Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,321 members, 7,811,948 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:53 AM

Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? (29164 Views)

Bode Thomas: How Nigerian Lawyer Died Mysteriously After Insulting Alaafin / King Onwa 'Eze Awo' Disgraced For Insulting Imo King Online. Photos/Videos / Bode Thomas Died Of Barking After Insulting Alaafin Of Oyo. How True? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by Enudapan: 10:25am On Oct 05, 2020
Nah eh! No qualms
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by hotplate: 10:26am On Oct 05, 2020
w
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by afinotanjnr(m): 10:26am On Oct 05, 2020
How are you doing is more better to how are you......
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by Nemesis0147(m): 10:26am On Oct 05, 2020
Iyoocartel:

Iyooooooo cartel

where in Enugu are you make we connect my guy
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by hotplate: 10:27am On Oct 05, 2020
because they feel if dey tell u their problem you cant help them

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by cluewebhost(m): 10:28am On Oct 05, 2020
Everybody is stressed and looking for who to take it out on it's not their fault

1 Like

Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by captaininiobong(m): 10:28am On Oct 05, 2020
ignorance is the reason
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by fairheart(m): 10:29am On Oct 05, 2020
mikezuruki:
I have noticed that adults in this part of the world perceive that to be insult.

They feel belittled and disrespected.

Why?

How many adults do you have in your circle? How many of these told you they feel belittled and disrespected when you ask: How are you?
Your conclusion is fictitious.
It is an honour when you ask a fellow human being that question. If any of the adult in your circle have felt and told you they feel disrespected, then they are not adult and matured at all. And you must reshufle your circle and walk with enlightened and honourable people!
Matured people ask themselves this question all the time. So if you ask me: How are you? I'd typically tell you I am doing fabulous! I am doing great! All is well. It's an honour to see someone check on me in a selfish world.

Some Nigerians are just arrogant.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by ITbomb(m): 10:29am On Oct 05, 2020
But when they reach abroad, a small boy will hey them and they will be smiling like mumu

In Nigeria, "how are you" sounds like "how are you coping with life, if you have any issue, let me know so that I can help you"

And that is pretty insulting

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by AnanseK(m): 10:30am On Oct 05, 2020
Theslumflower:
I don't know about "how are you" but I've heard a few people say so about "how was your night" lol

Most married people find it offensive. But I think people are just too sensitive these days, these things are too flimsy to trigger an angry reaction.

When you see things as what they are without reading unnecessary meanings to it, then you will be fine.

“How was your night “ is not and English greeting and honestly I don’t know how to answer that silly greeting. My night was great? My night was busy? My night was bad? I just don’t know undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by cricifixo: 10:30am On Oct 05, 2020
nwanne how ogbe na?
Iyoocartel:

Iyooooooo cartel

Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by seyigiggle: 10:30am On Oct 05, 2020
because it rings in the p.ssy and they do not know the depth.

Vyzz:
Who the hel finds "How are u" disrespectful?

My question is why do girls find it difficult to reply to #how far?"

1 Like

Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by dorin27(f): 10:31am On Oct 05, 2020
People really dey vex for this country sha...I don't see anything wrong with the question.
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by geesilver(m): 10:31am On Oct 05, 2020
to an ordinary African man saying how are you may be insultive but when you add sir. still commands some respect.....

for this part of the world, we value our culture more than anything else. talking to an elder at least there must be traces of respect in your choice of words or language if you really want to be taken seriously. and with " sir or ma" added before or after your statement may commands people's attention than just saying it casually

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by maasoap(m): 10:31am On Oct 05, 2020
uboma:
I have observed same from some persons as well.

These category of persons are insecure and less exposed.

