Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,584 members, 7,958,803 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 01:49 AM

President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? (6178 Views)

US VP Calls Jonathan, Backs Use Of Card Reader - Thecable / Jonathan Backs Soludo For Anambra Guber Polls / Home | News | Jonathan Backs Push For New Revenue Formula..... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by Solomon227(m): 10:17pm On Mar 04, 2011
Abeg make una free my brother biko.,.,.,is it not when u have plan that you can talk about them

[size=20pt]Vote Buhari-Bakare 2011[/size] for the future of our children
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by jumobi1(m): 11:19pm On Mar 04, 2011
Bad but debates are overrated.
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by Pharoh: 11:41pm On Mar 04, 2011
honeric01:

Have you actually watched any of the campaign PDP? he reads everything from the book and even gets expo from others standing besides him, hardly talks from his head.

What is wrong in reading from the book? people do cram a lot just to come and woo the audience. My brother it doesn't matter to me if he reads from a book or a teleprompter which most world leaders do. The goal for me is actual delivery of results and putting words into actions that would yield meaningful results. Like the poster said below, debates are over rated though it is good but not compulsory in my opinion as there are better substitutes for debates.

Debates would serve the western public well where there is high literacy level and most people understand the general language. How many nigerians has access to television, can speak english or is even literate enough to understand the whole stuffs they are debating on tv. The best way of campaigning and passing your message in soceities like nigeria is to use various mediums of engagement that are very effective. Interest groups, avertisements, party meetings, nationwide campaign or just name it. There are agents also working for you to communicate with the populace in their language and level of understanding. The number of people in the informal sectors is very much greater than the number of people in the formal sector so who are you targeting with your debate?.

How many market women, mechanic, carpenter or vulcanizer will watch the debate and make sense of it. How will you reach those people with a debate if not interest groups, meeting with the leaders who will in turn pass your message to the rank and file. Debate is necessary in some societies but definitely not Nigeria because the enlightened ones you want to reach with your debate are sophisticated enough to know where to get information about your programs. You guys are just trying to make a mountain out of nothing but seriously ask yourself what is the penetration level of these debates?, what segments and amount of the population can it reach. The purpose of debate is to get the electorate so there are other effective means to that simple. It is not compulsory so you guys should just drop it and vote for those you feel deserves your vote.
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by seanet02: 11:55pm On Mar 04, 2011
Why are you People so wicked? Why did you want GEJ to show his Cluelessness on such a High Scale? Did you want to bring him to disrepute? Since you all know ODECHUKWU is Inept to lead us why did you want Ribadu and Buhari to take him to the cleaners? Imagine if Pat Utomi is also there, he will tore GEJ into Pieces with his Master Economic Plans. Abeg leave ODECHUKWU alone.
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by Udevex: 12:20am On Mar 05, 2011
Is it Buhari that talks as if he's cooking yams in his mouth that can debate GEJ? lol
All those clowns want to get cheap publicity from debates when they largely abandoned the campaign trail.
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by AbuMaryam1(m): 1:00am On Mar 05, 2011
seanet02:

Why are you People so wicked? Why did you want GEJ to show his Cluelessness on such a High Scale? Did you want to bring him to disrepute? Since you all know ODECHUKWU is Inept to lead us why did you want Ribadu and Buhari to take him to the cleaners? Imagine if Pat Utomi is also there, he will tore GEJ into Pieces with his Master Economic Plans. Abeg leave ODECHUKWU alone.
Cheers
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by apoti(m): 6:29am On Mar 05, 2011
U de vex?:

Is it Buhari that talks as if he's cooking yams in his mouth that can debate GEJ? lol
All those clowns want to get cheap publicity from debates when they largely abandoned the campaign trail.

At least Buhari is not running away, neither is he afraid of debating. It is your GEJ Odechuckwu1 of Bayelsa that is scared. We are not interested in the campaigns where all they do is tell lies and deceive people. Let them all come live on TV, tell us their plans and answer questions live
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by MeAboki(m): 6:53am On Mar 05, 2011
seanet02:

Why are you People so wicked? Why did you want GEJ to show his Cluelessness on such a High Scale? Did you want to bring him to disrepute? Since you all know [b]ODECHUKWU [/b]is Inept to lead us why did you want Ribadu and Buhari to take him to the cleaners? Imagine if Pat Utomi is also there, he will tore GEJ into Pieces with his Master Economic Plans. Abeg leave [b]ODECHUKWU [/b]alone.

shocked shocked cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by Udevex: 7:36am On Mar 05, 2011
apoti:

At least Buhari is not running away, neither is he afraid of debating. It is your GEJ Odechuckwu1 of Bayelsa that is scared. We are not interested in the campaigns where all they do is tell lies and deceive people. Let them all come live on TV, tell us their plans and answer questions live

They can tell us what their plans are on the campaign trail. Challenging the incumbent is an overused trick by opposition parties for cheap popularity, in Nigeria's case, some of the other candidates are not even campaigning, others are just starting, while GEJ has been meeting Nigerians and campaigning for weeks. If I were him I wouldn't give anybody cheap publicity.

