Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,772 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:12 AM

Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? (29199 Views)

Bode Thomas: How Nigerian Lawyer Died Mysteriously After Insulting Alaafin / King Onwa 'Eze Awo' Disgraced For Insulting Imo King Online. Photos/Videos / Bode Thomas Died Of Barking After Insulting Alaafin Of Oyo. How True? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by Friend22(m): 8:12pm On Oct 05, 2020
QuinieR:

Okay my boy cool
I ain't no boy ma'am!

Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by QuinieR(f): 9:44pm On Oct 05, 2020
Friend22:

I ain't no boy ma'am!
Story for the gods

Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by Godmademan(m): 9:53pm On Oct 05, 2020
My Own question is WHY DO NIGERIAN ADULTS DETEST BEING GREETED 'GOOD MORNING'? I feel it's even more than a greeting...It's a prayer sort of.

The Urhobos will take nothing aside 'migwo' from you, the Isokos 'digwo', Abbots Manba/Mane, Kwales 'Dehle', Esans 'Bokyan', Bonus 'Ko'
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by Nobody: 10:25pm On Oct 05, 2020
A child asking an adult how are you?if they say bad,what can you do for them?

Don’t ask someone how they are ,if you know that you can’t solve their problems.

My two cents.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by Nobody: 12:00am On Oct 06, 2020
QuinieR:

Sho ya werey nii

When will pple start minding their business bayii angry

You no get chill grin
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by ume1000: 1:23am On Oct 06, 2020
BarrElChapo:

If you put sir will it make it better ? If no pls kindly tell how inquire about an elder's well being without using how are you ?
most younger person ask such question to provoke their elders intentionally

They see such as been better off than you

None of those in support of the saying would say such to an elder they consider above their status

Am not sure a nineteen year old American could say such a word to Donald Trump without the sir/ma suffix

Or a British to the queen

Most Nigerians say such a word to an elderly person when the greeting is done grudgingly

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by Bianda24: 4:50am On Oct 06, 2020
Well, "how are you" shouldn't be offensive when you use it to address an elder particularly when you address him or her cautiously, politely and respectfully. "How are you sir/ma" won't bring a fuss.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by Friend22(m): 6:38am On Oct 06, 2020
QuinieR:

Story for the gods

Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by maasoap(m): 6:48am On Oct 06, 2020
uboma:

There is nothing wrong asking someone who is older, 'how are you?', 'how is life treating you?'.

I ask people older than me same. If you feel offended, its your headache, not mine.

No sir or ma added? Definitely, you're lying. May be you're the one even making the first move to shake their hands as well? Lol.
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by AnanseK(m): 6:55am On Oct 06, 2020
dorin27:
How was your night? grin

Oh shut up!! kiss

You’re looking for my trouble shocked
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by KingAzubuike(f): 7:11am On Oct 06, 2020
It's a Nigerian mentality anyways. Most especially when you make the statement in a low commanding tone. Nigerians believe it's a demeaning question. They believe it's a question that shows seniority in age , status and class. They believe it's a question that only an older person should ask a younger one.
Very awkward mentality.
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by googi: 5:33pm On Oct 06, 2020
So Nigerian mentality, eh? Na which mentality be your own.

Look, there is an Igbo saying that even when age is respected, achievement is revered. There should be no conflict between the two.

KingAzubuike:
It's a Nigerian mentality anyways. Most especially when you make the statement in a low commanding tone. Nigerians believe it's a demeaning question. They believe it's a question that shows seniority in age , status and class. They believe it's a question that only an older person should ask a younger one.
Very awkward mentality.
kiss
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by hstar: 2:47am On Oct 07, 2020
Ok
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by alexisbaby: 6:23pm On Oct 15, 2020
Theslumflower:
I don't know about "how are you" but I've heard a few people say so about "how was your night" lol

Most married people find it offensive. But I think people are just too sensitive these days, these things are too flimsy to trigger an angry reaction.

When you see things as what they are without reading unnecessary meanings to it, then you will be fine.
How was your night, is a tad offensive because it actually means you want to know what the person did in his bedroom at night. It's not right as much as you are trying to put in the context of a greeting, unfortunately it's wrong.

There is no greeting like how was your night.

It's like when people ask, ' borrow me instead of lend me... Even if you want to use the word borrow it should be ' can I borrow a pen from you?'.

Again I say there is no greeting like how was your night.
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by alexisbaby: 6:29pm On Oct 15, 2020
demoBaba:
That's true, there's different between

1. How are you

2. How are you sir/ma

I think it's disrespect to ask your senior one .....How are you

As a yoruba man
These are all borrowed English culture of greeting, I think it's more appropriate to say how do you do.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Get To Know The Nok Culture, Nigeria’s Oldest Known Civilization (pics) / Ondo Monarch, Oba Oloyede Adeyeoba Akinghare II Graduates From Secondary School / Soninke (serahule) People And Ghana Empire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.