Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,724 members, 7,816,978 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:58 PM

Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? (29183 Views)

Bode Thomas: How Nigerian Lawyer Died Mysteriously After Insulting Alaafin / King Onwa 'Eze Awo' Disgraced For Insulting Imo King Online. Photos/Videos / Bode Thomas Died Of Barking After Insulting Alaafin Of Oyo. How True? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by BornnAgainChild(f): 2:31pm On Oct 05, 2020
ejanla077:

So wats wrong with mama how u dey

When a person working under you more like a staff says that to you in the morning instead of a Goodmorning, then you would sure know what is wrong with that undecided
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by Diesel1(m): 2:40pm On Oct 05, 2020
Iyoocartel:
Iyooooooo cartel

Adults with low self esteem precisely.
For ogbe even some broke lame ass adults find how va Insulting, they always feel they should be the one to ask you how va and you tell them how you are.

Those mugus don't know it's money that's seniority cool
Are you jeriq?
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by benqo01(m): 2:42pm On Oct 05, 2020
fairheart:

How many adults do you have in your circle? How many of these told you they feel belittled and disrespected when you ask: How are you?
Your conclusion is fictitious.
It is an honour when you ask a fellow human being that question. If any of the adult in your circle have felt and told you they feel disrespected, then they are not adult and matured at all. And you must reshufle your circle and walk with enlightened and honourable people!
Matured people ask themselves this question all the time. So if you ask me: How are you? I'd typically tell you I am doing fabulous! I am doing great! All is well. It's an honour to see someone check on me in a selfish world.

Some Nigerians are just arrogant.

You really make sense...i find it very funny when people find it very offensive.......they need a rethink

1 Like

Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by Nobody: 2:42pm On Oct 05, 2020
Fucsheetup:
Imagine this mentality. Are you a god and is the kid a goat? Isn’t he a human being? Una Dey chop respect?
i am voicing out the typical african mentality.OP that is saying why elderly adults demand respect i bet if a 10 yr old child asked him how is he and demand for a handshake op go give am a dirty slap cheesy
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by BornOnTuesday(m): 2:45pm On Oct 05, 2020
mikezuruki:
I have noticed that adults in this part of the world perceive that to be insult.

They feel belittled and disrespected.

Why?

I am indifferent about this but I think it sometimes has to do with the manner in which the person who does the asking does it.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by BarrElChapo(m): 2:59pm On Oct 05, 2020
BornnAgainChild:

Lol...I dey kampe

So where are we having dinner

Where's your favorite place milady ? wink
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by condralbedez: 3:39pm On Oct 05, 2020
Iyoocartel:
Iyooooooo cartel
Nwa ogbe....042 making sense like die!!
iyooooooo cartel
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by erty6334(m): 3:45pm On Oct 05, 2020
I remembered my sister called and my wife said how are you to her the next was insult upon insult on my wife.
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by Zivaharry(m): 4:24pm On Oct 05, 2020
Iyoocartel:
Iyooooooo cartel

Adults with low self esteem precisely.
For ogbe even some broke lame ass adults find how va Insulting, they always feel they should be the one to ask you how va and you tell them how you are.

Those mugus don't know it's money that's seniority cool
iyoooooo cartel kee u there.
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by Muftimenk: 4:29pm On Oct 05, 2020
hardon1:
Its a cultural thing. And it doesn't go down well expecially when coming from a much younger person to an elderly. Its is believed such term should be used within persons of same age bracket or range.

Like someone commented, simply adding sir changes every thing.

Here in Nigeria, good morning sir/ma or good morning papa this or mama that is what is perceived OK..

Even a younger person calling a much older one by his/her first name without a sir or ma prefix is considered an insult(for me I like this one sha). That's why those days in primary and sec school... We sometimes fight when a fellow classmate calls our father's name.

Its a part of what our culture perceive as respect. And to me I don't see any problem with it. It is not a dehumanizing element of our culture like female circumcision, child marriage, widowhood subjugation etc that we need worry about and flush out
ur siggy weak me shocked
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by QuinieR(f): 4:44pm On Oct 05, 2020
Friend22:

She is very right.
She is not your mate.
This borrowed mentality you young folks carry around will eventually ruin you.
I know most of you affirming this rubbish are still young or trying to appear woke when you are not.

If any young girl tries that thing with me,I go match her belle.
All this shalaye is not needed under my post eehnnn Mr old man angry

Ominiknowest undecided
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by Friend22(m): 4:52pm On Oct 05, 2020
QuinieR:

All this shalaye is not needed under my post eehnnn Mr old man angry

Ominiknowest undecided

cheesy grin grin...
Old madam...it's needed jare my sister.
I just taya for some of una
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by bodee(m): 4:55pm On Oct 05, 2020
uboma:

There is nothing wrong asking someone who is older, 'how are you?', 'how is life treating you?'.

I ask people older than me same. If you feel offended, its your headache, not mine.
change that mentality, it's simply not good. As far as some people or most people find it insultive, then there's a need for change. Someone on this platform said 'how are you' is not greeting.

Personally, I think it's awkward greeting elderly ones with 'how are you'

I treat others just as I want others to treat me. I can't imagine a 10 or 15 years old telling me 'how are you' instead of 'good morning/afternoon'
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by capnies: 4:59pm On Oct 05, 2020
mikezuruki:
I have noticed that adults in this part of the world perceive that to be insult.

Why?