Tony Blair did three terms as Prime Minister and always laughed off any challenges for a debate. Thats the way its done, the US is an exception; however, in their case the parties are divided by clear cut ideologies. What ideology does any Nigerian party have and what differentiates them? There's absolutely nothing. So what are they going to debate anyway?

I want to see goods, not empty debates to an aloof audience that pretends the parties have differences to offer.
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by Pharoh: 8:52am On Mar 05, 2011
apoti:

Sorry to burst your bubble but majority of the electorate believe in the campaign more than this useless debate. Campaigning has been used for ages in nigeria and it is the most effective way to communicate your programs to the voters. Let them come live on tv like every nigeria has access to a television and there would be electricity to watch it right?.

People are just looking for cheap publicity and goodluck will never give them, debate or not every nigerian knows who to vote for and that is simple. I am sure you voted for buhari in 1999, 2003 and 2007 right or is it now that buhari became your savior?.

We dey laugh . . cool
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by 9ijaMan: 10:09am On Mar 05, 2011
Pharoh:

Sorry to burst your bubble but majority of the electorate believe in the campaign more than this useless debate. Campaigning has been used for ages in nigeria and it is the most effective way to communicate your programs to the voters. Let them come live on tv like every nigeria has access to a television and there would be electricity to watch it right?.

People are just looking for cheap publicity and goodluck will never give them, debate or not every nigerian knows who to vote for and that is simple. I am sure you voted for buhari in 1999, 2003 and 2007 right or is it now that buhari became your savior?.

We dey laugh . . cool

For once I agree with you that most Nigerians believe in campaign. However, even on the campaign trail, GEJ is still being whooped. Abeg show us any pix of GEJ's campaign trail with as many attendants as shown below.

So who do the people prefer even if we have to use campaign trails as a guide? Despite all the resources available to GEJ he's still being trounced on the campaign trails.
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by honeric01(m): 10:51am On Mar 05, 2011
Pharoh:

What is wrong in reading from the book? people do cram a lot just to come and woo the audience. My brother it doesn't matter to me if he reads from a book or a teleprompter which most world leaders do. The goal for me is actual delivery of results and putting words into actions that would yield meaningful results. Like the poster said below, debates are over rated though it is good but not compulsory in my opinion as there are better substitutes for debates.

Debates would serve the western public well where there is high literacy level and most people understand the general language. How many nigerians has access to television, can speak english or is even literate enough to understand the whole stuffs they are debating on tv. The best way of campaigning and passing your message in soceities like nigeria is to use various mediums of engagement that are very effective. Interest groups, avertisements, party meetings, nationwide campaign or just name it. There are agents also working for you to communicate with the populace in their language and level of understanding. The number of people in the informal sectors is very much greater than the number of people in the formal sector so who are you targeting with your debate?.

How many market women, mechanic, carpenter or vulcanizer will watch the debate and make sense of it. How will you reach those people with a debate if not interest groups, meeting with the leaders who will in turn pass your message to the rank and file. Debate is necessary in some societies but definitely not Nigeria because the enlightened ones you want to reach with your debate are sophisticated enough to know where to get information about your programs. You guys are just trying to make a mountain out of nothing but seriously ask yourself what is the penetration level of these debates?, what segments and amount of the population can it reach. The purpose of debate is to get the electorate so there are other effective means to that simple. It is not compulsory so you guys should just drop it and vote for those you feel deserves your vote.

No, you're wrong again, a PHd holding president should be able to tell his followers how's going to do what he's promising them without having to read from the book, if you have an idea on how to solve a problem, you don't have to read it from the books ALL THE TIME, but for GEJ, he has never said anything on his own, if he has the idea, he should be able to say them without having to read all the ideas from the book, and sometimes he even miss up words he read and those behind him always end up correcting him. Thats not a sign of someone who truly knows what he's reading or planning to do.

Now to why debate is WAY BETTER than the useless campaigning they have been doing.

There's nothing new with their various campaigning, there's nothing they're saying that we have not heard for the past 12 years.

Campaigning is always about "we will" we will

Debate is about "How will you?"

Debate is about "This is how i will"

DEBATE IS WHERE YOU SEE AND HEAR THOSE WITH SUPERIOR IDEAS, PLANS AND HOW IT'S GOING TO BE CARRIED OUT.

