential inauguration?? In fact, when have you seen a British, German, Japanese or Russian head of state at a US presidential inauguration? Does it mean that they were all snubbed?

Re: Biden And Trump Presidential Election Debate In US Tonight by Eventscentre: 5:33pm On Sep 29, 2020
T
Re: Biden And Trump Presidential Election Debate In US Tonight by Starzo: 5:33pm On Sep 29, 2020
Joe biden will do a Nigerian politician today

Get ready for fainting:white house edition grin

11 Likes

Re: Biden And Trump Presidential Election Debate In US Tonight by Suspect33(m): 5:33pm On Sep 29, 2020
4+4

3 Likes

Re: Biden And Trump Presidential Election Debate In US Tonight by hopexter(m): 5:33pm On Sep 29, 2020
U.S no be Edo. Biden for President cheesy

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Biden And Trump Presidential Election Debate In US Tonight by PureGoldh(m): 5:33pm On Sep 29, 2020
As e dey hot......I pray Trump wins this forthcoming election

11 Likes

Re: Biden And Trump Presidential Election Debate In US Tonight by timesup234: 5:33pm On Sep 29, 2020
Why bring shithole america topic to the front page? America is overrated. The greatest shithole in human history

6 Likes

Re: Biden And Trump Presidential Election Debate In US Tonight by Eventscentre: 5:33pm On Sep 29, 2020

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Putin Fires General Roman Gavrilov, Who Has Suffered Major Losses In Ukraine / Fox News Cameraman Pierre Zakrzewski Killed In Ukraine By Russian Military Fire. / US Navy Seals Seized Weapon Sent By Iran To Arm Houthi Rebel In The Red Sea

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.