Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,829 members, 7,810,184 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:43 PM

800 Houses To Go As Lagos Proposes $2.2 Billon For 4th Mainland Bridge - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 800 Houses To Go As Lagos Proposes $2.2 Billon For 4th Mainland Bridge (57084 Views)

Open Grazing Ban: Lagos Proposes 21-Year Jail Term For Armed Herders / Reno Omokri Promises To Pay Buhari ₦1 Billon In Bitcoin If He Can Do This (Pix) / Breaking: Efcc Arrest Senator James Manager Over N5 Billon Fraud (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 800 Houses To Go As Lagos Proposes $2.2 Billon For 4th Mainland Bridge by Gamesmart: 11:36pm On Sep 29, 2020
sidonlook:

I believe that journalist thought that Cairo is in Europe.

Cairo is the capital of Egypt in Africa.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: 800 Houses To Go As Lagos Proposes $2.2 Billon For 4th Mainland Bridge by Lisaint(m): 11:36pm On Sep 29, 2020
Cyberterror:
To me, the project is just a waste of resources because basically the proposed route of this new bridge is same as the third mainland bridge. It will even "flyover" the third mainland bridge!! So it is more of an ego trip than a necessity. That 2.2 billion dollars will be more beneficial if it is used to pave the many unpaved roads in the satellite towns of Lagos State.

thats how they started Badagry road with beautiful design on paper and 3D!!!then LASG through ministry of physical planning had to mark houses from agbara to Badagry roundabout!
Later they change the design again and turn it to 2 Lanes (one coming and another one going with a concrete road divider in the middle)
Even marina-okoko roads/rail is taking ages!
Now they have come with fourth mainland to steal and enrich themselves again

2 Likes

Re: 800 Houses To Go As Lagos Proposes $2.2 Billon For 4th Mainland Bridge by Ajibel(m): 11:36pm On Sep 29, 2020
TLE900:
True talk. They always want to embark on ambitious projects where they will enrich their pockets. They won't think of ambitious projects where the poor can become rich hence closing poverty index

Are you aware that in the course of doing this project, a lot of people will be employed and paid? Isn't that a way of enriching people's pockets too
Re: 800 Houses To Go As Lagos Proposes $2.2 Billon For 4th Mainland Bridge by GoodGovernance: 11:40pm On Sep 29, 2020
Ajibel:

Are you aware that in the course of doing this project, a lot of people will be employed and paid? Isn't that a way of enriching people's pockets too

Whatever.

I believe metro rail lines are more needed than bridges,in Lagos.

Rail lines would create more extensive and permanent jobs than bridges, apart from other superior benefits.
Re: 800 Houses To Go As Lagos Proposes $2.2 Billon For 4th Mainland Bridge by Housing(m): 11:43pm On Sep 29, 2020
Cyberterror:
To me, the project is just a waste of resources because basically the proposed route of this new bridge is same as the third mainland bridge. It will even "flyover" the third mainland bridge!! So it is more of an ego trip than a necessity. That 2.2 billion dollars will be more beneficial if it is used to pave the many unpaved roads in the satellite towns of Lagos State.

You are ignorant of the route. Is Ijede, Itokin road on same route as the third mainland?

3 Likes

Re: 800 Houses To Go As Lagos Proposes $2.2 Billon For 4th Mainland Bridge by shugabasbn: 11:46pm On Sep 29, 2020
I hope when it started it won't be like Orile-Badagry express road that is taking more than century
Re: 800 Houses To Go As Lagos Proposes $2.2 Billon For 4th Mainland Bridge by pandabet(m): 11:46pm On Sep 29, 2020
naija4life247:

Go back to your village
is Lagos ur village

don't live DAT under bridge u re staying and go back to oshogbo
Re: 800 Houses To Go As Lagos Proposes $2.2 Billon For 4th Mainland Bridge by pandabet(m): 11:47pm On Sep 29, 2020
naija4life247:

