Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,932 members, 7,828,250 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 07:17 AM

Yakasai: Buhari Lacks The Powers To Restructure Nigeria - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yakasai: Buhari Lacks The Powers To Restructure Nigeria (17794 Views)

Garba Shehu To Yakasai: Buhari's Support For Bola Tinubu Is Unquestionable / Ebun-Olu Adegboruwa: Buhari Lacks Power To Restrict Movement In Lagos, Abuja / Buhari Lacks Powers To Order Zakzaky’s Release – Presidency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yakasai: Buhari Lacks The Powers To Restructure Nigeria by Misterdhee1(m): 5:03pm On Oct 06, 2020
CodeTemplar:
The man is pushing the request for restructuring towards a bill that will be rejected by that notorious region.
But let them push it first. Northerners don't command a single voice anymore. Middle belt don't align with core northerners in a lot of political policies. If SW, SE, SS and few of the middle belt states can speak in unison, victory will be achieved. The bill is long overdue.
Re: Yakasai: Buhari Lacks The Powers To Restructure Nigeria by eagleu: 5:04pm On Oct 06, 2020
Everyone knows that Buhari and his rubber stamp Senate initiate and pass worthless bills all the time.

1 Like

Re: Yakasai: Buhari Lacks The Powers To Restructure Nigeria by DMerciful(m): 5:05pm On Oct 06, 2020
The North wants us to push the issue of restructuring to the corrupt NASS who are massively benefiting from the status quo same as the North. They said the NASS are constitutionally empowered to do it. Question is whose constitution? the fraudulent 1999 constitution imposed by the North through the military? This resistance to restructuring will certainly blow up in their faces!

1 Like

Re: Yakasai: Buhari Lacks The Powers To Restructure Nigeria by Figger(m): 5:05pm On Oct 06, 2020
but he(the president) has the power to veto any outcome(bill) presented to him for assent. we need to take this restructuring thingy by force, to hell with due process. hiss!!

1 Like

Re: Yakasai: Buhari Lacks The Powers To Restructure Nigeria by TinubuGoQuench(f): 5:06pm On Oct 06, 2020
360degreess:
.. Where is the RUGA today?.
Why are you thinking through your anus?

WILL YOU SHUT UP THERE!!!
Re: Yakasai: Buhari Lacks The Powers To Restructure Nigeria by Misterdhee1(m): 5:07pm On Oct 06, 2020
Coldie:

If it's a tall dream, then we as igbos need to come together settle down and plan about how we are going to do our own.

If we gave other Nigerians chance and the only thing they had in their mind is how to marginalize others, then let it be on the books, so when we will do ours nobody will complain about igbo domination.

If igbos can let go of Biafra cry, if Nigeria gives us power good but if they don't, I have a well thought up plan to fight back.

This is one of the issues with this system. Every tribe is bothered about Abuja, with little or no concern about development. BTW, igbo presidency irrespective of how sane, is another tall dream. Rather than fight for presidency which is mostly decided by northerners, let us fight for a stronger region and a weaker center. Once Abuja is less attractive, a lot of contemporary issues will be solved bottom-up.

2 Likes

Re: Yakasai: Buhari Lacks The Powers To Restructure Nigeria by DMerciful(m): 5:09pm On Oct 06, 2020
This is not a federal system! This is a pretense of a federal system. Show a country that practice this system apart from Nigeria and call it a federal system?
Misterdhee1:

Federalism has different species. What we practice is a unit federal system.
Re: Yakasai: Buhari Lacks The Powers To Restructure Nigeria by Coldie(m): 5:09pm On Oct 06, 2020
Misterdhee1:

But let them push it first. Northerners don't command a single voice anymore. Middle belt don't align with core northerners in a lot of political policies. If SW, SE, SS and few of the middle belt states can speak in unison, victory will be achieved. The bill is long overdue.

Ok brother tell us what exactly u want to restructure in the SE?

SW wants to control their affairs like 100% control of Lagos Nigerias commercial capital while they pay tax to the centre.

SS want 100% resource control.

