Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,630 members, 7,816,598 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:42 PM

Full Text Of President Buhari's Independence Day Speech. - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Full Text Of President Buhari's Independence Day Speech. (28382 Views)

20 Lies From General Buhari’s Independence Day Broadcast, By Reno Omokri / President Buhari’s Independence Day Speech To Nigerians "FULL TRANSCRIPT" / Reno Omokri Debunks Buhari's Independence Day Speech (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Full Text Of President Buhari's Independence Day Speech. by Bullet01(f): 8:07am On Oct 01, 2020
He compared oil prices with the likes of Chad, Ghana, Saudi and others but he forgot to compare minimum wages in those countries with ours. Baba you are not doing well sir.

What a non sense comparison!

2 Likes

Re: Full Text Of President Buhari's Independence Day Speech. by Jack005(m): 8:10am On Oct 01, 2020
Abdulkatcha:
HAPPY INDEPENDENT MY DEAR COUNTRY GOD BLESS PMB GOD BLESS NIGERIA
Because Nigeria favours Abokis abi.. Thunder scatter Buhari and God can never bless a cursed country like Nigeria.
Re: Full Text Of President Buhari's Independence Day Speech. by odogwueast: 8:12am On Oct 01, 2020
I know is today our 60 years but nothing to be celebrate
Re: Full Text Of President Buhari's Independence Day Speech. by Ishilove: 8:18am On Oct 01, 2020
naptu2:

The full speech is on the first page (it's in two posts).
When did the president make this speech? Isn't it supposed to be a live broadcast? I remember when Abacha used to dazzle us with his heavily accented Hausa English. My dad would roar each time he said 'fedeeral gamant'.
Re: Full Text Of President Buhari's Independence Day Speech. by legaspi: 8:23am On Oct 01, 2020
This country is just dwindling like wave. I got nothing to celebrate
Re: Full Text Of President Buhari's Independence Day Speech. by Misterdhee1(m): 8:24am On Oct 01, 2020
But really why can't Buhari organize a live broadcast and discuss all the pertinent issues? At least, today being Nigeria's independence day is a great opportunity for hin to allay certain fears and let the people know what to expect from his administration. Baba is just acting like he's doing Nigeria a favor by even showing on TV. O gaa o
Re: Full Text Of President Buhari's Independence Day Speech. by Skymason20(m): 8:29am On Oct 01, 2020
I pray for we all live to see a better nigeria .. God bless the Good people of the nation
Re: Full Text Of President Buhari's Independence Day Speech. by naptu2: 8:29am On Oct 01, 2020
Ishilove:

When did the president make this speech? Isn't it supposed to be a live broadcast? I remember when Abacha used to dazzle us with his heavily accented Hausa English. My dad would roar each time he said 'fedeeral gamant'.

It was broadcast at 7am. I created this thread when I tuned to the NTA and saw that it was being aired (I initially thought that it would be shown at 10am).
Re: Full Text Of President Buhari's Independence Day Speech. by naptu2: 8:32am On Oct 01, 2020
Ishilove:

Re whether the speech is live, read this.

naptu2:
Many Nigerians don't know anything about their country or about how government works and instead of trying to find out they just throw tantrums.

Anybody that knows anything about presidential speeches knows that they are always recorded. I figured that out during Shagari's presidency because of the transitions. I spoke to someone that worked at the NTA at the time and he said that they usually took their equipment to Dodan Barracks, recorded the speech and then returned to their station on Victoria Island before broadcasting the speech. Some of the transitions that I saw were because President Shagari often took smoking breaks while they were recording his speeches. That's the norm.

In fact, I remember that Shagari's New Year's Day and budget speeches were often broadcast around midnight on December 31st. They were obviously not broadcast live.

I noticed similar transitions in presidential speeches since then. They are not live.

Furthermore, I was shocked when that incident happened with Goodluck Jonathan's speech c2012. What shocked me was not that Sahara Reporters released the speech hours before it was read, no. What actually shocked me was the reaction of Nairalanders. Some Nairalanders acted like the government had committed a huge crime and it didn't make any sense at all.

Presidential speeches are often given to media houses hours before they are broadcast. In the case of Nigeria it was started by Chief Duro Onabule in the late 1980s.

Duro Onabule was the chief press secretary to President Babangida and he noticed a problem. At that time newspapers went to bed around 4am, while presidential speeches like the Independence Day Speech, New Year's Day speeches, etc. were usually broadcast at 7am. Therefore, the newspapers usually published Independence Day speeches on October 2nd and the speech would have been old news by that time. Chief Onabule decided to do something about it.

He approached President Babangida and convinced him to release his speeches the day before and Chief Onabule gave them to senior newspaper editors and then embargoed them. This meant that the newspapers would have the speeches ahead of time, but they won't publish it until the morning of the speech.

Some of Babangida's aides were against this move because they thought that the media would try to embarrass the government, but Chief Onabule gave Babangida his personal guarantee to President Babangida and the speeches were released ahead of time. My newspaper vendor usually arrived the house at 7am on Saturdays and public holidays and we would sit with the newspaper and read the speech at the same time that President Babangida was reading it on TV. That's the norm.