Debate separates mediocre, quacks and noisemakers from those who truly have an idea of what's on ground.

Hope you understand better now? a learned person should always advocate for a debate and not some silly lies of a campaign they waste money on.
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by Pharoh: 12:09pm On Mar 05, 2011
9ijaMan:

For once I agree with you that most Nigerians believe in campaign. However, even on the campaign trail, GEJ is still being whooped. Abeg show us any pix of GEJ's campaign trail with as many attendants as shown below.

So who do the people prefer even if we have to use campaign trails as a guide? Despite all the resources available to GEJ he's still being trounced on the campaign trails.

I have better things to do with my time than posting campaign pictures sorry, you can do what you want if you have been paid for it or just doing it for the sake of your passion. Atiku was running his mouth before the primaries but he got the shock of his life at the polls, same with gani and buhari in the previous elections. The election results will speak for itself and election is not won by mammoth crowd or whatever you want to call it. The most important thing is the outcome of the election and not campaign crowd, just have patience it will be settled within the next few months. I am sure that you are not traveling so just have patience to see the results of the election then you can judge who has been trouncing who during the campaign.
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by Pharoh: 12:19pm On Mar 05, 2011
honeric01:

No, you're wrong again, a PHd holding president should be able to tell his followers how's going to do what he's promising them without having to read from the book, if you have an idea on how to solve a problem, you don't have to read it from the books ALL THE TIME, but for GEJ, he has never said anything on his own, if he has the idea, he should be able to say them without having to read all the ideas from the book, and sometimes he even miss up words he read and those behind him always end up correcting him. Thats not a sign of someone who truly knows what he's reading or planning to do.

Reading from the book or spewing out what you have crammed on your head has never been my problem but the quality of the ideas you are presenting to the audience. I would rather have a good and implementable idea that is read from a book than a stupid idea that can be read to me off hand, it is not the presentation but the viability of your ideas. I am sure you can present your thesis off your head without a power point presentation, you can present your plans in company meetings without using some power points presentation. My brother it really doesn't matter if you read from a book or not to me honestly but the quality of what you are presenting. Even bush and obama makes presentations through a teleprompter or a wireless mic attached to their suits so what is all this fuse about not reading from the book.
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by Nobody: 4:51pm On Mar 05, 2011
[size=15pt]He would coz he has nothing reasonable to say.[/size]
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by Ekpoma1: 4:55pm On Mar 05, 2011
I dont knw why we Nigerians lay so much emphasis on frivolous issues. What are they goin 2 say? Is it is nt the same story we are tired of hearin. All i want is action.
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by heilige(m): 5:00pm On Mar 05, 2011
Debate na real time exam, no cheating, GEJ don gas, him dey fear, cos EXPO no dey,
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by 9ja4eva: 5:10pm On Mar 05, 2011
GEJ is so dumb.Chai na wa o
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by Tunmi(f): 5:22pm On Mar 05, 2011
1025:

is not only jonathan, it is against the law of pdp as a party to attand public debates. i was listening to dosumu (pdp gubernitorial candidate of lagos) on wazobia one day and i felt too bad. can u invite my state(imo) gov - ohakim for a public debate? the gov of abia state ran away so let us not blame joe rather it is their party.
Dosunmu participated in the Lagos Gubernatorial Debate. Jonathan has no excuse other than e "did not understand the content" of the form he was supposed to sign. Shame, really.

Now will this be on YouTube? Please say yes.
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by maclatunji: 5:48pm On Mar 05, 2011
Fear don catch Beaf and his principal. What a shame! Breath of Fresh Air cannot even show face for global audience. Now that we know that the President is afraid of live television. We need to get live coverage of every polling station (no matter the cost) during the April elections. All of these feeds will provide evidence if "unknown gunmen" try to snatch ballot boxes. We need to start stockpiling spy cameras already.
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by Pharoh: 5:53pm On Mar 05, 2011
Tunmi:

Dosunmu participated in the Lagos Gubernatorial Debate. Jonathan has no excuse other than e "did not understand the content" of the form he was supposed to sign. Shame, really.

Now will this be on YouTube? Please say yes.

Debates are not compulsory and there are other means he can use to reach out to the citizens. The governorship debates just showed us that we clearly do not know what is a debate and how to conduct one. Anyway i like your notes about the governors debate but i think you should give credit to dosumu as well because he raised good points too.
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by elcij(m): 6:01pm On Mar 05, 2011
Jonathan is an incompetent, clueless, unprepared, visionless and now clearly a cowardly individual on top of it. Even Buhari who Pat Utomi disgraced in a debate last election is still not backing down from the challenge.
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by oluwabamis(m): 6:10pm On Mar 05, 2011
this is an opportunity for jeg to showcase what good pdp has for nigerians, and he blew it. this action of his, is just to show that he can not convince nigerians about his plans for us. he knew that debate or not inec will give him victory
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by tlops(m): 6:16pm On Mar 05, 2011
Campaign = helps the contestant to feed the electorate what he wants. its most times a one-way road. You speak without the option of listening not to talk of the stampede risk. its an opportunity to lie to the electorate as we have seen so far in Nigeria.