If u from the SE is going for negotiate restructuring what are u agitating for them to restructure in the East?
Re: Yakasai: Buhari Lacks The Powers To Restructure Nigeria by Coldie(m): 5:11pm On Oct 06, 2020
DMerciful:
This is not a federal system! This is a pretense of a federal system. Show a country that practice this system apart from Nigeria and call it a federal system?
What do u call what Ghana practices?

Nigerias system is even better than Ghana.

Almost all the decisions about Ghana and it's regions are made in accra

1 Like

Re: Yakasai: Buhari Lacks The Powers To Restructure Nigeria by Misterdhee1(m): 5:12pm On Oct 06, 2020
Coldie:

SW wants to control their affairs like 100% control of Lagos Nigerias commercial capital while they pay tax to the centre.

If u from the SE is going for negotiate restructuring what are u agitating for them to restructure in the East?
I don't understand you. Are you saying igbos can't man their own affairs effectively and pay tax to the center? So what's the point in the clamor for Biafra if igbos like you are scared of resource control or better put, regionalism?
Re: Yakasai: Buhari Lacks The Powers To Restructure Nigeria by DMerciful(m): 5:13pm On Oct 06, 2020
I agree with you. The massive corruption we see today is because we accrue almost all resources to the centre where it becomes a national free-for-all. The centers should be made weak so the states or regions becomes self sufficient. Canada is a case study to reapply
Misterdhee1:

This is one of the issues with this system. Every tribe is bothered about Abuja, with little or no concern about development. BTW, igbo presidency irrespective of how sane, is another tall dream. Rather than fight for presidency which is mostly decided by northerners, let us fight for a stronger region and a weaker center. Once Abuja is less attractive, a lot of contemporary issues will be solved bottom-up.
Re: Yakasai: Buhari Lacks The Powers To Restructure Nigeria by Misterdhee1(m): 5:15pm On Oct 06, 2020
DMerciful:
I agree with you. The massive corruption we see today is because we accrue almost all resources to the centre where it becomes a national free-for-all. The centers should be made weak so the states or regions becomes self sufficient. Canada is a case study to reapply
Thank you. Those against restructuring act as though the definition isn't straightforward enough. Weaken the center, let each region man their affairs - or better still let each state manage their resources and pay some percentages to the center as tax. The center can be in charge of stuffs like foreign affairs. Once Abuja isn't attractive anymore, politics will attract more of performers than opportunists.

1 Like

Re: Yakasai: Buhari Lacks The Powers To Restructure Nigeria by DMerciful(m): 5:18pm On Oct 06, 2020
Restructuring is about having state police, having control over education so you can decide what will be the curriculum, having control over your resources, having control over healthcare, having control over emergency management,
having ability to remove quota system and celebrate meritocracy, having your own state grid vs national grid, having control over investment and technology. The benefits are endless and SE will do extremely well like was done during the regional govt of Michael Okpara
Coldie:

Re: Yakasai: Buhari Lacks The Powers To Restructure Nigeria by Nobody: 5:20pm On Oct 06, 2020
Elvictor:
they always lack power for good thing and have power to pass evil into laws.

they didn't deliberate electricity hike and many other hikes in legislature oh!
Abi oo grin grin
Re: Yakasai: Buhari Lacks The Powers To Restructure Nigeria by Coldie(m): 5:20pm On Oct 06, 2020
Misterdhee1:

Mostly decided by northerners right. And u want it to remain so?

So in your thinking if Abuja is less attractive states will start developing?

U and I know this is a lie.

Alot of states are receiving much money and nothing has changed you think it will change over night?

If Abuja relinquishes some powers some states will become no go areas cause it will be plunged back to 1970, look at hope uzodinma who made IMHA pass a law that gives him the power to arrest anybody in the state for as long as he chooses, imagine if more powers are given to governor's like that?

I hardly hear about FG owing salaries but u and I know states owe salaries like mad, imagine where there's state police and some states start owing police men 10months salaries. U are setting up a time bomb cause all those police men will turn to full time armed robbers.

The list goes on.

Ur location says Abuja and am surprised u think like this, am currently at Abuja, do u like the economic situation of our people at Abuja?