Leave this thread now and go back to your village
live Lagos and go back to oshogbo
Re: 800 Houses To Go As Lagos Proposes $2.2 Billon For 4th Mainland Bridge by Piddo(m): 12:03am On Sep 30, 2020
Cyberterror:

What part of this "It starts at the Abraham Adesanya Roundabout in Lekki where a “free flow” interchange will be constructed as well as some traffic flow alterations to the existing Lekki – Epe Expressway so as to maintain traffic movements during construction."[i][/i] do you not understand?
Re: 800 Houses To Go As Lagos Proposes $2.2 Billon For 4th Mainland Bridge by Nobody: 12:03am On Sep 30, 2020
Lagos State to Africa. Ondo State to the World grin.

1 Like

Re: 800 Houses To Go As Lagos Proposes $2.2 Billon For 4th Mainland Bridge by ccollins(m): 12:06am On Sep 30, 2020
Ajibel:

Lagos is already spending money on the city rail (they have blue line and red line in progress) and they've also invested in water transportation via @Lagferry
you are aware that the Badagary roads are still very bad shape
Re: 800 Houses To Go As Lagos Proposes $2.2 Billon For 4th Mainland Bridge by ikorodureporta: 12:19am On Sep 30, 2020
Empty promise!
Just to score political relevance. Una no go launch the railway line first, b4 all these.
Re: 800 Houses To Go As Lagos Proposes $2.2 Billon For 4th Mainland Bridge by Originalsly: 12:20am On Sep 30, 2020
Ajibel:

It's not a waste of resources. The project would be financed by private investors and they'll recoup their investment via the tolls.

The many unpaved roads are currently receiving attention by the Lagos public works even without the 2.2billion trillion grin

.....and when the private investors hammer you with tolls do you really think you can afford it?... how long will they be waiting to recoup their investment? Weren't we shouting good development ... electricity in the hands of private investors?... and we're now wailing as they keep hammering us with more and more tariff?.... and they didn't even invest half billion?

@ topic...... large cities.... with good road infrastructure and management are trying to keep traffic out of the city.... but here we are... with poor city road infrastructure ... maintenance and management..... ready to burden over burdened residents with 2 billion dollars for a bridge to bring more traffic into gridlocked Lagos.... and the residents are applauding this as a great move. Why not mass transit? One other idiot grandiose Governor was shouting cable cars as mass transit... and we applauded. Something is wrong with us.
Re: 800 Houses To Go As Lagos Proposes $2.2 Billon For 4th Mainland Bridge by Ajibel(m): 12:22am On Sep 30, 2020
ccollins:
you are aware that the Badagary roads are still very bad shape

Yes sir. I'm also aware that some network of roads were recently completed in Badagry. Maybe they'll soon get to the bad ones, we hope!
Re: 800 Houses To Go As Lagos Proposes $2.2 Billon For 4th Mainland Bridge by stagger: 12:35am On Sep 30, 2020
Cyberterror:

This fellow. What is the difference between your line of thought and that of Bubu in cancelling the Lagos Metro Project?
Re: 800 Houses To Go As Lagos Proposes $2.2 Billon For 4th Mainland Bridge by Brunicekid(m): 12:39am On Sep 30, 2020
omowolewa:
Any road Connecting Ikorodu to Island worth the investment. Already people now travel that distance by boat to avoid traffic.

Good vision, good 'Country in a Country'
As in eeenn...

That Ikorodu-to-Island part really grabbed my attention!
Re: 800 Houses To Go As Lagos Proposes $2.2 Billon For 4th Mainland Bridge by miketayo(m): 12:41am On Sep 30, 2020
Cyberterror:

Is the 3MB connected to ikorodu or lekki.. from ajah to ikd, u have to pass either cms or epe, you will spend nothing less than 2 hours. From ikorodu water bank you can actually see lekki and ajah on the other side, by boat it's 8mins to ajah, about 25mins to lekki and 35 to VI. Imagine a bridge connecting those places. You still think it's a waste of resources undecided

4 Likes

Re: 800 Houses To Go As Lagos Proposes $2.2 Billon For 4th Mainland Bridge by deomelo: 12:42am On Sep 30, 2020
Cyberterror:

How are they the same? Or you mean the 3rd MB also stretches from Lekki to Ikorodu like the 4th MB?