If an adult is sick you can ask how are you today sir; but not a healthy looking adult ie your senior what do you expect him to answer you, such questions it is believed are asked by someone who can solve your problems.
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by EgusiShankly: 5:01pm On Oct 05, 2020
Na pride de cos am...
U ask such question, I tell you I am fine.
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by bodee(m): 5:03pm On Oct 05, 2020
edoairways:

Not all elders react or behave that way, those who do, do so out of insecurity.
Wrong! not out of insecurity or lack of money... It's simply awkward addressing an elderly person in such manner. There's a way I address my younger ones, there's a way I address my mate and of course, there should be a way I should address elderly ones in the society.

Can you address your dad the same way you address your siblings or children far younger than you?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by bodee(m): 5:06pm On Oct 05, 2020
EgusiShankly:
Na pride de cos am...

U ask such question, I tell you I am fine.
It's not pride! Think and think on this thing. 'How are you' should be addressed to kids
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by 0llamide: 5:21pm On Oct 05, 2020
Kamdil:
In this part of the world it isn't polite by African tradition. You don't relate with an older person in such manner, that is lack of courtesy. It can only be proper after greeting him, and accord him that respect, then you can now say, ' how are you sir/ma'
Or how are you doing sir/ma.
Not 'how are you' like he is your mate

God bless you.
imagine a student saying "bawo ni" to their Yoruba teacher, or "how are you" to a lecturer.. abba
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by uboma(m): 5:21pm On Oct 05, 2020
bodee:
change that mentality, it's simply not good. As far as some people or most people find it insultive, then there's a need for change. Someone on this platform said 'how are you' is not greeting.

Personally, I think it's awkward greeting elderly ones with 'how are you'

I treat others just as I want others to treat me. I can't imagine a 10 or 15 years old telling me 'how are you' instead of 'good morning/afternoon'

Do not quote me out of context.

I do say, 'Good morning/afternoon' to people I meet (younger/older than me) and this is followed by, 'how are you'.

I do not need to change my style of greeting as there is nothing wrong with it.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by edoairways: 5:25pm On Oct 05, 2020
bodee:
Wrong! not out of insecurity or lack of money... [b]It's simply awkward addressing an elderly person in such manne[/b]r. There's a way I address my younger ones, there's a way I address my mate and of course, there should be a way I should address elderly ones in the society.

Can you address your dad the same way you address your siblings or children far younger than you?

It is not awkward rather it is out of pride.
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by QuinieR(f): 5:33pm On Oct 05, 2020
Friend22:

cheesy grin grin...
Old madam...it's needed jare my sister.
I just taya for some of una

Okay my boy cool

Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by fabulous85: 5:42pm On Oct 05, 2020
QuinieR:
I remember saying it to one of my street aunty last week..she saw me and called my name,I replied her Good morning aunty,how are you..
Aunty change it for me immediately telling me she is not my mate blablabla..I was shocked undecided

Low mentality....Tueh angry
your aunty is right, she is not your mate, nothing like low mentality na you no get sense.
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by QuinieR(f): 5:45pm On Oct 05, 2020
fabulous85:
your aunty is right, she is not your mate, nothing like low mentality na you no get sense.

Sho ya werey nii

When will pple start minding their business bayii angry
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by chival(f): 6:06pm On Oct 05, 2020
mikezuruki:

Why?
Beats me. I once got into an altercation with a colleague who claimed I was in the habit of insulting him every morning by asking him that question. I was so shocked I went round the office asking people if they feel that question is belittling or insulting. To my surprise, about 70% of them claimed it was. It's one of those Nigerian things.
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by Ginomel(m): 6:22pm On Oct 05, 2020
uchman:
My wife use to ask me that and it's always heavy in my mouth to answer...

I don't see anything wrong with your wife asking you "How are you " .That's the most sincere care you could get from someone close and equal.

Unless the husband has a very low self esteem or not in charge at home, that's when it would be a concern to you.

However, it should be a no no from any lady or anybody outside .

Forget the nonsense people are saying. Most of the "how are you "are not sincere.Its either the fellow wants to show you superiority or stupid and unnecessary dominance.

He doesn't care about your well being he just wanted to foolishly proud to you.
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by Nobody: 6:26pm On Oct 05, 2020
chival:

Beats me. I once got into an altercation with a colleague who claimed I was in the habit of insulting him every morning by asking him that question. I was so shocked I went round the office asking people if they feel that question is belittling or insulting. To my surprise, about 70% of them claimed it was. It's one of those Nigerian things.

Worse they didn't say anything before

1 Like

Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by Oselu28(f): 6:41pm On Oct 05, 2020
How are you is okay..
*How are you feeling is the worst
*What's going on with you
*How's life treating you

Yanmayanma question
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by edoairways: 6:48pm On Oct 05, 2020
bodee:
Wrong! not out of insecurity or lack of money... It's simply awkward addressing an elderly person in such manner. There's a way I address my younger ones, there's a way I address my mate and of course, there should be a way I should address elderly ones in the society.

It isn't awkward. The words are clear to everyone but pride and ego wouldn't let many think. And yes I do ask my daddy how are you, he doesn't take offense
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by Ginomel(m): 6:53pm On Oct 05, 2020
ejanla077:

So wats wrong with mama how u dey
Hey, How are you? How you dey?
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by bolajinoni1(m): 7:07pm On Oct 05, 2020
Fucsheetup:
Give one cogent, reasonable reason apart from the foolish god complex African adults have why ‘How are you?’ Is Disrespect?
have give you my point weather you take it or leave it, that my opinion
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by bejeria101(m): 7:28pm On Oct 05, 2020
That's not the correct one, na that are you ok! That thing is damn annoying.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Do Igbo's Have Mixed Ancestry / This White Man Speaks Edo, Benin Language But Has Never Been To Nigeria (Video) / Get To Know The Nok Culture, Nigeria’s Oldest Known Civilization (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.