Your kind of thinking is full blown cowardice, people like u would go to a place instead of fighting for your right, u would go and live under Miserable condition just to avoid competition.

If we as igbos have this thinking we have failed the next generation of igbos, when they look at list of Nigeria president when Nigeria is 100years and find out only Nnamdi Azikiwe was close to power, I guess people like u will be happy.

U would tell them we don't need president undecided

2 Likes

Re: Yakasai: Buhari Lacks The Powers To Restructure Nigeria by DMerciful(m): 5:21pm On Oct 06, 2020
So you left the developed countries of Canada,
USA , UK, Australia etc to be benchmarking with Ghana? This is what is called comparative tragedies. You comparing yourself with another failed state instead of comparing yourself with European countries or North American countries. Be ambitious!
Coldie:

What do u call what Ghana practices?

Nigerias system is even better than Ghana.

Almost all the decisions about Ghana and it's regions are made in accra
Re: Yakasai: Buhari Lacks The Powers To Restructure Nigeria by Nobody: 5:22pm On Oct 06, 2020
eagleu:
Everyone knows that Buhari and his rubber stamp Senate initiate and pass worthless bills all the time.
Hahahahaha, truly.
Re: Yakasai: Buhari Lacks The Powers To Restructure Nigeria by ggood: 5:23pm On Oct 06, 2020
Supermugu:
grin Restructuring na small thing nowww !!!!!

DISINTEGRATING NA EM grin grin grin

Olodo you want to claim Niger Delta by force abi it's can never work , Niger Delta is not Biafra , Nigeria can only divide into two country that is southern and northern Nigeria
Re: Yakasai: Buhari Lacks The Powers To Restructure Nigeria by Coldie(m): 5:25pm On Oct 06, 2020
DMerciful:
Restructuring is about having state police, having control over education so you can decide what will be the curriculum, having control over your resources, having control over healthcare, having control over emergency management,
having ability to remove quota system and celebrate meritocracy, having your own state grid vs national grid, having control over investment and technology. The benefits are endless and SE will do extremely well like was done during the regional govt of Michael Okpara
Having control over education, you and I know these lies are now sth of the past states have full control of most of the things u said up there.

We have state school and federal schools, do u think federal government controls state schools?

Same goes with your healthcare, has the FG stopped any state from setting up state of the art health care facilities?

Has the FG stopped any state from setting up emergency Management?

I won't lie to u, if quota system is removed you are opening the igbos to full time legal marginalization.

All in all, you didn't give me any point of what I asked you, u just gave me general view.

I ASK AGAIN, WHAT IN THE SE DO U WANT TO BE RESTRUTURED

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yakasai: Buhari Lacks The Powers To Restructure Nigeria by DMerciful(m): 5:25pm On Oct 06, 2020
Competition among states will be the biggest motivation for them to develop. It's happening in Canada, they dont have two heads. You talked about Hope Uzodinma abusing is power as governor to make laws tru the house to give him more power to abuse but part of restructuring is to fix the electoral process where misfits can't be governors or easily booted out through credible electoral process.
Coldie:

Alot of states are receiving much money and nothing has changed you think it will change over night?

If Abuja relinquishes some powers some states will become no go areas cause it will be plunged back to 1970, look at hope uzodinma who made IMHA pass a law that gives him the power to arrest anybody in the state for as long as he chooses, imagine if more powers are given to governor's like that?

I hardly hear about FG owing salaries but u and I know states owe salaries like mad, imagine where there's state police and some states start owing police men 10months salaries. U are setting up a time bomb cause all those police men will turn to full time armed robbers.

The list goes on.

Ur location says Abuja and am surprised u think like this, am currently at Abuja, do u like the economic situation of our people at Abuja?

Your kind of thinking is full blown cowardice, people like u would go to a place instead of fighting for your right, u would go and live under Miserable condition just to avoid competition.

If we as igbos have this thinking we have failed the next generation of igbos, when they look at list of Nigeria president when Nigeria is 100years and find out only Nnamdi Azikiwe was close to power, I guess people like u will be happy.