Is it by force to comment per what you know nothing about? I can't believe many ignorant people like you liked your post.
Re: 800 Houses To Go As Lagos Proposes $2.2 Billon For 4th Mainland Bridge by deomelo: 12:44am On Sep 30, 2020
miketayo:

Is the 3MB connected to ikorodu or lekki.. from ajah to ikd, u have to pass either cms or epe, you will spend nothing less than 2 hours. From ikorodu water bank you can actually see lekki and ajah on the other side, by boat it's 8mins to ajah, about 25mins to lekki and 35 to VI. Imagine a bridge connecting those places. You still think it's a waste of resources undecided

I think he's either confused or he did not read the article or he's just in the wrong thread.
Re: 800 Houses To Go As Lagos Proposes $2.2 Billon For 4th Mainland Bridge by nextstep(m): 12:45am On Sep 30, 2020
Impressive. Most impressive.

Lagos just keeps leaving the other states behind. I lived in Surulere till 14 years old or so, when we moved to Asaba. I still have the majority of my family living in Lagos. Even now, I'm always blown away by the new developments, beautification, overheads and bridges whenever I visit Lagos. With Eko Atlantic, Banana Island, all of Lekki, the mainland bridges, now this. They try, I can't lie.

What I wish would happen is that the money in Lagos would be spent on improving the environment for the average citizens... otherwise it will continue to be a mega slum for the average person.

2 Likes

Re: 800 Houses To Go As Lagos Proposes $2.2 Billon For 4th Mainland Bridge by ozor333(m): 12:47am On Sep 30, 2020
Cyberterror:
I don't think those area you just mentioned now is part of Lagos . Why? I noticed the only area the Government have been paying attention is mainland and Island.
Re: 800 Houses To Go As Lagos Proposes $2.2 Billon For 4th Mainland Bridge by 12inchess: 1:00am On Sep 30, 2020
naija4life247:

Go back to your village

This is a bloody waste of 2.2 billion dollars.How do I know? This is my field. I'm on my way to getting a PhD. With 2.2 billion dollars you can avoid the mistakes made in the U.S and build a city with traffic like in Singapore and in Europe. More cars mean more money for the auto companies right but what we really need in Lagos is sustainable transportation. Expand the BRT service. Introduce public transit. Fund mass commuter traffic to the island. You can achieve all this with that kind of money. Another bridge will soon get filled up with more cars and trust me the traffic never ends. Soon some Lagosians will purchase self driving cars and it will make the traffic even way worse in 10 to 15 years time. You think it's impossible? Just wait and see. Nigerians like Ego trips.

I'd add this picture to prove my point that a city as dense as Lagos does not need another 3rd mainland bridge. This is just and avenue to...... you know the rest.

3 Likes

Re: 800 Houses To Go As Lagos Proposes $2.2 Billon For 4th Mainland Bridge by ariesbull: 1:00am On Sep 30, 2020
Too expensive..
Re: 800 Houses To Go As Lagos Proposes $2.2 Billon For 4th Mainland Bridge by COMPAQ(m): 1:08am On Sep 30, 2020
Omooba77:

Any right thinking Government will look at the option of rail lines...
It still beat my imaginations that LASG is not thinking of rail from Mainland to Island, Lekki, Epe. For Lagos to be like Dubai, it MUST have rail option!

Very valid point. Mass transit via rail is perhaps more of a priority for Lagos that 4th mainland bridge. We can't design Lagos around driving alone.