However, Sahara Reporters violated the embargo sometime in the 2010s and published President Jonathan's speech the night before he was supposed to deliver it. People read the speech on SR's website and it was basically the same speech that Jonathan read the next morning. The Jonathan Presidency stopped releasing the speeches ahead of time after that. President Buhari has resumed the practice.

These practices are not peculiar to Nigeria. The Queen's New Year's speech is usually recorded and many heads of state and government give their speeches to senior editors ahead of time so that they can write their editorials and publish them at the same time that the speech is being read. There's nothing strange about it.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Full Text Of President Buhari's Independence Day Speech. by expoll97: 8:34am On Oct 01, 2020
god bless Oduduwa nation
Re: Full Text Of President Buhari's Independence Day Speech. by damiloladuke: 8:35am On Oct 01, 2020
oj
Re: Full Text Of President Buhari's Independence Day Speech. by kmaster007: 8:49am On Oct 01, 2020
Re: Full Text Of President Buhari's Independence Day Speech. by jubilee55f: 8:55am On Oct 01, 2020
Oga Buhari, you are a president to yourself, your family and to your Fulani ethnic group. But you are definitely not a Nigerian president. Nigerians rejected you in 2019 presidential poll . But you forced yourself on this nation using the security and the judiciary as your vehicle. The implications of your disastrous government is now being felt all over the country. President my foot. Nonsense.
Re: Full Text Of President Buhari's Independence Day Speech. by Benzemma(m): 8:59am On Oct 01, 2020
naptu2:
Muhammadu Buhari @MBuhari

https://mobile.twitter.com/MBuhari/status/1311547844671803392
Nigeria is not matured enough to be independent, she still need to nurtured. At 60, Nigeria is still borrowing and you call it independent, independent of what exactly?

Re: Full Text Of President Buhari's Independence Day Speech. by Nuheights(m): 9:03am On Oct 01, 2020
In the circumstances, a responsible government must face realities and take tough decisions. Petroleum prices in Nigeria are to be adjusted....
Again? Na was oooo.
Re: Full Text Of President Buhari's Independence Day Speech. by Denique(f): 9:07am On Oct 01, 2020
StrikeBack:
I can't read this informal article

A presidential speech, informal? Hmmm angry

cheesy
Re: Full Text Of President Buhari's Independence Day Speech. by Nairastake: 9:13am On Oct 01, 2020
I was about saying this Government is growing after reading almost the whole speech without seeing a blame game. Unfortunately, I got disappointed at the tail end where the previous Government was blamed for the failure of this present Government.

Again, someone preaching seeing ourselves as Nigerians first before any other things is the same person that mebtioned to the whole world on international TV that he won't treat the people that gave him 97% of their votes the same as the people that gave him 5% of their votes.

Tell me what moral justification has one to talk about "TOGETHER" when the same person made it clear that we are not together?

Last but not the least, in trying to justify the Nigerian oil price, he asked "it makes no sense for oil price be cheaper in Nigeria than in Saudi Arabia?"

Someone should please let him know that minimum wage in Nigeria was recently fought for to get to #30,000 whereas that of Saudi Arabia is at #305,000. Meaning Nigeria's minimum wage is approximately 10% of that of Saudi Arabia.

It would make more sense for oil to sell at #16.8 per liter as that is 10% of oil price of Saudi Arabia who sells at #168 per liter.

Let me not talk about the speech preaching moving forward but yet dwelling on the past at the same time.

Still no sight for hope in this country with this Government, this speech has made it more obvious.
Re: Full Text Of President Buhari's Independence Day Speech. by wasuka14(m): 9:23am On Oct 01, 2020
All these ipob e rats will never learn in any way. Should you guys push for civil war for d second time now. Your eyes will clear.
Ogonimilitant:
God Bless Mazi Nnamdi Kanu.
He has woken up the consciousness of Nigeria.
It his style that has drawn these attention.

Let's not condemn his style but embress the message.
Buharis agenda is not for Nigeria but for the welfare of Fulanis all over the world.

How can Fulani foreigners of less than 7m be controlling and subjugating the whole of 193m people.

Go to twitter handle of Channels TV and see the polls going on, on what Nigerians want.

Nnamdi Kanu said he will use the truth to destroy Nigeria and that is what is happening. Let's not be afraid. The Fulani hegemony is about to be destroyed.

You guys would soon be free
Re: Full Text Of President Buhari's Independence Day Speech. by Nobody: 9:25am On Oct 01, 2020
Nothing hurts me much in his speech than fuel price. He compared us with Saudia,saying that they buy petrol at either 168 naira or 200+ naira. Are they using Naira as their currency?

he said it makes no sense to expect fuel price to be cheaper here than Saudia. How much is 168 Nigerian naira to Saudian Liyar?