Re: Yakasai: Buhari Lacks The Powers To Restructure Nigeria by Coldie(m): 5:27pm On Oct 06, 2020
DMerciful:
So you left the developed countries of Canada,
USA , UK, Australia etc to be benchmarking with Ghana? This is what is called comparative tragedies. You comparing yourself with another failed state instead of comparing yourself with European countries or North American countries. Be ambitious!
Reason alot of European countries have an advantage with regards to federalism is that alot of EU country's states are now viable enough to sustain themselves, before they reached this level it took centuries U AND I KNOW THAT

1 Like

Re: Yakasai: Buhari Lacks The Powers To Restructure Nigeria by Coldie(m): 5:30pm On Oct 06, 2020
DMerciful:
Competition among states will be the biggest motivation for them to develop. It's happening in Canada, they dont have two heads. You talked about Hope Uzodinma abusing is power as governor to make laws tru the house to give him more power to abuse but part of restructuring is to fix the electoral process where misfits can't be governors or easily booted out through credible electoral process.
You keep mentioning Canada Canada.

Africa is Africa, u can never change that o.

Africa is Africa that's why South Africa that was once a developed country with nuclear war heads are right now shouting foreigners are taking our job, yet Canada opened their borders for foreigners.

It's not cause of this or that just know Africa is and always will be Africa
Re: Yakasai: Buhari Lacks The Powers To Restructure Nigeria by DMerciful(m): 5:30pm On Oct 06, 2020
Restructuring is taking us to federalism where the states control their resources and pay a percentage to run the federal govt who will be concerned with immigration, territorial integrity,
military, supreme court etc. We are not restructuring based on regions. This geopolitical region is a fraud as it has no govt or parliament. We are giving the states autonomy to succeed or fail if they choose to!
Coldie:

Having control over education, you and I know these lies are now sth of the past states have full control of most of the things u said up there.

We have state school and federal schools, do u think federal government controls state schools?

Same goes with your healthcare, has the FG stopped any state from setting up state of the art health care facilities?

Has the FG stopped any state from setting up emergency Management?

I won't lie to u, if quota system is removed you are opening the igbos to full time legal marginalization.

All in all, you didn't give me any point of what I asked you, u just gave me general view.

I ASK AGAIN, WHAT IN THE SE DO U WANT TO BE RESTRUTURED
Re: Yakasai: Buhari Lacks The Powers To Restructure Nigeria by Misterdhee1(m): 5:31pm On Oct 06, 2020
Coldie:

The list goes on.

Regionalism breeds innovativeness and competitiveness. I'm tired of explaining to you. What will a southern presidency achieve for an average southerner? Weakening the center will breed serious and innovative leaders, rather than the largely ineffective ones that are only bothered about enriching themselves and their cliques with monies from SS. Any state that can't survive, should be paired with neighboring state. Study the Canadian political structure, or read about the region political structure we practiced before the current system.

1 Like

Re: Yakasai: Buhari Lacks The Powers To Restructure Nigeria by Ahmeduana(m): 5:33pm On Oct 06, 2020
Supermugu:
grin Restructuring na small thing nowww !!!!!

DISINTEGRATING NA EM grin grin grin

Where is South-South in the equation?

1 Like

Re: Yakasai: Buhari Lacks The Powers To Restructure Nigeria by DMerciful(m): 5:34pm On Oct 06, 2020
Not really, they are viable because they believe they have the human resources to succeed.
Agriculture can sustain any people who have lands as a basic while technology, manufacturing, mineral resources etc will make them richer. But agriculture is sufficient in itself! We cannot continue to depend on Niger Delta oil, before oil we were prospering
Coldie:

Reason alot of European countries have an advantage with regards to federalism is that alot of EU country's states are now viable enough to sustain themselves, before they reached this level it took centuries U AND I KNOW THAT
Re: Yakasai: Buhari Lacks The Powers To Restructure Nigeria by georgeakins: 5:35pm On Oct 06, 2020
Most of those shouting restructuring are just playing to the gallery. They don't really understand the meaning. Only a military head of states or national assembly can do restructuring. But the national assembly will not do it because of what they stand to lose.