How about completing the satellite to Marina rail? How about completing the Red rail line from marina to berger? How about completing the badagry expressway. Even a rail line from Marina past VI, Oniru and on to Dangote refinery would be brilliant.
Re: 800 Houses To Go As Lagos Proposes $2.2 Billon For 4th Mainland Bridge by olaremint(m): 1:11am On Sep 30, 2020
LAGOS no be Forest (Edo). Their eyes will soon clear. People that refuse to be liberated.
Re: 800 Houses To Go As Lagos Proposes $2.2 Billon For 4th Mainland Bridge by deomelo: 1:16am On Sep 30, 2020
Originalsly:

.....and when the private investors hammer you with tolls do you really think you can afford it?... how long will they be waiting to recoup their investment? Weren't we shouting good development ... electricity in the hands of private investors?... and we're now wailing as they keep hammering us with more and more tariff?.... and they didn't even invest half billion?

@ topic...... large cities.... with good road infrastructure and management are trying to keep traffic out of the city.... but here we are... with poor city road infrastructure ... maintenance and management..... ready to burden over burdened residents with 2 billion dollars for a bridge to bring more traffic into gridlocked Lagos.... and the residents are applauding this as a great move. Why not mass transit? One other idiot grandiose Governor was shouting cable cars as mass transit... and we applauded. Something is wrong with us.

Gridlock is the effect of less in and out points out of the cities,, like too many vehicular traffic heading to the same exit and entry points within the cities, the 4th MB os designed to take away heavy traffic from the other entry and exit points.

The 4th MB means removal or diversion of tens of thousands of cars and other vehicular traffic per day away from Ikorodu road and other city roads, this takes pressure of the main and inner city roads.

I don't get how it's possible to criticize and lay blames for horrible traffic and gridlock while at the same time attacking and criticizing sane and rational solutions put in place to address the same thing you are criticizing?

What they are proposing and what they are trying to address are basic solutions and common sense, it's not rocket science.

I think many of you are either confused or just criticizing just to hear yourself talk, I just don't get it.
Re: 800 Houses To Go As Lagos Proposes $2.2 Billon For 4th Mainland Bridge by Originalsly: 1:35am On Sep 30, 2020
deomelo:

Gridlock is the effect of less in and out points out of the cities,, like too many vehicular traffic heading to the same exit and entry points within the cities, the 4th MB os designed to take away heavy traffic from the other entry and exit points.

The 4th MB means removal or diversion of tens of thousands of cars and other vehicular traffic per day away from Ikorodu road and other city roads, this takes pressure of the main and inner city roads.

I don't get how it's possible to criticize and lay blames for horrible traffic and gridlock while at the same time attacking and criticizing sane and rational solutions put in place to address the same thing you are criticizing?

What they are proposing and what they are trying to address are basic solutions and common sense, it's not rocket science.

I think many of you are either confused or just criticizing just to hear yourself talk, I just don't get it.

You speak as though it is necessary for the traffic to enter the city. How will another bridge reduce congestion in the city? I guess common sense is what city planners in developed countries don't have... the reason they emphasize mass transit and not more bridges.

2 Likes

Re: 800 Houses To Go As Lagos Proposes $2.2 Billon For 4th Mainland Bridge by deomelo: 2:09am On Sep 30, 2020
Originalsly:

You speak as though it is necessary for the traffic to enter the city. How will another bridge reduce congestion in the city? I guess common sense is what city planners in developed countries don't have... the reason they emphasize mass transit and not more bridges.

Inner City congestion is largely due to vehicular traffic leaving and entering the city, not from within and if you remove the traffic heading to the entry and exit points aka the bridges, you reduce inner city congestion, it means less mixture of people going from point A to point B within the city and the traffic trying to get out of the city.

Now look at the 3rd MB or folks leaving the island and heading to maybe Yaba, Ebute Meta, Palmgrove, Ilupeju, Anthony, Ikeja, Mile 12, Sagamu, Ijebu Ode and so on, they all have to first share the 3r MB and tie up all the roads from Ebute Meta to Yaba, Fadeyi, Maryland and even all the way to Ikorodu, but with the 4th MB, you seperate them all, the folks heading to Ikorodu axis, Ijede, Shagamu, Ijebu ode and so on can just get on the 4th MB and leave the 3rd MB for the folks heading to Yaba, Ebute Meta, Palmgrove, Ilupeju, Anthony, Ikeja other parts of Lagos.