Buhari is littrate ignorant,no more doubt.
Re: Full Text Of President Buhari's Independence Day Speech. by gabsoft: 9:26am On Oct 01, 2020
This is Nigeria @60. God bless Nigeria!
Re: Full Text Of President Buhari's Independence Day Speech. by Lovelive: 9:26am On Oct 01, 2020
Jafar1:
It's feels awkward that a president kept on avoiding live broadcast...
But why?

What is Nigeria celebrating?
Insecurity?
Corruption?
Poverty?
Unemployment?
Currency devaluation?
slow development?
Inflation?
Multiple debts?
Nepotism/Tribalism?
Incompetent leaders?
will the labour of our heroes past be in vain?
Lets hope not..

Well, at least we can still celebrate life..

We hope for better Nigeria!
God bless Nigeria!!
God bless its citizens!!!
Re: Full Text Of President Buhari's Independence Day Speech. by Nimvazsniper(m): 9:27am On Oct 01, 2020
Hi guys
Link on my bio OUT NOW �� FEMCOVER OUT NOW HELP WATCH, SHARE TAG @davidoofficial ���

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffEaO668MQU
Re: Full Text Of President Buhari's Independence Day Speech. by gurusprout: 9:29am On Oct 01, 2020
minasota:
Finally the've recorded a video for the gullible Nigerians.
They couldn't bring out the imposter to the Eagles square to give
live speech....... See our president comparing Nigeria with Chad this country is finished

Did he not also compare it to Saudi? You people also wailed to that.
Re: Full Text Of President Buhari's Independence Day Speech. by Nobody: 9:40am On Oct 01, 2020
gurusprout:

Did he not also compare it to Saudi? You people also wailed to that.

His comparison to Chad as it came in that position during his speech was uncalled for. And his final comparison to Saudia is a clear lie to deceive Ignorants. Saudians buy petrol with liyar no Naira,and why shouldn't he mention Liyar? If he mentioned it,it could be les that 90 Liyar,and to Saudians it is norm.
Re: Full Text Of President Buhari's Independence Day Speech. by Gbogbowa: 9:41am On Oct 01, 2020
For those of you reading the speech pls any hope for Nigerian in the speech
Re: Full Text Of President Buhari's Independence Day Speech. by geoffez: 9:42am On Oct 01, 2020
Wanted to read this list full but sleep no allow me bcs bubu have nothing up there to tell us rather than protect the herdsman ravaging your land.
Abeg,I'm even shocked to read a line that says, "I is ven appreciating you Nigerians".
But we dey appreciating bubu soo? This country is gone with such a leader up there,we are back to military government.Just complete the sell of Nigeria to china and share the money.if e reach my end I go collect,if not,I go endure.God judge our leaders and there family no pity again
Re: Full Text Of President Buhari's Independence Day Speech. by gurusprout: 9:42am On Oct 01, 2020
Khaleepha5681:

His comparison to Chad as it came in that position during his speech was uncalled for. And his final comparison to Saudia is a clear lie to deceive Ignorants. Saudians buy petrol with liyar no Naira,and why shouldn't he mention Liyar? If he mentioned it,it could be les that 90 Liyar,and to Saudians it is norm.
You're inconsistent.
Re: Full Text Of President Buhari's Independence Day Speech. by Edudevine82: 9:47am On Oct 01, 2020
Why was this one not closed?
Re: Full Text Of President Buhari's Independence Day Speech. by Nobody: 10:03am On Oct 01, 2020
gurusprout:

You're inconsistent.

Inconsitent like your ignorant president ko mallam?

Didn't he lead protest for hike in fule price before?

You're the problem of this country da gaske. And you'll regret verey soon wawaye kawai.
Re: Full Text Of President Buhari's Independence Day Speech. by sirwhyteB(m): 10:26am On Oct 01, 2020
So funny
My people what did they say that they are celebrating?
At 60 there's no Standard Sector
Yet they're proudly celebrating
I think it's only a fool that will keep celebrating his downfall yearly.
"For a man to repeatedly hit his leg on a particular stump of a tree, is either that man is blind or stupid"
For complete 60 years we are UNITED and have absolutely achieved nothing, I think it's the right time for us to try DIVISION because i think it's the way for our great liberation.
For those celebrating Nigeria I wish you guys well.
As for me I am Sitting down at home in THE LAND OF THE RISING SUN.
#Therewasacountry
Re: Full Text Of President Buhari's Independence Day Speech. by jimter44(m): 10:37am On Oct 01, 2020
"This positive trajectory continued with a return to democratic government which was truncated by another round of military rule""

.......by (me for) another round of military rule...

I know that there are divisions in this country, from 29th May, 2015, to date our country has not divided like. This is because of killings, lopsided appointments, inflation, unemployment and other forms of crimes.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Proposed Immunity For Senate President, Speaker Etal: Dead On Arrival (DOA) / Avoid The Jonathan Error, Sanusi To Buhari / Nuhu Ribadu: No Oil Billionaire Since Buhari Became Petroleum Minister

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.