Debate= it well organised gives the electorate an idea of what to expect, the aptness of the debaters, and how much they know abt the situation on ground. its a two-way road plus you sit at the comfort of your home. its possible to lie to the electorate but the debater must be willing to back it up with "grammar".

latter GEJ will say he has Nigerians on his mind.
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by lepa001(f): 6:29pm On Mar 05, 2011
What do you guys want from a product of rigging, GEJ dey scare me self
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by 9ijaMan: 6:37pm On Mar 05, 2011
maclatunji:

Fear don catch Beaf and his principal. What a shame! Breath of Fresh Air cannot even show face for global audience. Now that we know that the President is afraid of live television. We need to get live coverage of every polling station (no matter the cost) during the April elections. All of these feeds will provide evidence if "unknown gunmen" try to snatch ballot boxes. We need to start stockpiling spy cameras already.

Don't worry yourself too much on that. The Nokia phones, Iphones, Black Berries, Samsung, and Motorola phones will do just fine.
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by publisher(m): 6:38pm On Mar 05, 2011
i just saw (on tv) buhari/bakare's rally in port harcourt,less than 600 people in attendance!!!
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by Dungren1(m): 7:12pm On Mar 05, 2011
publisher:

i just saw (on tv) buhari/bakare's rally in port harcourt,less than 600 people in attendance!!!

You must be a spiritualist to be able to count all the attendees through your TV set. Come up with something more solid wink.

BB 2011 all the way cheesy.
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by debest1(m): 7:16pm On Mar 05, 2011
@op
of what use is the debate? the candidates just use it for cheap publicity at the end of the day majority of the electorate have decided on who to vote for
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by squino(m): 7:16pm On Mar 05, 2011
@ pharoh, thank you my brother for enlightening them,
i believe all those posting against Gej are using free browsing because i see no reason why they will pay for data to post what they are not sure of, i wonder if there was a debate before he stabilized petroleum prices to N65 under 5moths in office something Nigerians have not enjoyed  in years, i wonder if there was a debate before there was a improvement in the power sector, i wonder if there was a debate before minimum wage in Nigeria was increased to N18,000 all these in how many months?
The fact that you are a phd holder doesnt make you a good public speaker but an embodiment of knowledge which i believe. can be communicated for the needed growth and development, this man has given us in months what others have not in years which is a clear indication of what is to come not by boasting or debate as you call it, we should learn to be innovative and not copy, America and other developed Nations did not start with debates, so we should get to that bridge before crossing.
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by squino(m): 7:27pm On Mar 05, 2011
for the population @ rallies, remember the majority are there for the monetary gains same people @ PDP rally same @ cpc and anpp and the rest of em, political prostitution'.
Re: President Jonathan Backs Out Of Presidential Debate? by MAYOWAAK: 7:31pm On Mar 05, 2011
Pharoh:

Yes he is a public speaker and he has done that in various capacities, conferences and even rallies if you want to factor this election campaigning so there is not doubt about that.  He simply is not interested so why can't you guys get it, listen to the ones who wants to debate and choose who to vote for. Those that will vote for goodluck already know how and when he has communicated his plans to them. It is not by force to debate or what exactly is the issue here. What is the fuse about this debate or did MKO had a debate before the presidential election in 1993? same for shagari and the first republic elections. What is the benefit of a debate that cannot be served by other means, he has communicated with Nigerians on facebook, through his campaign and he thinks that is enough.

Being a Phd holder does not translate to a competent public speaker, you must have gone through the presentations of many lecturers and i doubt if they all performed equally. Being a good public debater does not translate to a better administrator or manager. It is one thing to perform very well at the debate and another thing to perform well when you are actually given the job to do. You guys are just trying to make a mountain out of nothing and i doubt any one of you would even manage a local government if given the job. A good strategist picks the battle he has the highest comparative advantage of winning and he is not driven by impulse or popular opinions.

There was a debate  for the presidential and vice  presidential aspirants in 1993 prior to the June 12 election which was televised.Please be corrected.As for 1983,I was too young then to know.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Presidency Shops For New Igp •2 Digs On The Card / Power Supply To Hit 9,000mw In December, Nnaji Promises / Pictures Of The Contents Of The Russian Plane Impounded At Kano Airport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.