You reduce inner city traffic when you have multiple entry and exit points.

What I think you are concerned about has nothing to do with 4th MB, it's more about people living in congested human areas, overpopulation and so on, you can not build enough roads to address overpopulation and people living in densely populated areas.

LASG can not keep up with population pressure on infrastructures and $3-4 Billion budget for more than 20 million people and several thousands crossing into Lagos everyday is not and never going to be enough.

If you are going to talk about vehicular congestion, you must also address and talk about human congestion that the state can not keep up with no matter what.
Re: 800 Houses To Go As Lagos Proposes $2.2 Billon For 4th Mainland Bridge by adeoba2008(m): 2:29am On Sep 30, 2020
naija4life247:

Go back to your village
I second the motion .

1 Like

Re: 800 Houses To Go As Lagos Proposes $2.2 Billon For 4th Mainland Bridge by ezekins: 2:37am On Sep 30, 2020
naija4life247:

Go back to your village
Lagos is it your village? Every yoruba is claiming lagosian. Mere settlers. History does not lie

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 800 Houses To Go As Lagos Proposes $2.2 Billon For 4th Mainland Bridge by anonimi: 2:38am On Sep 30, 2020
Enudapan:
Nah eh! No qualms
Audio
How many times are we gonna hear this

Just like the repeated lies on the light rail that they have claimed billions of dollars spent, including a World Bank loan.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2135824_image_jpeg9f360c5ab7736510df54c882e9dbf188

TTC in talks to sell old trains to Lagos. Are they safe enough?
AUGUST 10, 2011

As Toronto trainspotters gleefully take maiden rides on the TTC's Rocket, commuters in Lagos, Nigeria may be about to get some new trains of their own. Our old ones.

A TTC spokesperson has confirmed that the commission is negotiating with a private group to sell up to 260 used train cars to the West African megacity's new transit project.

"I can confirm that the TTC is in discussion with a third party that wants to purchase trains for Lagos," said commission spokesperson Brad Ross. "Over a period of time, they will be taken out of service and then transported over to Nigeria."

The cars being considered for sale are the TTC's old H-5 and H-6 models, which will be decommissioned as the TTC rolls out its new fleet of Rockets. Ross predicts the earliest they could be shipped to Nigeria is sometime in 2012.

Traffic snarls are already a major economic problem in the Nigerian capital, a booming city that will reach an estimated population of 25 million by 2015. A new above-ground rail system designed to carry 1.5 million people a day has already broken ground, and Lagos Governor Babtunde Fashola has said it "will be the most multi-dimensional and most impactful" of the government's efforts to reduce traffic congestion.

Fashola visited Toronto earlier this year to inspect the TTC trains.

The Lagos deal would be the first of its kind for the TTC. Decommissioned cars are usually sold for scrap metal and can fetch up to $1,500 dollar each. While Ross declined to discuss specific figures, he says the sticker price for Lagos is "significantly more" than scrap prices, putting the potential profits to the TTC in the millions of dollars.

It is not unusual for technology from western nations to end up in poorer countries. Marketplaces in Africa and Asia are flooded with North American clothes, computers, and even cars, but the purchase of larger technology like trains is rarer.

The cars will have to be significantly refurbished to fit existing infrastructure in Lagos, and some Nigerian media reports have lamented that the government appears to have settled on "tokundo," or used, trains instead of brand new vehicles.

Although half the cars are more than 30 years old, Ross is adamant they are perfectly safe and are only being decommissioned for capacity reasons. But he also admitted the TTC is not required to make sure the cars meet any safety standards before selling them.

"Once sold, it's up to the new operator to ensure they are in good working order," he said. "They do need to be maintained much more frequently than the new trains, simply because of their age. At some point they will run out their useful life."

Murtaza Haider, director of the Institute of Housing and Mobility at Ryerson University, said the age of the cars is definitely a cause for concern.

"We should be ensuring that there is some service life left in these vehicles and we're not going to be playing havoc with the lives of those who would ride these vehicles," Haider said. "There's metal fatigue, and that metal fatigue could result in dangerous conditions. I would be paying a close watch on this for the next ten years to see how many accidents do happen in Lagos."