2 Likes

Re: Yakasai: Buhari Lacks The Powers To Restructure Nigeria by Coldie(m): 5:36pm On Oct 06, 2020
Misterdhee1:

Regionalism breeds innovativeness and competitiveness. I'm tired of explaining to you. What will an southern presidency achieve for an average southerner? Weakening the center will bread serious and innovative leaders, rather than the largely ineffective ones that are only bothered about enriching themselves and their cliques with monies from SS. Any state that can't survive, should be paired with neighboring state. Study the Canadain political structure, or read about the region political structure we practiced before the current system.
Seriously... LoL

If with billions of allocations monthly nothing much is on ground, u think when the billions stop coming over night innovativeness and competitiveness will start over night...lol

What will happen is that the wealth gap and poverty gap between states will become far too much.

Poor states will become deserted as everyone will want to be in rich states.

Some state will be so poor that they won't be able to even fund their police, once u enter the state it's between u vs anything u see take.

Is that what u want..
LoL

2 Likes

Re: Yakasai: Buhari Lacks The Powers To Restructure Nigeria by DMerciful(m): 5:39pm On Oct 06, 2020
What do you mean Africa is Africa? Are we unique to failures? Do you know that indigenous Canadians do not make upto 10% of Canada, the rest are immigrants even if it means immigrating 100yrs ago. Bottom line is that the European colonised us for failures by joining different nationalities in a 'soup' of confusion while they partitioned themselves along ethnic nationalities. It's the overwhelming mix of nationalities that's impede Africa development. That's why we are saying that we should restructure to a loose federation so that different nationalities can pursue their aspirations in a common border!
Coldie:

You keep mentioning Canada Canada.

Africa is Africa, u can never change that o.

Africa is Africa that's why South Africa that was once a developed country with nuclear war heads are right now shouting foreigners are taking our job, yet Canada opened their borders for foreigners.

It's not cause of this or that just know Africa is and always will be Africa
Re: Yakasai: Buhari Lacks The Powers To Restructure Nigeria by Coldie(m): 5:39pm On Oct 06, 2020
DMerciful:
Not really, they are viable because they believe they have the human resources to succeed.
Agriculture can sustain any people who have lands as a basic which technology, manufacturing, mineral resources etc will make them richer. But agriculture is sufficient in itself! We cannot continue to depend on Niger Delta oil, before oil we were prospering
The major reason why before oil it seemed like we were prospering was apart from the fact that Nigeria population was far less than this, because of the fact that Nigeria was just civilizing i.e less graduates, more people in villages(rural) areas, govt didn't have much problems.

That was why back then even if u are just a primary school cert holder u could get a job. But can u say the same to right now?
Re: Yakasai: Buhari Lacks The Powers To Restructure Nigeria by Nobody: 5:39pm On Oct 06, 2020
muykem:
This is exactly my point that didn't go down well with many people here on nairaland. President power is also limited since all his actions must conform with constitution. The army of government that empowered to alter constitution is legislature. Buhari has no power to restructure or refuse to restructure Nigeria. The power rest on Nigeria people through their representatives at state and national assembly.
I'm telling...this is because many Nigerians are educated illiterates, imagine elders of their calibre, despite all their political aspirations but dnt knw how to achieve their manifestations.
All states must call for public hearing with their law makers presence and tell them their wish but all that noise is opposition in disguise but not a genuine call.

1 Like

Re: Yakasai: Buhari Lacks The Powers To Restructure Nigeria by Misterdhee1(m): 5:39pm On Oct 06, 2020
Coldie:

Seriously... LoL

If with billions of allocations monthly nothing much is on ground, u think when the billions stop coming over night innovativeness and competitiveness will start over night...lol

What will happen is that the wealth gap and poverty gap between states will become far too much.

Poor states will become deserted as everyone will want to be in rich states.

Some state will be so poor that they won't be able to even fund their police, once u enter the state it's between u vs anything u see take.

Is that what u want..
LoL
Okay

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Diaspora Donation To Obi’s Campaign Not Unlawful – Lawyer / Seven Kano Protesters Arrested, Yoruba Community Fears Attack / Okorocha's Aide Arrested For Nkiru's Kidnap

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.