Our culture is different, it has nothing to do with exposure and insecurity. You can't ask ask your elder brother or your elder brother's friend "how are you". That's not our culture, it's not who we are. Simple

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by SirMichael1: 10:31am On Oct 05, 2020
Lol. This is so me. I prefer 'how are you doing?' than blurting out, 'how are you?'. I just feel the latter is condescending.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by chaloskyx: 10:31am On Oct 05, 2020
DO ADULTS IN THIS PART OF THE COUNTRY HAVE COMMON SENSE? POLITICIANS RUIN THE COUNTRY THEY WONT GET ANGRY OR FIGHT FOR THAT ON BUT IF SOMEONE SHOULD ASK THEM HOW ARE YOU THEY ARE READY TO FIGHT

1 Like

Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by Nobody: 10:31am On Oct 05, 2020
Kamdil:
In this part of the world it isn't polite by African tradition. You don't relate with an older person in such manner, that is lack of courtesy. It can only be proper after greeting him, and accord him that respect, then you can now say, ' how are you sir/ma'
Or how are you doing sir/ma.
Not 'how are you' like he is you mate
Fact
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by dorin27(f): 10:32am On Oct 05, 2020
AnanseK:

“How was your night “ is not and English greeting and honestly I don’t know how to answer that silly greeting. My night was great? My night was busy? My night was bad? I just don’t know undecided
How was your night? grin
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by AbuAeesha: 10:32am On Oct 05, 2020
if u meet an elder, greeting is enough, good morning... why must you ask how are you

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by techmo(m): 10:32am On Oct 05, 2020
cool

Na proud unexposed people dey take awayu as insult

I once worked for a customer who is rich and elderly, and when ever I ask him how are you sir his workers would start looking at me somehow as if I insulted their boss, however the man would simply say his mind in a jovial manner, like I asked how he was and he smiled and was telling me he isn't fine over his EPL clubs defeat and we joked

1 Like

Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by AFONAMARO: 10:33am On Oct 05, 2020
Kamdil:
In this part of the world it isn't polite by African tradition. You don't relate with an older person in such manner, that is lack of courtesy. It can only be proper after greeting him, and accord him that respect, then you can now say, ' how are you sir/ma'
Or how are you doing sir/ma.
Not 'how are you' like he is you mate

Oga shift! In fact, dress go far! Which kain yeye African respect!

Whenever i speak to my Pop's or Old girl, i go, Mpa/Mma, good morning, kee k'imere? And that's what's up!

Ona for kuku carry respect for head like gala

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by MoriamoGideon: 10:33am On Oct 05, 2020
Lol. Na Nigerian mentality

TODAY'S GIVEAWAY! GET A SIMPLE WEBSITE WITH DOMAIN, HOSTING, SSL & SEO IN 2 DAYS ALL FOR 9K!!

FIRST 2 CUSTOMERS ONLY

Chat/call:> +234 814 565 8405

1 Like

Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by Earth2: 10:33am On Oct 05, 2020
I find it insulting.how can a small boy or a small girl ask me" how are u" or hw u dey? cool
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by Beverlyjean(f): 10:33am On Oct 05, 2020
Iyoocartel:
Iyooooooo cartel

Adults with low self esteem precisely.
For ogbe even some broke lame ass adults find how va Insulting, they always feel they should be the one to ask you how va and you tell them how you are.

Those mugus don't know it's money that's seniority cool

Everything is not money...only in nigeria that money is god... well its still down to poverty mentality

1 Like

Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by maasoap(m): 10:34am On Oct 05, 2020
akmaldini:
I also found that insulting especially when the person is much more younger than i am...

Although, it might sound different if sir or ma is added. But I still can't address older people like that
Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by mancity11: 10:34am On Oct 05, 2020
This actually happened to me last saturday ehn....was like how do people force themselves to earn respect ehn

1 Like

Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by Charmingrascal(m): 10:34am On Oct 05, 2020
Tone of saying something matters

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by DamnnNiggarr: 10:35am On Oct 05, 2020
Zzor:
funny but true
imagine a boy of 15yrs, instead of greeting me "GOOD MORNING SIR" he went on to ask me "HOW ARE YOU"
I'll beat the hell outta his head.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Adults Find "How Are You?" Insulting? by Niceiroko: 10:35am On Oct 05, 2020
Zzor:
funny but true
when you com in like this
good morning sir,
how are you
i think thats how you should it

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Do Igbo's Have Mixed Ancestry / This White Man Speaks Edo, Benin Language But Has Never Been To Nigeria (Video) / Get To Know The Nok Culture, Nigeria’s Oldest Known Civilization (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.