He also warned that while rail systems are glamorous as far as transit infrastructure goes, they are not always as effective at reducing congestion as other options. Nevertheless, new rail systems are frequently preferred because governments can take advantage of kickbacks from large contracts.

According to media reports, the cost estimates for the Lagos rail project have varied wildly from $1.2 billion to $30 billion. In 2010, a Nigerian government watchdog accused Fashola's government of widespread corruption.

"More often than not, politicians favour rail transit because it is more expensive," Haider said. "It's almost useless in some cases, and less productive in most cases, than a bus system. But you can't buy busses for $30 billion. You can inflate prices and make a lot of money buying a rail system."

ojuoluwani:
LAGOS State Governor, Babatunde Fashola, yesterday, gave a breakdown of how his administration expended the N160 billion World Bank loan it acquired, saying the state maintained a healthy debt profile.

Fashoa, who spoke during his commemoration of 2,700 days in office and achievements in the last 100 days, in Alausa, Ikeja, said long overdue refund would go a long way in reducing the debt profile of the State, which he said the Federal Government recently published to mislead the public.

He said, “Recently, our political adversaries issued statements that we have borrowed N160 billion. What they have not told you is what we are doing with the money.”

Enumerating his government’s activities within the period under consideration he said; “In the last 100 days, we have commenced work on providing street lighting on the Muritala Muhammed Way in Yaba.

This is 10 kilometres of public lighting which will be completed by the end of this month. On Eko Bridge, Carter Bridge, Ikorodu Road, Lekki-Epe Expressway and every street and highway where there is street lighting in Lagos, it is the Lagos State Government that supplied the poles, the bulbs, the diesel and the maintenance.

“The only major highway we are not managing for street lights is the 3rd Mainland Bridge.

Fire engines, to secure lives, rail transport from Okokomaiko to Marina, with four stations of eight kilometres completed, and work heading to Marina, with piles appearing near the Eko Bridge every day are the places your Government is spending money. The expansion of the Lagos Badagry Expressway to a 10-lane highway is another place where your Government is spending money.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/10/lagos-spent-n160-bn-world-bank-loan-fashola/

Lagos light rail’ll be ready in June – Fashola
January 9, 2013

The Lagos State Governor Babatunde Fashola on Tuesday said the first phase of the state Blue Light Rail project would be completed by June this year(2013).

He expressed confidence that Lagosians would start enjoying the services of the rail project immediately.

The first phase would run from Marina and terminated at Okokomaiko area in Ojo Local Government.

Fashola spoke during an inspection of ongoing projects in the state which took him and his cabinet members to Orile-Iganmu, Alimosho and Ejigbo areas among others to assess the level of works being done by contractors.

The governor, who inaugurated the trackwork of the blue light rail at Alaba Suru, Coker-Agunda Local Council Development Area, said the level of work on the road and those of the National Theatre and Alaba-Mile 2 rail stations, would ensure early completion

He said, “In order to finish the project, the contractor did not go on vacation during the festive period. This will ensure that the project is delivered on time for the use of Lagosians.

“The first section of this rail, which started from National Theatre, Orile-Iganmu to Mile 2 Bus Stop, would be fully completed with the tracks laid.

“Construction work will continue on the project from Orile-Iganmu to Marina, the expansion work on the road from Mile 2 to Okokomaiko will also be intensified.

“This is what we do with the loan collected by the government. We don’t use our loan to pay salaries and other recurrent expenditure, what we do with our loan is to provide capital projects that would serve the residents.

“When the project is completed, the state would be at par with other major cities of the world.”

http://www.punchng.com/news/lagos-light-railll-be-ready-in-june-fashola/

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Tinubu Asks Security Agencies To Caution Obi Over Inciting Comments / Jega And APC Fault Fani-kayode’s Pdp’s Victory Claim / Boko Haram Beheads Lawan Andimi, Rejects N50 Million Ransom Offer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.